External Hard Drive Help

Hmm I have that hard drive, and I remember its software being horrible before I got rid of most of it. Maybe try getting rid of your current drivers for it and installing some windows drivers or something? Have you tested to make sure it isn't the USB port that is having the problem?

It seems to work a little better on my other USB port so that could possibly be it. I'll try installing the windows drivers also and see if that helps. Thanks.

The external hd tends to be this buggy, be careful because the plug/unplug could lead to a drive error

You shouldn't get a drive error unless it is currently writing something (reading might just give corrupt copied files afaik). In general it is pretty safe to just put them in and take them out when you want.

If some usbs work better than others, or if this is the only device you have issues with on those ports, then it could be some faulty wiring in the drive itself. You might also want to check if it is popping up in device manager (sometimes it might show up there, and not in windows). If that happens I find that disabling and enabling it again often works.

my opinion is that it has to do with power output of the usb it's not the driver, try some spray for cleaning contacts (not oilbaised) to clean the usb plug :)

Reactions: T-ELOS
my opinion is that it has to do with power output of the usb it's not the driver, try some spray for cleaning contacts (not oilbaised) to clean the usb plug :)

Oh right I forgot this was a laptop. That very well could be the case that it isn't getting enough power.

Thanks for your suggestion! I will try that and see if it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Anchobee wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, thanks for the upload of RJ01150742, seems like you locked the rar for mp3 so can I have the pw for it?
At West Metro Dental, our goal is to provide you with dental care services to keep your teeth and gums healthy and attractive.

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s,
when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.
unownHGSS wrote on Infamous's profile.
/me tackles .... Old habits die hard :3
unownHGSS wrote on nanashi1's profile.
Oi 7shi, not sure when you see this but hope you're doing well! The nostaliga is real haha