Fate Zero

Good episode. I'm actually a bit fond of the down time episodes because it gives the series more room for characterization. If it was just fighting all the time, not only would the series be super short but you wouldn't care at all if characters die. Besides, they have to strategize as well. We can't have everyone running around getting killed several times, now can we?

I was worried about two things, the torture scene (which either they didn't bother to put in in the first place or censored it completely...if you're feeling super morbid, go read the scene on Baka Tsuki. This episode is the start of vol 2) and being able to pare down the conversation with Gilgamesh and Kirei. They have interesting conversations, which sets up everything very well for their relationship later on, but they can get boring since they are also the most philosophical. I think they handled it very well. I also like that this conversation showed a different side of Gilgamesh, that he actually can talk to someone without constantly saying that they're not fit to be in his presence.

A very small thing, in that Gil/Kirei conversation. "Pleasure" would have made more sense than "joy," especially since Kirei was saying that it's sinful. Joy isn't much of a sin. Pleasure, to him, is. What was it translated to in other languages?

Now just need some Initial D BGM for the car scene.

I was worried about two things, the torture scene (which either they didn't bother to put in in the first place or censored it completely...if you're feeling super morbid, go read the scene on Baka Tsuki.

You know, that really bothers me the most about episode 6..

It's so god damn morbid and shows just how crazy Uryu and Caster's antics are, and shows a much better reason for why they called for a cease fire of the grail war to terminate Caster/Uryuu rather then them ignoring the rules/etiquette being a hindrance to their plan for Tokiomi...

Don't think there's any way they can go back to it, much less how it could be uncensored in those insanely over priced dvd boxes they where already promoting.

But it's the one thing that's even disappointed me about Zero so far, heh.

They did say they will add extra scenes and materials in the BDs so we might get it there.

Story shifts kinda quickly compared to the novels about Caster as the new assassination target. All everyone should go kill him, and the reward is a fresh new command seals, which will definitely give the masters an additional advantage.

Episode was quite fast-paced, with ufotable showing you how Kayneth avoided death, which went against Kiritsugu's prediction last week. Caster's major misunderstanding and bluffs thinking that Saber is Jeanne was very well done here, the story between him and Jeanne back in their times was one to forget, therefore his obsession with her.

Episode was perfect in execution, except for the slightly fast pace this week. Kiritsugu never or extremely rarely spoke to Saber directly, in fact, I cant remember any lines, but I know they exist. They go through Irisviel, who is really indirectly Saber's master, as she is the one looking after our King of Knights. Kiritsugu's desperation at Kirei's actions will subsequently lead into a mis-judgment of their situation, after Caster attempted kidnap of Saber, before Lancer joins the fray.

Rider is still probably the best till date, wearing that super tight shirt with the world printed on it. The interaction between him and the deliveryman was epic, "You want my signature? Very well." FLEX THOSE MUSCLES!

Next week promises more extreme twists for non-novel readers.

Last edited:
Well

I was kind of disappointed seeing so much censorship involving Casters true grotesqueness and Casters pathetic "plant looking monsters" overall I guess. I really hope they picked some cthulhu mythos creature and ran with it at least because that was just...

It leaves me with no expectation for the next trick up casters sleeve because it will probably look beyond cheap, lol..

Still, Rider provided a good laugh, and I guess it sets this sequence of events into full gear now.

Last edited:
nothing much to say for this episode but...
ridermuscle.jpg

Other Servants better watch out, because Rider is on hunt in a quest to get his Master to buy him pants.

Kiritsugu's behavior towards Saber makes me sick ~.~
Looking foward to the fight Saber + Lancer vs Caster

That was an extremely enjoyable episode for me.

Here were the main positives:

1) After all the build-up the Masters received in Episode 1, it was really refreshingly rewarding to at last see a Master vs. Master fight, and a very well-executed one at that. Loved the directorial skill showcased during Kiritsugu vs. Kayneath. Some specific shots had terrific theatrical touches to them (particularly how Kayneath was posed in some shots).

2) Saber and Lancer make great "cool" protagonists. Caster makes a good darkly demented delusional antagonist. Kayneath makes a splendid smug antagonist with an air of grandeur. This added a lot to the emotional intensity and emotional investment for both of the major conflicts in this episode.

3) Episode 7 added some real color and dynamism, and from characters not named Rider and Waver (although their own scene had some streaks of charming comedic color as well).

4) As I just wrote, the Rider and Waver scene was colorful. Once more I have to say that these two are simply comedy gold in almost every scene that they're in. Alexander the Great using the Shopping Channel. And ordering a shirt with a world map on it to show that he's a great conqueror. This anime has made an excellent running gag out of the cute and hilarious ways that Rider keeps adapting to 1990s Earth. I have to tip my hat to Gen. I never knew he could do comedy so well! As for Waver, I like how he showed some strength in this episode, and is starting to act a bit more like a true Master.

5) Personally, I'm glad that one of the icemen of this show is starting to overtly display some inner conflict. While that perhaps could have been built up to a little bit better, I'm honestly relieved that Kiritsugu is being humanized more, imo.

6) Yuji Kajura finally showed in this episode the same sort of superb skill that helped make the Kara no Kyokai movies so critically acclaimed. Speaking of Kara no Kyokai, this episode reminded me a lot of that. ufotable should be commended for treating this anime TV series with the same care that it treated animated theatrical releases.

And I think that sums up the elements of this episode I really liked. I only have two slight critiques.

1. It's no wonder that Gilgamesh finds Tokiomi Tohsaka so boring. Does the guy do anything other than just sit in the exact same position in that basement den of his all the time? I love how those three candles always burn so consistently to, lol. Here is the one area where it's painfully obvious that ufotable is cutting corners. It's Ok given how great the animation in most of the rest of the scenes is, but it is honestly becoming funny to me how Tohsaka keeps being the character to bear the brunt of animation cuts. No wonder his daughter is so tsundere after the treatment her dad receives.

2. Not fond of Kiritsugu totally blowing off Saber. I know he wants to keep a tight leash on her more instinctively heroic qualities, but I don't see how giving her the total silent treatment helps his cause there.

Wheter this anime had more serious after the prologue?
I've been watch episode 1, but get bored of these..

As much as I like the chemistry between Saber and Lancer, their "i r honorable knight" talks are getting a bit cheesy...I can't imagine listening to them with a straight face without someone else in the conversation >.>

Iris sounds like she'd approve of a threesome with Maiya...little more compassion wouldn't hurt, I think.

Anyways, glad that's over with. Caster hasn't exactly been the most interesting Servant to watch. I wonder what's become of Keyneth now, although he doesn't sound as broken as they made it sound like he was going to be.

Anyways, glad that's over with. Caster hasn't exactly been the most interesting Servant to watch. I wonder what's become of Keyneth now, although he doesn't sound as broken as they made it sound like he was going to be.

Well

Caster is supposed to be bat shit crazy on top of being truly morbid and disgusting.

The scene we mentioned before in the sewers really should be read since it's not a spoiler for the anime anymore and shows what happened after Caster came back from confronting Saber on the road:
In the darkness as thick as blood, only one solitary candle flicked. The dim candlelight reflected Uryū Ryūnosuke's handsome face.

Scarlet blood completely smeared these fingers too delicate for a man. In front of the man, who sat beside a long table, three rows of raw meat that reflected bright red were placed.

They were intestines. On the long table were human intestines.

Ryūnosuke stared intently at the intestines in front of him, then picked up a tuning fork with his left hand and hit it on the edge of the table. Ding. The tuning fork emitted a clear sound.

Before the clear sound of the tuning completely disappeared, he quickly poked everywhere on the intestines with his right hand.

At that time –

Ahhh...

Haaa...

A seemingly agonizing sound suddenly came out of the darkness.

Ryūnosuke listened carefully to the sound emitted, and nodded satisfactorily after he compared it with the residue echo of the tuning fork.

"Very good, so here it's ‘mi'."

As he spoke, he marked a point on the intestines with a pin. Many similar marks of musical notes have already been made on the incessantly quivering intestine.

The intestines seemed to be still alive. To be correct, it seems the owner of the intestines was still alive.

On the crucifix on top of the long table, a girl who was sobbing incessantly with pain was tied up. A horizontal cut was made on her abdomen, and the innards that were dragged out were being fondled with in Ryūnosuke's hand.

Even Bluebeard praised Ryūnosuke for his idea of making a living human into a pipe organ to play lamenting music. To make the girl picked as the material not die from massive blood loss or infections, Bluebeard placed a few healing and rejuvenation spells on her body, and specially made some adjustments to prevent the pain from numbing her brain.

Ryūnosuke had always been frustrated with the fact that the human body stops its life-like activities as soon as it encounters a slightly extreme stimulation.

But now, with the help of thaumaturgy, all these previous hurdles were solved easily. Now, Ryūnosuke can flutter his wings of perception freely, improvising at will.

"Very good, so one more time. 'Do re mi~'"

Ryūnosuke hummed as he pressed down on the intestine keyboard. But the sound of agony that accompanied his movement was very unharmonious with his own tune.

"... Hm?"

The tuner smeared with blood furrowed his brows and tilted his head, and once again pressed down on the place he just fine tuned with the tuning fork. However, the sound made by the girl tied on the crucifix was completely different from the marked noted.

Upon careful reflection, although the stimulation happens in the same place it doesn't guarantee that the moaning made would be the same. This human instrument is flawed in its basic conceptual design.

"Huh... what a failure."

Ryūnosuke sighed unhappily and scratched his head.

After the human canopy he tried hard to design yesterday, this human instrument also ended in failure. If this frustration keeps going on, even Ryūnosuke would lose confidence.

But just then, Ryūnosuke suddenly remembered what Bluebeard said to him in consolation after his failure at making the canopy yesterday.

"No matter what, the idea is the most important. Even though the final result is not as satisfactory as imagined, the act of challenging it already matters a lot by itself."

Ryūnosuke was inspired by the words of the exalted fiend. For a youth who was never understood by anyone, who created art alone, the encouragement of these words held great meaning.

Hard work is needed. Ryūnosuke once again picked up his spirits. It won't do to be afraid of failure. Failure is the mother of success; a long journey begins from the ground beneath his feet.

After all, he has to think progressively. It's too early to discard the making of this human instrument. If he can find the root of the problem, he might be able to find some solution.

And, sounds aside, the expression of pain the girl had when he fondled with the intestine taken out of her body was also extraordinarily alluring. To discard such a precious expression would more or less be a waste.

The air, full of the stench of blood, suddenly felt heavy. The density of prana floating in the air became even thicker. All this signaled the owner of this thaumaturgical workshop has returned.

"Ah, welcome back, Sir."

Appearing gradually in the candle light, Bluebeard, Servant Caster, didn't even give Ryūnosuke a glance. The emotionless face, compared with the singing and dancing expression of joy when he left, was a complete one-hundred-eighty-degree turn.

Looks like something unpleasant happened while he was out. Although Ryūnosuke was a bit worried, he still couldn't wait to report the fruits of his research to him.

"Sir, I'm very sorry. As you said, the instrument didn't work. But I– "

"–not enough."

"Aye?"

Ryūnosuke haven't figured out what the sentence suddenly uttered by Bluebeard meant. Caster left the shocked Ryūnosuke at the side, stretched out a hand from inside the black robe, and placed it on the gasping girl tied on the crucifix like the claw of an eagle.

"It's definitely not enough! This degree!"

"Ah, yeah. I figured that out too... Huh?"

Ryūnosuke's sentence stopped halfway through. Caster's spider-like fingers gradually increased in force; the girl's head was squashed to pieces in his hand as if it was a fruit.

"T-This..."

Ryūnosuke wasn't very unhappy with Bluebeard's attitude towards him. He understood that right now he was in an emotionally agitated state, and was completely ignorant of Ryūnosuke's existence.

"Oh you abominable God, even now you still bind Jeanne's soul and are unwilling to let her go! These blasphemous sacrifices are not yet enough!"

There were no light of reason in Bluebeard's eyes, who was roaring with spit flying from his mouth. Although Ryūnosuke didn't know what happened, the Jeanne he spoke of must be the armored girl they saw in the crystal ball.

Probably trauma caused by emotional problems with his ex.

Ryūnosuke began to pity him. Although they haven't spent a long time together, Ryūnosuke knew this odd-looking fiend in front of him is in fact extremely simple in his emotions.

"I must let her know that in this world the so-called God is only a hollow myth. Things like save the entire world are only boasting lies. The prayers of the silent lamb will never be passed on to Heaven!"

"Hum, yes. I understand, Sir."

Chiming along, Ryūnosuke obviously had no idea what Bluebeard's words meant, and he had no intention of trying to find it out; he thinks it's very vulgar to barge in on other people's emotional problems.

"Just blaspheming God is not enough! We must also prove to the world the powerlessness of God's authority and the hypocrisy of God's love! We need to prove God does not have the ability to carry out judgment! No matter how much evil you've committed you will not suffer God's punishment. Isn't it so, Ryūnosuke?"

"Ah, stuff like God are just boring old tricks that stupid people believe in. Sir, you're so much cooler compared to that fake God."

"Then, let us blaspheme God even more vigorously! We will pile the sacrifices of blasphemy as high as mountains, and place this scene in front of her."

Toward Bluebeard's declaration, Ryūnosuke contemplated it a little.

"Um, that means... from now on it's quantity over quality?"

"Yes, exactly! You're indeed Ryūnosuke! You understood my meaning very well."

When he saw that Ryūnosuke completely understood what he meant, Bluebeard immediately had a face full of smiles and clapped the other's shoulder. Ryūnosuke got used to his extreme change of temperament ages ago.

Only that, to the change of methods he spoke of before, Ryūnosuke has absolutely no interest in.

"Ryūnosuke, how many children are still locked in the cells?"

"... There are still eleven of them alive. Three died when I just played a little with them."

"Very good. Start with those eleven; make them sacrifices as soon as possible. When we're finished with them, we'll capture other children as replacement before tomorrow morning."

"That's... a bit of a pity."

After all, mass slaughter doesn't fit Ryūnosuke's taste. At maximum, he enjoys the art of killing, and isn't a killing machine. Such acts that did not savor the feeling of the kill, but merely piled corpses into mountains, were not much different from wars or natural disasters. It is a waste of lives. Only by slaughtering people one by one can you experience the wonders of life.

Bluebeard perceived Ryūnosuke's discontent; therefore, with his face full of angelic smiles, he spoke to Ryūnosuke like someone reasoning with a naughty child.

"Say, Ryūnosuke, this isn't the time to be stingy. Every life in this world is our property. Therefore you need to have the right kind of attitude and a heart as generous as a king. Feel free to waste. Please do remember your wealth is never going to run out. Only then, are you fit to be called my Master."

"Like a king?"

Yes. Ryūnosuke is very rich.

Ryūnosuke is not even remotely interested in things like currency. For him, the only thing with expendable value is human life. Also he, who obtained Bluebeard's help, won't be persecuted by the law no matter how he kills people. He is free to kill whenever, wherever, and using whatever method. Only that, these powers was granted to him by Bluebeard.

If one can do anything he desires and waste in whatever ways he likes with everything in this world, it's effectively the same as owning all these things. Even the Pope and the President won't be able to compare with him. Uryū Ryūnosuke is currently the richest man in the world.

"But I still think we should plan a bit on how we use it."

"Ryūnosuke, you've been poisoned too deeply by this capitalist society. Living in this era, it's inevitable for you have such thoughts. But you need to know that for nobles, waste is a virtue. Someone who possesses wealth has a duty to exhibit his wealth to the world. Only by doing that can you show the brilliance of wealth and make it more meaningful."

"Hum..."

Bluebeard's few words completely convinced Ryūnosuke. This master of death and destruction once again received new inspiration.

Anyways, like what Bluebeard said, just concentrate on getting rid of those kids tonight. Maybe he can find some new ways to play in the short time period. Ryūnosuke became more excited as he thought about this.

But even so –

Although he accepted Bluebeard's point, Ryūnosuke could not forget the figure of the girl who had been used as the human instrument.

Her face, that had been squashed by Bluebeard and which was no longer visible – was originally quite cute.

Caster's much more malevolent and far more different then he's portrayed in this anime as just annoyingly obsessive basically.

As always, being lancer and lancer's master is suffering LOL.

Much like episode 5, this one managed to provide a very satisfying conclusion to a major conflict built up and developed throughout three episodes. Seems like the show is really well planned and structured.

Being a total Kotomine mark, I ate up every single second of screen time he had in this episode. His brutal and pragmatic fighting style is a sight for sore eyes, especially when up against two female opponents in an episode shared with such chivalrous characters as Saber and Lancer. His impalement of Irisviel was particularly awesome and I think I might have let out a "holy crap" there. Still, as good as the action was, Kotomine's perplexed reactions to Irisviel and Maiya's resolve to protect Kiritsugu were still the most interesting bits and go a long way to show just how colossal an existence Kiritsugu has become in Kotomine's mind. The latter must be thirsting even more to hear the former's "answer" now, but one has to wonder if he'll like what he hears and what impact it will have on his being.

Anyway, no less brutal was the rest of the fight between Kiritsugu and Kayneth, and I actually felt kind of sorry for the latter in this episode. Not just due to the agonising suffering and humiliation he went through, but because you can really tell how Kiritsugu's truly sucking all the prestige and glory out of the fabled Holy Grail War in his eyes. To him, it's gotta be something akin to running across a button masher in a fighting videogame you've worked so hard to excel at it. It eats away at him and now he's scarred for life both physically and mentally, and Sola-Ui's general attitude towards him probably won't help matters.

Next episode: NTR!?!?!

The first minute NTR. I support Lancer, its not his fault! But then again maybe it is. His story is sad, centered around NTR love and betrayal, so Sola's reaction to him really brings a lot of bad memories of his past life. Really feel for Kayneth here, after being stripped off the very thing you hold more pridefully in your life, it must really hard when your woman willingly wants to be NTR-ed 'your wife'.

Rider's the real deal for this show. Haha! Finally realise that your master aint half the dork you thought he was? Awesome, so go make some noise! While the bag's out for Assassin(or not), Rider does make a point that he values his master a lot than anything knows, much to the irk of Waver, who thinks he is constantly making fun of him. On top of it, he's got his pants now. :D

Effectively, a set up episode for the skirmish to come. I have a feeling on where the first season of this series will end, the finale of the next skirmish will effectively set up the next chapter in April. Anycase, excellent episode as usual.

Grainne is hawt, she deserved more than some fat sweaty gross old rich guy! And according to their legend Diarmuid and Grainne had 5 children later anyway so way to work that 3rd "spear" of yours Lancer!

Anywho, I think Sola-Ui breaking Kayneth's pinky was more painful to watch than anything I've seen this week (yea even more than last week's episode). For the first time I felt sorry for him...

I hoped to see Rider in a genuine action but it was still pleasant to just watch him be funny as usual. But I wonder what goes on in Waver's mind now that he's seen the gruesome trail left by Caster. His eyes spoke a lot of emotions, I think.

Moar Berserker plox.

^ BEHOLD MY LANCE?

Another pretty solid episode. Lancer is looking more manly and awesome by the episode, and it's kind of a shame that he's gotten stuck with quite possibly one of the worst teams in the game (as always being lancer is suffering). Kayneth was a fool and got ahead of himself and now he's paying the price, but this Sola chick seems less desirable yet. Anybody that betrays their fiance or whatever that easily and would stoop to that just to get his command seals and than physically and emotionally torture him to the point where they make HIM look sympathetic is bad news and it's kind of sad that Lancer seems to be falling for her act cause she reminds him a bit of someone he loved during his own heroic saga. Too bad he got the short end of the stick in getting paired up with total scumbags for masters.

What a contrast Irisviel paints by comparison though. For somebody who is not supposed to be human she is so compassionate, understanding and patient with Kiritsgu as he continues to struggle with his humanity. His team just seems to have no chance of coming apart internally.

Then of course there was the B-Plot with Rider that shows some character growth for Waver as well. He's becoming more of a man by the episode instead of just staying the complete wuss he was at the beginning and I think somebody somewhere is going to pay the price for underestimating him and Rider.

sigh, i couldnt be bothered to watch it when we all already know the ending to saber at the end?

This anime is so sad....

50 Lolicons just came after this sinful expression.
vlcsnap-2011-12-03-14h52m07s71.png

Rin's cuteness just went up a notch after this episode tho.

What the hell happened to her?!!

She used all her meager powers to destroy a bracelet made by Caster. But the truth is that the episode exaggerated the hell out of what happened and basically turned episode 10 into some kind of moe loli fanservice..

Only good part of ep 10 was the episode preview, looking like we might see "it" for the end of this half of the series!

Last edited:
I liked the light novel part of this better. It showed how Rin was completely out of her league in the things she was facing up against. She wasn't able to save anyone precisely because she was just a child who didn't know the true terrors of the world.

It wasn't bad though since Rin is the miracle of the universe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Glaymez wrote on Shine's profile.
Will you upload this game by any chance? That would be amazing

https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01198627.html - 犯られたままじゃおわれないっ!!
Mistersmiles wrote on ramori's profile.
Hi Ramori,

Could you please upload this? https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01197309.html

The draught seems to be over, and interesting games are coming out one after another.

Thanks a ton!
In the trenches desperate to play Shiro to Kuro no Alice
awsater wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
Could you update RJ01114470 please? It's in 12 parts, but parts 7 and 9 are missing. There are no problems with the rest.
Irish99 wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
Hello can you please reupload いたずらっ娘 ~うちの娘にかぎって to katfile or mexashare if you have the time.