Would you go to mars if you could never go back?

Honestly I didn't go back to read the other posts up to now. So I can't say I'll be within the discussion. I'm going to bring forward some issues and potential solutions that was mentioned a long time ago by scientists.

• Terra-forming a planet is not a viable solution in a short term. It will cost too much in a long run and requires all nation to contribute without bias. Terra-forming in a dome and making a self sustainable environment inside a dome is possible.
  • Illnesses relevant to the plant that has been colonized will always be a problem. Finding a cure within a short time frame will always a problem and including a ingredients to make the vaccine in time.
  • Supplies can be brought forward for the first 30 years but that's a expensive operation. All those live and colonize on another planet must always ration in case of emergencies.
  • Artificial gravity testing and harsh weather testing has been done on domes but there's not enough miniture tests that went through on Mars to make it viable. Due to the environmental consideration of the placing of the dome, it may get buried under red sand dunes like how earth has buried the Star Wars set that was built at the desert.
  • Which leads to the next point that a lot of Mars natural consideration needs to be artificially adjusted for humans to be able to go back and forth in the near future.
  • We also need to artificially create oxygen at Mars with some kind of converter for the artificial dome. Otherwise it will not work out due to lack of self sufficiency.
  • Plants also needs to be grown in masses to offset the amount of carbon dioxide of the colony that lives there. Otherwise it will fail.
  • Plants needs to be grown en-masses to feed the colony while receiving supply to push forward a future colony. Otherwise it will fail.

The list goes on. This was discussed by scientists several times before a common man thought it will be great to send experimental to die without the necessary preparations.

No, what I was saying is that the scientific reason to go to Mars would not include turning it into a livable planet. We went to the moon, and had no intention of turning the moon into Earth2. It is similar with Mars. There will be TONS accomplished if this mission is successful.

I repeat: "The main scientific reason to colonize Mars. "Colonizing" in Mars' case refers to the building of a permanent establishment. I'm not talking about what you think the reason is; I'm basically saying what the definition of "to colonize" is when applied to Mars' scenario. In Mars One's situation, their main reason to visit Mars is for the sake of discovering something unknown, but that doesn't change the other scientific goals that still exist outside of this project.

I think you are mistaking "making a colony" with "colonizing". We are not colonizing Mars. We are building a small colony ON Mars.

I could argue about semantics, but I'll just say that there is almost no point in attempting to build a small colony on Mars. They're building a small colony on Mars because they have to--otherwise they'd die without accomplishing much. The main reasons (for them) to go to Mars is for adventure, to be the first to discover and step foot on something unknown, to satisfy curiosities about Mars/space, and lastly to try and make technological developments on Earth.

I also find your lack of faith that we will have any technological advances in the next decade slightly disturbing XD (and what kind of proof do you hope for them to produce? We can't exactly build Mars for a test run).

Hmm...I don't know...Maybe for a robot to actually test their theory? They would both take billions of dollars; the difference is that a robot's exploration could lead to technological breakthroughs, whereas their sending people to Mars would result in death and a waste of billions of dollars.

Rovers (if engineered well/built properly) can easily function on Mars. On the other hand, humans cannot (unless they are constantly sent supplies from Earth, which isn't feasible at all). Sending rovers to Mars would be a billion times smarter than sending humans (at least in this time frame). So why do humans decide to do it? Mostly for the purpose of self-gratification. And I'm not saying that it's a bad thing to explore Mars; I'm just saying that there would be more scientific benefits in putting extensive research in a theory than to use an undetermined theory to sway people for the purpose of saying "I was the first to do it".

I repeat: "The main scientific reason to colonize Mars. "Colonizing" in Mars' case refers to the building of a permanent establishment. I'm not talking about what you think the reason is; I'm basically saying what the definition of "to colonize" is when applied to Mars' scenario. In Mars One's situation, their main reason to visit Mars is for the sake of discovering something unknown, but that doesn't change the other scientific goals that still exist outside of this project.

I could argue about semantics, but I'll just say that there is almost no point in attempting to build a small colony on Mars. They're building a small colony on Mars because they have to--otherwise they'd die without accomplishing much. The main reasons (for them) to go to Mars is for adventure, to be the first to discover and step foot on something unknown, to satisfy curiosities about Mars/space, and lastly to try and make technological developments on Earth.

Hmm...I don't know...Maybe for a robot to actually test their theory? They would both take billions of dollars; the difference is that a robot's exploration could lead to technological breakthroughs, whereas their sending people to Mars would result in death and a waste of billions of dollars.

Rovers (if engineered well/built properly) can easily function on Mars. On the other hand, humans cannot (unless they are constantly sent supplies from Earth, which isn't feasible at all). Sending rovers to Mars would be a billion times smarter than sending humans (at least in this time frame). So why do humans decide to do it? Mostly for the purpose of self-gratification. And I'm not saying that it's a bad thing to explore Mars; I'm just saying that there would be more scientific benefits in putting extensive research in a theory than to use an undetermined theory to sway people for the purpose of saying "I was the first to do it".

Ah I see. I got the wrong impression because terraforming kept being mentioned, sorry about that. If we want to make it really short: they are going to Mars for fun, and to send us back some nice intel. Of course in actuality 90% of the time will probably be very not-fun. Perhaps the remaining 10% will be so very much fun that it will make up for it though.

While sending more rovers is a great idea, and will most certainly happen once we have enough new doodads to put on them, it won't get nearly as many people as excited as saying we are sending persons. You'd lose the sensationalism.

hahaha NO way. I'll leave that for the ones wanting to prepare a place for me to drop by later then if so.

Lol well now that they said they would send people, they cant really completely cancel unless theres a reason to..~ And repeating second time might not be quite the same...~

Well I jest stomped upon this subject, actually there is a company called MarsOne (with some others) that is planning on colonizing mars by 2023 but you can never go back to earth once you agreed.
than my question will be, would you agree to give up on your life on earth and everything that goes with it to explore mars and making it a second earth?

P.S - of course there is no internet on mars among many other things :XD:

I read somewhere that if you managed to put all the greenhouse gasses that currently cause global warming onto the red planet, it would slowly have the opposite effect that it has on earth. It would cause Mars to start growing vegetation and become much more earth-like in atmosphere. So basically, if you managed to get greenhouse gasses onto mars, you could turn it into a giant Earth. That would be awesome.

I don't think i'd go there and never come back though, if they manage to find a way to shuttle people back and forth after making an established colony there and I could go there cheaply, i'd definitely consider visiting. especially if they managed to turn it into a giant earth-like planet. unless the earth is about to explode and I need somewhere else to go, then i'll probably hop on board hah.

quite frankly I don't think that will happen in my lifetime though, so I assume that i'll probably spend the rest of my natural life here on this little ol' rock we call earth.

I read somewhere that if you managed to put all the greenhouse gasses that currently cause global warming onto the red planet, it would slowly have the opposite effect that it has on earth. It would cause Mars to start growing vegetation and become much more earth-like in atmosphere. So basically, if you managed to get greenhouse gasses onto mars, you could turn it into a giant Earth. That would be awesome.

I don't think i'd go there and never come back though, if they manage to find a way to shuttle people back and forth after making an established colony there and I could go there cheaply, i'd definitely consider visiting. especially if they managed to turn it into a giant earth-like planet. unless the earth is about to explode and I need somewhere else to go, then i'll probably hop on board hah.

quite frankly I don't think that will happen in my lifetime though, so I assume that i'll probably spend the rest of my natural life here on this little ol' rock we call earth.
Anything can happen at anytime dude so be prepare if things like these does happens:lmao:. i would agree and help make a colony of people on mars and make it second earth, but the no of days in 1 year in mars is 687 days which more than that of earth! but still i will agree if it is for humanity :goodtea:

NO ! why ? to do what ? without a chance to get back,ask me again in let´s say 150 years !

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

thebreaker2 wrote on Shine's profile.
RJ153517 ver 1.14

Please could you reupload these?
Thank you very much.
DarkSniper wrote on Shine's profile.
AUO wrote on Shine's profile.
Can you reupload this?
アオハループ
nobis_c wrote on Shine's profile.
Also, could you update this one please? The bugs are horrendous and they put many additional features. Thanks.
アノ子は僕の性奴隷
Morisoba1988 wrote on Shine's profile.

[240117][VRゲーム屋さん] 【VR】学びな日常~あなたの部屋が女の子たちのたまり場に!?~ [RJ01133621]

Do you have the latest versions of these?