Nyaa situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Problems with nyaa.se

Remember this is discussion about Nyaa's downtime, not your feelings.

Reactions: efudgewayne

Oh snap. I felt the cold virtual touch of the G mod right there. Ehrm... onwards to the topic at hand. It seems now we see a new type of error when trying to access nyaa. Not sure if it's just on my end or a change in status quo.

wmKTYDx.png

No, site's still down from DDS, but I guess for now, just refer to the sites on previous posts, so long as THEY don't get hit as well.

[MENTION=2736]WsE[/MENTION];
:nekopara_sorry:

Plz take easy since nyaa is still down... Btw i guess nyaa will be down for more few days. Last time, 1 day after nyaa down, nyaa tracker went online but this time it's still offline. utorrent status for nyaa tracker is "no such host it know."...

Btw i guess nyaa will be down for more few days. Last time, 1 day after nyaa down, nyaa tracker went online but this time it's still offline. utorrent status for nyaa tracker is "no such host it know."...

Azureus reports nyaa's status as:-

Error: Offline - UnknownHostException: Unknown host open.nyaatorrents.info
Error: Offline - PRUDPPacketHandlerException: Unresolved host 'open.nyaatorrents.info'

Good thing though is that the UDP, DHT and Local protocols are still kicking in so downloads continue without issues... for now.

I think the logic is that if nyaa (aka where you can find everything) is down, then the users will have to go through a couple different sites to get everything. Which could be troublesome enough for them to consider going legit.

Though, I do not download from nyaa myself. I find the quality of files on Nyaa are considerably lower than the Chinese equivalent. In particular with many people messing with the source file. Such as scaling up manga, re-compress JPG to a larger filesize, *cough* adding blog url *cough* to every *cough* filename and folder *cough* by some *cough* Admin(s) *cough* working/worked here *cough*. I find it difficult to understand why users find that it is normal for files to be pestered with all sorts of crap, especially when most of those files are just repacked from another source.

Perhaps there just isn't anywhere in the western communities where you can readily access clean files easily, and people would rather accept crap in exchange for convenience.

^ You getting a cold up there lol...

I hope it does comeback soon, I noticed some of my torrents that I downloaded from that site were still downloading so it was a great idea I snagged them before nyaa went down again.

I think the logic is that if nyaa (aka where you can find everything) is down, then the users will have to go through a couple different sites to get everything. Which could be troublesome enough for them to consider going legit.

Though, I do not download from nyaa myself. I find the quality of files on Nyaa are considerably lower than the Chinese equivalent. In particular with many people messing with the source file. Such as scaling up manga, re-compress JPG to a larger filesize, *cough* adding blog url *cough* to every *cough* filename and folder *cough* by some *cough* Admin(s) *cough* working/worked here *cough*. I find it difficult to understand why users find that it is normal for files to be pestered with all sorts of crap, especially when most of those files are just repacked from another source.

Perhaps there just isn't anywhere in the western communities where you can readily access clean files easily, and people would rather accept crap in exchange for convenience.

There is that. And then there is the theory of complete ignorance. Allow me to cite a similar example. A site like Animetake is nothing but an index of various subbing works done by multiple groups. All their admins do is take five minutes to grab a work and post it to their index. Now here is the ironical part. As you said, users access sites like these for ease but at the same time they start thanking the site admins like they are gods and that without them the work couldn't have been subbed. The original subbers, who btw worked hard for hours to sub the said work, don't even get 5 people to say thanks on their sites but the index sites get to have 50 appreciators half of whom completely believe that it's them doing all the work. The above applies to nyaa too especially in the case of groups that do not officially use nyaa for uploading their work. Yet third parties who upload their work get the appreciation while no one even bothers to go to the subbers website. I witnessed a similar thing in the hentai world as well when a certain *cough* uploader *cough* was ripping scripts from subbers and then muxing it together with his own videos uploading it to various lesser known forums and the users there were completely begging and requesting him to sub the next title.

The whole ignorance and concept of ease go hand in hand here. Most users find something and they don't care where it came from or how degraded it is. They just don't wanna be pushed out of their comfort zone by being made to research sources. For them, the lesser they know the happier they are. For me personally? I would love to learn more about the Chinese sources and other difficult stuff but I have yet to earn the friendship of such an expert :gakuran_excited:

Last edited:

I'm not so sure about Chinese sources; being terrible at the language despite it being my mother tongue means that I've never really bothered looking for such sources. But I suppose that's one reason why it bothers the Japanese government and their cronies so much. Going back to my first sentence, I guess one big barrier is that of language. Unless one has been guided through it before, I don't think one is likely to find, much less frequent, a website in a foreign language.

Ummm if I remember well, Nyaa, Anime-Sharing, Niho and many other forums were down at the SAME time last week. AS was down just for more or less 24 hours but seems it's not the case for Nyaa which is still suffering until now.
Then I don't know if it's an attack done by some pirates or if it's a preventive action from Jap gouvernement since they announced recently they are gonna fight against hentai sharing on the web, but all these crashes occured at the same time o_O
Or maybe a coincidence ?! :wtf:

Ummm if I remember well, Nyaa, Anime-Sharing, Niho and many other forums were down at the SAME time last week. AS was down just for more or less 24 hours but seems it's not the case for Nyaa which is still suffering until now.
Then I don't know if it's an attack done by some pirates or if it's a preventive action from Jap gouvernement since they announced recently they are gonna fight against hentai sharing on the web, but all these crashes occured at the same time o_O

A DDoS is an external factor prevents the site from running.
A database fault (in the case of AS) is an internal factor preventing the site from running.
Coincident do happen.

Though I don't think any "pirates" have the resources to sustain a long term DDoS.
I would guess the DDoS actually have stopped for quite some days, but since nyaa already took the DNS down, the guess is they are in the process of moving to another provider with better DDoS protection. If the DNS stays up, the attack will just go to whichever new IP on the DNS field.

AS was down just for more or less 24 hours
100% perfect uptime is not our dream, it's our goal. That said, we never had anywhere near 24 hours of unscheduled down time per fiscal year ever. In fact, we achieved 99.91% up time in the past 4 years, which approximately about 31.50 hours of unplanned downtime in the whole 4 years of operation.

The whole nyaa fiasco finally broke me. I plan to deploy a new server that would help with the slow loading issues very very soon.

Last edited:

The whole nyaa fiasco finally broke me. I plan to deploy a new server that would help with the slow loading issues very very soon.

Oh wow thank god. I always blamed my 512 kbp/s connection for the slow speed in loading I experienced while browsing AS. It's great that it wasn't me and greater that you folks are considering fixing that issue. Power to you on this one.

A DDoS is an external factor prevents the site from running.
A database fault (in the case of AS) is an internal factor preventing the site from running.
Coincident do happen.

Though I don't think any "pirates" have the resources to sustain a long term DDoS.
I would guess the DDoS actually have stopped for quite some days, but since nyaa already took the DNS down, the guess is they are in the process of moving to another provider with better DDoS protection. If the DNS stays up, the attack will just go to whichever new IP on the DNS field.

@ joey86 ... as I had said in an earlier post ... just because Prime Minister Abe did not come on TV and make a formal announcement saying "Start the ATTACK!" ... does not mean the Japanese govt is not behind this series of attacks

@ FlowerTradeWinds ... I agree ... this is not just a hacker attack for his own amusement, and it is not other pirates either ... the attacks are too big, and too well coordinated

this battle has been going on for years ... though there have been a few changes in the "Rules of Engagement" used by the attackers

years back, say 5 years ago and longer ... a sharing site would normally only get in trouble or be targetted if it was hosting files from licensed manga or anime ... that is why sites like animesuki were not bothered, they did their best to make sure that the torrent files listed on the site were not from licensed anime

back then I seem to remember some discussions with a few of the mangaka and anime studios ... and back then the general feeling was that if it was not a licensed anime/manga ... it was ok to fan-sub it an post it online, because it allowed the fans to at least get it ... and the anime/manga producers appreciated the fanbase ... it also let otaku find out what series were even being made

some fans went through various companies in Japan to special order manga and anime that never got licensed ... I have done that myself ... yeah it is expensive ... so I could only do it for a very favorite series ... but the sales of manga and anime did show support for the producers, and let them know that their work was appreciated
... which is why you still see some scanlation groups put a little notice in their work about buying the books when it comes out ... usually referring to when it gets licensed in your country ... which sadly never happens for most manga or anime

I think what most in here are missing ... is that the current series of attacks against piracy sites ... is probably just a side bar issue of the current political battle over the Senkaku Islands ... which are claimed by both Japan and China

besides some new legislation that was passed recently ... and the fact that a large part of the anime/manga piracy is done in or through Chinese sites ... there is a LOT of bad blood between Japan and China going back to World War 2 ... that every so often flares up ... like it is doing now
... I can suspect that part of the effort going into the attacks against the Chinese sites and a few other manga/anime sharing sites ... is just another part of the overall political fighting that has been going on for the past couple of years between China and Japan

and what I find most amusing about the whole thing ... is that the biggest advertiser on the Nyaa site ... (and they fund or advertise on at least one or two more piracy sites) ... is a Japanese business :whistle:

Then it was just a coincidence. Well I didn't know anything about AS issue that day, and when you are checking many forums and just notice 90% are down and remember yourself having read an articule telling Tokyo police is going to start a RAID against foreign forums sharing Japanese stuff ... Fiou, you just wonder if there is not a link between all of that ?! O_o

Meh, whatever they do, it's more like a temporay bloody mess to make some noice because they won't eradicate piracy and sharing just like that. Something similar happened some years ago, and some uploaders just adopted a low profile during a short time to let pass the storm and everything re-started like before some weeks later. Results: we are 2014 and different stuffs still available for free DL on the net.

Then it was just a coincidence. Well I didn't know anything about AS issue that day, and when you are checking many forums and just notice 90% are down and remember yourself having read an articule telling Tokyo police is going to start a RAID against foreign forums sharing Japanese stuff ... Fiou, you just wonder if there is not a link between all of that ?! O_o

Meh, whatever they do, it's more like a temporay bloody mess to make some noice because they won't eradicate piracy and sharing just like that. Something similar happened some years ago, and some uploaders just adopted a low profile during a short time to let pass the storm and everything re-started like before some weeks later. Results: we are 2014 and different stuffs still available for free DL on the net.

Indeed. As long as the internet highway remains free, there will always be a way to get stuff. The very reason everyone should protest when US tries to pass bills that endanger that freedom. Piracy isn't "evil" all the time. Hell most of the time it's a way for fans to get stuff in every corner of the world when official sources refuse to physically and legally sell them there. Hell I can't even legally buy stuff ONLINE with my VISA powered Debit Card from websites like www.dlsite.com because they would rather have me pay by an International Credit Card. Well I am sorry, I am student and they don't give us Credit Cards unless we have full time jobs, not to mention the upkeep of an International CC is ridiculous, and if a VISA backed card isn't good enough for you, then please don't ask us to not pirate. Cause I love animes/games and I am not gonna just turn around and walk away dejected because either you guys haven't got your stuff sorted out or your greed has no bounds.

@LonerPrime: Where the hell whe're you ?
Your missing in action on SubDESU but I see your active here >_>

@All
Nyaa has a lot of things not on one order.
1) They change announce URL listing in your torrents without your knowledge (yes they really did, you just didn't care to check it).
2) Their DNS server runs on their own server, so their domain is also completely dead cause of this.
3) Nyaa tried to get a new server at my DC, and cancelled it when he noticed I worked there. 2 hours of work for nothing, and he went back to his old host, which is dead again, completely.
4) Nyaa is outdated, tracker software is outdated, the design is seriously outdated, and their upload options and editting features, are outdated. It works sure, but it's by far a "good" tracker.
5) Nyaa and Daiz got their community through backtalking to fansub group founders that we're on other trackers, handing out free stuff like hosting and what not, smart since nobody (the downloaders) gives a crap. In this way, Nyaa killed a lot of growing good trackers by stealing community.

I could go on, but I've kinda let it all behind, until he tried to buy a box at my DC, and fired me up again.
Anyway, Nyaa should do whatever he feels like, but I will always say their tracker is total garbage and outdated.

Heh hey P2A. Long time.

Folks, allow me to introduce. Anime-sharing community |> Power2All. Power2All |> Anime-sharing community.

Power2All is the owner/admin of Anirena and a resident tech expert over at SubDesu. He also, if I am not wrong, was the creator of the tracker that predated nyaa, hence a very old player in this game.

PS: On an offtopic, @P2A irl stuff caught up to me for now. Not as much active as I used to be during my SubDesu days. No time to even browse the forum either. Active in this thread only :) . Will swing by when I get the time.

hehe no problem LonerPrime.
Lots of stuff happened to me too a year ago, but I worked around it.

Please do, dadesu was confused that you we're suddenly gone ;)

As for Nyaa, I heared they going to use CloudFlare, but I doubt it really helps prevent DDoS, since they still need to host it somewhere.
It's just a matter of time.

Looks like their domain is back.
Pointing to 127.0.0.1 now, guess they are still afraid being DDoS't.
I wonder if they know, that their server IP's won't be invisible... But whatever I guess ;)

@LonerPrime: Where the hell whe're you ?
Your missing in action on SubDESU but I see your active here >_>

@All
Nyaa has a lot of things not on one order.
1) They change announce URL listing in your torrents without your knowledge (yes they really did, you just didn't care to check it).
2) Their DNS server runs on their own server, so their domain is also completely dead cause of this.
3) Nyaa tried to get a new server at my DC, and cancelled it when he noticed I worked there. 2 hours of work for nothing, and he went back to his old host, which is dead again, completely.
4) Nyaa is outdated, tracker software is outdated, the design is seriously outdated, and their upload options and editting features, are outdated. It works sure, but it's by far a "good" tracker.
5) Nyaa and Daiz got their community through backtalking to fansub group founders that we're on other trackers, handing out free stuff like hosting and what not, smart since nobody (the downloaders) gives a crap. In this way, Nyaa killed a lot of growing good trackers by stealing community.

I could go on, but I've kinda let it all behind, until he tried to buy a box at my DC, and fired me up again.
Anyway, Nyaa should do whatever he feels like, but I will always say their tracker is total garbage and outdated.

hehe no problem LonerPrime.
Lots of stuff happened to me too a year ago, but I worked around it.

Please do, dadesu was confused that you we're suddenly gone ;)

As for Nyaa, I heared they going to use CloudFlare, but I doubt it really helps prevent DDoS, since they still need to host it somewhere.
It's just a matter of time.
Looks like their domain is back.
Pointing to 127.0.0.1 now, guess they are still afraid being DDoS't.
I wonder if they know, that their server IP's won't be invisible... But whatever I guess ;)

hmmmmmmmm ..... ok, so there is some bad blood between you and Nyaa ......... you really really really dont like Nyaa ... and want to do your very best to trash talk them ........... ok, you made your point

out of curiosity I checked out the site you say you own ... AniRena .......................... I was MUCH less than impressed ... you do have a section for music, so since that is something I got a LOT of from Nyaa I checked out your section ........... and was WAY less than impressed

the first torrent file I downloaded gave me an "unknown file type" that was unusable by my computer, let alone by u-torrent ... I promptly deleted that file and did NOT try to download any more torrent files from your site

then I tried doing a search for some groups I know and like ........... Babymetal, you have just one FLAC file showing up ... Nyaa had LOTS of their stuff ......... Perfume, you had no files listed ... Nyaa had some ............... Sphere, you had none listed ... Nyaa had LOTS, I got all 4 of their albums from Nyaa and some music vids done by them, also from Nyaa

so while I understand that you dont like Nyaa .............. if you are going to trash talk them ... and I assume, proudly proclaim yourself as the owner of a torrent sharing site ............... you first might want to make sure that YOUR site IS in fact better than the site you are trash talking about :whistle:

Ultimately it is dependent on uploaders (and by extension the community) to populate a such a site. Not commenting on technical bits, because I can't, one can say that nyaa had a better publicist, underhanded or not. I do hope that nyaa goes back up, but hopefully this incident brings more awareness to alternative sources and both uploaders and downloaders alike would use multiple of such sources instead of solely relying on one in the future.

It seems nyaa is back up. I can access the site at the time i make this post :).

Edit: tracker is still off...

Okay I did not want to do this since nyaa is up and everything at the moment but since theodoric seems to have have some misunderstandings I just wanted to clear the air a bit.

1) As posted by one of the admins here already, lets keep this thread about nyaa and its present status and not some other tracker bashing.

2) I apologize if you felt offended on account of my friend Power2All's post but I assure you, you only know half the story. I don't wanna hijack this thread with details but let's just say that even a handful of subbers walked away from nyaa's rotten attitude let alone issues with competing trackers. Sure there is bad blood between nyaa and anirena but it's not like nyaa is completely innocent. As I pointed out already, nyaa made enemies on account of their senseless actions on multiple occasions in the past.

3) Nowhere in P2A's post did he advertise his site to be superior. Let's not get personal here as he is just stating the present technical condition of nyaa. Furthermore his opinion on the matter may look bluntly hostile but if you went talking with nyaa folks somewhere I am sure you will find the same kind of language used against Anirena.

4) Finally I pointed this out already before but, nyaa refused to play nice with other trackers and outright discouraged people to use anything else. Can you really justify a comparison after such a dick move? I mean isn't it obvious that people would rather prefer a wildly popular site no matter how much better the competition is? Let's even forget Anirena since you weren't impressed. Can you point out anything else that has a comparable database and still wildly accessed? Bakabt aside, I don't think you can cite any as far as torrent trackers go all because people don't wanna let go of nyaa. Period.

Please try to understand that what happened to nyaa recently is actually a big wake up call to every uploader/downloader out there as pichu655889 pointed out. Relying solely on nyaa is a big mistake as any attack leaves the whole torrent traffic crippled outright. What we need is an even distribution of work to multiple sites and if such sites don't score high on your "Impressive Scale" then suggesting ideas to improve them may look like helping strangers at first but is actually helping yourself in the long run. Blatant bashing will do no one any good.

Plus in the end, we all here love anime-sharing more than any other site! :P

Regards,
LonerPrime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Ravia desdemona wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hello sir im just wonderin if ye also going to add

とある女騎士の分裂日常

by 一兵卒?
fwmdbg wrote on Esan's profile.
I will request
Title / タイトル: 戦国†恋姫EX参 ~毛利家の絆編~
Brand / ブランド: BaseSon
Release / 販売日: 2023.07.28
hehehezozo wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
Hello, Dear Nihonjaki90, can you please reupload mexashare and katfile of 奴隷肉便器リコ ?! Many Thanks