What Makes You Enjoy Foreign Music?

Uninstall

NO MORE HIROSHIMA
Elite Member
Apr 5, 2012
What's good everyone (●´・∀・`)ノ

Excuse my wording for the title..
..But I was wondering what makes you (in particular) enjoy music in which the vocal elements are sung in a language you don't understand? Because I know that there are a number of yall who can speak Japanese and listen to music in Japanese but then there's also those who don't speak Japanese but do listen to music in Japanese, or whatever other language. What factors make you enjoy it? How do you "rate" a piece? Under what criteria? What makes you enjoy music sung in this language more than the other?

Personally I've been listening to a lot of Hip-Hop in which the spittin is done in Russian, a language I don't know jack crap of. Though sometimes feeling the energy and vibes I just go "Daaamn that heat sounds ill" and I can just nod my head to it.

So in the end for me it's basically the musicality (the effect on how I favourably "receive" the music, sense of musical creativty, dynamics, energy, mood etc.) if I don't understand what they're saying.

If I do understand it (i.e. Japanese, English, Dutch etc.) I'll throw in cultural relevance into the "criteria", so to say. Heck, even if I don't understand it I'll consider this (●^o^●)

I'm curious for your thoughts... (ゝω・`)

Nostalgia could be one of the reasons. Used to listen to canto-pop when I was little. And every Hong Kong drama always had an opening theme and an ending too *ehehe*

Anime themes. When I felt that they were composed really well and that the voices go really well with them, I listen to them constantly, even trying to learn the vocals and lyrics.

A lot of English songs are great, but I find songs before the year 2000 to be much better than nowadays. Some are still catchy however.

First and foremost, I do not like the majority of western music. The way guys and girls sing can get on my nerves.. and on top of that, there's this spike of "dub step" music which I'm not fond of. I tried to get myself to like things, but I gave up even on my "favorite" albums after learning about anime. Japanese music seems to be more true to who they are, but americans seem to be forcing themselves to relate to a bunch of stereotyped problems. Even voice can be good, I think that voice and corrupt or distort music sometimes and make music lose its value. I listen to mainly voiceless music, but I still listen to things that sound like angelic or chant music. (tales of symphonia and ar tonelico). The majority I listen to is soundtracks, because they're focused on giving you a certain emotion, and make with that emotion. Usually, when they add words, they have to take out some music which then makes it sound weak. (instrumentals for example).

Mmm, yes. OSTs have that power to hit certain emotions really well.

Most of my music consists of Electronic music, so I cannot say much. But I do have some Japanese, Korean and Filipino songs that I listen to every now and again because I am familiar with the languages.

Most of my Japanese songs are J-Rock and Visual Kei because that is what I like the most. J-Pop is just not my style. Korean is a bit different. I listen to K-Pop a lot and I do not even know if there is K-Rock. Filipino, it being another language that I speak, is much like how a person listens to their own language.

But Dubstep and much of the other Electronic music is foreign to me because they mainly originate from Europe and I am from the Americas. But I do not see a difference, since there are no lyrics involved mostly.

First of all, i am not an expert musician so i apologize if my answer is kind of simple.

I always have had a fetish with the female voice so most of the music i hear is sing by womens, for my the music is form like this -> 60% instruments, no matter if they are synthetic or not & 40% Voice, the tone, speed, delicacy or the strong if it's the case <-.
About the aspect of how a rate a track, for my is a matter of feelings over technical aspects, i mean, i've heard songs that technically are simple but the feelings you receive for them are undescribable, for example, this song of Rocio Durcal
And what makes me enjoy a song is a mix of all the aspects i mentioned above, some examples are:

Go to my visitor's message and listen to the song. That's usually the kind of feeling I like from vocals, but sometimes others are an exception.

While I still had no injuries on my fracture wrist. I usually listen to a variety of music in different languages and their genre musics in their country. By no mean I'm limited to a particular type of culture when performing the piece. But I enjoy it based on how well they can sing well the music without too much modifications on their voice. But instrumentals music of their culture music is also something I enjoy, be it tribal, religious, dance, ritual, etc.

hm In fact im one of those who can't understand Japanese at all....but there's one song I have been liking for long time now....it's Hime Murasaki...I guess the reason would be....when I was watching Basilisk anime...of course with eng subtitle, I was flowed by the story line already and the when the ending song started. It felt like it was very touched listening the song while thinking about the story I just watched.:redface:

First of all, because it's foreign to me ears(beside English and Malay), well at least at first time. Now it's normal to me.
Plus, I like to listen to music while in from of PC, unless when I play FPS online.
When my Winamp play some English song while I'm reading something English, it(the song) tend to jumbled up with what I'm reading up to a point I can't focus or understand what I read.
When it come to foreign music, it wouldn't disturb my reading. I'll hope y'all know what I mean.

Second thing is that it's not something that I usually hear outside my room(local and English music). It's refreshing to know that I'm listening to something that not many people around me listen to and enjoying it.

Slightly off topic, most of my music collections are old songs from the late 70's down to the 10's, except for anime soundtracks.
Like my English collection, most of them are oldies, such as Glenn Miller's Orchestra. The latest ones are from the movies OST and Hans Zimmer's Modern Warfare 2's soundtrack.
My French collection consist mostly of Edith Piaf's songs.
My German collection are In Extremo, Rammstein and some the 40's era songs like Lili Marlene.
A couples of Indonesian song, Terang Bulan(Bright Moon) and Bengawan Solo.
One Spanish song, Amigos Para Siempre, meaning Friends For Life (closing theme for Olympic Game in Barcelona).
One Portuguese song, Elite Squad movie's theme song, Tropa de Elite.
My Russian's collection mostly military song, sang by the Russian Red Army Choir, and Tatu.
My Japanese's collection consist of Enka, anime soundtracks, game soundtracks, J-POP(from late 90's), Vocaloids and some 70's-80's songs.

Hmm for music i listen to the other languages despite not understanding a word because they sound nice~ the current english songs are just piles of overused themes and stuff ive gotten tired of for various reasons like people repeatedly playing it and me being able to destroy the lyrics with a simple argument within seconds... if theyre going to try and sound "deep" then actually sit down and think instead of tossing this pile of.... stuff.... at me... They all seem to be after money now anyway... For songs in other languages i can enjoy the sound of the voice and they have quite a lot of variety compared to the stuff here...

I listen to every music, no matter in which language. I prefer Techno, but I also like some other artists from the other genre.

The reason what makes this music enjoyable? To be true, I don't know. There are some factors which must match, and yeah, the lyrics are one of them, but Techno often don't have lyrics and I also listen to music with lyrics which doesn't make sense at all :)

And I don't hear "commercial DJ's" like David Guetta (I hate him!), I never understood why he is so popular and Hardstyle/(Happy) Hardcore DJ's not (which is in my opinion definitely better than for example Dubstep), but everyone likes other music :)

I like to have music playing in the background while I'm working on homework, except if I'm writing a paper or report. Listening to music sung in a foreign language on the other hand isn't as distracting. Probably since I don't know/understand the language my mind isn't focused on the lyrics.

I some understand of all the music I've been listening to except a few which is sung in a language that I can not identify at times.

Hey guys,
Don't know if this discussion is still open but I'll reply anyway.

I like listening to loads of different music, including different languages and genres (from hip-hop to classical and opera).
I like all of these for different reasons. Sometimes, the riff is really catchy, the voice(s) sound really nice or just the way the music makes me feel.

I don't necessarily understand what they mean but it's enough to touch me in the way that I think and feel. There have been times when I look at lyrics and think "Really?! That's what the song's about?". There have also been times when I don't think the lyrics work with the accompaniment but I still like the music and the lyrics still 'fit' with the song. Probably helps that I don't specifically listen out for the meaning.

'cause I only appreciate rhythm, beat and notes and don't really care for lyrics

I do not even know if there is K-Rock.
F.T. Island, TRAX, CNBLUE, just to name a few~.

OT: I just like the emotional aspect of Japanese music, both instrumental and vocal-wise. You don't even need to understand the lyrics to get the meaning sometimes. That's just how good it is.

Hmmm this may sound a bit too simple but for me I'll listen to anything that I find nice. It's just that most of it tends to be in Japanese, but yeah anything I find that sounds nice I'll like it like the Russian song Katushya I heard some time back while watching Girls Und Panzer xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

somacruz63 wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
momoka1919 wrote on Shine's profile.
Sorry, The title of "this" is different, but the correct title is"ド変態ドM&腹黒メイド服『ハイポリボディ版』+EXキャラビジュアル強化パック" This data does not contain "ハイポリボディ版". Please upload that data.
Hoppou wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
this person got some good stuff, plz upload them...https://vrsexfriend.fanbox.cc/