What do you prefer playing? Love or Dark themed visual novels?

Overall which type of visual novel do you prefer?

• Loved Themed

Votes: 41 60.3%
  • Dark Themed

Votes: 27 39.7%

• Total voters

Lemon Solace

Nov 14, 2011
Just curious as to what most people prefer on a very basic level (with every VN basically fitting into one of these two categories...)

Which do you prefer overall? For example if you could only download/buy 1 game this month and were faced with two amazing games would you go for the:

"Love themed game"

or

"Dark themed game"

I wouldnt say dark, but I like my VNs with at least some plot.

As ranted by many members here (including me), pure love or moeges are way too common. Not that I dont like it, but every month, there is a similar offering, just cute characters, different school settings and everything from then on is nothing special. Of course there are a few guys here who like, personally, I dont really play too much of those games. I dont avoid them, I do play if I like the characters or support the company etc.

I am in for the H and a small extent, plot. I do find myself enjoying almost every common route of games (imo, essentially the best parts of the game before you hit the girl's specific route and H). If I dont play for some story, it simply means I am nukige-ming~

Last edited:
Just curious as to what most people prefer on a very basic level (with every VN basically fitting into one of these two categories...)

Which do you prefer overall? For example if you could only download/buy 1 game this month and were faced with two amazing games would you go for the:

"Love themed game"

or

"Dark themed game"

im an what they say, ALL ROUNDER type!
but to tell the truth, im quite dissapointed with the eroge development lately, since 90% eroge lately are based on love comedy story. you'd hardly find any action, horror, or what you so called dark themed game, i think those kind of game doesn't reach a dozen in a year!

Whatever has the better story.
Which usually means the "dark theme" because the "love theme" consists to 99% out of the same rehash of high school drama.

Well,probably Dark themed..love Dark stuff ^^,but yeah story has to be good :P

Last edited:
If I had to choose I'd take love themed games just because even if it turns out to be crap I could at least walk away gracefully. When a dark themed game turns out to be crap it leaves me bad taste that lasts for days because it was practically a depressant.
It's true dark themed games have more twists and surprises but once in a while there are love games that are purely fun like RenZero that gives me good laugh. Then there are masterpiece love games like Irotoridori no Sekai (which has rather dark theme) that have amazing story.

I like love stories the most. I don't mind dark stories as long as they have a compelling story. The last dark themed eroge I played was Gore Screaming Show xDDD

Orisa,
I'm curious about why you think IroSeka is a dark themed eroge. I played it and it was a indeed a masterpiece but based on love and relationships.

Orisa,
I'm curious about why you think IroSeka is a dark themed eroge. I played it and it was a indeed a masterpiece but based on love and relationships.

Did you play through to the end?
I don't know about you but people being killed off one by one, a world where living sacrifice is needed to be protected sounds like a dark theme to me.

I like love stories the most. I don't mind dark stories as long as they have a compelling story. The last dark themed eroge I played was Gore Screaming Show xDDD

Man I loved the Gore Screaming Show, it was - well IS the only guro game I've ever really enjoyed. Very good game.

Did you play through to the end?
I don't know about you but people being killed off one by one, a world where living sacrifice is needed to be protected sounds like a dark theme to me.

At first it was pretty "dark" I guess but, in the end it turned no one really "died" and everyone got their happy ending. Maybe because Love was the main theme of the game I didn't thought of the story as something cruel though, I do accept it was tragic sometimes.

I guess your definition of Dark Themed eroge is different from mine. To me a dark themed eroge is something like Gore Screaming Show.

For me I guess I love to read any VN as long as the story's great and had used a well-known seiyu. Some dark and love themed games like FS/N/A,Demonbane, Saya no Uta, Jingai Makyo and other creations by Nitroplus (excluding sonicomi) are classics, well for me. Kusari is also a dark themed game that's full of murder ( I don't know what's going inside the antagonist's head going off like that and killing all the crew). Kara no Shojo is a dark one too. As for the love themed, I'd say YMK and LOVELY x CATION might caught you off guard , occasionally that is. :D

*sigh* I'll miss the VN industry when I'm older...

Last edited:
I like the visual novels in which the hero is badass
In most of the love story VN's he's a spineless wimp who lets the girls do all the work

I prefer the Dark themed ones
Though I prefer if there aren't many graphic rape scenes

as long as the story is good and the option in game is quite challenge either is fine

Why dark? Why light? Well, mostly I like both. But if I have to choose then it's dark-themed allright. Most Eroge-RPG that I have is Light-themed so it can't be helped. Other Eroge that I own is dark-themed (Gore, BDSM, Adultery, NTR, you name it).

If I only can pick one, then I'll go for dark theme.
Need it to calm the lil' demon inside me, before it goes out of control and hurt the real life one. Y'all know what I mean, right?

Thou I pick dark over love, it doesn't mean that I don't like something that lovey-dovey.:lovestruck:
Remember, I like cat, and cat people are peaceful beings.:traitor:
Just like cats, they got claws but still cute, don't they?

Last edited:
If I can only choose one, I just choose "love" theme even the scenes is not so interesting, I prefer read the whole story to see "awesome" CGs.

But seems that I like both those since the NTR, gore and mindbreaking eroges are also interesting if they have plot interest as good as love theme.

Honestly, what ever has the a really good plot and storyline with decent amount of character development tends to be my favorites. Also throw in well designed themed scenes, characters, music and voice overs. That would and will catch my interest.

Although between both of those choices, I have to go Light Love Themes over Dark Themes. Seen plenty of both in real life and sometimes I rather take a break. Although I rather have a mix since it very few visual novels I've seen do it so well.

I choose Love themed, perhaps only because I like play a game with good ending. But I also like a dark game with a good story ( whether it has good ending or not)

I'd go with Dark-themed VN's. Every so often there's always that obscure title that riles me up. Although I'd play any kind of VN (Granted that both art, story, and voice-acting are at a certain level), Dark ones are the type that take up most of my time. Love-themed VN's are for when I need a break~

The darker the better. You can find love IRL, but it's not often you find a girl that will do what someone like Asagi does :D That said I can still enjoy a pure love game if the atmosphere and art are really good (WA2, Princess Lover, etc)

I prefer the love themed, but I have no problem with darker games, as long as they don't have too much blood. ;)

I haven't played any dark Visual Novels but I am willing to try them. That being said, I guess I can go to the love themed Visual Novels side.

I prefer loved themed ones. If possible with an exciting story and funny moments ... I don't like something like death, rape, etc. in visual novels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Hapsunn wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
heyy can you please update [210811][ナッツが主食] JKボクサー凛香と復讐の地下リング Ver1.1 [RJ325990], there is a newer version of the game, it gives the game an english translation, thank you
Sirvipe235 wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
mizuno ai wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
Could you please reupload RJ273092 and RJ321841 ?
Hapsunn wrote on HentaiCovid's profile.
heyy can you upload JKボクサー凛香と復讐の地下リング and there is an update to the game. https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ325990.html/?locale=en_US, please upload the Apr/28/2022 version
Hapsunn wrote on Shine's profile.
can you please update this game https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/210811-ナッツが主食-jkボクサー凛香と復讐の地下リング-ver1-1-rj325990.1103469/ , there is an update according to the dlsite https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ325990.html/?locale=en_US