Storing Anime?

SAS + SAS Expander: 500$
CPU + Mainboard + 16GB RAM: 500$
Case: 300$
120GB SSD: 100$
2TB HDD: 70$

each case house 24 HDDs and 4 SSDs, so total for the SSD is 1000$ and HDD is 5000$

total system worth: 7000$

FUCKING CHEAP!!!!

It's really complex system. I'm jealous. :dthumbup:
Do you let it on datacenter? I prefer this system can be access 24/7. Man, it uses much energy and radiates much heat and cause much noise...
Btw i just have new goal because of your system, sempai :D.

I don't like the idea of any sort of "paywall" (pay for premium access), it's sort of against our core value. So, nope.

Wow, you have my resprect.

And here i thought i am on of the big guys with my new 16 TB server. What i'd like know now, how do you organize and keep track of all that data? I mean, to avoid downloading stuff multiple times, search efficent and so on?

search efficent
TBH, that's my problem, I've not yet solved, none of my indexer are capable of indexing UTF-8 directory name.

how do you organize and keep track of all that data
Thus I rely on well organization. I have a shitload of duplication on 'staging' folder but once it got adds to the catalogue, then it's going to be fine.

For searching problem, I'm thinking of building a web application with database sit that craw like google bot and make me index.

I forgot to mention but now storage are even cheaper, you can actually build a capable storage system for much less than 7000$ now.

Last edited:
Perhaps a free ftp can be setup for the most trustworthy members of AS

I wouldn't trust any members with ftp access tbh, it is open to easy abuse and can put a lot of strain on networks.

of course if AS has ftp, user can upload content to it must be trusted, not everyone can put content on it. Btw I don't like the idea using a ftp server. Because:
- if public that server, it will be reported soon and will be taken down.
- if not... why we have to create a ftp server while our download section is good enough?
I'm not talking about how hard to setup, running, maintain that server... it's not an easy work at all.

If you don't mind, I'll stop following the discussion here, but let me repeat this again:

AS is not-for-profit Project. We never try to make a profit off AS. AS is a community project, as such, it is designed to be as opened as possible.

With that said, words like "paywalls", "VIP access" and "Premier Member" is not a part of the project. I've said it before but I'm saying it again: We treat every visitors as a VIP, and we try our best to maintain the service as good as possible, within our capability and limited budget, it's our core value when we design AS.

Additionally, the AS Network is not just this AS forum, AS hosts various sites on its infrastructure such as Yande.re, The Anime-Sharing lossless to name a few. All of the sites are fully opened without the need of "premium access" which, again, reflects our core value.

AS use 300TB of bandwidth every month, and that didn't even account for various thing we bought per month, ranging from eroge, dakimakura, artbooks, music cds, and much more. All of which were ripped, scanned, released to visitors and members alike -again- without requiring anyone to pay for "premium access" (choice of XDCC, torrents or cyberlocker site).

Finally, while AS are non-profit, AS doesn't ask for donation (like some other 9001 sites). It is grossly against our moral to demand a monthly donation from the members.

I hope this answers all the questions you might have regarding AS.

Reactions: moemoe-kyun
I have 2TB HDD, 1 500Gb external HDD, and one 100GB SSD.
I'll buy another 1TB HDD this year for some purposes...The only thing clogging my HDD is the amount of PSD backups I do plus redundant Anime and Manga. I don't have the free time to organize stuff, plus I'm lazy.
I kind of regret buying Buffalo branded external harddrives, they break so easily. I prefer seagate.
:56022:

Reactions: moemoe-kyun
HDD that I'm setting up for anime preservation are 8TB. Capacity does not suffice, and my money is also insufficient.
Is there a magic wand that can increase HDD when shaking it?
:56033:

HDD that I'm setting up for anime preservation are 8TB. Capacity does not suffice, and my money is also insufficient.
Is there a magic wand that can increase HDD when shaking it?
:56033:

:56049:
Stack the HDD's in pairs, watch them make babies = PROFIT

SAS + SAS Expander: 500$
CPU + Mainboard + 16GB RAM: 500$
Case: 300$
120GB SSD: 100$
2TB HDD: 70$

each case house 24 HDDs and 4 SSDs, so total for the SSD is 1000$ and HDD is 5000$

total system worth: 7000$

FUCKING CHEAP!!!!

How great it would be to have money to spend on whatever like that..

well i have some large HDD's (3&4TB) the for tb is in partitions of 2TB each for manga & anime/movies
then i have some external ones wich are used for taking data with me from pc-laptop.

and i already have a 500gb in anime and more than 500gb in manga

Hmm it's all on my 1tb SSD. But I got ext backup.

I've been pondering more about why we store anime at all really. Unless your a big time AMW maker or something. It's not like I'm ever going to watch it again, and I think that applies to most yeah ~?

So my question that arises, and I've been tempting to make a thread about this even, is: Why do we maniacally hoard and preserve our anime in the first place ?

Harddrive manufacturers reading this, yeah, you should support the anime community~!

Hmm it's all on my 1tb SSD. But I got ext backup.

I've been pondering more about why we store anime at all really. Unless your a big time AMW maker or something. It's not like I'm ever going to watch it again, and I think that applies to most yeah ~?

So my question that arises, and I've been tempting to make a thread about this even, is: Why do we maniacally hoard and preserve our anime in the first place ?

Harddrive manufacturers reading this, yeah, you should support the anime community~!

I actually wonder this sometimes myself. One reason is because I can, and it isn't like storing anime costs me much of anything. Disk space is so cheap. Even getting full HD anime releases it doesn't eat through terabytes that quickly.

Another reason is I actually do poke in on the old ones sometimes. Something might pop in my head and I quickly want to go check. It's right there on my HDD. Convenient!

And some of them I most certainly do want to watch again eventually... the problem is there is always so much new stuff to watch! XD

All in all it boils down to "why the hell not". :P

ehe~yeh. Why not. Guess so, I do it mainly because of some kind of nostalgia or something similar that I don't quite have the words for. Maybe a it's a badge of honor~

Usually if there is something I want to just peek at, youtube is usually good enough. I was thinking about just that, you "others" watch so much new anime, way more than me, and it continues to be new stuff coming out. So even if a show has some limited rewatching value, other things will just always make it seem like less of a priority anyway.

Ideally I should just have all Anime bought and payed for on dvd/BD in a shelf, instead of occupying my HDD for no practical reason other than being collectibles. On the other hand I like the fact that they don't collect dust that way or take much physical space :p Still would prefer a nice physical collection neatly displayed.

Edit: mention for convenience> [MENTION=37707]FinalPyre[/MENTION];

ehe~yeh. Why not. Guess so, I do it mainly because of some kind of nostalgia or something similar that I don't quite have the words for. Maybe a it's a badge of honor~

Usually if there is something I want to just peek at, youtube is usually good enough. I was thinking about just that, you "others" watch so much new anime, way more than me, and it continues to be new stuff coming out. So even if a show has some limited rewatching value, other things will just always make it seem like less of a priority anyway.

Ideally I should just have all Anime bought and payed for on dvd/BD in a shelf, instead of occupying my HDD for no practical reason other than being collectibles. On the other hand I like the fact that they don't collect dust that way or take much physical space :p Still would prefer a nice physical collection neatly displayed.

I own a few of the ones I really like and that they actual sell here. Also since I'm downloading it onto disk anyways, there isn't a huge need to remove it until I need the space. Also I've only watched maybe 12 episodes of anime since... March or something. So yeah there is a lot of new stuff to watch whenever I feel like it again. :)

i store mine since if a series get banned/copyrighted so it cannot be online anymore, i can still watch it

yes we store anime/manga/eroge most for convenient ( no need to search again or wait to download ) or to avoid lost sources... That's why i keep increase HDD capacity ( ̄Д ̄).

'Cause you know there will be that moment 10 years later when suddenly that one show pops in your head, and no matter how hard you search for it online nobody is hosting it anymore, driving you to madness.
Me? I've got it on a hard drive. :8

'Cause you know there will be that moment 10 years later when suddenly that one show pops in your head, and no matter how hard you search for it online nobody is hosting it anymore, driving you to madness.
Me? I've got it on a hard drive. :8

yeah or all download links are dead (this happens here 1 year later after uploading in the download section)

Funny I never ever thought of that happening...

But I've downloaded plenty of older shows, back from the 90's and stuff as well...what happened to the old adage that, what is uploaded on the Internet stays on the Internet...forever!

btw, has copyright ever mattered ?

Funny I never ever thought of that happening...

But I've downloaded plenty of older shows, back from the 90's and stuff as well...what happened to the old adage that, what is uploaded on the Internet stays on the Internet...forever!

btw, has copyright ever mattered ?

no, i can even use my TV-card in my pc to record shows/movies.
or my browser, wich can download almost any video/flash/html5 file online (yes even web-code)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Hapsunn wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
heyy can you please update [210811][ナッツが主食] JKボクサー凛香と復讐の地下リング Ver1.1 [RJ325990], there is a newer version of the game, it gives the game an english translation, thank you
Sirvipe235 wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
mizuno ai wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
Could you please reupload RJ273092 and RJ321841 ?
Hapsunn wrote on HentaiCovid's profile.
heyy can you upload JKボクサー凛香と復讐の地下リング and there is an update to the game. https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ325990.html/?locale=en_US, please upload the Apr/28/2022 version
Hapsunn wrote on Shine's profile.
can you please update this game https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/210811-ナッツが主食-jkボクサー凛香と復讐の地下リング-ver1-1-rj325990.1103469/ , there is an update according to the dlsite https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ325990.html/?locale=en_US