Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

would you enjoy combat aspects if they were added in otome?

Personally, I like not just the combat, but also the mini-games in these games. Not many of them have them, but I genuinely enjoy most of the ones that do. If I recall correctly, all the games in the Harukanaru Toki no Naka de series feature combat.
 
Personally I don't mind having combat system but it should fit the storyline. It would be nice if there were cool cutscenes included in the combat where heroine/LIs saves each other. It would make it really immersive.
 
I don't like to add combat elements. I prefer game plots that are more focused on daily romance, with women being gentle and kind.
 
  • Like
Reactions: rorocchi
I'm not against tha idea, if it's 1). have a difficulty setting and 2). all action combat must be on PC (how are people playing LADs on mobile is beyond me). I'd be very interesting to play a huge completely female-oriented RPG. Basically, just give me finished, one-time purchase LADs on PC and I'll be happy 😭
i had to use an android emulator for that lol! my phone was absolutely BURNING while running that and also the file size of that application was slowly getting big D:
 
  • Like
Reactions: rorocchi
Combat is definitely one thing that can spice up gameplay a bit, as long as the mechanics are interesting and fun. I don't mind it in an otome at all, but that sort of starts to warp and blur the lines what KIND of game you're actually playing. (Not that I personally mind - I like all kinds of games).

All I ever really want is a complex and interesting story, well-written dialogue, choices that really do matter, a variety of love interests to romance, and enjoyable gameplay mechanics. Is that so much to ask? :LOL: ...but really, Baldur's Gate 3 ruined me for everything else.

It's a little off topic, but those kinds of games - things like Mass Effect and Dragon Age and of course, Baldur's Gate 3. They're absolutely my favorite kinds of games to play. Part of it has to do with the combat, but a lot of it has to do with the fact that I like it when romance is a part of my story, but not the whole story.
 
  • Like
Reactions: rorocchi
I definitely wouldn't mind having combat in an otome game. While I never had a problem with just the VN format, I think exploring and experimenting with other gameplay elements would be fun. I mostly play JRPGs anyways so it wouldn't be that different from stuff i already play but it would actually be made with me being the target audience in mind :P
 
I actually really enjoy combat elements! One of the otome games I've played with combat was Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 6 DX, and I had a lot of fun with it. That said, after playing for a while, I did start to find the combat a little tiring.

Since otome games usually involve multiple playthroughs to romance different LIs and see all the bad and happy endings, I think the key would be having a combat system that stays fun and doesn't get repetitive even after several playthroughs.
 
I think this can increase the interest of the game and increase the sense of crisis of the plot during the situation.
 
  • Like
Reactions: rorocchi
I like games with more gameplay elements, so I would be happy if combat were added to otome games. I'd actually love to see more otome games with more gameplay in general. I think it would be fun to have something to actually play alongside the romance and story.

That said, I wouldn't want the gameplay to become so important that the romance gets neglected. For me, the romance is still the most important part of an otome game, so I'd like the gameplay and romance to complement each other.
 
I think it really depends on how the game designs its mechanics and combat system. Personally, I'm not really into how LnD does it. (Have to admit it's designed to be pretty P2W, since it's hard to clear the higher Tower levels without having enough cards. Plus, the combat itself doesn't really have much going on. You basically just let your love interests do all the fighting, which gets a bit boring for me.) It also feels like it eats up device specs for no real reason.

On the other hand, I think it could work better if they used a combat system like the popular action games on the market right now, like Mihoyo games, WUWA, or other open-world RPGs. They'd probably need to tweak it a bit to make it feel more like an otome game, though. It might not appeal as much to people who aren't used to or don't enjoy this kind of gameplay, so it could end up being more niche.

But honestly, I think turn-based combat that doesn't rely on manual controls could work better than expected. Even a lot of rhythm games that require skill to play are still pretty popular.
 
  • Like
Reactions: rorocchi
Personally, not really (⁠˘⁠・⁠_⁠・⁠˘⁠) Combat elements tend to take me out of the experience, especially when I'm completely immersed in the story and suddenly I have to stop and fight. 😭
They can also be difficult sometimes, and I end up feeling more frustrated than entertained. I'd rather have the game focus on the story, characters, and romance routes.
 
  • Like
Reactions: rorocchi
If an otome game adds combat elements, I hope they're actually fun. If it's too boring, I'd feel like I'm just wasting my time, and the story flow would feel off too
 
  • Like
Reactions: rorocchi
I would love to see an otome with a decent combat system. It was one of the things that initially drew me to try LADS, but when I actually tried I hated it. It found it really boring and repetitive so I just gave up and run the game on auto. Most of the games that have combat elements right now are on mobile, and they were all pretty lackluster. I think turn-based or a well done deck building ( à la Slay the Spire) could be fun mechanics too.
 
  • Like
Reactions: rorocchi