What genre(s) of anime do you prefer?

Perplexing

Elite Member
Elite Member
Jul 26, 2011
Simple question. Just want to see what everyone likes. Could be interesting to know as I might like a genre that someone else doesn't like or hasn't really checked it much, which could then lead to some good recommendations for us. Hell I'd say of the 400+ shows I've seen I would say 50 or so were recommended to me.

I personally enjoy the following genres,

Drama/School Life (I mainly only enjoy dramas that involve School Life)
Ecchi (I tend to enjoy the humorous nature of these shows over the pointless nudity some display)
Horror
Romance
Slice of Life
Slapstick
Shoujo Ai

If I think about it, I think I like almost all the genre.
But my 1st choice would be action, such as Macross, Mospeada, Zipang, Space Battleship Yamato and many more.
Then followed by school life/slice of life, just to old time sake - my school days.
Then the rest come next.

Ecchi + School Romance

that involved in: Imouto, Loli, miko, osananajimi, nekomimi, tsundere, deredere, etc...

Basically, I like all provided that:
  • There must be romance, between the heroines and the male (harem is a bonus)
  • The setting should be in anyway, involved somewhat in school (school uniform, school swimsuit etc...)
  • The protagonist / main character must be male
  • The majority heroines, and the main heroines must not older than the protagonist / main character
  • The majority of the heroines, and the main heroines must not older than 18 (18 and younger only)

Bonus:
Based on an eroge is a big big bonus
Has splendid art (eroge like art) is also a big big bonus (Omamori Himari, Infinite Stratos, and partially, The world god only knows)
Has good voice acting (mostly)
Has a proper ending (not troll, not half assed, preferably, ending like an eroge)
Ecchi factor - pantsu shot, ecchi accidents, even sex - they are all bonus
Has heavy romance factor with imouto, loli, miko.

Minus:
Oversized boobs (having no bewbs is fine, but if it gets more than a D, it's going to be a minus)
Troll ending (ending that leave a lot of question)
No romance factor (rating will be rampaged)

Rating Factor:
Art/Animation 0 --- 5
Plot/Story 0 --- 5
Voice Acting/Music 0 --- 5
Main Score 0 --- 5: determined by the lowest of the three, for example, if an anime failed standing in art/animation, yet manage to have a nice plot + voice acting, it will still received a failed standing. Failed standing is 2 lower (under 50%)
+ Bonus (+ 1 for one of those bonus)
- Minus (-1 for one those minus)
= FINAL SCORE
6/5 - Beyond Epic: Very unique and shine on its own
5/5 - Impeccable: Might have minor flaws but will not obtrusive the nice series
4/5 - Excellent: There are flaws, but they are still quite enjoyable
3/5 - Just Ok: There are several way to improve, but generally, still be ok for a try
2/5 - Bad: Avoid it, unless you have nothing else to do FAILED STANDING
1/5 - Horrible: Just don't even bother with it FAILED STANDING
0/5 - Speechless: For anything that does not even deserve a rating FAILED STANDING

Needless to say, my taste is influenced by the eroge ;) hence... oh well, I'm a weirdo anyway.

Nice system you have there Checkmate. Eerily enough I base a lot of ecchi off the same grading scale for the most part. With ecchi though I prefer pantsu shots over excessive breast exposure which is annoying to me, although there are a couple exceptions but that is mainly do to the combination of art, story/plot, and voices.

I mean hell there are just certain voice actors I love and will watch even a show I dread just because they are in it. :)

Plot is always key for me. I mean anyone can throw together an ecchi anime but not every one can make a story line that keeps me interested. Seems like any more the ones that severely lack in a story try to make up for it with an excessive amount of breasts exposure.

ecchi though I prefer pantsu shots over excessive breast exposure which is annoying to me
Anything excessive is deducted directly to the main rating scheme to me. Though, so far I didn't watch anything that has excessive breast exposure, may be my scale is more forgiving for the ecchi factor. But what the heck, I watch/play anything as long as they are good, no exception. I've made a grave mistake that Hentai Game is bad, and anime is for kids years and years ago. It's laughable now that I collect countless TBs, built strong PC, many of it, and manage multiple server for all of these.

Plot is always key for me. I mean anyone can throw together an ecchi anime but not every one can make a story line that keeps me interested

Eroge have a better rating, due to the fact that... well, it has lots of plot in the eroge itself :p although I tend not to mix up those two. Hence that is why eroge-based anime, by default, have a bonus in my rating.

Anything that keeps me entertained - either by having a nice story or blowing things up. What can I say? I'm easy. :P

I usually avoid slice of life and and romance anime, because most of them are just the same thing rehashed over and over again. Of course, there are exceptions to this, and I watch at least three minutes of every anime that comes out (without OP, of course).

I watch at least three minutes of every anime that comes out (without OP, of course).

Including bishounen/yaoi and shoujo too?

@meyrinkay

You're a hell girl, so it's kinda natural for you to watch ... shows like that

But for us the boy (well, especially me, a pure and innocent boy), watching something as bold as that is... really... out of the question

Another brave soul that watch No. 6

Heroes of AS: Kou, Terumi, corocoro

I guess I'll go back to find some Princess's juice then

I would watch it, if Ignis ever finished the subtitle comparisons. :P

Ecchi, Action, Romance, Comedy, Slice of Life, School Life, Harem, Gender Bender, Loli, Mature, Shoujo Ai, Fantasy, Yuri.

I guess, I pretty much like it all, as a base I appreciate ALL Anime, even if it out of what I "Like The Most" it is probably due to the work, Artistic, and Story Line, that makes it all so attractive. I find more "Relation of Life" to Anime's 90% of the time over ANY movie, or TV show I have seen. When things touch home, or hit the heart, that is where the real story is.

Reactions: Perplexing
I don't have any favourite genre, but i would say that i like ecchi, harem and romance + hentai and mecha.

-Action
-Adventure
-Bishounen
-Comedy
-Demons
-Drama
-Ecchi
-Fantasy
-Harem
-Love-Romance
-Magic
-Martial Arts
-Mecha
-Mystery
-Parody
-Samurai
-School
-Sci-Fi
-Seinen
-Shoujo
-Shounen
-Shounen Ai
-Slice of Life
-Space
-Sports
-Super Power
-Supernatural
-Vampire

And there depends by the category that an anime has it. I guess .. :)

Reactions: Perplexing
I personally like psychological stuff. It's interesting and deep. Saying that, I keep on pausing and think about the flow of the story.
Comedy makes me laugh, why not? But no ecchi for me. Hentai, yes, but no ecchi. : D

I respect and agree with Checkmate rating system when it pertains to eroge/ecchi. As to what my favorite anime genre, I determine that on what my mood is at the time of choosing to watch an anime. Sometimes I feel like watching eroge, sometime ecchi, sometime mecha, sometimes historical, and so on and so forth. As of late, I've been on a kind of horror binge and most of my anime watching has been of the dark nature. I've diluted my dark cravings with a little bit of ecchi, slice of life, comedy to lighten my mood so I'm not to engrossed in the dark side. The only genre I don't care for is yaoi. Also any anime that go excessive on the fan service like Seikon no Qwaser and High School of the Dead(I watched HOTD because I'm a big zombie fan.) Seriously, is it needed to suck on boobs every 5 seconds?

Recently I've become interested in school, slice of life geners. But not all of them. Most of them are suitable for 17+

i like;
ecchi (im a healthy man)
fantasy
harem (always more fun)
guns
school
comedy

sci-fi, not a big fan because of the mechas (idk y i hav a grudge against em)

honestly i like romance too, its more dramatic than drama o.o

and basically if its drawn well and the chicks r hot im fine with it

Scifi (Macross, Mospeada & Taisho Daimos)
Actions (Bleach & Fairy Tales)
Comedy (Azumanga Daioh & Mashimaro Ichigo)
Slice of life (like Usagi Drop & Sketch Book)
History (Zipang & Konpeki no Kantai(OK, this is more like alternative history)
School Life (Azumanga Daioh & Angel Beats!)
Love (Fruits Basket & Honey and Clover)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Khroad Law Professional Corporation is a multi-service law firm located in Brampton. We provide legal services in Family Law, Real Estate Law, Immigration Law, Corporate Law, Wills & Estate, and Civil Litigation.
Nagomikaze wrote on Shine's profile.
Hey, do you have a working Textractor hook for this release? I can only hook the base game. Thanks in advance!
feschrfrvdh wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi. I need your help once again. would you upload ここから夏のイノセンス!OST?
nobis_c wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi, do you have the update for this? It got major bug fixes.
クロア×スクランブル to v24.04.24 / v1.092
tintin0821 wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
Hi, Nihonjaki90-san.
Could you reupload this game? Thanks in advance.