Visual Novel Cafe

This is the development of the story. From the start you see that Yuuhi have her "true self" and her "facade" and the protagonist just want that she step up and be on her true self without being afraid. Being true to herself was the premise even before her route initiate. Well, without this confrontation she will not date with the protagonist and will not develop her character. Most of time he thinks about this, but, he think about letting it be for a while until she wants or have opportunity. I don't know if you are in before confession, but, if after, you will agree with protagonist.
I've read up until she invited him to her room. I was led to believe that the premise went beyond that and for him to accept both sides of her. If it's the generic "be true to yourself" then I'm disappointed. All those scenes were for nothing.

I like when protagonists changes and develop over time when in a route and are more present in an relationship, i've already read so many VN and i'm already tired of heroines just mocking protagonists or doing something for/to him without receiving back and him just being "passive" on their actions just to see him thinking "Oh, she's so cute" and then repeat. I like to see an equal relationship with equal actions and not one-sided, and, that's what amakano 2 protagonist do everytime: maintain equaliness. That's don't make heroine shine less, on contrary, this make she shows other sides and make not only heroine but the relationship shiny more.
Some of my all-time favorite eroge has this, but in Amakano 2's case, it happens too soon. He still barely knows her but is already making plans about her.

As for the equalness in relationship, in Yuuhi's case at least, the difference between confessing to her at the first opportunity and letting her confess is like heaven and earth. Many things don't click when you do the former.

-About CG and H-Scenes
This game count with 27 CG for each heroine: 10 Event CG, 10 HCG and 7 SD for each. Every CG are high quality and beautiful, the only thing that I wanted is more CG and none SD because some of CGs are rushed in game and sometimes we have a great gap between CG! H-Scenes are really good and compared with first amakano is more long, even if the game gave us an option to don't see them some of them have a great development and are worth to see, each heroine behaves very different from another: Rei > No Talk/Small Talk, Chitose > Medium Talk and Yuuhi > Great Talk/Nonstop Talk in they respective H-Scenes.
It's been a while since I (re-)played Amakano/2nd Season (actually not that long, about a year?) but the impression I got from Amakano 2's H scenes were that they were actually shorter. At least they (with a couple exceptions) break the pattern of mandatory 2 ejaculations instead of giving a choice, a pattern that tended to make scenes feel very drawn out in the first two games.

I find myself disagreeing with the protagonist a lot in Yuuhi's route, particularly on him thinking about "fixing" Yuuhi's personality.

I've read up until she invited him to her room. I was led to believe that the premise went beyond that and for him to accept both sides of her. If it's the generic "be true to yourself" then I'm disappointed. All those scenes were for nothing.
Actually you learn quite a bit later in Yuuhi's route that both "sides" (perfect girl and dark) of her are equally fake, and I find the protagonist managing to notice that early exceptionally perceptive of him. I've seen a lot of protagonist "fixing" heroines but in Yuuhi's case it is something she wanted from the start and failed to do by herself, so I appreciated him helping her : even if it can feel a bit forceful it is not really the protagonist brainwashing her into his ideal girlfriend but more Yuuhi progressively letting lose on the chains that hold her down.

Let's begin this month's comments with 美少女万華鏡5 理と迷宮の少女. It was a rather interesting read, though not quite what I imagined it would be given the previous entries in the series. First off, and that's actually quite reassuring, it's pretty tame at least in the main route, maybe there are some in the obvious "betrayal" branches but there's actually limited violence in this one compared to the others, both sexual and otherwise. It certainly inserts as the last episode of the series, and it's best to play all the previous ones beforehand or at least have some foreknowledge of the plots of the games as they will play a pretty significant role after some time. Overall it felt quite long at times, probably longer than the previous games in the series, it took about 12 hours for me without checking out the alternate branches. The game is roughly divided into two sections that are very different (more below), and while it possible to betray Renge and get some action early for a series that always felt rather nukige-ish it does take a long time for the sex to begin. As usual with wstar the art is very good and the various animations, both in and out of H-scenes, are mostly very well done. Music is good and the CV cast, while not really my favorite, does a good job as well.

The first part is an investigation of the mysterious happening of a private girl's school near the Inn our protagonist, fantasy writer Fukami, likes to frequent to get dreams and ideas from Renge and her kaleidoscope. He is helped in this part with famous writer/detective Sumeragi that is very smart but doesn't believe in the paranormal, and his editor Tsukioka that is from the beginning head over heels for the protagonist. This part to me felt kinda drawn out a little bit, as there are multiple points where long explanations are favored and repeated rather than dealing with very obvious issues or the current crisis. I feel that things could have been solved much quicker if our protagonist was a little quicker to pick up hints, especially the state in which he wakes up and the mystery surrounding the temple. But I suppose things had to escalate completely to provide an excuse to lead to the second part.
The second part focuses almost entirely on the protagonist and Renge, their relationship and respective secrets, while heavily referencing the previous games of the series. I'm not sure I agree with the game's interpretation that each of them represented a different aspect of love, if you asked me they're more about madness (with love in the background, yes, but still) but I suppose it sort of works. This section suddenly lets lose on the sex and to be honest it sometimes feel like H-scenes are put in one after the other without much leading up to them and very little aftercare. At various points you can still betray Renge (haven't tried), but who would do that this far into the route? The major reveal of the game, about the very special fated relationship of the protagonist and Renge spreading far beyond their own lives was a bit much in scale, but the minute the game started and asked for the player's name I knew they were setting up for something meta, so it didn't come at a total surprise. In the end I'm unsure how they manage to break the curse and escape the labyrinth fate has set up for them but they do, and both souls can finally be together in happiness. The epilogue after the credits lasts quite a long time and focuses on that, with mostly more ecchi scenes with (unfortunately) a very different Renge and protagonist. I'm not sure I agree with the affirmation that the protagonist "found" her, it felt mostly like pure chance and didn't feel like he looked much, but okay.

BootUP announced new game with new concept.

Geez, what? They want more hentai scenes in NUKIGE?
I really don't understand why they decided to quit from "like to love" system and decided with "only love". And H scene at the start of the game. Now bootUP is even more nukige than you expect... but how... lol... I thought they games were nukige at fullest... omg.

I'm not interested in games with only sex scenes. And I'm surprised, they act like "yeah, we had a plot and character development in previous games, but now it's not necessary". What? Maybe, Hanitsuma is good game until H scenes, but Mamahaha (1+2) and Amaie no... Ugh, maybe, it's their decision to save their core audience?

There's 9x3 stories to play out in the PS2 Strawberry Panic so it'll take a long while yet to go through them all let alone checking out the other side (boy mode)...I'm merely through with like, five out of the 27. At least taking the long way of going for outlier pairings sets me up for skipping a large chunk of the "common route".

The story runs from April to July on a weekly format with weekends having things going on also, with events at the end of May and June as checkpoints of sorts as there'll be event with the chracter you're closest to with July starting the route in earnest, but summer break's approaching so it has to be crammed into that four weeks. While a little disappointing, surprisingly does not detract much.

It's actually very engaging with chances keeping me on my feet and the angel/demon choice system that turn some (many, actually) binary choices into fine prints keeping things fresh and with flavor (and gives you an idea what your MC would do). You pretty much need to fob everybody coming your way for some things to happen when you go for the outlier routes (It is clear from the CG mode that the cross-school pairings are more side paths with the same-school having six while the vice-versa two but they're fun to do either way) which can make you (and often the MC themselves) feel bad at times.

I like the idyllic school life of this rendition...who needs the plods that are plots and drama, anyway...all while remaining engaging. This is how you make "happenings" work, I dare say. I'm not exactly fond of the anime version, which I say a polar opposite - intricacies and drama everywhere after a certain point which turned me off...

Apparantly the reason why the MCs cannot pair with one another (and their existence mutually exclusive) is because they're supposed to be sisters (VN seems to be based on earlier short stories when that was the case)...which kinda explains why they were not given surnames, partly because they didn't have one to begin with that early on. The "boy mode" seems to be based on the fact that early reader participants is something along the line of them being the big brother to the girls giving them advice to adjust to new school...

...good stuff that keeps me going and keeps giving in any case...Will keep going...

I've only played AneImo Neo+ (partially) and maybe some bits of Hanitsuma long ago (fogotten everything), but going off amaimono's comment that bootUP! games are all very similar, it doesn't seem to be that strange of a decision. AneImo was a very unbalanced game, a strange mix with at first some decent plot and character in the prologue/common route, quite lengthy at that and without explicit ero if you excuse the various levels of lucky-sukebe, followed by a complete disappearance of any plot-related issues to focus on sex scenes exclusively for 20-30 scenes or so. From a pure nukige perspective, I suppose the first part could have felt lengthy and unneeded and so they cut it out. I would be interested to see them try the reverse and focus on like to love without the endless sex and with a coherent story from beginning to end, but that's very unlikely.

And now I'm interested in Strawberry Panic, gonna have to hunt that one down and try to dig up an old PS2 emulator.

It's been a while since I (re-)played Amakano/2nd Season (actually not that long, about a year?) but the impression I got from Amakano 2's H scenes were that they were actually shorter. At least they (with a couple exceptions) break the pattern of mandatory 2 ejaculations instead of giving a choice, a pattern that tended to make scenes feel very drawn out in the first two games.
Really? I've played Amakano right up after Amakano 2 and it feels that Amakano 2 is long it's not that much longer but it's noticiable, and they don't seem to change the pattern from the first game at least not in Rei and Sayuki Route since the two have similar scenes just changing the order a bit.

Actually you learn quite a bit later in Yuuhi's route that both "sides" (perfect girl and dark) of her are equally fake, and I find the protagonist managing to notice that early exceptionally perceptive of him. I've seen a lot of protagonist "fixing" heroines but in Yuuhi's case it is something she wanted from the start and failed to do by herself, so I appreciated him helping her : even if it can feel a bit forceful it is not really the protagonist brainwashing her into his ideal girlfriend but more Yuuhi progressively letting lose on the chains that hold her down.

Yeah that exactly what i'm trying to say without spoilers, but saying a bit more:
In her route you perceive that she has 3 side and this is strongly confirmed by two H-scenes. And you perceive that she have some more problems and that is shown when she tries to force herself on protagonist to just not be abandonned by him. She's insecure and that's why she is absurdly jealous(but jealous is common on every heroine in this game) and then the protagonist try to show her first that he will not abandon her trying to make her more secure from herself. Protagonist thinks about how he can help her about being on her "true side" but let it be for a while because he have much time(all route) and he have some problems to take before that. In summary, Yuuhi have her "true"behavior and this is showed only for the protagonist and the two of them is trying to get rid of anxiety and insecurance first so she can "lose her chains" and not be afraid of losing someone.
Let's remember that this game is about a love-love couple with peaceful steps. Simple problems comes with simple solutions! So, no need to analyze profoundly, like I said "Take your time and this will resolve right up(or sometime later)".

Geez, what? They want more hentai scenes in NUKIGE?
I really don't understand why they decided to quit from "like to love" system and decided with "only love". And H scene at the start of the game. Now bootUP is even more nukige than you expect... but how... lol... I thought they games were nukige at fullest... omg.

I'm not interested in games with only sex scenes. And I'm surprised, they act like "yeah, we had a plot and character development in previous games, but now it's not necessary". What? Maybe, Hanitsuma is good game until H scenes, but Mamahaha (1+2) and Amaie no... Ugh, maybe, it's their decision to save their core audience?
Haven't read the article, but if it means they're doing away with those tiresome fan services in the pre-lovers part, then I suppose it's fine.

At what cost, though? If it means taking away much of Yuuhi's personality and forcing her to be a meek kitten then it's pretty poor.

It may be because we get to read more about the protagonist's thoughts in Amakano 2 that I find him self-righteous. The previous Amakano protagonists just did the right thing without the reader having to learn about his thought process and so on.

At what cost, though? If it means taking away much of Yuuhi's personality and forcing her to be a meek kitten then it's pretty poor.
This is exatcly what Yuuhi is trying to avoid, people imposing a personality which she don't have/like. She wanted to be herself in front of everyone without being afraid of others thought and reaction about she not being a kind(from obligation just like they talk about in the start of the game), gentle(same) and polished(sleeping and skipping class?) girl. There's no need to start doing her events to see she's denying herself, this happen everytime when she is the focus on common route and mostly showed in her own perspective. So no, He/She/Nobody is forcing her cuz she is doing exacly what she wants when only in front of the protagonist and he let she be what she wants, thats why we have her with hair down and ponytail. She is not a rude girl with claws on others neck or a gentle adorable perfect girl. This is showed everytime in her own thoughts, protagonist comments and every actions with her hair down.
It may be because we get to read more about the protagonist's thoughts in Amakano 2 that I find him self-righteous. The previous Amakano protagonists just did the right thing without the reader having to learn about his thought process and so on.
No, the previous protagonist was more intrusible and sometimes did this based of self-experience, other times just with the same motivations from this game. About the thought process the game are the same, the only thing that changes the protagonists are their personality and shyness about some actions.

Amakano 2 shows up others perspectives just like the first one did and they don't feel less or more in quantity or quality.

Last edited:
This is exatcly what Yuuhi is trying to avoid, people imposing a personality which she don't have/like. She wanted to be herself in front of everyone without being afraid of others thought and reaction about she not being a kind(from obligation just like they talk about in the start of the game), gentle(same) and polished(sleeping and skipping class?) girl. There's no need to start doing her events to see she's denying herself, this happen everytime when she is the focus on common route and mostly showed in her own perspective. So no, He/She/Nobody is forcing her cuz she is doing exacly what she wants when only in front of the protagonist and he let she be what she wants, thats why we have her with hair down and ponytail. She is not a rude girl with claws on others neck or a gentle adorable perfect girl. This is showed everytime in her own thoughts, protagonist comments and every actions with her hair down.
I suppose this is where you and I differ. Those claws and flaws are what make Yuuhi different and appealing. As it happened, they were so quickly trimmed down and we're left with yet another gentle adorable perfect Amakano girl.

I guess I'm getting tired of these types, or maybe of the series itself.

No, the previous protagonist was more intrusible and sometimes did this based of self-experience, other times just with the same motivations from this game. About the thought process the game are the same, the only thing that changes the protagonists are their personality and shyness about some actions.
Eh, how do I put it...

• Amakano 1 : *this doesn't seem right* > did something nice = what a nice guy!
  • Amakano 2 : *this doesn't seem right* > did something nice > *wait, it's still not right* > *thinking thinking* = I don't read this to learn about your thoughts, you manipulative jerk!
Guess that's unfair, but I can't help it.

Amakano 2 shows up others perspectives just like the first one did and they don't feel less or more in quantity or quality.
Dunno, it feels like Amakano 2 has many more alternative povs. A lot of them are so short they're pretty much pointless. These ultra brief povs work in comics, but not in a visual novel. Especially not when you have to put each and every one between two flash screens.

Last edited:
I suppose this is where you and I differ. Those claws and flaws are what make Yuuhi different and appealing. As it happened, they were so quickly trimmed down and we're left with yet another gentle adorable perfect Amakano girl.
It's not like she is being "refined" to another type, since revelation of her other side i wasn't expecting that she'll keep continuosly saying"Do not speak my name in vain, I hate you" or something rude or even calling protagonist "あんた"(if default name) when she is dating with him. She was just a girl that can't be what she was thinking/planning because of her problems. She was raised like an ojou-sama but she is not like that and she's not a delinquent or salty girl to behaves like this. And i'm saying this from someone that favorite types of heroines is with this claws.

Well, the route and Yuuhi have much things to show you if you think this... Just be sure to enjoy your dose of diabetes.

(It would be fun if she calls the protagonist "あんた" if you choose other name for him. Don't know, I only play with default name.)
I guess I'm getting tired of these types, or maybe of the series itself.
True, I'm tired of this types aswell, generally I don't go for "main" heroine route in VN cuz they almost ever are this type. At first I thought Yuuhi was this type until the revelation and her route. In summary, Yuuhi is exactly like you described before revelation and route. After that Yuuhi for me don't make close to this.

Eh, how do I put it...

• Amakano 1 : *this doesn't seem right* > did something nice = what a nice guy!
  • Amakano 2 : *this doesn't seem right* > did something nice > *wait, it's still not right* > *thinking thinking* = I don't read this to learn about your thoughts, you manipulative jerk!
Guess that's unfair, but I can't help it.
I've finished first amakano after amakano 2 so what i've said is a fresh experience of someone that finished the game no more than 5 days ago: No, the protagonist of Amakano 1 overthinks a lot too and generally comes with a loop in his thought, not different about amakano 2 but like I said in my review Amakano 1 has more troubled/conturbed pace while Amakano 2 has more peaceful pace so you become more aware about his thought than the first amakano.
I can't say about Amakano Second Season cuz not played it yet that's why i don't talk about this one.
...And no, he's not manipulative, all that he does is to restabillish the relation to an equal so the heroine don't keep nagging him without a comeback making him looks like a rag doll like most protagonists when faces a provocating/dominant heroine. The rest he let heroine decides what she wants and you can see this when he says "I like both" sides instead of choosing one.

(Who is perfectionist guy that you described?)
Dunno, it feels like Amakano 2 has many more alternative povs. A lot of them are so short they're pretty much pointless. These ultra brief povs work in comics, but not in a visual novel. Especially not when you have to put each and every one between two flash screens.
This is more about tastes! I like when i can exactly see what heroine is thinking so i like this brief povs, so this is about what do you prefer or not...

Last edited:
It's not like she is being "refined" to another type, since revelation of her other side i wasn't expecting that she'll keep continuosly saying"Do not speak my name in vain, I hate you" or something rude or even calling protagonist "あんた"(if default name) when she is dating with him. She was just a girl that can't be what she was thinking/planning because of her problems. She was raised like an ojou-sama but she is not like that and she's not a delinquent or salty girl to behaves like this. And i'm saying this from someone that favorite types of heroines is with this claws.
No, but I expected her to at least retain some thorniness or dominance, more or less at the level shown during the confession scene (especially if you let her confess).

...And no, he's not manipulative, all that he does is to restabillish the relation to an equal so the heroine don't keep nagging him without a comeback making him looks like a rag doll like most protagonists when faces a provocating/dominant heroine. The rest he let heroine decides what she wants and you can see this when he says "I like both" sides instead of choosing one.
At this point in my reading (the first h-scene), she's pretty much at his mercy and he's dictating things with this air of self-assuredness. It's like watching Professor Layton in a pure love eroge. Well, I'm exaggerating, but still...

Well, the route and Yuuhi have much things to show you if you think this... Just be sure to enjoy your dose of diabetes.
Thanks. Guess I'll ignore the guy and just enjoy the scenes.

(It would be fun if she calls the protagonist "あんた" if you choose other name for him. Don't know, I only play with default name.)
Oh yeah. Hearing the heroine call out the protagonist by any name (even Works-kun) is nicer than the generic "you" or a silence.

I've finished first amakano after amakano 2 so what i've said is a fresh experience of someone that finished the game no more than 5 days ago: No, the protagonist of Amakano 1 overthinks a lot too and generally comes with a loop in his thought, not different about amakano 2 but like I said in my review Amakano 1 has more troubled/conturbed pace while Amakano 2 has more peaceful pace so you become more aware about his thought than the first amakano.
I believe you to be right. My impression of the first protagonist was that he was much simpler and thus more agreeable. It's one of those cases where less is actually more.

(Who is perfectionist guy that you described?)
What's this about again?

No, but I expected her to at least retain some thorniness or dominance, more or less at the level shown during the confession scene (especially if you let her confess).
Really? In her confession scene she was just like a awkward girl confessing to guy and did not see more dominance than other heroine or thorniness in her confession. About protagonist confessing to her, I was WTF what out of character they are in this one. She was acting like "So yeah, you like me... You keep me waiting" with no reaction and is just strange to see protagonist acting like that after you made two routes before her and have been watching every confession. Besides, protagonist confession scene don't make any sense with what happens soon after that and even before so... Let's just forget about this one, this was really an awful experience for them.
At this point in my reading (the first h-scene), she's pretty much at his mercy and he's dictating things with this air of self-assuredness. It's like watching Professor Layton in a pure love eroge. Well, I'm exaggerating, but still...
Just like any eroge, does not matter what type of heroine, she can be the epitome of dominance but still can act shy and be lead by the protagonist when it comes to sex.
Thanks. Guess I'll ignore the guy and just enjoy the scenes.
Don't be so mean, after this game is possible you'll unfortunately drop on a vn with a Rag doll guy so why not enjoy the best at the best?
Oh yeah. Hearing the heroine call out the protagonist by any name (even Works-kun) is nicer than the generic "you" or a silence.
Well, the "あんた" was how she keep calling him when pretending hate him, so I thought if she call him like this you can be feel like she is "rude" Yuuhi with sweet side cuz this was her trait at that time.
What's this about again?
"Amakano 2 : *this doesn't seem right* > did something nice > *wait, it's still not right* > *thinking thinking* = I don't read this to learn about your thoughts, you manipulative jerk!"
This was fun, looks like a perfectionist artist.

Last edited:
So, second mini-review random comments of the month with 月の彼方で逢いましょう SweetSummerRainbow. It's tonework's, but it's also 'just a" fandisk, of 月の彼方で逢いましょう that is a game I mostly enjoyed but focusing on only one heroine whose route wasn't my favorite and with which I had quite a few issues, mostly in the second act. My opinion after going through this fandisk is actually the opposite, and most of my problems with it are centered on the first part this time, while the second was more enjoyable even though it doesn't escape the same trappings Rain's route suffered from in the first place.

Quite oddly enough, this fandisk chose to elaborate not only on what happens after the end of the game, but decided to also insert some events in between the end of the original game's school part and the beginning of the adult one. This part started out quite enjoyable, in pure fandisk fashion with a lovey-dovey couple enjoying some finally peaceful time together. Unfortunately, this sweet atmosphere doesn't actually last that long, as the game shifts from focusing on their relationship to... a movie shooting project in America during summer time. I found most of this movie creation process and explanation to be extremely boring and completely unrelated to what I wanted to read. In the background of this movie creation, there are some amount of character growth, mostly from Rain who starts doubting herself, wondering if she's really worthy of being Kanata's girlfriend as she is, while Kanata is too busy trying to find his calling (and we know from the original he'll end up failing so...) to notice it. Not the most happy mood, which is topped by many flashbacks of Rain's past in the USA (such happy memories, or not) and a return of the phone gimmick, something that already overstayed its welcome in the original game already. At the very least, this part serves to explain some of Rain's very significant behavior changes between the two parts in the original, even though the final scene kinda takes that away too.

The second part is more relaxed, focusing on the life of Kanata, Rain and their daughter Tsukiko as a family. We got a peek of Tsukiko at the end of the original game and it's nice to see more of her, but I'll admit it took some time for me to get used to her CV. The main attraction is the large amount of heartwarming family events, which made for a much more enjoyable read than the previous movie shooting. In typical toneworks' style the protagonist had to have his own moment to shine and show how cool and talented he is, which can't really be said for Rain who mostly plays the good wife/mother despite having a very high responsibility IT job. Kanata's project takes up a significant portion of the route and isn't the most fascinating to follow, and the constant praise he gets from everyone around him grows tiresome after a while. In the midst of all this, we also have yet again a brief return of the phone gimmick, allowing Rain to finally make amends with her parents. While nice, I would have preferred if the magic smartphone wasn't involved yet again, and this issue is something that was already mostly resolved at the end of Rain's route in the original.
Overall, the story is okay but despite taking its sweet time doesn't really add much to what was already said in the main game. There are some nice family CG to look forward to but I'll admit I was mostly disappointed with the H-scenes, most of these are pretty short one-CG sequences and involve situations that tend to be pretty maniac and not as sweet as I would have hoped (light SM, spanking, anal...).

Last edited:
Reactions: amaimono
Really? In her confession scene she was just like a awkward girl confessing to guy and did not see more dominance than other heroine or thorniness in her confession.
I took it as an angry confession and the guy pretty much just listen as she throws the kitchen sink at him. I love it.

Just like any eroge, does not matter what type of heroine, she can be the epitome of dominance but still can act shy and be lead by the protagonist when it comes to sex.
From what I've seen so far, they have the same dynamics during the normal scenes. The guy's having fun teasing her left and right, pushing his ego, and dictating when and how things should be done. It gets better later, presumably.

Don't be so mean, after this game is possible you'll unfortunately drop on a vn with a Rag doll guy so why not enjoy the best at the best?
Sorry, I'm very harsh in general, but even harsher when it comes to the titles I care about. I've come from being put off by the common route to really enjoying the dynamics between Chitose, Rei, and the protagonist. The key was to be patient and follow the slower pace of the story. As you mentioned before, you begin to notice more things when the pace is slower. The protagonist's actions and ideals happened to be something I don't agree with. Not his fault, though it detracts from the immersion.

Well, the "あんた" was how she keep calling him when pretending hate him, so I thought if she call him like this you can be feel like she is "rude" Yuuhi with sweet side cuz this was her trait at that time.
Yeah, sure wish she's actually like that because they could then be off to their own world. She could still be sweet without being gentle.

"Amakano 2 : *this doesn't seem right* > did something nice > *wait, it's still not right* > *thinking thinking* = I don't read this to learn about your thoughts, you manipulative jerk!"
This was fun, looks like a perfectionist artist.
Ah, yeah. It was his comment when he saw her interacting with others, thinking something along the lines of "her personality still needs some work here". It felt really patronizing. Let her be her, dude.

@kzel: I felt little incentive to read SSR since it's not my preferred heroine but...
Did she get her parents back or not?

From what I've seen so far, they have the same dynamics during the normal scenes.
Err, some scenes can be very one-sided but is balanced later in story...
The guy's having fun teasing her left and right, pushing his ego, and dictating when and how things should be done. It gets better later, presumably.
I didn't see him teasing her or pushing something on her without she doing the same. Besides, I'm very aware and i'm really harsh when it comes to provocation/teasing from both sides, specially when is from heroine. Even dropped routes in VNs because of protagonist that just be embarassed and stutter when trying to say something everytime. I'm fond of Serious and Sharp heroines, which sometimes comes with a teasing personality, but only when protagonist make up on own feet to make a comeback creating a really nice chemistry.

Let her be her, dude.
I've seen he doing this after confession, but the problem is that her insecurity just keep attacking her making protagonist very aware looking like he is very worried for nothing, but, no...this in fact is a problem. This aside, he let her be her.

Last edited:
@kzel: I felt little incentive to read SSR since it's not my preferred heroine but...
Did she get her parents back or not?
She doesn't, not in a literal sense anyway. There are no more timeline manipulations in this one, although Rain is shortly tempted to try and make everything and everyone happy, before realizing that such happiness would feel empty and fake. She does however, through some treasure hunting sequences the phone starts when at specific locations, get to learn more about her family's feelings (mostly her dad but her mom also) and especially how happy they were to have her and how they cherished their time with her, despite knowing the eventual outcome.

It seems the season for new game announcements has arrived, at least from companies/creators I used to care about.

First off, we have ASa Project, with their next project 恋愛×ロワイアル. This game will focus on, much like the previous game from the studio, a group of girls ready to use any means necessary to make the protagonist fall in love with them. It's Youka Nanoka again alone in the writing chair so we can expect a ton of unfunny jokes, a completely unlikable donkan protagonist undeserving of the girl's attention, and a large serving of love triangles or more to complete the awful mix. Sounds great!

Next up is Whirlpool, which continues its trend of low-priced games started with 猫忍えくすはーと. This time, it's about decadent life with dragon princesses in 竜姫ぐーたらいふ. Oumiya Yuu is in charge of the scenario as has been the case for anything Whirlpool lately, and pieces while flawed had some redeeming value (let's not talk about the recent fandisk that is only worth it for the ecchi scenes). Maybe if the scale is toned back his stories can finally make some sense and avoid the obvious contradictions/deus ex machinaes.

And finally, we have hibiki-works with another project apart from the upcoming resurrection of the xCation series: 水蓮と紫苑. Much like some of the best games in hibiki-works history, Iizuki Tasuku is in charge of the art but also much like hibiki-works most awful and bland story/characters Taira Norimitsu is in charge of the scenario, assisted with a nukige writer no less. We can probably expect another useless cowardly indecisive protagonist and heroines only here to provide him with all the sex he could ever want without a shred of desire, ambition or personality outside of that. At least the HCG might be good but the awfulness of everything else in 如月真綾の誘惑 prevented me from enjoying even that. Here's hoping they can prove me wrong but my hopes are slim.

Apart from that, I have been readings VNs here and there but nothing really worthy of a detailed writeup. The best that comes to mind is ダイヤミック・デイズ, and old Lump of Sugar game that managed to maintain my interest enough to finish it entirely, something extremely rare these days. It does feature on of the best childhood friend relationship progression I've read in a long time (Kisa), so there's that, but also some very questionable plot point and characters.

I've also recently dipped into 裸足少女's brand of nukiges and while the ecchi scenes are good and varied (if you can excuse their strange fascination for chinkasu), their useless donkan shota protagonists are extremely annoying and really put me off. 新妻こよみ is probably the safest in that regard but I still wouldn't call the protagonist likeable by any means.

How does everyone keep track of new releases? I used to use Micchi's blog to check for monthly update but now it's dead.

Now I am just watching Getchu site. So sad that Michi site is dead.

I use Getchu's monthly release list and vndb's upcoming releases pages mostly. I also check the news via the galgame news section of 2dgal.

RIP Omochikaeri

I haven't touched Petrichor as it seemed to be love triangle/cheating themes and that's not really my thing.

As far as recent releases are concerned I only played Summer Pockets REFLECTION BLUE and a bit of ねこツク、さくら/Yayoi. I've also played a bunch of single routes from older titles, I may write some comments later about them.

Summer Pockets REFLECTION BLUE is pretty good for people who played the original one year ago and want more of the same, but shares the same flaws as the original as well (disjointed routes from different writers, some inconsistencies, a bit too reliant on magical elements and standard nakige formulae, too similar to previous Key entries). As an entry point in the game this new version probably isn't the best as Umi's route will lack impact, and the game is overall more diluted with more characters that don't really have a relation to the true route, which makes the meta progression less smooth and remarkable and more abrupt. The four routes from the original game are mostly untouched, a new CG here and there maybe but nothing warranting a full re-read (I still reread Ao's route and I enjoyed it the most, even compared to the new content). The game's ending is very slightly changed for the better (happier ending) and there are more day-to-day events to enjoy and more achievements to hunt for but that's not really my thing.

ねこツク、さくら is typical Lump of Sugar : a pretty good setup with charming characters, an enjoyable romantic progression in the first half of the heroine route, but alas a complete meltdown of the game in its final steps as the paranormal elements take center stage and generate some (for me) unwanted bits of drama and questionable character decisions. This isn't the first time LoS ruins its game with such late story development, which do make them stand out from standard moeges but in my opinion detracts from the overall experience by leaving a rather unpleasant aftertaste.

I think I'm done with Amakano 2 today. It's practically two titles in one because of the disconnect between the friends' part and the lovers' part. My score is about 7/10 for the friends' part and 3.5/10 for the lovers' part.
Many, if not all of the faults can be attributed to poor directing:
  • misjudgment of the talents at hand (the writer is a talented one, but writing three full-fledged stories and connecting them up in one title isn't his specialty; also, it broke my heart when Rei changed her voice during the lovers' part)

• poor management of resources (I think it's self-indulgent to feature past characters as cameos where their contribution to the story is minuscule; black letterboxes, white letterboxes, blurred backgrounds, characters finishing their lines with their mouths open... no sign of efficient nor coherent visual direction here)

• the decision to have a slower pace, making any faults more noticeable (this is implied in the previous points, but is big enough to be mentioned alone)
Here's to a better half of the year!

Thanks for your opinions, guys.

Also, can you explain me, please, Aneimo Neo series from bootUp. What the Aneimo Neo+? Expanded version of original game? Not fan-disc? What the differences then?

I also heard about usual Aneimo series, but it has ton of fan-discs and sequels?

Aneimo
Aneimo 2
Aneimo 2 Hs
Aneimo 2 Imo Imo FD
Aneimo 2 Ane Ane FD

Omg...

DISCLAIMER: I haven't read any of the Aneimo series. My history with bootUp! only stretches back to Hani Tsuma. Everything I write below is pretty much as vndb tells it. To be perfectly sure, I suggest browsing the CGs in sad panda.

Aneimo Neo: a rehash of the original Aneimo with different heroines (think of Shuffle episode 2, but Aneimo Neo features 4 heroines instead of just 2 like in the original)

Aneimo 2: the sequel

Aneimo 2 Hs, Imo Imo, Ane Ane: Aneimo 2 fan discs

So yes, it has two sequels and a ton of FDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Panda_409 wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
sorry,https://www.anime-sharing.com/members/nihonjaki90.129971/ link is dead,can you reupload it?thank u!
a3526370 wrote on Shine's profile.
https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01031777.html
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/230414-色仕掛け工房-淫魔てんぷてーしょん-ver23-08-21-rj01031777.1302627/
please upload version 2.0.0 thanks!
AUO wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi is there Can you reupload this?
Sirvipe235 wrote on Shine's profile.
https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01042053.html

Could you please upload this game?I have spent months searching for it, but no luck at all.