[Voting] SOTM #34 - Octomber / November 2015

Choose the best entry for the SOTM #34

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have 3 Users with the same votes, so how can we have a winner in this point?
Also the poll is closed i should close also the thread but before of that we must point the winner.

Reactions: Evdokia
[MENTION=44312]Dark Angel[/MENTION]; Since there're 3 participants who recieved the same amount of vote,then choosing the winner will be decided by the Admins? If so,why're you closing the thread even though there's no winner announced yet?Just curious. :)

[MENTION=44312]Dark Angel[/MENTION]; Since there're 3 participants who recieved the same amount of vote,then choosing the winner will be decided by the Admins? If so,why're you closing the thread even though there's no winner announced yet?Just curious. :)

I will let the admins to decide the winner

So the Thread is Officially Locked!

WINNAR.png

sotmsectionheader5.png

We've got THREE WINNERS!
Votes had an indecisive end in SOTM #34 with the theme dark and scary.

sotm34-01-darkangel.png

Our first wining entry comes from Dark Angel, a veteran and hoarder of victories. Before I start blabbering on this, I'll confess: I'm a big sucker for Victorianesque aesthetics (at least as far as architectural designs and fashion styles are concerned). A Goth loli-type character, a stained glass background, butterflies, and a dance of black and purple―they all make a perfect combination that Dark Angel was able to liven up well. While it fits the dark theme, there's probably nothing inherently "scary" about it, though in fiction such characters are rarely normal human beings anyway. They're either vampires, demons, or witches with unimaginable prowess.

The eyes though. The eyes. I'd say they're pretty well done in the sense that they have the kind of colour/texture combination that makes them look deeper the longer you look at them. (Not exactly "depth" as the term is often used in the context of graphics design, but eh, whatever.) All in all, a great combination of stock picture used and presentation from the entrant himself.

sotm34-02-kk.jpg

Next up, we have an entry from |♚| KK |♚|. This one also features a Gothic lolita (Suigintou?), albeit with a background and overall atmosphere that throws away whatever glint of innocence she might have had out of the window. I'm not sure if I just have a messed-up mind, but I think I see, umm, the kind of things you study in biology on one of the tables and near the wall behind. (Which is all well and good, anyway. I'm not opposed to such things at all. Why do you think I even introduced this kind of theme?)

In drawing expressions, it's a common practice to shade the area around someone's eyes and below their forehead to make them either look depressed (usually in a non-serious, comical way) or look like they're scheming something (usually serious). It emphasises the evil vibe emanated from the eyes, so to speak. This is no exception―but the absolute best part of the stock image is the way Suigintou (or whoever it is) posits her hands. It makes her appear to be saying, "Senpai, I have a lot of cool toys I've prepared just for you. Would you like to give them a try?"

Now, I don't know how much in this image comes from the stock and how much is a result of editing on KK's part, but the dark aura that falls over the room is captivating. To be honest, the text may feel a bit out of place with its positioning and bright red colour―did you know blood is darker than that, especially if coagulated as would be the case with text written using blood? But I digress―although otherwise the rest of the image has a nice focal point.

sotm34-04-unownhgss.png

Last but not least, unownHGSS's entry completes this round's triplet of winners. His features a combination of a usually-cute Touhou character depicted in an exceedingly sinister fashion, decorated by glowing red crystals. (I don't know what they are supposed to be, but they remind me of Prismere crystals...) Combined with glowing bloodshot eyes, bloody demonic bat wings, and the overall dark atmosphere, it makes for perfect conformity with theme. Not to mention that, if you look carefully, you'll notice that the background looks like some kind of magical forest (which probably goes well with Touhou), only with a sinister violet aura falling over it.

What differentiates this from the other two is that this has no pretence of innocence and grace, but is flat-out dark and demonic. It's actually a nice touch among a sea of cute 2D girls doing cute things that are pretty much the de facto theme of the site. Unown's entry lacks the lighting and emphasis on focus the other two winning entries have, but by having luminescent effects deployed on the crystals instead of the character's face or around it (which is usually the case), they serve to emphasise the dark visage of the character.

As final bosses of old RPGs people often say: there is no light without darkness.

Congratulations to all the winners!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

thebreaker2 wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
RJ106740 ver 2
RJ132271 ver 2.02
RJ130405 ver 1.04
RJ127061 ver 1.06
RJ114347 ver 1.10
RJ086550 ver 1.24

All download links are dead
Please could you reupload these using mexa.sh link?
trenx wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi, any chance of getting this game?

妻の面影残る娘に、疼く欲情 ~俺のモノで教えてやる!~ アパタイト https://www.dlsite.com/pro/work/=/product_id/VJ01002091.html

Thanks for your time
pin13 wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hello, do you think you can upload this please?

https://www.dlsite.com/girls/work/=/product_id/RJ01110786.html
Ghiaccio wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
Hello.
Is it possible to reupload the RJ336575?
Rann wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi, please upload love n life lucky teacher V 2.0.0 :(

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2445340/Love_n_Life_Lucky_Teacher/