Dubbed vs Undubbed?

Dubbed or Undubbed?

• Total voters
Undubbed, otherwise the experience becomes a little weird to me. Personally, I've only had a single exception so far to that, though I guess exclusively seeking more subbed ones does preclude greater exposure to possible good dubs.

Sub Over Dub. Always. Not gonna watch it if it's dubbed.
As a plus, you learn japanese (and english since its not my native language) too! =D

Undubbed!

Most of the dubbed anime I know are poor in quality and sounds horrible.. Their voices just doesn't match the character and ruined the whole thing. The only plus from dubbed anime is we can fully enjoy the display instead of busy reading subtitles. But as a matter of fact, too bad, the majority of dubbed anime are such unbearable pain to watch.

Subbed is enough for something to watchable,dubbed make everything kinda messed up,and lost it's purity dor being a show~

Subbed... Dubbed can be good at points, but the most performances these days are lackluster and just kill the experience.

definitely undubbed
anime is weird with dubbing over it.. there's like a sense of weirdness/awkwardness in the air

I swing both ways depending on my mood... I used to go only dubbed and then started to run out of English dubbed anime so I started to watch lots of subbed. I really enjoy the art of anime and trying to read the subtitles fast enough to enjoy the picture gets tiresome for me. I admit....the dubbing is horrible on lots of series but many aren't too bad. There have been plenty of times though I switched from dubbed to subbed because the English translation for the dub wasn't making any sense. Sometimes it's like two different stories when you watch it first one way and then the other....

Undubbed , anime will lose its originality if they dubbed it , well raw or unsubbed is better than dubbed :thumbup:

Well some anime I like dubbed Pokemon for example in my language is well done. I got used to these dub voices now.

But subs are beter most of the time. With dub the voices usually don't match.

Ya I prefer it undubbed

Most of the english dubs are done with horrible voice acting and it takes a lot away from the anime

I cannot watch an anime or anything for that matter if it is dubbed in another language than it was originally created. Subbed is perfectly fine, there are some subs that can also be a bit distracting or misplaced, but overall the experience is easily 100x more enjoyable than listening to the non emotional rambling in another language. Even when they attempt the emotion, the mouth just does not match and it looks ridiculous. :-/

I feel like the foreign dialects have more of the attitude for the role vs a person reading of a script. Sure the script reader might know exactly what the storyline is about. But its something about reading the sub and hearing a high pitch Anime girl sounds better than an American trying to do the same. Anyone else agree? haha

I feel that the dubbed versions are too forced??? The JPN seiyuus really do become the characters :) although there is one exception to my rule... POKEMON HAS TO BE DUBBED, especially when they're not calling each other 'Ash' or 'May' etc. O_o (when I watch it :P I guess it's a childhood thing? xD)

~ * Raellu * ~

I prefer subbed rather than dubbed. The dubbers just don't really fit at all no matter how you put it.
Ruins the atmosphere of watching animes and it just really ticks me off.

I would personally like to see American dubbed version of Powerpuff Girls Z, because PPGZ in its original Japanese glory sounded extremely wrong.

I think it really depends on where the show was originally created. An American show with Japanese dub could be worse than you could ever imagine, you know?

there r some anime i would rather watched dubbed over subbed, but its a very short list. i mostly watched subbed
there r 2 anime where i feel pulls ahead dubbed, rurouni kenshin and hellsing. now i definitely like the kenshin OVA subbed because kenshin's seiyuu is better with him being younger, but in the TV series i prefer it dubbed because it matches his age with him being a little older and having a more masculine voice. arucard's english VA was absolutely made for him, probably the most impressive dub ive ever seen and i think its worth watching dubbed far mroe than subbed.
not a dub basher at all, i know a lot of people have their preferences and dubs certainly have their place in the world, but this is just how i prefer it.
but also, the one thing i absolutely cant stand is when some1 adamantly refuses to watch a great anime just because they r exclusive dub viewers. there r some anime out there that just absolutely will not get dubbed and those people r just not willing to put forth the effort to watch it, it feels like a complete waste of quality material and it just completely irks me to hear something like this

Last edited:
I do prefer more undubbed. Original language is the best to hear. But there are some anime's that dubbed sounded better than undubbed. But it is like 5% from 100%.

The only 2 animes that I prefer dubbed are lucky star and haruhi because they actually picked the right voices for the characters. Undubbed FTW!!!

This old argument? Seen and fought all over the net by anime fans everywhere. Well I've had plenty of time to consider it, so I'll bite.

Personally I have come to the conclusion that Undubbed is an acquired taste for most people. If you've only ever watched tv and films in your own language and rarely hear other languages in real life outside of school, then listening to other people speak a completely different language when you're trying to understand what is going on just sounds like meaningless noise and trying to read subtitles and watch what's happening on screen at the same time is troublesome and irritating. I used to really hate it when I first watched foreign films and the like.

I started watching anime properly back in the 90s (not counting the stuff like robotech they converted into cartoons for kids), and had to buy them on vhs. No dual audio for us, and sure as hell no brand new anime streamed online within 24 hours of showing in japan. You kids don't know you're born! :samuraihero:

So yeah, it cost a bloody fortune and can clearly remember my first encounter with an undubbed anime when I bought one of the few copies they released alongside the english dub for the sake of giving people the option. And due to the cost and low popularity of anime back then meaning that they didn't have any dubbed copies left for me to trade it for, I just had to make do.

To do this day I can clearly remember how cheated I felt. It was a good one that I'd been waiting ages for, and it was half ruined for me because I had to put up with listening to weird oriental voices and squinting to read subtitles. I really felt that way at the time. It really was good though and anime good anime was hard to come by, so I ended up watching it again and again. A few years later a sequel to that anime came out and that time I made damned sure to get the English one and was expecting a big improvement. Imagine my surprise when I was left with a puzzling feeling that something just wasn't right. And it's not like the dub was bad. As far as dub goes, it was actually quite decent. I just couldn't understand why I felt that the characters sounded much more interesting with the japanese voices.

A few years after that I finally began getting anime on dvd and discovered that all the new stuff came with the choice between english and japanese. At first I stuck with the dub out of habit, but after noticing the option and having too much free time back then, I decided to watch them both ways and compare the two, and slowly realised I was generally liking the undubbed better. Soon after that I actually began listening to the undubbed half because I liked it, and half out of some sense that it made me better than those who didn't. Got into the whole sense of elitism for a while before I grew out of it. And since broadband became the norm and I discovered free and easy anime online, I not only watch undubbed as a preference, but strongly dislike dubbed. To the point that I've actually put off watching some anime I otherwise would have, simply because I couldn't find anything but the dub online, as sometimes happens with older series.

These days I've had a chance to think it other objectively, and don't feel the need to look down on people who prefer dubbed. Because I remember feeling the same way when I first started out. I think the reason undubbed is so popular now is just because an anime fan who wants to watch the brand new stuff that's showing currently, simply has to watch the undubbed because the dubbed won't be out for some time. And as a result of this they get used to listening to japanese and discover that a character can be defined as much by the voice, tone and feeling in their words, as much as what is being said. And unfortunately it's hard for english voice actors working for the western publishers who have had nothing to do with the making of the anime, nor likely had any interaction with the creators themselves, to do the same thing the seiyuus do. Especially when voice acting is a much bigger industry over there, with a much larger pool of talent to pick from. It's just hard to compete. To get that, having to endure the inconvenience of subtitles is a small price to pay. In fact, I've been urging myself to learn japanese for years now to bypass that little problem, though haven't managed to get round to it so far. Someday I guess. :dispirited:

Sorry for the rather long winded explanation, but I wanted people to know exactly where I'm coming to on this.
If all that is too much trouble to read though, all I'm saying is that I personally love undubbed to the point of not wanting to watch anything that's been dubbed, but I respect anyone who feels differently, and believe that they might very well changed their minds with enough exposure to the former. And that's everything. :sigh:

This old argument? Seen and fought all over the net by anime fans everywhere. Well I've had plenty of time to consider it, so I'll bite.

Personally I have come to the conclusion that Undubbed is an acquired taste for most people. If you've only ever watched tv and films in your own language and rarely hear other languages in real life outside of school, then listening to other people speak a completely different language when you're trying to understand what is going on just sounds like meaningless noise and trying to read subtitles and watch what's happening on screen at the same time is troublesome and irritating. I used to really hate it when I first watched foreign films and the like.

I started watching anime properly back in the 90s (not counting the stuff like robotech they converted into cartoons for kids), and had to buy them on vhs. No dual audio for us, and sure as hell no brand new anime streamed online within 24 hours of showing in japan. You kids don't know you're born! :samuraihero:

So yeah, it cost a bloody fortune and can clearly remember my first encounter with an undubbed anime when I bought one of the few copies they released alongside the english dub for the sake of giving people the option. And due to the cost and low popularity of anime back then meaning that they didn't have any dubbed copies left for me to trade it for, I just had to make do.

To do this day I can clearly remember how cheated I felt. It was a good one that I'd been waiting ages for, and it was half ruined for me because I had to put up with listening to weird oriental voices and squinting to read subtitles. I really felt that way at the time. It really was good though and anime good anime was hard to come by, so I ended up watching it again and again. A few years later a sequel to that anime came out and that time I made damned sure to get the English one and was expecting a big improvement. Imagine my surprise when I was left with a puzzling feeling that something just wasn't right. And it's not like the dub was bad. As far as dub goes, it was actually quite decent. I just couldn't understand why I felt that the characters sounded much more interesting with the japanese voices.

A few years after that I finally began getting anime on dvd and discovered that all the new stuff came with the choice between english and japanese. At first I stuck with the dub out of habit, but after noticing the option and having too much free time back then, I decided to watch them both ways and compare the two, and slowly realised I was generally liking the undubbed better. Soon after that I actually began listening to the undubbed half because I liked it, and half out of some sense that it made me better than those who didn't. Got into the whole sense of elitism for a while before I grew out of it. And since broadband became the norm and I discovered free and easy anime online, I not only watch undubbed as a preference, but strongly dislike dubbed. To the point that I've actually put off watching some anime I otherwise would have, simply because I couldn't find anything but the dub online, as sometimes happens with older series.

These days I've had a chance to think it other objectively, and don't feel the need to look down on people who prefer dubbed. Because I remember feeling the same way when I first started out. I think the reason undubbed is so popular now is just because an anime fan who wants to watch the brand new stuff that's showing currently, simply has to watch the undubbed because the dubbed won't be out for some time. And as a result of this they get used to listening to japanese and discover that a character can be defined as much by the voice, tone and feeling in their words, as much as what is being said. And unfortunately it's hard for english voice actors working for the western publishers who have had nothing to do with the making of the anime, nor likely had any interaction with the creators themselves, to do the same thing the seiyuus do. Especially when voice acting is a much bigger industry over there, with a much larger pool of talent to pick from. It's just hard to compete. To get that, having to endure the inconvenience of subtitles is a small price to pay. In fact, I've been urging myself to learn japanese for years now to bypass that little problem, though haven't managed to get round to it so far. Someday I guess. :dispirited:

Sorry for the rather long winded explanation, but I wanted people to know exactly where I'm coming to on this.
If all that is too much trouble to read though, all I'm saying is that I personally love undubbed to the point of not wanting to watch anything that's been dubbed, but I respect anyone who feels differently, and believe that they might very well changed their minds with enough exposure to the former. And that's everything. :sigh:

I am honestly the same way. I started with dubbed anime, but slowly discovered subbed anime because it was easier to get and faster, compared to dubbed anime. However, the biggest reason for me to stick with subbed anime is the fact that even though i don't know Japanese, I can feel the emotion. The characters have much more life in Japanese then the english version ever do. However, some English dubbed anime is not bad, usually the ones that make it to theaters, not just straight to DVD.

However, really it comes down to the emotion and life of the characters in the Japanese.

I prefer dubbed over subbed, because of three reasons:
1. I like english (I'm not native english, but chose it as advanced course in school)
2. Subbed anime is really tiring, if you watch a whole series at once and don't want to miss a single word (I would like to learn Japanese, but I'm too lazy)
3. I like english voice-over artists
Sorry if that sounds blasphemous for some of you :alonescared:
Edit: Still I love japanese dubbed/english subbed and english dubbed anime equally :3

Last edited:
Undubbed, whenever possible. I prefer to see and hear stuff as close to the original as possible, not only anime but other things, no matter what language. The same with books, if I know the language a bit then I'd rather buy the original version. It's the best way to learn. :)

Besides, my country doesn't have for tradition dubbing things on tv (except small children's programs) so it also contributes to this; we're used to subbed stuff and we prefer it like that. Having your ears used to other words and accents makes it easier for you to learn and speak new languages; you always learn something new, even if some loose words (like "baka", lol).

Finally, you all have to agree, Japanese sounds so much funnier. xD

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

nobis_c wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
Hi Otokonoko, would you reupload the links for this one pls? It's all ded.
母娘☓無人島~陵辱長編RPGパック
Morganah wrote on Shine's profile.
Hie, Shine, could you re-upload this game, please?

https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/080816-heterodoxy-queen-of-darkness.1083784/

Thank you!
tamanah wrote on ramori's profile.
Hi Ramori,

Could you please upload this? https://www.dlsite.com/books/work/=/product_id/BJ01441059.html

BugBug 2024年6月号 [DL版]

Thanks in advance!!
DarkSniper wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi Shine,

[210526][屁理屈流通センター] 生えてるから好き! ふたなりレズカップルの何も着ない一日 [RJ328844]

Please reup the above post, Thanks in Advance