Is The 'Dead Or Alive' Series Still Worth Playing?

• Yes

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters
Kasumi and Ayane is my best Tag team, Kasumi is my best character over all :3 I got DoA because of her so I decided I wanted to main her :P

Welcome to the club king seiba

I have been a kas user since do3 xd

That's a long time ago.

Doa4 was fun had a blast playing with kas and murking people <3

Doesn't matter how much you suck at first

Never give up hope and keep practicing.

I use Kasumi and Jann Lee mostly. They've changed commands somewhat since the past games. I liked his voice in DOA3 and 4 better though.

I don't suppose anyone scanned that DOA5 artbook? I have it myself (since I have the DOA5 Collection) but no idea in how to scan things like that. Maybe it'll show up somewhere in the future.

Looks like I missed some of the DOA talk. Curse you internet. Curse you...

I have the DOA collector's edition also. Pretty nice. :3

:3 Indeed, I guess there is a lot of Kasumi fans out there, but I think the story seems a bit rushed, who actually won DoA5?

If you're talking about in the story its:

Jann Lee, but he ran away to a bar before he could be crowned champion. So technically, there isn't one. =]

yup lot of new fans join the bandwagon every new game XD

well apparently this time kas isn't spammer character, Helena took that title XD

basically you can't spam with kas and win against player who knows what he's doing..

pfft you sure ayane or christie arent the true spammers? anyone know of any good hitomi openers? i seem to lose most openings, my friend mains mostly kasumi with some christie and ayane. 1p 66ppp 6p+k 1p+k some 8/9p combos variations as well, are only combos that seem to work but i mostly end up blocking.... also whats good emergency move vs kasumi? most of my kicks go over her and 1p too slow.

not a tomi player but I know 10 hit combo

>P+K(CS) - -->PPP - DF,DF(3)+P(Launcher) - PP<--PPP

alpha help video :)

Last edited:
that always gets countered for me after 6p+k. have to mix up with random kick combo.

6p+k is forward punch its highly counterable

the only safe time to use that is ether at the start of the match or in when the opponent is stunned or in the air.

/me shakes kacta's hands and eyes meet with a sparkle.

[MENTION=10115]kactaplb[/MENTION]. Guess you're in luck since I main Hitomi. The openers I use with her are 9P, 9K, 4P>5P, 6K, 4K>5P, 4H+K, 6H+K, 6P+K, 2P+K. :goodtea:

Reactions: kactaplb
somehow I find Kasumi quite easy to spam, it might just be me though. Having said that, since when can you ever spam a character against someone who knows what they are doing?

its hard but I have done it before XD

LOLOLOL

but that gut was average

back in doa4 the first time I got the game.

kas actually has more technique, if you can use her properly you pressure your opponent really well with speed and decent damage.

For those who didn't know.. Free DLC for DOA5 now!
11 new costumes for 11 characters! :3

[MENTION=10115]kactaplb[/MENTION]
[MENTION=27362]AhGwee[/MENTION]
[MENTION=26]KingArturia[/MENTION]
[MENTION=28026]Selvaria Bless[/MENTION]

kasumi op. tnx gwee i would have never thought to use those openers lol. what about her regular combos? mostly use some 9p k 3p+k stumbles into some 66ppp 4kppppp 3k+h

Okay, this will be some sort of guide that will explain the mechanics and what needs to be known about Dead or Alive:

In Dead or Alive 5, every character has access to a Critical Burst (CB) and a Power Blow(PB). Respectively, they are both somewhat useless or hard to hit if used by themselves or out of a combo.

A Power Blow is an unblockable and can only be used if a character's health is in the red zone, which is when the character is at half health. Each character has access to a different command in order to use a PB. I recommend checking the command list to see the Power Blow and Critical Burst for whichever character you wish to learn. A Power Blow has to be charged and can be recognised by the whirlwind/force created by the character when the buttons are held. It should be noted that if timed correctly, a PB is easily dodged by side stepping and gives your opponent a free attack or combo if they press an attack during a side step, since this will cause your character to stagger. If the attack hit, it will perform an animation and then deal tons of damage afterwards. Once used, a Power Blow can not be used again in that same round, but it will be reusable the next, and so on. If the Power Blow misses it's target however, you can still use the Power Blow again until you hit the target, but you'll be unable to land a PB onto a skilled/veteran player if used rawly. Therefore, you will have to start a new combo in order to be given a chance to land a PB again. Power Blows are a great way to end a combo because they are not affected by damage scaling.

A Critical Burst is required in order to link a Power Blow in a combo. Check the command list for the respective character you're learning in order to see what the inputs are. There aren't any significances that separate a CB from any other move in a character's arsenal, well, that is until it's used properly. Like some moves, a Critical Burst will always cause a 'Critical Stun' if landed, but it's use doesn't lie there. Critical Bursts are used solely for extending a combo. It is also 'in fact' the only way to link into a Power Blow in a combo, and no other moves can do that.

There are a few ways of starting a combo: Using an attack that always forces a Critical Stun (or CS for short) in the move hits (which varies between characters), landing a Hi-Counter on an opponent, landing a mid to high hit on a crouching foe (which causes a critical stun), or hitting an opponents back (which also causes Critical Stun). In order to land a Hi-counter, one must take note of the triangle system where Strikes>Throws>Hold>Strikes. If you land a Strike when your opponent attempts to throw you, you will land a Hi-counter, which automatically puts your opponent into a 'Critical Stun' state. (Think of this as a 'Fatal Counter' for those of you who play BlazBlue). Once your opponent is in a CS state, you are free to follow up with whatever move you like. I will talk derail from this and talk a bit about frames.

Each move has a set number of frames. To check the number of frames for a move, go to Training Mode>Fight Screen Info>Move Details>and set to Left/Right depending which side you are training from. Now that this is on, keep note of the 'Frame' section at the bottom of the screen which look like 'Frame: 0/0'. Whatever button you press, the number on the left side will show, or increase. This reveals how much frames it takes for the move to appear or how long it takes for a move to hit. For example, if you press Grab(G), the number left number will show 5. This means nothing happens from frame 1-4, and the grab will connect on the 5th frame. Every character has access to this same grab. Because of this, it is known as a 'Universal Grab', meaning a move everyone has with the same command and frames. The less start-up frames a move as, the faster it is.

Continuing on, if you hit an opponent with a move (either if it lands or if it's blocked), the right number will either increase(+said number), decrease(-said number), or stay the same(+0). This number indicates the amount of frame advantage you have. Frame advantage is a given in every fighting game, and determines what can be followed up in a combo, and how fast a character recovers after they are hit. If a number shows -(said number) after a move has finished, it means that the opponent recovers faster than you do and has a chance to land a move before you do. If the number indicates a + after a move finishes, it means that you'll recover before your opponent and are able to land a move before they do. If after you use a move and the number on the right just shows +0 afterwards, neither you nor the opponent gain the upper hand after your attack finishes. With this, whoever uses a move that has less start-up will go first.

To connect one move after the other after the attack has finished, the start-up frames must be less than the frame advantage given after an attack. Hitomi's 9K for example, if it hits the opponent the right number shown under 'Frame' will show +35 frames. So you have 35 frames to do whatever you want without your opponent being unable to do anything. In order to continue from this and make a combo, you will need to pick a move from a character's pool that has less active frames and connect with that move. As for the reason why I used her 9K as an example is because it is a move that automatically starts a 'Critical Stun', and every Critical Stun gives you positive frame advantage. Moves that formerly did not have any frame advantage will now have some when used in the same combo. Using this rule, you can connect a large string of attacks. It's all trial and error. There is also something else I should note: With the exception of a few attacks, using the same move twice in a row within a combo will knock your opponent down and will end your combo there.

If you've read up on the 'Frames' section, it will help with explaining Critical Bursts more easily. During a combo string starting off with either a 'Hi-counter' or a move with 'Critical Stun' , you will notice that after some time during the combo string, the combo indicator that indicates 'Critical Stun' will turn red. After this happens you can only follow up with a few moves before the opponent is knocked down again. This is where 'Critical Burst' comes in handy. If you use a 'Critical Burst' during the combo string while the 'Critical Stun' is displayed in Red (and hits), the text will change and instead display 'Critical Burst'. When this happens, your opponent is stunned for more than a second. Because of this, you can follow up with 'any' move, and I mean any, which will allow for even longer combos. But any move you use after will automatically knock the opponent down no matter what, except for moves that can ground bounce an opponent, can juggle an opponent in the air, or is a Power Blow. Generally speaking all power blows take more than a second to fully charge, but to show the animation, you just need to charge the move long enough for the whirlwind/force to circle around the character, which is usually 3/4 of the actual time. As you can only use Power Blows if you have half health or less, it is best to find ways to end a combo without needing for a PB most of the time. I will mention once again that Power Blows are not affected by damage scaling, making them a deadly force. The timing of when to use one should be dependant on the situation. If your health is below half, and you see that your oppnent has 4-6/10th of their health left, it is possible for you to finish them off with a combo ending in a Power Blow, assuming that you haven't used it already.

Despite this game having a great combo system, I must also add that during a combo, it is still possible for your opponent to use 'Holds' during a combo. If you guess right, you can keep the combo going. If you guess wrong, it puts the game in the opponent favour. If you know or can predict that your opponent is going for a Hold, you can stop your combos and instead follow up with a Grab. If you grab when your opponent does a Hold, it will deal much more damage as it follow the Triangle system, and land a Hi-Counter, which is free damage. If you are able to continue the combo up to the point where you successfully land a Critical Burst, it is impossible for your opponent to use holds from this point, also giving you free damage.

Well, that concludes what needs to be known about DOA5 unless someone wishes to know more, and I'd be happy to oblidge and help in whatever way I can.

For now, I'll just tag the few that I know play this game: [MENTION=10115]kactaplb[/MENTION], [MENTION=26]KingArturia[/MENTION], [MENTION=28026]Selvaria Bles[/MENTION], [MENTION=10646]unownHGSS[/MENTION]

Thank you guys for taking the time to read this.

BLAGH! Disconnected for almost 2 hours...

I'll go into detail the combos Hitomi can combo into in a bit. If not, then tomorrow since I don't know when my internet will disconnect me again. =[

Thanks gwee

Give me some time and I will get into combo details with kas, Koko.

Maybe even alpha

Bleh, got disconnected again. TToTT

List of combos coming up...tomorrow I guess, since I'll d/c again soon.

[MENTION=10646]unownHGSS[/MENTION] What's this DLC? o.O? Switsuit or?

WHAT?! Preposterous~! D:

I've already got the swimsuit DLC... T~T

That when you buy the collector edition to get those DLC..... Standard get crap....

The Collector's Edition came with the swimsuits so I'd just find it pointless. The EU are always late with things, and we always get a bunch of crap from the PSN store. >.>

Oh wait...I see Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. Never mind, we get something good once in a blue moon. TvT

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

ballball1110 wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
Hi this link were dead,could you please reupload these?
[210108][m3t(みみもと)] 性処理関係のつもりだったが恋人になった!?【青春純愛妄想系】 [RJ311645]
ballball1110 wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, can you please reupload this asmr?
[210108][m3t(みみもと)] 性処理関係のつもりだったが恋人になった!?【青春純愛妄想系】 [RJ311645]
Koskas wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hello, Could I please you update this game Yokai Art: Night Parade of One Hundred Demons to the new version v2.3.3?
prmx wrote on FlowerTradeWinds's profile.
can u reup RJ068000 pls
hc1992 wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
RJ404334 RJ01078356 links were dead, please could you reupload these?