Who here has bought/not bought a next gen console

Have you bought a next gen console?

• I got it all pc and consoles

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

11Z11

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2013
Some of us have been through all post atari console gens and at everyone there was an improvement in graphics the size of and sophistication of games...better controls,there was a variety of games unique to the current available consoles.

indeed selecting a console was difficult if you could only have one,do i stay loyal?do i try the ps with it's less comfortable(or seemingly so) pad design,will i miss mario zelda etc,regardless of choice you were guaranteed a unique experience on any system with games that made you want to buy one of them.

This is not the case this gen, it's 2016...er for now at least,and yet i have yet to get a next gen console,I had been waiting for the s model of either of the big 2...yes yes nintendo is also there but they are not really are an option are they?or maybe they are but more on that later.

So now the s models are out and i'd been looking into which to get and so i'd look at price,bundles,pad designs,specs and people opinions as well any faults with the 2 devices

what i found was that they both have been out what?four years and the library of games is...rather sparse,there are like a handfull maybe less games on either side that i would like to play unique to each system and some of them are rerelease/remasters

I thought ah screw it what the worst than can happen i use the purchased console alternatively as a blue ray player?but then i start reading the xb1s has trouble with that hdm/r whatever it's called on paramount and universal disks...heck even normal bluerays,then the ps4s might have those issues as well and bad battery life in the pad with an on pad light you can't turn off

there is WiiU which finally starts to look better with the other 2 having way too many shooters but it has crap 3rd party support and tendency to reuse certain chars way too much

also that fact that half the price of the WiiU is that awful gimmick controller...that's what i read,if they would just dump it like ms did the connect,a 150-200 wii might be an ok system to get...especially since nintendo still seems to value local MP(Split screen)

finally do i even need a new console? my new rig which i finally got a while back has an I5 3.5ghts quad core the best of it's gen and a gtx970 running on a ss drive(man it's worth it with those boot up times) , I'm thinking maybe i'll just get a steam account and game on my much more powerful pc after all i never thought steam was a bad idea as a digital platform just bs that retail copies had to be activated....

Last edited:
I haven't bought one so far, for a few reasons.

Firstly, I bought myself a gaming PC at the end of 2015, so there was no need for a new console. Secondly, at the beginning all of the interesting games I wanted to play also came out on PC. Thirdly, after I heard that the performance of the PS4 and Xbox One weren't that good, I said myself "soon there will be a new PS4 and a new Xbox One anyway, so there's no need to buy one now".

And then after a few Xbox One exclusives came out, I really thought about it, but then a few months later Microsoft announced the "Xbox Play Anywhere" program. There I thought "yeah, now I can play some of the Xbox One exclusives" ... but then it got busy with my job (further training and so on) and then I couldn't play for around two months anyway. At the moment I only played Quantum Break of the exclusive titles, Forza Horizon 3 would be the next, but then I saw The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC on the Steam sale as well as Watch Dogs 2, so for now I will be busy playing these games.

Maybe I'll buy the Xbox One Scorpio, if the reviews are good after it's out.

And to answer your question:
If you can play the newest games on PC with decent FPS and on graphic settings which are acceptable for you, then the only reason for a console would be games which are only available on consoles. But even if you are interested in some console titles, wait at least half a year, because some of the "console exclusives" also get a pc version at a later date. That's the reason I think that Final Fantasy XV will also get a pc release sometimes. After FF XIII and the remakes of the older titles it would be crazy if XV won't be available on PC.

And just to make it clear, Steam is the worst gaming platform ever. The support needs a few days to answer one of your questions, the need one to two weeks to refund a game (and then they only refund it to your Steam wallet, even if you payed with Paypal - Origin for example refunds the game in a few minutes), you need an Android or iOS smartphone to install the fucking Steam app, otherwise all your trading offers will be held back and so on.
So newer buy products directly on Steam. I'm still buying the disc versions (main reason would be because I'm a collector and it's cooler to have 100 cover boxes at home than 100 digital copies). The only games I buy on Steam are ones from the Steam sale. All of my other games are from Kinguin (you can buy Steam key's there and it's much cheaper - I got Quantum Break for example for around 10 USD).

It's PC all the way for me. Yeah there are few great exclusives on both consoles (mainly PS4), but with my current financial situation it isn't possible for me to buy one. But with that said, thanks to Steam sales and such I can play so many games. But if I had the money I would buy both consoles to be able to play all awesome video games. But maybe in 10 or so years we'll be able to emulate them haha.

I've pretty much given up buying consoles since buying the original Wii. Realized I was buying fewer and fewer good games per console, and with PC gaming being a thing the only reason to get most consoles is just for exclusives, which are just annoying. I'm always going to want to have a good PC anyway, so I'll just use that for gaming.

Emulation is also a fair point, since while consoles will eventually break down and you'll lose your old games (even though my SNES is managing to hold out so far! -- the Dreamcast not so much), with emulation you can eventually -- at least in theory -- count on backing up old games you like in a much more sustainable way. Sony attempted to make the ps3 too difficult to emulate, but people have just taken that as a challenge and there has been really impressive progress made so far. (Unfortunately emulation still has a few big gaps for now, which I hope are eventually closed, but I could go on and on about it so I'll cut off here.)

I have a PS4 and a X1.

PS4 is better for games.
X1 is better as a media device as it has much more streaming apps.

I've pretty much given up buying consoles since buying the original Wii. Realized I was buying fewer and fewer good games per console, and with PC gaming being a thing the only reason to get most consoles is just for exclusives, which are just annoying. I'm always going to want to have a good PC anyway, so I'll just use that for gaming.

Emulation is also a fair point, since while consoles will eventually break down and you'll lose your old games (even though my SNES is managing to hold out so far! -- the Dreamcast not so much), with emulation you can eventually -- at least in theory -- count on backing up old games you like in a much more sustainable way. Sony attempted to make the ps3 too difficult to emulate, but people have just taken that as a challenge and there has been really impressive progress made so far. (Unfortunately emulation still has a few big gaps for now, which I hope are eventually closed, but I could go on and on about it so I'll cut off here.)

Really nicely put. I've been keeping an eye on PS3 and X360 emulation (and emulation scene in general) for a long time and in recent years there's been some really huge progress. Not to mention 3DS and Wii U emulators, which will probably be in playable state very soon, which is just so awesome. Anyone here seen youtube videos of Citra's games with 3-4x times native resolution? Those games look so good on a emulator.

Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-8VGP9s5lI

Wow i did not think anyone was going to...at least vote,but hey at least eventually there were some posts here,kinda surprised there was no activity before on this thread as it's an interesting topic.

Ok so my decision was to not get a nex-gen console or steam,what i did was get more games for my 360,they're pretty freakin cheap now ,so i got me a couple rpg which are really lacking in my library for the 360

Reason for my decision was all the little hassles just to get an xbox or ps just to play out the box,day one patches,ridiculous gbs sized game patches credit cards needed just to get patches....weak library of titles.

Steam,decided against it when looking into it online ran into story about dude/s that suddenly had their whole game library taken from them by steam guys without even an explanation of why or could even be reached for an explanation

...no just no if you pay for something it's yours and to be in a service where your purchased goods can just be taken is against one's self interest or common sense...so basically confirming why i was wary of the idea of steam.

I'm a fair guy so even though Nintendo kicked us og n fans to the curb when they stopped making more streamlined (less gimmicky) consoles, I'm still gonna give em a chance and see what they got to offer.

the Switch looked it over, I'll pass,it's another gimmicky system not sure of it's specs but i bet the price would be a lot lower (much like wii u) if the gimmick side of the design was not there,also 3 whole batteries to charge 1 for console/portable and 1 for each mini controller weak internal storage all this at a price (300 $) that is more than current xb1 ps4 prices,no pack in game and for those of you who care,online will now require a fee(though i think i read somewhere it might be cheap)

So yeah pass on the switch as well

I seriously doubt Steam took someones account for no reason, don't ever believe anyone who says that. They definitely broke some serious rule if they went that far to close their account. But I must agree with you that buying games online is not a good idea. I wasted over 2,500€ on games because I couldn't hold myself back whenever they had huge deals, I ended up with hundreds of games and 75% of them I never even played. But that's not the issue. The issue is that you're just renting those games they're never really yours that's why I prefer to buy physical copies atleast when it's a game that I really really like.

To answer the topic, I was going to guy PS4 Pro but I changed my mind. The reason is that I don't really play games that much nowdays, can't figure out if it's because I have no interest in the games that are currently on PS4 or just in games in general. I will definitely buy it someday when I'll feel like I need to finally play something ... So far there are only two titles that I consider a must play Persona 5 and Red Dead Redemption 2 but they're still not out and besides I feel like I don't need to play them right now.

Since when playstation 3 came out I didn't play console too much for two main reasons:

1/ because I always bought used consoles as I don't want to spend too much money on it (also since ps3/360 generation, you have to be somewhat lucky to keep it cool and working, especially if it's second handed.)
2/ I wasn't too much interested by the new gen of gaming. It's not bad tbh, I'm just not too much excited by new games anymore.

The true main reason is money I guess though (as a student I had to choose what I buy cautiously). It's a little sad that now it had been so much time, I don't feel like catching up with gaming. ;_; I had a ps3 not too long ago, I remember playing Athena on famicom instead. (*´∀`*)

Ok so my decision was to not get a nex-gen console or steam,what i did was get more games for my 360,they're pretty freakin cheap now ,so i got me a couple rpg which are really lacking in my library for the 360

360 is actually a great console, what RPG/games did you get ?

tales of vesperia , seems like it's gonna be a fun game...that yugioh assassin knockoff(first boss) was a real pain in the ass...though the more i get beat on in these games the more tougher i get,when i did beat him i pretty much slapped him around.(this rpg has a Manuel control of chars)

the last remnant,seemed promising but it's kinda grindy and the real problem is all bosses and some normal monster have these cheese attacks and some like the one that has made me want to quit it ,the hells gate boss ,can even reanimate your own army members and attack you with them...i heard the game only gets cheaper so i don't know if i wanna continue

also got the whole Final Fantasy 13 saga(three games) ,have not tried them yet

Haven't touched The Last remnant yet but I heard the game was pretty tough. Tales of Vesperia is one of my favorite game, I never could play it a lot as my 360/ps3 died before each single time. It makes me so sad actually, but at least I could finish it 2-3times. (; ̄Д ̄)

Also, I love how the game is rewarding when you get to play higher difficulty and in manual mode, especially when you try new character. Yuri is fucking op but gameplaywise Judith, Raven, Rita, Karol and Patty (only ps3 version on this one unfortunately) are actually so fun to play with. Also even if the game seems to be more inflexible than most of the newer Tales Series games, artes and skills allow you to get more freedom, etc. Also, beating hard/extra bosses with friends is awesome and a good part of the game too...

I haven't played FF13 series yet neither, but yeah overall good choice of games... There's also Lost Odyssey I would like to try next time I get a 360... Have you tried it yet ?

nope but i had considered Lost Odyssey

The playstation 3 seems to have a good selection of rpg...well mostly 3 because the next-gen library is kinda lacking with mostly re-releases though for some of of us who never had a ps it's all new

Things i was considering when i might have chosen a ps4 were the the FF1O 2pack kingdom hearts 2pack and the nathan drake trilogy,grand kingdom(sorta reminds me of ogre battle)...and The Witch and the Hundred Knight: Revival Edition...looking for the name of the last game it's seems the ps4 library grew a bit

i have a ps4 and the x1. i have to say, i've been happiest with my ps4 purchase. it's made very easy to use. a lot about the interface on x1 irritates me. i don't know if they ever fixed it, but i also hated that if i wanted to watch netflix, xbox gold was required. that should be unnecessary. i also just like the controller a lot better too. the touchpad has been very useful to me. not to mention the fact that it has a rechargeable battery. i don't understand why xbox couldn't be bothered doing that same thing

It's probably the game diversity that ps4 has that makes you like it more,

could not tell you anything about the interface as i have neither system.

Last i heard they were changing it so you no longer needed gold to watch netflix

Some of us like the batteries, on the 360 i really like having the option of a pack or batteries,say you are in mid game,some 360 games(not sure if it's some or all or whatever actually)keep playing even if your controller runs out of power

so what to do without power?if you got a pack with batteries in it you just quickly swap it in and your back in the game,or if it was batteries the died you quickly swap em in and your back quickly...anyway the option is whats cool

i've never had a problem with a dying controller to be honest. and the cords used to charge it are used for so many other electronics, so losing one was never an issue. installation of games are faster on ps4 too in my experience. i've waited hours before being able to play a game for the xbox one, while on ps4 i was able to install it faster, and it let me play the game while it's downloading (offline only) also, how simple it was for me to get a new hard drive installed was nice. and as a bonus, the most recent update now lets you use an external hard drive almost exactly like an internal one. obviously i have a biased in favor of playstation, but when the consoles first came out, i was very open-minded about it

I've had 360 controllers run out of charge on me in mid game though wither they ran out of charge on me or just turned of off due to a design flaw in the battery location/shape more ,i don't which is more prevalent till recently(sorta fix it)

You could surely go without batteries with the ps3 pad, heard it has a good battery,ps4 pad is another matter,heard that thing sucks at battery life and having to buy another pad and keep it charged is not an acceptable option that's more like a fanboy choice to defend a bad design.

i'll take your word on the load times times or download times not sure which one you were referring to as i don't have either system nor could i compare 360 times as i never used live and eventually found out an alternative way to get patches for my games.

Nothing wrong with having a bias...probably it should more be thought of as a preference, i for instance prefer the 360 controller over the ps designs yet think it could have had a way better cross-pad...the thumb stick seem to die rather quickly on them too and there was that flaw in the battery pack area i mentioned

so even though i have a "preference" i can see and admit the flaws of my preferred console and controllers etc,i mentioned this as too often people break out into console clicks and begin silly flame wars and thus cool relaxed discussions of topics like this can't be had when that happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Christ is Risen, Truly Risen & Love Everlasting, all praise to Thee' Heavenly Father, Son and Holy Ghost!
darkpachon wrote on Shine's profile.
Can you reupload these link in katfile?

(18禁ゲーム) [150626][STUDIO邪恋] 操心術 外伝 ~綾河博士のHENTAI事件簿~

sorry
NW Energy is a leading solar firm serving Vancouver and the surrounding areas. We design, manufacture, and install solar energy systems to help you save money while also delivering a cleaner, more stable power source. Over 10,000 households and businesses have benefited from our comprehensive energy solutions.
nobis_c wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi Ryzen, do you think you can update this one?
理想のおとうさん to v1.1.2
Zitrone wrote on Shine's profile.
Good Day, if you have some Time left i would be appreciate if you could update

✨Shine✨[231207][猫3] 理想のおとうさん ~愛娘との同棲生活~ (Ver1.1.1.1) [RJ01104619]

it has a new Version 1.12
Thanks for your hard work