What does your family think of you playing games, reading manga, or watching anime?

Pretty sure I mentioned they didn't care much for it. But on the other hand, it deemed pretty much a waste of time in their opinion. They are right in their own rights. I'm referring to the community I live in as a whole. In the other hand, I find some of their habits disturbing and not worth investing on. It's something that is worse than having these type of entertainments which rarely have massive consequences with it.

My family thinks that its a waste of time and just something to distract me from going on the right track. I'm pretty sure they know that anime and manga's are something that are what gives me the energy to put up with the next day, but they still tell me to quit. Which is something that I'm never going to do.

My family knows that I am watching anime and they thinks that it is childish and does't understand why I like it. They had been teasing me about it at first, but then my older brother started watching it too and.. well.... they just got used to it.
And they support me in reading manga because they think I practise english when I read it. About games, I don't whink they even know about me playing them and if they do, then they ignore it.
I believe that as long as I am succesful in things that are important to them (and to me) they will let me be. ^^

They understand but sometimes scold me because I'm slacking on my housechore or sleep too late. But otherwise they didn't make a ruckus about it~ Sometimes they asking what I'm watching and its fun to tell them a bit about it tho its a bit awkward if there's a romance scene or even ecchi things as fanservice in the anime.. OwO

For manga, they mostly scold me when I keep buying them because its a waste of money, But usually I just ignore it though~

I feel that they don't really care or mind, as long as I get my work done. Then again, sometimes I just have no time for anime with all the stress that's recently been piling on.

As for games, I never let them see my play a visual novel and never will let them see me play one. It's just too risky with the possibility of lewd scenes coming on.

Being as big of a fan of anime/visual novels/manga and the like that I am, I have managed to educate my father who I live with to a degree. He knows what anime and that stuff is, and has shown a bit of an interest in it.

One example is the VN Umineko no Naku Koro ni. He is a mystery novel fan, and when I mentioned I was reading a mystery VN he took an interest. I have also made him read some of the VN's Shuffle and Steins;Gate.

As for my mother, she merely knows I like Japanese things and that its my hobby. She sometimes comments about the music I listen to in my car, saying its nice sounding or something.

Last edited:
im too old for my family to care about this kind've thing. as long as it doesnt hurt myself or anyone else, then its fine in their eyes.

although, in saying that, when my mom first saw my manga & anime collection she was taken back abit, but the shock was more a long the lines of "wow, you've put some serious work into this" rather than "is that what you do with your time?" hah.

Took them awhile .... but they finally accept my interests... I guess i can call my self the black sheep of the family

they don't care, but if it is disrupting the daily activities will be advised by their.

Very interesting! to see some of these replies :3
I don't know but it seems to me that everyone around me now enjoys my habits along with family and friends.
Like i mean my family was cool with it. am an asian was raised watching anime and playing games :P
really laxed life tbh.
But yeh my friends use to see it as a Negative >.> but there was a few others like me and somehow we managed to convince them to give it a go and practically anime is the talk now :D

I used to watch anime and read manga all the time when I was little, my parents did'nt object. I dropped it for a few years and now I've gotten back into theses things, but my parents dont really know :P My friends and I disscuss everything related to anime so theyre in full support. In my community, most people dont care.

My dad thinks Anime is evil, and perverted (seriously he does) My mom doesn't care that I watch anime, or play games, and she even watches some anime herself, and likes some of the anime OST's I listen to. My brother's watch anime occasionally, but I'm really the one big Anime fan in my family.

Back when i was little, my family always thought i was childish and feared it would affect my studies because i still watch anime and play games... (i was a child, and they thought i was childish hahaha) I remember i got my computer banned from me when i got B for my Math. And now, I am twenty, they are still thinking me that i am childish. . lol xD However, they doesn't seem to feel bothered much about it now since i already showed them that those things doesn't affect your studies and life at all, if you know how to manage your time. ;)

When I was a little kid, my grandma used to think that Pokemon makes kids into zombies. The newspapers in Russia even printed such crap and she really believed it. And Sailormoon was the greatest evil of them all! Now, like 15 years later she's still worried but because of radiation from the electronic devices which is pretty hilarious.

My mom is my greatest ally in the family. First she helped me cope with my dad, when I refused to go for a German Studies diploma and went for a Japanese Studies one instead. He didn't even say a single thing, when after finishing that, I started going to a college in Germany (lol) for Video Game Art.

As for my friends... hoho. I always found the gamers and anime fans around me, starting from the weekly gaming sessions in elementary up to my two best friends in Russia who are as crazy as me and now the whole Game School is full nerdy Germans. Life is great.

During my childhood, my family considered it a 'phase' and presumed I would outgrow cartoons specifically anime.

My friends then, had no clue what 'anime' was because they did not know the word, but they liked it and watched it with me.

Later, during my teens, my family thought I would move to Japan since I was constantly watching anime, reading manga, and practicing Japanese. They told me, if I plan on living there, then I may continue with my 'anime lifestyle'.

Of course, I didn't move.

Luckily, my friends (new group of friends) were more understanding and we would share manga if one person didn't have a certain series, another person would lend it to him/her.

Past my teen years and early twenties, my family did not care about the whole 'living in Japan' thing, but rather... they grew to enjoy it as well. I believe they liked how the voice actors had such quality and emotion in their voices and appreciated how they made the anime more fun to watch.

My current group of friends keep making me cosplay in which I decline or respect my love for anime. Lol.

I have another group of friends who do not really care too much about anime because we are just busy with our lives.

In the end, we shouldn't be too concerned about what other people think because we are the ones in control and we are aware of what we watching and doing. We like what we like no matter the age.

At least any potential future kids would love us and think we're the coolest parents EVER ! I find it uncomfortable that other people who doesn't understand my/our interest even knowns anything about it. I'd rather they just be ignorant and scratch their heads when they see someone cosplay ^o^

I wanted to move to Japan trough different phases, one was after the tsunami, I called Red Cross to ask if they needed extra personal to be shipped over. My mom got worried then. Ofc if I had been shipped I might never had come back hahah..øøøhh "P Witch was kinda part of my plans lol, when the work as done I would have disappeared in order to stay and try my luck...it would have been one amazing story to tell if they had actually sent me.

[MENTION=18465]renano[/MENTION]; I'm confused by your sentence here: "My current group of friends keep making me cosplay in which I decline or respect my love for anime." Do they 'try' to make you cosplay but you decline of respect for your anime? or they actually make you do it ??? I would have loved to see that. Who would you be if you be if you did ?

I've never cosplayed in my life. Not sure how that would be, or if it would be right for me. But seems fun to watch others do it and try to take weird pictures. I got a problem if I did, since their are no(or hardly) any males in Gensokyou.

///

I told my sister once I was studying Japanese once last year....All I got was a stupid kind of pause followed by...Whhyyyy ?? ><

Reactions: renano
At least any potential future kids would love us and think we're the coolest parents EVER ! I find it uncomfortable that other people who doesn't understand my/our interest even knowns anything about it. I'd rather they just be ignorant and scratch their heads when they see someone cosplay ^o^

I wanted to move to Japan trough different phases, one was after the tsunami, I called Red Cross to ask if they needed extra personal to be shipped over. My mom got worried then. Ofc if I had been shipped I might never had come back hahah..øøøhh "P Witch was kinda part of my plans lol, when the work as done I would have disappeared in order to stay and try my luck...it would have been one amazing story to tell if they had actually sent me.

[MENTION=18465]renano[/MENTION]; I'm confused by your sentence here: "My current group of friends keep making me cosplay in which I decline or respect my love for anime." Do they 'try' to make you cosplay but you decline of respect for your anime? or they actually make you do it ??? I would have loved to see that. Who would you be if you be if you did ?

I've never cosplayed in my life. Not sure how that would be, or if it would be right for me. But seems fun to watch others do it and try to take weird pictures. I got a problem if I did, since their are no(or hardly) any males in Gensokyou.

///

I told my sister once I was studying Japanese once last year....All I got was a stupid kind of pause followed by...Whhyyyy ?? ><

You can say that I have 'two sets/groups of anime friends'. One group is a bit more 'adventurous' who enjoys cosplay. The second group enjoys watching anime, but isn't some 'hardcore fan' like the first group hence why they 'respect my love for anime'.

I'm not into cosplay. >_> But if there is any 'cosplay blood' in me... I guess Chiri from Zetsubou Sensei because her antics sometimes remind me of myself and she wouldn't be too troubling to cosplay.

Anime... hmm... my dad does get a bit bothersome with asking me whatever japanese stuff since he thinks i should be fluent in japanese because i watch it =w= Does the same with my sis watching korean dramas as well... xD Dont think theres any opposition but theres quite a bit of friends who watch... asians in art school.. fairly sure half of them are there for anime reasons~ :goodtea:

Cosplay... Unless its something extremely simple where i could just fade away without anyone noticing... probably wouldnt... xD Though i do know some friends who cosplay and the such...~

Your father is just being... a father. xD He's most likely concerned.

Glad there's not much opposition. ^^

Oh... :o

That's very cool they are there for anime reasons. Sounds quite nice actually~

A cosplay that makes you fade. Hmm... /me thinks Sam should be him

Lol nah i think my father is just messing around in ways most others dont think is funny =w= Parents.... xD

Hmm well its more competition in the animation industry xD But its so much harder than art because i dont know enough to just go nuts about symbolism (that i made up five minutes before) xD

Someone who actually disappears @_@ Well i guess itll work... I can just go poof an no one would notice meh xD

Rena Super Chiri :? xD If you where to do that I would not go as a mech at least. I'd probably go with something I could be comfortable wearing casually at normal times as well. Just as long as the royal "regelia" had sufficient quality, I wouldn't like that cheap cosplay stuff they see online, just looking at pictures I can tell some of it is pretty lame quality, I'd want real wearable clothes. Then I wouldn't even mind wearing it normally with any cosplay at all. Like a nice man's kimono. Or one of those Chinese silk dresses in vague iridescence green and violet/purple/ with a loong smooth hair all the way down to the small of the back. Since I love colors I like my own last suggestion. Found this iridescence example as well:
I am Iridescence
600px-Haliotis_iris_LC0282.jpg

Sam I hope he isn't doing it to try and illustrate a point to you of how useless/wast of time he thinks it is? Typically parents think too much on the future. Parents....ah yes. Luckily I don't have to deal with that any more...too much. I thought this was a given for sams cosplay :J > Only thing missing is a broom

Hmm youre going to wear an abalone shell? xD

My father doesnt really care what i watch =w= I dont bother him he doesnt bother me... except when were both trying to watch something and the internet gets to the levels where it takes an hour to load a page :/ As long as i get my work done and everything he really doesnt say much =w=
Crossplay @_@ /me hides under a pile of puppies~

haha NO I wasn't planning to do that xD Just the colors....but now since you mention it, why the H&^% not! if they play this, then I would :P Better yet, if [MENTION=18465]renano[/MENTION]; sings it then definitely.

Happy crossplay Samy! P^^b I'll be sure to take MANY many pictures. /me plays hidden special frequency dog sound that makes all puppies wet themselves muahahah

\Last time sammy tries to seek refuge under a pile of puppies I imagine./

on second thoughts, it seems that my friends are the only ones who give me grief about my hobbies (and thats most likely because they've only learnt about it rather recently [closet otaku])

but to hell with them! lol

My father doesn't know, I didn't tell him. Not because I think he wouldn't agree but because he would get soooo annoying. My mom knows but doesn't care because she thinks I watch anime to get better at Japanese (yes, I study Japanese in a school of foreign languages).
:forsaken:
My younger brother can't say anything bad to me because I'm stronger than him, and since I go to an engineering high school my class is full of nerds so I have my nerd herd of anime watchers.
I don't have a problem with cosplay as long as it's not flashy and low quality. There is actually a convention for japanese culture next sunday (there's gonna be cosplay, anime screening, street fighter tournament and manga trading) that I'm going at, so you know, wish me luck. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

nobis_c wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi Ryzen, do you think you can update this one?
理想のおとうさん to v1.1.2
Zitrone wrote on Shine's profile.
Good Day, if you have some Time left i would be appreciate if you could update

✨Shine✨[231207][猫3] 理想のおとうさん ~愛娘との同棲生活~ (Ver1.1.1.1) [RJ01104619]

it has a new Version 1.12
Thanks for your hard work

hc1992 wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
RJ364759 RJ319302 links are dead, please could you reupload these?
[Request] [RJ01080641] 【コミカライズ決定】お隣の愛が重すぎ夜神さんは監禁性活で孕ませたい【執着攻め×中出し】

RJ01080641_img_main.webp

願いします

https://www.dlsite.com/girls/work/=/product_id/RJ01080641.html
https://www.dlsite.com/girls/work/=/product_id/RJ01080641.html
ballball1110 wrote on Shine's profile.
Can you reupload these link in katfile?
[200125][MooNSHINeR] 私語夜話~ちじょ搾精04~「お外でしましょ? 露出大好きな後輩彼女」[RJ275667]
[190322][MooNSHINeR] 自分と兄の股間に興味津々ないもうと [RJ248442]
[190725] [MooNSHINeR] ずっと年下だけど包容力のあるいもうと[RJ258473]
Thanks!