What brought you to like anime?

I used to be quite a watcher of those good old Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon cartoons. After good cartoons started dying out, I pretty much abandoned TV and started using the internet and playing games more. After a few years of being on the internet, I got into manga, but not so much anime. I always liked shows like One Piece, Pokemon, some Hayao Miyazaki films, but I was into manga much more than anime. Only around May of last year did I start giving a crap about anime (around the time I downloaded the Negima OVAs), and a friend that told me about the season charts months later.

After tuning into the ongoing anime of last Summer season, I got more into anime and started watching some more completed anime while keeping up with ongoing anime. Since then I've watched around 80 anime and watch around 10 anime per season on average (17 for next Spring season).

I kinda just grew up watching them. There was this mom'n'pop video rental place by my house that just mixed them in with the american cartoons. Wow, that was a long time ago... i feel old.

Well if anything i have to say Elfen lied and Grenadier brought me to anime world like i was just browsing on youtube and i watched it and thought OMGG :OOO japan anime was awesome

I would agree, but the women over in Japan are raised to be obedient towards their husbands (even if they do fight a lot/sometimes), still. A lot better than the shit we get here in the US. (oh god will I regret posting this one day, I just know my future wife will see this somehow)

Don't worry, my friend. This reply may be a month and a half late, but I will protect you from her. =P

My story's the same as Shinobu's. Started with Cartoon Network and... yeah, pored over the Internet for a while and playing LAN matches of games like SC and Yuri. It was with my search for new reading material to be read on the computer that brought me to anime, well Visual Novels first :)

First anime I watched was School Days, cause I thought the title's cool. Now that I look back, it was a bad first choice for me at the time :) Had to close my eyes to some explicit scenes (nowadays not so much lol)

I was a little girl who woke up early to watch Sailor Moon at 6:30 A.M. before going to school. It really jump-started my day. Made me feel like I could anything and I liked the positive attitude the girls had during battles or social occasions.

The drawing style was so different from American ones and I imitated it. This lead to my decision to pursue the arts as my major.

I'm very thankful for anime and especially to Sailor Moon to this very day and for the rest of my life.

Eh. I'm not really sure what got me into anime... But as far as I remember, the early stuff I watched was Dragonball Z and Doraemon. What sparked my interest most probably were these anime series:

Special-A
DN Angel
Ah, My Goddess!
Flame of Recca
Samurai X
Zoids
Gundam Wing
Fushigi Yugi
Tears to Tiara
.hack
(and others I forgot).

^ Most of them were dubbed in my language (I watched in some local channels and sometimes Animax) and I realized how crappy they were when I was watching subs already. xD

i dunno... it was pretty recently too... 4-5 yrs ago maybe.... i think i was bored, then i read naruto or something... weird how i
cant remember, but i'm glad i did cause being an otaku is good and interesting

I guess games was the first trigger to make me fan of animes, if you consider there is a lot of Cut Scenes inside games and mostly japanese games are full of CS.

However I have watched some animes during childhood I can say that Naruto and One Piece are Animes that made me definitely become an Anime fan during my teenage and triggered the curiosity about many other animes I have been watched till now.

Today even though I'm adult I don't want to stop this hobby.

Last edited:
I'm one of the fans that is old enough to say that they knew of the Japanimation before Cartoon Network (Adult Swim + Toonami). When I think of that fact, I feel proud of it to be honest. I don't consider those to be brought into the "Otaku Culture" in that way to be true fans.

first saw the anime just because it liked the animation, but lately i feels the reason is to want learn Japanese language although only little by little

Well first anime was DBZ It doesn't need a reason :3

The free-flowing animation, different style, music, stories, and feeling than American cartoons.

I was mostly watching for the aesthetics I guess~ :3

It was something to watch whenever I was finished homework back then. Now it's more of something to watch to keep myself occupied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Amgoose wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
This game recently got updated after 2 years

https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ351576.html
hc1992 wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
RJ274721 RJ312028 links are dead, please could you reupload these?
thebreaker2 wrote on Shine's profile.
RJ090136 ver 1.3
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/120127-ティー・エンタ・ぴー-ゴーストハウス・ガンスイーパー-ver-1-3.45161/

All download links are dead
Please could you reupload these using mexa.sh link?
thebreaker2 wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
RJ106740 ver 2
RJ132271 ver 2.02
RJ130405 ver 1.04
RJ127061 ver 1.06
RJ114347 ver 1.10
RJ086550 ver 1.24

All download links are dead
Please could you reupload these using mexa.sh link?