Question about death penalty

selgon1234

Yousoro~
Elite Member
May 18, 2012
I'm not sure if I should post this here, so please tell me if I did something wrong.
I got this project about death penalty and if anyone want to, please answer these questions.
1. Is it fair that death penalty exist in most American States while other States don't have it?
2. Is death penalty fair in the first place? Or is it wrong?
I'm sorry for asking these questions and for my grammar.
Thank you.

Not really helpful, but I believe death penalty were created to deter criminals, similar to public tortures and such
As to whether things are good or wrong, it really depends on your own opinion
For these kinds of projects, I was usually told to just put down my opinion, and try to persuade the readers to think the same way as i DO

The way the death penalty is set up i hate.
I think the the death penalty is fine but the fact they make the person stay in prison for so many years up to 40 or so in some cases is stupid.
The inmate is kept in solitary confinement depending on the person which is completely inhumane, and worse then any punishment, as it causes mental illnesses and is a form of torture. There are many reasons to execute someone with the death penalty and another one is to save costs as it costs alot to keep them in a prison.

[MENTION=13070]Ren Nanase[/MENTION]; I see. The way it is set up. I didn't think about that, thank you. I had a bit trouble writing, so I'm grateful. 6 pages with text only is a bit hard for me.
I'm not sure whether death penalty is good or not. Because there are no death penalty in my country. So it's a bit hard for me to have a opinion.

I am kind of split on the death penalty. On one hand, a mass murder/rapist probably deserves to be put to death, and have justice for the victims, and their families. On the other hand, I think a life behind bars, with no freedom is worse then death. You have no freedom, no hope, and very limited rights as a prisoner, so that to me is worse then being put to death. I live in Illinois, the death penalty was abolished in my state a few years ago.

Hmm... well theres the problem that it actually costs more to go through all the trials before they die than to just sentence them to life in prison... Life in prison also isnt till death either... I think there was an age where they let you out? Some people may also be proven innocent and sure being in jail isnt nice but at least theyll be freed while death is permanent...

Personally, I find that the death penalty is a "good" thing.

Please note that I put the word "good" in quotes, since the definition of "good" is really ambiguous when used in this context.

If I were to defend my argument, I'd say that the death penalty is really given to someone who does not deserve to live. Aka, stole more than one person's life (since killing one person = First degree murder = life in prison) against their will.

Then I'm sure people will be making sarcastic comments about how the soldiers in an army deserve to die, but these are two different things. Death in battle is resulting of a fair conflict which both parties are already conscious about. Simply put, death in a battlefield is something the person decided to risk for whatever reason.

Murder, on the other hand, has a different word for it, because the victim may not have wanted to die.

In this sense, I guess I'm promoting the "eye for an eye" moral (except it's not exactly the same...), but I ask the rhetorical question "Why are Laws even created in the first place?"

inb4 philosophy.

you don't get let out of prison just for reaching a certain age, (not in the US anyway) you might be transferred somewhere where they can take better care of you, but you are still a prisoner. Life in prison without parole pretty much means you will be in prison till the day you die

What I find really stupid are homeless people who commit crimes only so they can go into prison. Despite how awful prison sounds like, it still gives you food and warm shelter that homeless don't have.

I know I'm changing the topic here, but what do you think about these kinds of individuals? (The people who commit crimes because they have "nothing to lose"?)

i find it kinda funny that this is an issue. the reason this is up for debate is because we think we're too civil for these kind of things, when a little less than 100 years ago, we were still doing public executions. i personally don't think anything's wrong with the death penalty. if it was legal in all states, and just a little bit more accepted, the cost would probably go down. a lot of money goes to the courtrooms (appeals and such) over the years between incarceration and the actual execution. another problem with the death penalty is because there is still that 0.01% chance that the person is innocent.

What I find really stupid are homeless people who commit crimes only so they can go into prison. Despite how awful prison sounds like, it still gives you food and warm shelter that homeless don't have.

I know I'm changing the topic here, but what do you think about these kinds of individuals? (The people who commit crimes because they have "nothing to lose"?)

now this is an actual problem. my uncle used to do this. he would do that all the time until my grandma decided to take him in to put a stop to it. it's a problem. and if i was homeless. honestly, i'd probably do the same thing

Reactions: namalandrcont
We dont have the death penalty in my country but i have looked into how it is done and the affects it has on people who are on death row etc. Also i would be looking at the new artical where states are trying new methods to kill there death row inmates because the company that supplied the lethal injection stopped supplying the states with it.

We dont have the death penalty in my country but i have looked into how it is done and the affects it has on people who are on death row etc. Also i would be looking at the new artical where states are trying new methods to kill there death row inmates because the company that supplied the lethal injection stopped supplying the states with it.

oh, and not to mention, the cost of the lethal injection, the repeated times they have to check to make sure it'll be painless and humane, etc.

My state still has it :( It seems though the only people who were executed were murderers of some horrible degree.

I believe execution by state is ineffective, costly, and a waste of time. On one side of history, only people who were scared of other people would demand an execution by the state for the people they were scared of. Like Kings of ancient lands.

Trying to dance around with our forum rules here, but ever since ancient history, the death penalty was reserved for people who broke the most sacred laws of the land... or who had committed some kind of crime that was so horrible, all of society demanded payment.

As [MENTION=40801]infamous[/MENTION] touched on, the cost of euthanizing or the electric chair... or some other form of death is expensive. Cynically speaking, Execution is a system that has to profit someone. The bill for someone getting the death penalty has to go to someone with money. It was way cheaper back in history to execute someone than it is now.

Another thing, about being executed "humanely"... Cynically speaking here. If a person committed a crime that was so horrible, like murdering people or deliberately trying to inflict as much pain and suffering that could possibly be brought upon someone... then no, the person getting executed should not be given an option for being put down humanely. But the HRA, the courts, the church people, the hippies, and maybe John Wayne have created a huge mess of politics that is still being argued about what is humane and what is not.

Note: I threw John Wayne in there because of how nice he is to bad guys in his movies. Never shoots them in back, tries to talk to them first, etc.

Edit: +1 for thread OP. Nice topic. And this thread is just fine where it is.

Well, in my country, you can get the death penalty for trafficking over 15g (I think) of drugs...

And that is something I feel strongly against.

Another argument for the death penalty that I've heard before is that it is too much a strain on the country's resources to keep criminals alive

Well i guess it costs less to kill them where you are then? Since 15g is death then they wont have to go through whatever court cases except maybe the first to determine if they had actually committed a crime... Its actually more of a strain on resources here than to just sentence them to life... Since they will keep going to court to try and stay alive as long as they can... And if they stick around for long enough then theyve used more money than it would cost to just leave them to rot in jail...

Many things I find are pretty ridiculous.

Death just for smuggling drugs? Er...

Although I do understand that such laws are more for deterrence (at least I hope so)

Well in an economical sense (rather than ethical) it makes sense to use the death penalty any time that the cost of removing a person far outweighs the burden put on society if they were kept alive, especially cost/benefit-wise.
Keeping someone in jail for a life sentence introduces a huge burden on society, and the person probably brings no benefit. In such cases it seems far more constructive to end them.

[MENTION=251]Joyjason[/MENTION]; no method is going to be perfect, but I'd be interested to see statistics of certain crimes in places that actively use the death penalty compared with places where it is either illegal, or not practiced.

no method is going to be perfect, but I'd be interested to see statistics of certain crimes in places that actively use the death penalty compared with places where it is either illegal, or not practiced.

I'd also be interested too. But being the cynical person I am, I'm going to make a couple of assumptions:
1) People won't know their laws (since you'd be surprised at the number of individuals who doesn't know what "Miranda Warning" is)
2) Considering how some states already have systems that pretty much kill the person socially (since a first degree felon will have a hard time getting jobs or services) and people still kill each other...
3) Along with the fact that a lot of people will simply push their limits

I don't think there would be too much of a difference in crime numbers between areas with or without death penalties. This is assuming all the other factors (city density, wealth, population, etc...) remain the same.

That's my two cents, though

most laws do deter people. But when it comes down to it. if you are poor you will do almost anything to earn money. in saying this alot of places just pay off the cops etc to let them pass.

Thailand for example is if you have the money you can get off without an issue, if you are poor well you are screwed.

If the death penalty's were faster to be acted on i would say people would use it as a form of suicide.(Trust me i have thought about it as a form).

most laws do deter people. But when it comes down to it. if you are poor you will do almost anything to earn money.

Exactly, although this is just my assumptions speaking.
Ideally, a better way to prevent/curb crime would be to provide proper help before one is pushed by circumstance into committing a crime, and not harsh(er) punishments such as the death penalty. But the world isn't ideal.

My opinion is that the death penalty should only be reserved for mentally competent adults who killed with the intention of killing. I can't really think of any other crime that can warrant such a punishment, and to be honest I have no idea what a life imprisonment is for. It has nothing to do with reflecting and repenting on part of the criminal, it is just the state (or society) putting the criminal out of the picture.

It's hard. I don't think I have a stance on the issue. As it stands, justice needs to be done to wrongdoers, but that word in and of itself opens up a myriad of new, can-of-worm kind of questions. Whose justice? What kind of justice? How do you define "justice"? Who gets to define justice? Just the fact that there's a discussion about capital punishment on an anime forum proves that while a deed like murder is generally perceived as "wrong" or "bad," there's a plethora of different extents that people argue to which redress needs to be sought.

There are a number of reasons why I consider it hard to pick a stance on this. One such reason is that I have problems with the justifications deployed on both sides of the debate. That is, when someone advocates either for or against capital punishment, I sometimes consider the rationale sketchy at best. The most common example, of course, is the justification of death for murderers because "life is sacred" or words to that effect. The contradiction inherent in this reasoning is worse than it sounds at face value: let's assume that the life of a murder victim is sacred, but the life of a murderer is not. Thus a governing body administers 'justice' by ending the life of murderers.

Now, humans are humans, and when they administer death to other human beings, they kill them with humanly means. They don't call upon tidal waves or an earthquake or meteors to fall from the sky. So the people appointed as executioners kill. To close relatives or the loved ones of the executed murderers, or people who simply think they're innocent, an execution is nonetheless a murder. There's no difference beyond semantic complexities. To such people, 'justice' would be to deliver death to the executioners, as to them the executed murderers are victims. And punishing the executioners is a deed that needs to be done by another set of executioners, who themselves will kill. To those who disagree with the execution of the executioners, this is essentially a murder, and 'justice' to them means administering death to the new executioners who executed the previous executioners.

This kind of justification is a Möbius strip.

On the other hand, legal systems all around the world are rife with double standards. In my view, capital punishments are often one such defect. Let's say a disturbed psychopath murders the most innocent victim you could ever think of in the most repugnant way you could ever imagine―the kind of case which would have people raise their proverbial torches and pitchforks while yelling "if law enforcement isn't going to execute him, we will," the kind that might tickle the strings of even the most ardent anti-capital punishment advocates. Okay, he committed unfathomable cruelty to a perfectly innocent individual, but to put things into perspective, he victimised and murdered one individual. Now, turn around to the most extravagant part of society, and what do you see?

That depends on who you are. Are you running for office? They may be "contributors." Do you own a company that manufactures private jet planes or yachts? They may be your "best customers." Do you practise law? They may be your "cash cows." Are you a civil rights/liberties activist? They may be "the enemy." Are you a scientist who needs to publish your research on exclusive journals to gain recognition from your fellow academics? They may be "leeches." Are you a worker earning a minimum wage at the less fortunate part of society? They may be "torturers." Are you―I apologise for the analogy―suffering from serious but curable illness but unable to afford the grossly inflated prices for the medication you need? Would you consider them "murderers"?

(I'm not going to be too wordy on the concrete examples, but consider incidents such as the British Petroleum oil spill, the decades-long litigation between Chevron and Ecuador, the Great Recession, the act by giant pharmaceutical companies to delay generics from entering the market, "evergreening" strategies deployed by Big Pharma to keep patents from expiring and allow them to excessively inflate prices for years to come, and the general ridiculous pricing on medications.)

Maybe the people within the upper echelons responsible for such disasters―yes, I consider them disasters, no matter what euphemisms like "innovation" and "fairness" are used to play down the impact on society―aren't going around killing people. And it's going to be hard, if not impossible, to link actual deaths to such faults. And maybe the people affected don't die right away, not as fast as a knife stab or a gun shot would've caused. But on the long run, and on such massive scales? Now, quite reasonably, legal systems might be opposed to administering capital punishment to such deeds, especially if it's unproven―not that it's likely provable―that what's been done resulted in actual deaths. Nor am I advocating for capital punishment in this context (if anything, I may be more inclined to advocate against it, as suggested in my previous sentences).

This is why I can't decide whether I'm for or against capital punishment. I'd argue that I advocate for it under certain circumstances and against it under other circumstances, but that'd be because I think this deed deserves death and this one doesn't. And people are going to disagree. This is another problem I see with such punishments―the people who administer the legal system may be lawfully elected representatives, and people may trust them to deliver this verdict to this convict and that verdict to that convict, but when it concerns human life, everyone is ultimately an equal human being who does not―should not―have a say on who should die and why.

1) People won't know their laws (since you'd be surprised at the number of individuals who doesn't know what "Miranda Warning" is)
You might also be surprised at how some law enforcement officers have, in some recent legal cases, neglected to read the Miranda Rights of the people they have in custody. As valid as your cynicism is, there's also the consideration about how it feels to be under custody, or to simply be surrounded by a bunch of armed people who can kill or make you suffer financially and physically (and probably get away with it). Fifth or no Fifth, Miranda or no Miranda, many people also consider themselves to be just smart enough to fast-talk themselves (instead of shutting up) out of a dreadful situation, when in truth the LEOs often already know the answer to the questions they're asking. Oh, lying or giving inaccurate answers, by the way, is a felony.

So, yes, not knowing Miranda and other rights under the Fifth as a US citizen is bad. However, with the legal system designed to lump as many charges as possible on a convict (including that felony charge as the icing on top of the cake) instead of seeking the most proportionate redress, I wouldn't put all the blame on the people's general indifference to or lack of knowledge of the law. Oh, before I forget, you do know the "public safety" exception to Miranda Rights, oui? With the current legal and political climate, those two words right there reek of nothing but potential for abuse and overreach. I wouldn't be surprised if I started hearing about more legal cases where LEOs neglect to read Miranda Rights to the people they have in custody.

My opinion is that the death penalty should only be reserved for mentally competent adults who killed with the intention of killing.
This may open yet another can of worms. Humans aren't omniscient beings able to peer into the minds of others, and as such intent can be a very hard thing to prove or deny. As it stands, intent or lack thereof can influence the extent of punishment when you're already a convict, but when it ultimately decides whether you get to live or die at the hands of the law, I'm inclined to oppose the notion. It's not hard to imagine that overzealous prosecutors or powerful people seeking to pile charges on you will come up with multiple excuses to convince the court of your intent because you don't toe the line or they have political motives for doing so.

1) All states should follow the same system. Ideally, people should be treated equally in all areas.

2) I am against the death penalty. I prefer earlier deterrents such as good parenting/discipline and education.

In the long run, this is better for society. Most criminals live their lives lacking those features.

(oops, too bad discipline has been outlawed cause we don't want to hurt people's feelings).

Death penalty is easily abused by corruption, especially in poor countries.

I don't say 'is' as in it is a possibility. People are being murdered as you read this.

Death penalty is just words to let a person murder someone and not be in their position.

When people hear 'death penalty', some just think it applies to your local murderer-convict.

How about the death penalty of a drone bomb landing on you because you are a 'suspected' terrorist?

The mass media can kill people. They sensationalise anything they get hold of and twist people's minds.Journalists feed exaggerated stories to the general public, they love it when women or children are victims, it's easier to sway the public opinion and make them bring out the pitchforks and firewood.

Judges succumb to public pressure and don't want to jeopardize their own future as being soft on crime. You get jurors who have already made their decisions without looking at any evidence. As for prosecutors, those folks would ask for the death penalty for a parking ticket.

Being realistic, my only outlook is...

Most people don't give a s*** about tomorrow let alone the future of their children. Nothing will change for a long time. Society will just brush their problems under the carpet.

Last edited:
there's also the consideration about how it feels to be under custody, or to simply be surrounded by a bunch of armed people who can kill or make you suffer financially and physically (and probably get away with it). Fifth or no Fifth, Miranda or no Miranda, many people also consider themselves to be just smart enough to fast-talk themselves (instead of shutting up) out of a dreadful situation, when in truth the LEOs often already know the answer to the questions they're asking. Oh, lying or giving inaccurate answers, by the way, is a felony.

So, yes, not knowing Miranda and other rights under the Fifth as a US citizen is bad. However, with the legal system designed to lump as many charges as possible on a convict (including that felony charge as the icing on top of the cake) instead of seeking the most proportionate redress, I wouldn't put all the blame on the people's general indifference to or lack of knowledge of the law. Oh, before I forget, you do know the "public safety" exception to Miranda Rights, oui? With the current legal and political climate, those two words right there reek of nothing but potential for abuse and overreach. I wouldn't be surprised if I started hearing about more legal cases where LEOs neglect to read Miranda Rights to the people they have in custody.

Great response.

Hey, when I got my first speeding ticket, I wasn't read out these laws at all--probably because the officer was lazy, or I dunno. Could I have gotten away? Sure, but I didn't want to plead innocent because I have school on the trial.

Regarding that exception this doesn't mean that they can suddenly surround a college student who's just muttering drug terminology as he's walking to an exam (or class). I believe there IS a law that officers can't hold back or arrest individuals unless they are suspected of a crime--walking along and muttering acetaminophen is probably not a criminal act, nor is simply having a gun with no suspected criminal charges. They must all be suspected of SOME criminal act--not because they are capable of committing it.

On the other hand, I just brought up the Miranda rights because that's one of the most basic laws (aside from the Bill of Rights, which you learn in Elementary Social Sciences courses) that one should know for their daily lives. However, some people don't know it--that's just really sad... How can you trust these kinds of people to be able to give an intelligent and reasonable response to such a topic as "Is Death Penalty a good or bad thing?" or even realize "X leads to death penalty"? (aka, people still kill someone even if it makes them a felon. I really don't think a death penalty would make them stop.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

AUO wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi is there Can you reupload this?
Sirvipe235 wrote on Shine's profile.
https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01042053.html

Could you please upload this game?I have spent months searching for it, but no luck at all.
Sirvipe235 wrote on Otokonoko's profile.

Do you think you could upload this game? Youv'e uploaded one by the studio before and i can't find this online anywhere.
Sirvipe235 wrote on ramori's profile.

Do you think you could upload this game? It was by a studio whose game you have uplaoded before!
Sirvipe235 wrote on HentaiCovid's profile.

Excuse me but could you upload this game? You uploaded onebyt he same studio before.