Other ways to learn Japanese?

learnt hiragana at 14... after that mastering katakana just so i could play SRW in Snes
after that Tokimemo... and alas... i know japanese kanji etc etc

2 years ago passed JLPT 1

Currently trying to learn Japanese on yesjapan.com XD my friend said it worked for her so im giving it a shot. They give you the first couple lessons even if you're a free user.

oh the great lord...

10 years ago I made fun of a friend who invited me to study Japanese with him. I asked him "Japanese? It's pretty much useless, why would you learn that"

Now it's his turn to laugh at me... as I struggle with Japanese. Karma is a bitch.

I'm currently trying to learn japanese too. Anime's really do help me and they have added ALOT to my japanese vocabulary.
Also, I use this site for references: http://japanese.about.com/
Handy for commonly used words/sentences and alot of other stuff.
As for grammar, I use this game I recently downloaded for my DS: My Japanese Coach. Serisouly this game is so awesome.
With the help of the game, I got Katakana/Hiragana mastered in less than 4 days. Right now I'm working on the Kanji but this is so much harder ._.. If you have a DS, I highly recommend this game.
Other than that, classes do work. Onforutnately there are no classes for me..can't seem the find them OR they are ridiculously expensive..Oh well, I'll have to do with anime's and the game :3. Ofcourse this wont be enough but I will be able to get around in Japan with the hlep of these!

Stopped learning Japanese since I got into college. Been having my lessons with daily anime and anisong dose, somehow it helps, if not a lot, at least by a bit.
Just hate that I still tend to think/read in Chinese when reading kanjis. However, having Chinese as a base helped in my Japanese, at least for me.

Wow. Congratulations on that. While many here are saying they can speak Japanese, N1 goes well beyond just everyday speech and into true fluency.

I started with very basic group lessons given through a university extension program (think a community center). From there, my wife and I took some private lessons, studied at a cram school in Tokyo, and are working on N2. The hardest part is the lack of good conversation practice. That is where regular classes and a teacher really help.

im starting learning japanese in next days .i think that would be a real challenge for me ,bsc that be the first time i learning this type .i used to work with japanese befor but only copy n paste .i really think it difficult ,but hope i can reach it

I don't think you can learn Japanese just by watching anime, sorry. Maybe you'll have a basic idea of what's going on but so would anyone else with eyes lol You need books and determination to learn tricky things like particles, verb tenses etc. Some good books are Genki, Remembering the Kana, and All About Particles. There are also video series you can watch. For kanji there's Anki. Also you can visit Japanese boards and see what's going on there. Rikaichan helps with that

Last edited:
Try buying Colloquial Japanese, the complete course for beginner. It's quite easy to study and you can take it easy just by reviewing and study one lesson each 3 days and you will realize that you have improved a lot. Because it teaches you nearly every aspect.

大大哪裡有資源可以日文語音的有聲小說.雖然h~有聲書不錯但是嘰嘰喳喳的吸屌聲太多很討厭...

I have to have some sort of teacher helping me learn but I think that's cause I'm used to school style of learning from educators. That and I have trouble focusing on self studying by myself since there are so many distractions in the world.(also,the only JPN teacher I knew went back to japan...)

Summary: Uses a teacher teach the student(me) method due to lack of focus and determination.

Languages are probably best learned by immersion. Short of dropping myself into Japan and forced to speak Japanese every single day, I think watching anime and Japanese drama with Japanese Subtitles would be the most effective and a subconscious level exercise on the learner. This does require complete knowledge of hiragana, and shape recognition skills (kanji are dumb if you can't see tell what they are). Some kind subber might sub the japanese into romanji, in which case, I would need to be a quick romanji reader and hope in a million years that I don't have to actually read Japanese but only need to speak and listen. Eventually, I hope I would get to a level where I feel subs are for dummies, and I can just go raw.

Would be nice if someone can tell me where I can find Japanese Subs though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

seviness wrote on Shine's profile.
Can you PLEASE reupload this one? Thank you.

✨Shine✨[240426][おふろワークス] サキと淫絡の坩堝 [RJ01138218]

mobius0417 wrote on Esan's profile.
[070525][ROOT] 桃華月憚(とうかげったん) 豪華版

The link for the above work is broken on Katfile and Mexashare, so please re-upload it.
Shhlime wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
Could you reupload this relatively vintage game on Mexa? Would appreciate greatly.
AnimeDreamX wrote on Otokonoko's profile.