Would you go to mars if you could never go back?

Chances are in our life time they wouldn't be XD

So what would be the one thing you would bring from earth with.

I Guess brining my laptop would be useless with no internet. Honestly, I can't think of the one thing I would bring with me since nothing I would want to bring will work without electricity.

Yeah You'll always be remembered in history as the first person on Mars, so I guess that's counts for something.

Yeah that's true also. What's the one thing you would bring?

I think this is perhaps where I see what you might be misunderstanding in this endeavor, though.
I said that the main "scientific" reason-- not a certain space tourist's idiotic idea of going to Mars, wasting billions of dollars, sending people to die, and at the end: accomplishing nothing.
I think it is safe to assume that at least a decent quantity of people working on this project have cutting edge information and understanding on the relevant topics.
If they did, they'd know that "colonizing" Mars in a couple of years with no new technological advances and no proof that it's possible is delusional.

The problem isn't that there is no water-- the problem is that Mars can't sustain liquid water. There is A LOT of "water" on Mars-- just not in the right form. There's some "ice" at Mar's polar caps, and occasionally there are high enough temperatures to have liquid water, but the real obstacle to overcome is the atmospheric pressure (ranging from 6 to 10 millibars).

Liquid water wouldn't be able to stay at its current state. Any regular ice on the surface would instantly sublimate. The only way for there to be water is to terraform Mars and raise atmospheric pressure, or in Mars One's case: for a robot to extract water from the soil and evaporate it, then condense it later.

I said that the main "scientific" reason-- not a certain space tourist's idiotic idea of going to Mars, wasting billions of dollars, sending people to die, and at the end: accomplishing nothing.

If they did, they'd know that "colonizing" Mars in a couple of years with no new technological advances and no proof that it's possible is delusional.

The problem isn't that there is no water-- the problem is that Mars can't sustain liquid water. There is A LOT of "water" on Mars-- just not in the right form. There's some "ice" at Mar's polar caps, and occasionally there are high enough temperatures to have liquid water, but the real obstacle to overcome is the atmospheric pressure (ranging from 6 to 10 millibars).

Liquid water wouldn't be able to stay at its current state. Any regular ice on the surface would instantly sublimate. The only way for there to be water is to terraform Mars and raise atmospheric pressure, or in Mars One's case: for a robot to extract water from the soil and evaporate it, then condense it later.

your forgetting one key point, mars can have an artificially sustained water.

the atmosphere is going to need to change in order to for it become anything like earth

however as things are, its not going to happen anytime soon if things are progressing as slowly as they are.

No, what I was saying is that the scientific reason to go to Mars would not include turning it into a livable planet. We went to the moon, and had no intention of turning the moon into Earth2. It is similar with Mars. There will be TONS accomplished if this mission is successful.

I'm really not sure what your secondary argument here is supposed to be. It isn't like people will be living outside on Mars. They will be living in Biodomes (which there has been some success on Earth with). We control atmospheric pressure in airplane cabins.

I think you are mistaking "making a colony" with "colonizing". We are not colonizing Mars. We are building a small colony ON Mars.

I also find your lack of faith that we will have any technological advances in the next decade slightly disturbing XD (and what kind of proof do you hope for them to produce? We can't exactly build Mars for a test run).

So.... didn't bother to read the previous pages of posts here...

But has the human race figured out how to produce air without plants???

So.... didn't bother to read the previous pages of posts here...

But has the human race figured out how to produce air without plants???

An interesting thought. If by any chance you stumble upon some articles about how they plan to do this, let me know. :)

I would guess they are planning to still rely on plants.

Sure, if I remember to though. /me 's mind is like a lumber room.

I am curious though to see how plants will adapt and flourish in space. I do not remember if any experiments have been done with plants in space to test their adaptability.

If the space colonists lived without plants....... hrm...200K people.... Does anyone have the space colonist living area?

Calculating the breathable oxygen per person per square mile of space that the mars people will be using.

The 200K are how many people are volunteering to go live on a dried rock.

200k volunteers, but I would be surprised if they sent more than a dozen, and stunned if more than 50.

We could give them quite a bit of oxygen, but of course that adds weight. The earth has lots to spare after all :P

I wonder if I we can build an actually ozone shield XD

with a code.

man spaceballs really spoiled me XD

will one word

spaceballs XD

OMFG!!! Yes! I never though of that! That is absolutely how oxygen will be provided to the martians. :D

[MENTION=37707]FinalPyre[/MENTION] Yes we could give them a lot of oxygen. Shipped straight from earth to mars. But doing very hasty mathematics here... Roughly over 1/2 a mile of grass is needed for 4 people for 1 day of oxygen. Or alternatively 1 tree for 2 people for 1 day.

If 200K people are going to live on mars. Then there needs to be just over 50K miles of grass on mars, somewhere to provide enough oxygen for everyone.... or somebody can plant a little over 100K trees for everyone.

Either way, so much plant life has to be planted in mars and the ecosystem to be created and maintained to provide oxygen for the martians...

It's the classic textbook biosphere experiment. Everything must be in that biosphere to produce and maintain life or everybody dies.

Given that... if there is even a slight problem with the plants producing oxygen, then everyone dies. I give only a few days before everyone dies from suffocation. Anyone can correct or add more math to my prediction and my calculation.

well that's really impractical in this time frame...

maybe when they can plant plants fast or the atmosphere in mars becomes more suitable :p

[MENTION=4809]Will98[/MENTION]; Do you perchance know how they regulate air on the space station? That would probably provide at least some insight. Unless they just ship it up there, and throw out old CO2/use it for propellant.

And as I said before. It isn't like they are going to ship 200k people up there. I would guess about a dozen or so (and not thousand, as in just a dozen or so). Throwing in a dozen or so trees is just a good idea both moral wise and health wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Glaymez wrote on Shine's profile.
Will you upload this game by any chance? That would be amazing

https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01198627.html - 犯られたままじゃおわれないっ!!
Mistersmiles wrote on ramori's profile.
Hi Ramori,

Could you please upload this? https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01197309.html

The draught seems to be over, and interesting games are coming out one after another.

Thanks a ton!
In the trenches desperate to play Shiro to Kuro no Alice
awsater wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
Could you update RJ01114470 please? It's in 12 parts, but parts 7 and 9 are missing. There are no problems with the rest.
Irish99 wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
Hello can you please reupload いたずらっ娘 ~うちの娘にかぎって to katfile or mexashare if you have the time.