Dubbed vs Undubbed?

Dubbed or Undubbed?

• Total voters
If I may give my opinion as a french talking member.
I have taken the habit of watching anime (and films in general) unsubbed. My tolerance towards (french) dubbed material automatically decreased, with a few exeptions (like Ghost in the Shell, which I explain by a mix of nostalgia - it being one of the first animes I watched - the quantity of dialogue - making the plot difficult to follow with subs - and the voice acting simply being very good) And while I have on occasion whatched animes in english for comparison purposes, my observations are that most english voice actors are bad. Like deadly bad (again, with exeptions, like Maurice Lamarche). Which is kind of sad, since I believe the english language has a lot of potential for creative and unique voices.
French subbers on the other hand have much more experience on this subject than their american counterparts. This is explained by the amount of big production movies imported versus the english demand for smaller, foreign features (Try to find a store selling "Man Bites Dog" by Rémy Belvaux or "The Silence of Lorna" by the Dardenne brothers and tell me if you find anything. I'm genuinely interested to know). The difference forms our subbers while yours don't have much to improve themselves, and they're not encouraged to. But for the past few years, quality has taken a downturn in favor of productivity, with sometimes horrible results (watch an episode of "The Big Bang Theory" with french dubbing if you can find it. It makes my ears bleed.)
Overall, I appreciate materials more in their original, intended form instead of a translation where some things are lost (and rarely gained nowadays). But I think dubbing has it's place as a diffusion method. I just wish people would put more effort and passion in it like the Japanese seem to do.

I don't know about English dubs, but German anime dubs are very bad. The actors have very good voices and speak clearly but there are no emotions whatsoever. So dub is a no no for me

Voice acting in Japan is a career, seiyuus are like hollywood stars. I don't see that kind of respect for this work in other countries.
However, in some american movies (animation) they use hollywood stars end they don't do it quite wrong but you can hire them to dub tv-anime (too expensive).
Btw, how much money make a seiyuu? could it be like the guys from the Simpsons? :/

I would just like to say thanks to the last few posts that basically confirmed what i said earlier! ty :P

I prefer subbed (I have a naive hope that I would learn Japanese from watching tons of anime and eventually be able to watch it raw) sometimes the dub sounds decent but they dont always say what the Japanese versions say so subs are closer to the original or so i feel.

I watched FMA dubbed for 1 episode.... ever since i have cursed dubbed and sworn to be on the subbed side of anime!! :3

I prefer undubbed seriously there's a lot of seiyuus with unique voices and well they're professionals at doing what they do.

Original Japanese voice + eng subs.

Dubbed anime hurt my ears....

Why The Hell Would We Want To Change The Original Jap CV Of The Anime Characters Into American Or Any Other Language Rip-Off Dub's>_>

Supremely And Eternally Forever Undubbed Of Course,Original Is Always The Best Of The Best^-^

I prefer dubbed, because realistically...people don't speak Japanese. Even though I've heard a lot of comments saying that "it's understandable" when infact they don't understand it at all. You will never speak Japanese, so why watch a show in the language? Watch it with dubbed actors in the langauge that you do understand.

Both can be good, both can be bad, depends on how much effort the actors gave and/or how good the subgroup is. But I prefer undubbed/subbed on english, because German dubbed or subbed is very slow or don't exist for the series I want to see :(

Last edited:
undubbed because I feel the expression of the character like tsundere type (Rie Kugimiya) and enjoy the story more ^^

Only time I liked dubbed was when I was little since I didn't know: a) that they were originally Japanese, b) what anime was at the time (or that what I was watching was anime - heck, I didn't even realize Pokemon, Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon, etc. were anime 'til a few years ago), and c) I couldn't care less back then since I was just a kid.

Even had I found out, I probably would've continued watching dubs until I watched anime online.

And although I voted undubbed, I can see where people would prefer dubbed. Imo, I think it's largely based on first impressions. If you watch an anime dubbed first then undubbed, or vice-versa, you're left with a totally different impression, then once you get used to one version, you're less inclined to watch the other and just continue to watch that version.

Personally, what I think separates unsubbed from dubbed is the seiyuus as they've become an important part of anime as any other element such as the story or characters themselves.

My 1st encounter with anime was back in the 80's, and I can guarantee you that all the anime that were aired in the TV were doped dubbed, either in English (i.e. Speed Racer, Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs & Galactic Defender) or in Malay (local language - Macross, Mospeada, Dolvark, Taisho Daimos, Blue Noah, Space Cop Gaban, Miss Comet, Kickers & etc.)

I only found enlightenment in the true teaching of anime back in the very late 90's. Since then, I stick with the subbed.

I watched a couple of animes as dubbed. Especially in English (Swedish as a kid :P). Simply it kinda helped my English well.
Now however I would really like to improove in Japanese, so that's a reason for watching undubbed with English text.

I agreed on ya about that. By watching subbed version, you learned 2 languages at the same time.

When the anime is dubbed, the voice sounds weird O_O esp for girls... Bad voice totally ruins the character's image i reckon O_O so i rather it's subbed and not dubbed

That what happen when they didn't pick the right people for the right character.
I've accidentally watch Last Exile(the 1st) and heard Claus Valca dubbed voice. Oh man, his voice sound waaaay too old for his age.
*Note - I said 'accidentally' b'coz the anime was dual-language, and it had the English dubbed as the default language. Anybody know how to change the default setting for that?*

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Ignaus wrote on UFO's profile.
nobis_c wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Is it possible to update these?
まものす to v24.04.03
Zookeeper Mission! 2 (JP ver) to v23.12.08
Rann wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
Hi, please upload love n life lucky teacher V 2.0.0 :(

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2445340/Love_n_Life_Lucky_Teacher/
eiennosora wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
[RJ397008][モルモットのゲージ] 魔法少女リカとモンスター化ダンジョン
A new version is now available, can you PLEASE reupload this one? Thank you.
eiennosora wrote on Shine's profile.
[RJ397008][モルモットのゲージ] 魔法少女リカとモンスター化ダンジョン
A new version is now available, can you PLEASE reupload this one? Thank you.