I've been wondering....

Kedaran

Sep 5, 2011
(this might turn in to a double post as the first time i got logged out but it didn't show up when i logged back in)

Since i started playing VN's a few weeks back i've noticed that almost all males (especially the main character) are either embarrassingly stupid or plain evil.

Is that the case with all of them or are there actually VN's out there where the main character has a sense of morale, a brain and/or self esteem and i just totally missed them?

I really wouldn't mind finding a few VN's where the main character doesn't pinball bounce between one embarrassing or life threatening disaster to another. :)

The VN's i've done so far is:

Snow Sakura (probably the best i've "played" as the story was pretty good, it had hilarious comic relief and most of the sex scenes actually married well with the story)

Katawa Shoujo (work in progress so can't say much, but it's looking promising)

HITOMI: my stepsister (Stopped at the first rape scene and will not pick it up again)

Figure of Happiness (quite a nice story and one of the few VN's that fit what i'm looking for, though maybe a tad to "serious")

Family Project (Story isn't catching me so taking a break)

KANON (It's good, but for some reason i couldn't properly get in to it)

Casual Romance Club (really confusing so taking a break from that)

Amorous Professor Cherry (i did most of the routes but i kept getting the feeling that it was just another -slightly less obvious- rape VN for the first half part of it.)

Snow Drop (another one of the better in terms of what i'm looking for, though a tad short)

Fate/Stay Night (really really good but, stupid main character)

Cat Girl Alliance (didn't quite fancy that one)

A drug that makes you Dream (another one i didn't like that much)

Discipline: the record of a crusade (the one i'm currently doing and is partly what made me register and make this post)

So, anyone have any recommendations? I don't care if there's sex scenes in them, i don't read them for those but i don't mind them either if they actually fit in to the story.

And i should probably mention that i can't change system language to Japanese, well i can but then Breakaway (sound amplifier software) stops working and i have no sound. So that narrows the VN's i can do quite a bit.

Haven't played all that many, but these come to mind (or rather, are left after deleting all the ones I haven't played and the ones which don't fit the bill from the upload index):

Brave Soul
My opinion: A game that should be played just because it offers something different than the standard stuff. The RPG part is quite addictive, although a bit repetitive. The story is unique (for this genre) and the characters are better worked out than in many other games. There's only very little sex in it though, so see it rather as a RPG with added sex than the other way around.
Verdict: The RPG part was quite fun but the story part was lacking. If you like playing (older) JRPGs this might be something for you, otherwise more story-centric ones could be a better choice.

Castle Fantasia 2
My opinion: This is a remake of an older game with an excellent and often funny story. The setting as well as the characters are pretty unique, but the SRPG part is a bit too easy. Being older (well, technically) the game has no history function and also lacks the holy 'Skip Read Parts' function, meaning that getting all the ends takes a bit of time - but at least you can skip most of the battles. ;)
While talking about the endings: there's two main branches, in which the endings are very similar to each other - go and collect them to see. ^^
Verdict: Quite fun game with a good story to support it. Since the story was emphasised over the battles they can be won quite easily - actually the first fight it is the only difficult one.

Crescendo
My opinion: What I first noticed was that the game displays the text over the whole screen instead of using a small box. The art is also skillfully done, but, just like the text display, takes a bit to get used to. At first I had a hard time connecting to the game, but once I got to the first end it had me gripped - in conclusion this game takes a while to get into, but it is more then worth it.
Verdict: Definitely one of the better translated game. If you're a fan of school romance or classical music you should not miss this one.

Critical Point
My opinion: This game has the best story I've encountered so far. The characters are well worked-out with alternating story lines that bring about completely different endings, even altering the back-story! Sadly the game is old and it shows in the graphics. :( It will keep you busy until you got all the endings though. ;)
Verdict: If you can see past the age (and graphics) this game will reward you with a rich story line gripping you until you reach the conclusion.

Kana - Little Sister
My opinion: Masterfully written, this game will draw you in and touch you deep down. On several occasions I was moved to tears, which is no mean feat. In parts philosophical, in others cheerful or sad, this shows what excellent penmanship is. Now, there's not much sex scenes in it, so if you play it do it for the story alone.
Sadly there's some technical issues (crashing minutes before I got the last ending and CG, taking my nigh-perfect savegame down :mad:).
Verdict: A classic and one of the best translated games. This is one you shouldn't miss as long as you can remember to save often, utilising two slots.

Raidy
My opinion: Lesbian sex is always good. ;) The RPG part is more of a boring dungeon crawl though and only the enemies animations will keep you from switching off. The story is also extremely recycled - still worth a play though. Luckily this game is so short that you'll be through before it starts to wear off and thus still stays more enjoyable than the grades would let you expect.
Verdict: Great if you like yuri sex and fighting skimpily glad/nude monsters. Good for some quick enjoyment and for being rather novel, but still lacking in several aspects.

Raidy 2

Soul Link
My opinion: The game features good art and a very interesting setting - a welcome change from the rabu-rabu school romances that are heavily featured in most games. The menu system also shows more thought than those in most other games, which is a nice little bonus. ;) The music is a tad annoying, but nothing that can't be dealt with or switched off.
Anyway, the story itself is about a military school that is attacked by terrorists. And since this is science fiction, the school is a space station, adding to the tension. The translation is quite good, carrying over the tension well and the occasional joke also survived it. Another point of note is that you die quite often, sometimes seemingly random.
Verdict: Gripping story that veers from the standard school romance stuff in most other games. Definitely a game that should be played if you like things that are a bit more fleshed out or require a bit of trial-and-error. Actually as long as you're not an avid nukige or school romance player you should pick this one up.

Utawarerumono
My opinion: Excellent story with a few turns and twists to keep you on your toes. The battle system seems simplistic but playing it on the higher difficulties will be quite a challenge and have you think constantly - or use some underhanded tactics. ;) The H-scenes seem to have been added late in the development to pep up the game a bit. The artwork is a real strong point of this game and simply excellent. Character-wise you got quite a few, each with identifieable and coherrent likes and dislikes and character development throughout the game. Slight minus points for not being fully voiced and the sex scenes being too short and censored. And for having three Kamyu scenes and none with Kuuya and Sakuya. :mad:
Verdict: One of the games everyone should have at least trialled. Very well done all around and enjoyable to the end, but light on the sex.

Ooh, some nice recommendations there, gonna have to give them a go.

I did attempt to try Kana - Little sister a while ago but i couldn't even get it to install. It was something about the .exe's in the bin folder, so i expect that it was a language locale issue. But as i don't have sound when i switch i never bothered to as i have to keep that language to play.

But is there anything out there in the same style as Snow Sakura (it is more a comedy VN then anything)? Figure of Happiness were somewhat close but the comic parts were few and far between and didn't really come off that well because of the story.

Most of the VN's i've done has had quite mellow story's, so i'd like to blend them with a few comedy ones that prefferably does not have to many sex scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

nobis_c wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi, do you have the update for this? It got major bug fixes.
クロア×スクランブル to v24.04.24 / v1.092
tintin0821 wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
Hi, Nihonjaki90-san.
Could you reupload this game? Thanks in advance.
LazuH1KKA wrote on Shine's profile.
GuRu wrote on Esan's profile.
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/200828-innocent-grey-虚ノ少女《new -cast-remaster-edition%E3%80%8B-%E3%83%91%E3%83%83%E3%82%B1%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8%E7%89%88.1289457/を katefile または mexashare またはrosefileに再アップロードして頂けますか。