Nyaa situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Problems with nyaa.se

https://twitter.com/OtakuDao/status/507299130340044801

This sucks. According to the link, Looks like Nyaa might not bring the site back up.
that would suck royally ... they were a great site for non-anime music ... I was building a nice collection of J-Pop and some other Japanese music

Eh don't wanna sound cold or anything but piracy is like dealing with a hydra. Kill one and you get 10 heads. Hell if you try to hunt the beast too aggressively it might end up growing more bodies rather than just heads just like in the case of piratebay. I suppose it's time nyaa learns this lesson as well.

exactly ... why do you think I mentioned PirateBay when I posted this reply to Sakimichi

Plus, if it really is the JP government, they should have questioned the Hosting company ...

the only problem with that idea is that the Japanese government can not question hosting companies in other countries ... like China, the Ukraine, Sweden, and others

DDOS attacks are really the only way they have to go after them

why do you think no goverment has been able to shut down PirateBay

diversifying is the best way to fight DDOS attacks

if you give the enemy too many targets to shoot at ... they have to weaken their attack against each target .......... until their attack strength is just too weak to do anything effective

I have seen signs of that on one site ... one individual is paralleling the torrent info to up to 9 other sites

if you scatter your torrent listing sites all over the world ... easy to do since it is called "The World Wide Web" ... it makes it impossible for anyone to shut you down ... the only way for any government to shut down Pirate Bay ... would be to permanently shut down the entire internet ... and lets be real ... that is not possible

Last edited:

Indeed. Either way right now the anime scenario is dominated by a group of rippers/admins that are huddled together e.g AT, HS, Nyaa etc which in a way is a vulnerability. It was always a bit strange that nyaa is the only sole torrent host that commands the attention of almost all subbing group out there and I feared an attack of a considerable scale would definitely cause chaos if it ever happened, and sure as hell it has. Whoever these attackers are, they have successfully crippled the anime flow with one calculated blow because lets face it, major downloaders out there are accessing nyaa for torrents rather than the websites of subbers/rippers themselves and only a select few feel comfortable accessing XDCC.

I fear for bakabt as well. Sure they don't entertain licensed stuff but that website is one of a kind and most of these attackers don't attack on morale grounds. Fo them it's just fun. Seriously I hope my fears remain unfounded.

Eh don't wanna sound cold or anything but piracy is like dealing with a hydra. Kill one and you get 10 heads. Hell if you try to hunt the beast too aggressively it might end up growing more bodies rather than just heads just like in the case of piratebay. I suppose it's time nyaa learns this lesson as well.
HAIL HYDRA!!
frfAJ1g.gif

Indeed. Either way right now the anime scenario is dominated by a group of rippers/admins that are huddled together e.g AT, HS, Nyaa etc which in a way is a vulnerability. It was always a bit strange that nyaa is the only sole torrent host that commands the attention of almost all subbing group out there and I feared an attack of a considerable scale would definitely cause chaos if it ever happened, and sure as hell it has. Whoever these attackers are, they have successfully crippled the anime flow with one calculated blow because lets face it, major downloaders out there are accessing nyaa for torrents rather than the websites of subbers/rippers themselves and only a select few feel comfortable accessing XDCC.

I fear for bakabt as well. Sure they don't entertain licensed stuff but that website is one of a kind and most of these attackers don't attack on morale grounds. Fo them it's just fun. Seriously I hope my fears remain unfounded.

I know what you mean ... part of the reason I think that happens is because of "ease of use" ... lets be honest, we humans do tend to like things that work easily for us ... and Nyaa was a very easy site to get attached to because it worked well and had a wonderfully large listing of torrents of various subjects
... of course PirateBay is a HUGE list of torrents also ... they have torrents for just about anything you might want ... except for most anime and manga ... besides movies, I have used them to rebuild a LOT of my old music collection, stuff from the 60's and 70's and a lot of the more obscure heavy metal

I have to admit that I was always kind of spoiled by some sites ... I never bothered to mess with IRC or XDCC (it does have a learning curve attached to it before you can even get it to work properly for you) ... the time I tried it, I could not get anything useful out of it

that is part of the reason that MangaTraders was such a juicy target to be hacked ... they were a huge, easy to use site ... (I was a periodic uploader to them)
... but by using a couple of different sites, and developing a list of the sites for the various scanlation groups, I have not really had any trouble keeping up with the various manga that I read

I should probably also start keeping a list of anime subber groups ... for just the reason you mentioned ... in case this attack continues for an extended length of time

AS don't have XDCC for anime?
Just pay a visit to ASF's drones just now, they only got music. Unless I'm really dumb enough not to know which way to look for it, they're(anime) not there.

two of the main subbers are still easily available from other sources, PM me of you want the info i wont put it here as you never know who is reading what and no need to telegraph info while whoever it is is dong their evil stuff. I dont think it will keep Nyaa off the air forever, they just have to wait a bit and as i said nonoe can keep up a DOS forever. just not feasible. Good points made here and I agree with Loner it is better to have multiple outlets as servers are cheap and bandwidth is begging and many countries do not support the facist controllers who have blind eyes to the reality of the situation.

I just checked. Nyaa.se is back up!

Yup, it's back! As well as HorribleSubs and Tokyotosho. I expect the other Fansub sites to be back up and running too

Once again the forces of evil were defeated by the defenders of Justice.

Good stuff. Let's hope these folks learn there lessons and take steps to shield themselves from further attacks in the future. HAIL PIRACY!

yes ... Nyaa is back up ! ! ! ! !

BUT BE CAREFUL ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ... Be careful of the torrent files you download ! ! ! ! ! ... I went to download a torrent file from one of the scanlation groups I know, for a manga I have been collecting ... and after clicking on the link, the file name that my browser showed was NOTHING like what I has expected the filename to look like ... it looked like a computer generated file name that might have been stuck in the Nyaa database as a virus or some other type of malware ... so BEWARE OF WHAT YOU ARE DOWNLOADING ... THERE MAY BE VIRUSES OR OTHER NASTIES THAT GOT PUT INTO Nyaa's FILE LIST

BUT BE CAREFUL ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ... Be careful of the torrent files you download ! ! ! ! ! ... I went to download a torrent file from one of the scanlation groups I know, for a manga I have been collecting ... and after clicking on the link, the file name that my browser showed was NOTHING like what I has expected the filename to look like ... it looked like a computer generated file name that might have been stuck in the Nyaa database as a virus or some other type of malware ... so BEWARE OF WHAT YOU ARE DOWNLOADING ... THERE MAY BE VIRUSES OR OTHER NASTIES THAT GOT PUT INTO Nyaa's FILE LIST
Aye, agree on ya, lad. There could be 'IED' left by the saboteurs.

With torrents there's always the risk of fake (and possibly malicious) ones masquerading as legitimate torrents...

With torrents there's always the risk of fake (and possibly malicious) ones masquerading as legitimate torrents...

that is very true

but since this DDOS attack I think the chance of malicious files is a bit higher

that is very true

but since this DDOS attack I think the chance of malicious files is a bit higher

Of course; so the best advice is to always be wary no matter the source. It would probably be better to use links provided in the official websites rather than just any one on nyaa

well ... it looks like worrying about bad or malicious files from Nyaa might be a moot point

it looks like Nyaa is back down again ... yesterday it was very buggy, like it was still being attacked, sometimes it took multiple tries just to get a page to load all the way, and mulitple tries to get a file

today I am just getting the "can not display the webpage" after it tries for a while to get a response from the site

horriblesubs.info does not seem to be responding either

they might have re-started the DDOS attack

Last edited:

well ... it looks like worrying about bad or malicious files from Nyaa might be a moot point

it looks like Nyaa is back down again ... yesterday it was very buggy, like it was still being attacked, sometimes it took multiple tries just to get a page to load all the way, and mulitple tries to get a file

today I am just getting the "can not display the webpage" after it tries for a while to get a response from the site

Yes... on the IRC channel they said "Site down until further notice. We'll be back. I promise."

I don't know what to make of that but I really hope nyaa isn't gone for good :nekopara_scared:

Yes... on the IRC channel they said "Site down until further notice. We'll be back. I promise."

I don't know what to make of that but I really hope nyaa isn't gone for good :nekopara_scared:

the last attack only lasted for a few days ... I imagine this attack will be about the same

the alternate sites are still up and functioning properly ... I already got the ep I was looking for

also ... some of the Batoto files seem to be acting squirrely ... so they might be getting interferred with also

So apparently this time it's another DDoS but I hope they have plans to get nyaa back up and defend from future attacks

Yes they went down early this morning,..prob the same creeps ...i trust they will return when it is safe. You can get the releases from Horrible and Deadfish the two best releasers other places. Just miss the banter and the fun commnts of the nyaa community.

Yes they went down early this morning,..prob the same creeps ...i trust they will return when it is safe. You can get the releases from Horrible and Deadfish the two best releasers other places. Just miss the banter and the fun commnts of the nyaa community.

yes ! :D ... that is part of what made Nyaa so much more fun than just a torrent site :)

and a bit good news ... the problems with the squirrely files in Batoto seems to have been taken care of ... I tried back a couple of hours later and the files I had been trying to look at were back to normal :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

remanen wrote on viniamin's profile.
hi, do you think it would be possible to reupload this game?
[121010][Blue Cellar]監禁少女遠隔監視システム 【Kankin View】[RJ103666]
remanen wrote on Esan's profile.
hello, do you think its possible to reupload this game?
remanen wrote on Shine's profile.
hi, do you think you can reupload this game?
TasogareHentai wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
Sorry, can you please look at my requests and tell if you have it? Thanks in advance, and sorry for disturb.
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/request-211210-rj361498-tentacle-works-テンタクルワークス-賢者ちゃんとhな触手.1392118/
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/request-231104-rj01109498-takotubo-タコツボ-つくよヴィレッジ.1397470/
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/request-misotake-みそテイク-multiple-games.1404036/
TasogareHentai wrote on Shine's profile.
Sorry for disturbing, but can you please reupload this game? Thanks in advance.