[Discussions] SOTM #30 - April 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough. Smaller screens aren't always bad either, I guess―personally I find it easier to get focused on smaller screens (as they obviously don't have as much area to put your attention to as bigger screens). For example, while I like reading e-books on a mobile device, I try to avoid reading too much on bigger screens, even for things like blog posts. And yeah, I agree about your view on drawing. It's a medium to express yourself and pour your imagination, something you should feel free and at leisure rather than pressured to do. Money does ruin things sometimes. :P

Reactions: fguelffstan
So it seems! Each additional entrant there is makes me happy, so keep 'em coming, girls 'n' guys. Starting from the latest entry, it'd be nice if we could get more entries from members that aren't the customary regulars.
It seems not only so, it's so. Well, SOTM lives the renaissance age fully though; the next SOTM will then the industrial age be, where the SOTM fast filled will...xD

Well, really. I hope sometime for the upcoming SOTMs that not just 5-10 candidates join, but really sometime about 20-30 candidates their fun in this contest find will, and their experiences each other exchange be can...:goodtea:

I sure hope so. Having ten candidates as a start would sure be nice. Though, personally, I have no qualms with having a smaller community base for SOTM. Smaller numbers aren't always worse as they may result in a tight-knit community.

In the meantime, if anyone still has any questions or would like some suggestions related not just to SOTM in particular but graphics-y stuff in general, if it's something within my knowledge, I'll be happy to help.

In the meantime, if anyone still has any questions or would like some suggestions related not just to SOTM in particular but graphics-y stuff in general, if it's something within my knowledge, I'll be happy to help.

Might as well ask the question that I have been wondering about, you know that resizing an image loses some of the information? I mean that if you shrink an image very small with free transform and apply it, then after reverting it back then you will get a blurry image of the original. At the moment I always duplicate the original to prevent this, just in case I change my mind about the size, but do you know if there is a better way?

Might as well ask the question that I have been wondering about, you know that resizing an image loses some of the information? I mean that if you shrink an image very small with free transform and apply it, then after reverting it back then you will get a blurry image of the original. At the moment I always duplicate the original to prevent this, just in case I change my mind about the size, but do you know if there is a better way?
Try converting the layer into a Smart Object before resizing it. Before I proceed to explain, I must note that duplicating layers is always a good, easy way of preservation, because there IS a limit to how many times you can undo your actions. Whether you'll make use of the Smart Object method or not, you should always have backup layers.

To convert a layer into a Smart Object, simply right-click on it and choose "Convert to Smart Object".
public.php

The primary difference between a Smart Object layer and a normal one lies in the perception of size. If you resize objects in a normal layer, it treats the newly resized objects as 100% once you're done resizing, regardless of whether you previously enlarged it by 1000% or shrank it into 10%. With a Smart Object layer, if you resize an object (whether enlarging or shrinking), it remembers the percentage. For example, if you resize such a layer into 25% x 25% of the original, it will still be in 25% x 25% the next time you attempt to resize it again, not 100% x 100%.
public.php

Here's how it'd look like if you resized a normal layer into 25% x 25% and then back to 100% x 100%, because the second resize actually bloats the image into 400% x 400% of the then-25% x 25% image.
public.php

With a Smart Object layer, resizing it back to 100% x 100% actually does resize it back to 100% x 100%. See that little thing I highlighted? It denotes that a layer is a Smart Object.
public.php

Smart Objects have limitations: you can't edit the layers directly by drawing on them or deleting parts of them. You can convert a Smart Object layer back into a normal one by right-clicking on it and choosing "Rasterise Layer".

[MENTION=79749]happihentai[/MENTION]; thanks for participating. I removed the attached image from your post as embedding an external image link was enough (it's also easier to see than an attachment that you need to click through first to see in full size). I guess, true to your username, you had to put an enhanced emphasis on the panties even more than the thematic flames, eh? ;)

Thanks for fixing things up! I knew I posted that wrong, I JUST KNEW!!! :puniko_despair:

haha. And who says pantsu isn't flaming hot anyhow? :toofhot: hehehe.

/me tries someone still in this project to grab. - The first "victim" is... [MENTION=9628]Arylin[/MENTION];...:goodtea:

Might be interested, though I usually prefer doing my own themes and tend to procrastinate too much (I'm already overdue for this month's sig change). :loseoil:

Might be interested, though I usually prefer doing my own themes and tend to procrastinate too much (I'm already overdue for this month's sig change). :loseoil:

Ah, well, the tsuns doesn't let you your own or other projects to make, except of herself...xD

But okay, the gate of SOTM is always for you open, if you but/nevertheless sometime your urge find...:goodtea:

/me drags [MENTION=12156]Hideki[/MENTION]; in the X poject.

Hmm, we can do an open theme next if you guys prefer it that way. Speaking from personal experience, I've seen people work on this kind of stuff (not the same thing, but somewhat similar) slower when they're given freedom and no guidance on what they should do, because that tends to make them end up either making and scrapping multiple attempts or feeling undecided on what they should do. That's why I decided on a theme. But we can have an open theme, no problem.

And by "open", I mean we can either have a free theme or be open in deciding one. Feel free to suggest any theme you'd like and let's see which idea gains the most traction.

Oh, I certainly agree with the 'slower because I can't decide' part. I've got a few themes lined up for my personal sig this month just like I did back in December, and I'm utterly undecided. There's only so much space to cram stuff! :D

I don't mind it either way as a spectator; it's fun to see what you've picked as a theme for the SOTM contestants to work on, and just as fun seeing what they pick.

I really don't mind both ways. Letting someone have their own way for a SOTM usually gives them more freedom and/or resources to work with. What I personally like about theme's is that it shows how you can interpret a certain theme in various ways and it shows in the entries =)

Well, we can at least a week before an new SOTM/contest the theme so decide, in the the themes in an pot give would, and then these themes by an poll run let would (And after a week will the theme officially declared)... But this is just my suggestion... Btw, I had personal no problem with the current SOTM, I had my fun...:goodtea:

Edit: We got an unexpected new candidate, yey...:runhappy:

Well, as it's you guys who participate and not myself, I'm perfectly fine with having a free theme or one you guys decide. If you'd like me to decide instead, I'd be happy to oblige, too. Both unown and Arylin made good points about having a free theme, so if that's what you guys decide by the end of the month (that is, if nobody dissents or presents a better idea), let's go with that.

And yes, welcome, Yarukinasu :) That's a cute Groudon right there...

Oh, another entry. Probably the most participants in an SOTM I've seen so far :runhappy:
The more, the merrier~

*Pinky sneaks in...*

[MENTION=2]Ignis[/MENTION]; made a really awesome twist for SOTM#30. Hahaha! ^_^ Arigatoo-gosaimasu, Iggy-sama~

Thank you so much for everyone's understanding as I have been super duper busy irl. As always. But I think waaaaay more busiiiierr lately. >____< Thank you also for the awesome birthday greetings! You guys are the best. :)

*Pinky goes back to lurk mode~*

AAAAAAAAAAH...!!! Whom seeing my rotten eyes?!:surprised: Yey, it's Pinky, welcome back from exile, we did you heavily missed...!!!:runhappy:

Edit: :crushed: And I knew, that I what importantly forgot have.... Happy b'Bday Pinky still, have an nice future...:sowwy:

Reactions: espiekerella
Hey Pinky, good to have you back. Thanks for your kind words, and hope to see you soon around these parts, too :)

Hmm, revamping the Hall of Fame thread is more work than I expected. Think I'm gonna take my sweet time doing it...

In the meantime, I made a simple mash-up of a chibi SOTM logo that I intend to use in the Hall of Fame thread.
public.php

If the edges look faded out and not solid, it's because the image is intended to be used on the greyish checkered background that I use for everything SOTM:
public.php

I dunno, maybe one of you can make use of it to promote the SOTM or something. I just felt like taking a break and sharing this here. Feel free to use it in your signature and such if you'd like. Oh yeah, thanks to Pekie for the chibi images as always. Check out his stuff.

Always wanted to do a sig in that style, but finding the art assets to match (both in style and pose) often made me switch to easier pastures.

:ordercourt:

Hmm, revamping the Hall of Fame thread is more work than I expected. Think I'm gonna take my sweet time doing it...

In the meantime, I made a simple mash-up of a chibi SOTM logo that I intend to use in the Hall of Fame thread.
public.php

If the edges look faded out and not solid, it's because the image is intended to be used on the greyish checkered background that I use for everything SOTM:
public.php

I dunno, maybe one of you can make use of it to promote the SOTM or something. I just felt like taking a break and sharing this here. Feel free to use it in your signature and such if you'd like. Oh yeah, thanks to Pekie for the chibi images as always. Check out his stuff.

Oh, what for a kawaii banners what you made have, well done... I take the 2nd: It's better...#^_^#

Edge note: The edges doesn't look like what wrong were, it's sharp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

trenx wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi, any chance of getting this game?

妻の面影残る娘に、疼く欲情 ~俺のモノで教えてやる!~ アパタイト https://www.dlsite.com/pro/work/=/product_id/VJ01002091.html

Thanks for your time
pin13 wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hello, do you think you can upload this please?

https://www.dlsite.com/girls/work/=/product_id/RJ01110786.html
Ghiaccio wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
Hello.
Is it possible to reupload the RJ336575?
Rann wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi, please upload love n life lucky teacher V 2.0.0 :(

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2445340/Love_n_Life_Lucky_Teacher/
Christ is Risen, Truly Risen & Love Everlasting, all praise to Thee' Heavenly Father, Son and Holy Ghost!