What are your favorite animes?

Baka

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2011
This is the one topic found in all otaku forums, however it doesn't appear that there is an active thread on ASF so I'll be starting one :goodtea:

With that said, the question of "What are your favorite anime?" is an extremely hard question to answer, so I'll make it easier by setting some guidelines.

1) You can categorize each of your favorites under their genre(s)
2) You can describe why you like them.
3) You can share your thoughts upon watching them.
4) You can list as many of your favorites as you'd like.
5) You should score the anime on a scale of 10.
6) YOU MUST WRAP SPOILER ALERT WHEN YOU THINK YOU ARE REVEALING SPOILER CONTENT!!!

I'll start:

Action, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, and/or Adventure

Fate/Stay Night - Great story, great characters, decent twists, acceptable ending 9.5/10
Code Geass R1 and R2 - Good story, good characters, plenty of twists, great ending 9.7/10
Rozen Maiden - I sort of have an interest in dolls ._. , plus Suigintou and Shinku are badass, nice soundtracks too 9.3/10
Chrono Crusade - Good story, good characters, good ending 8.5/10
Utawarerumono - Good story, good/cute characters, some wtf twist, wtf?! ending 8.5/10
To Aru no Majutsu no Index I, II and Railgun - Good story, Misaka Mikoto <3, lacking significant twists, lacks powerful ending, but awesome soundtracks 8/10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Romance

Air TV - Powerful story, cute characters, in my opinion the finest of Key, also first anime to make me cry 9.8/10
Puella Magi Madoka Magica - A little confusing but really powerful ending that left me thinking about it for weeks 9.2/10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mystery, and/or Horror

Higurashi series - Confusing at first but then everything makes sense later, making everything connect and thus creating a good story. 9/10
Elfen Lied - Just watch it if you haven't, few anime ever make it to this caliber 9.8/10
Baccano! - Simultaneously telling stories and connecting the dots towards later episodes, creating a good story, ending was also great 8.5/10

Comedy

Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii ga nai - Otaku memes come together to make it highly entertaining... I was thoroughly amused all the way. 9/10

These are all the ones I can think of right now, I will post more later

Last edited:
Hmm favorites... I guess ill list the ones that appealed to me for some random reason or another
Angel Beats - Its just awesome XD
Hayate no Gotoku - The manga is one of my favorites so i guess anime appeals to me too
Pandora Hearts - The rushed ending ruined it so the manga is much better
Jing King of Bandits - I like the random creativity
Code Geass - Ending was epic
Toaru Majutsu no Index - Flashy magical stuff accompanied with random destruction yay (and a main character that can actually fight as opposed to sitting around crying and trying to stop the fighting without doing anything)
Negima - More random magic
Shakugan no Shana - I like her hair XD Shiny swords are nice too

I believe we've something similar to this, but what the heck, I'm too lazy to look for it.
[MENTION=11276]Baka[/MENTION] I'm gonna use your format to list mine, if you wouldn't mine.

Action, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, and/or Adventure

Super Dimension Fortress Macross - Great story, great characters, war, romance, mecha and song - what else can you ask for, great ending (9.9/10)
Macross Plus - Good story, typical love-triangle character except both main characters are test pilots, great planes' design, great song (9.7/10)
Macross Frontier - Nice fighter design, great songs, that's all (5/10) - too many homage to SDF Macross, the ending felt kinda rush, got plot holes, hence the low points
Patlabor - Good story, good characters, conspiracies, comedy, shouldn't have ending (8/10)
Climber Genesis Mospeada - Nice story, interesting characters, transformable bike, great OP song (Do you remember, LONELY SOLDIER BOYS!!) (9/10)
Utawarerumono - Good story, good/cute characters, some wtf twist, wtf?! ending 8/10 (Same as posted by Baka)

Romance

Toradora - Great story, funny characters, best fighting scene(there's only one major fight in the anime), like the 1st ED song (7.5/10)
Fruits Basket - Like how the story relate to the Chinese zodiacs, interesting characters(my fav is Shigure Sohma, the dog), great song, coz they were sang by the late Ritsuko Okazaki, too bad the anime didn't finish, unlike the manga (7.5/10)
Angel Beats! - Interesting story, funny especially episode 5, great songs, interesting characters background thou not all of them, and when everyone finally 'move on' it really touch my heart, just like how it felt at the last day of my school life. (9.5/10) - *Note* I dunno which category this one should fall in.

Mystery, and/or Horror

xxxHolic - We learn new things about Japanese cultures and believes, cute characters, especially Zashiki-warashi (7/10)
Elfen Lied - 1 word - Guro, the anime felt kinda not finish, which it is coz from the manga, there's more after that (5/10)

Comedy

Seto no Hanayome - Funny characters, funny story, especially when it involved the heroine's father (9/10)
Abenobashi Mahou Shotengai - Very funny, many parodies, decent story (8/10)

There's more, but I can't think at the moment. Lag tend to make my mind lag as well

Kore wa Zombie desu ka? is my favourite ;3 awesome story with a good balance of slice of life comedy and action :3

Psychological

Ef: A Fairy Tale of Two - These two series... Just wow. I don't think I will ever watch anything as well made as those again. Simply amazing.

Romance/Shoujo Ai

Sakura Chronicles - The music and art for this were just beautiful. The plot took a bit of a dive towards the end of the show, but the purity of the love shown (which was really the whole point of the show,) more than made up for it.

NANA - I haven't actually finished watching this, so my opinion might be a bit blurred, but the way they show the relationship between Nana and Hachi is just so lovely that I think it deserves a place here. It's just a shame that the writer didn't follow through with the Shoujo Ai so implicit between those two. But then, I suppose the lack of a sexual element to the love between the two does give it a certain... Something. It's almost like the ideal that love and friendship strives to be.

Strawberry Panic - I admit, this isn't something I would really watch these days as I don't quite have the patience for it, but it still holds a special place in my heart as the first yuri/shoujo ai I ever watched, and the first of anything that made me cry.

Kashimashi: Girl meets Girl - This is... Well, I don't think there's anyway to describe it really. Technically, it's not that great. Messy comicalness, a meh plot, and nothing particularly special in the production of it. And yet I loved it. It just... Holds something that makes it worth watching. Enough so that it's even gets a consistant place on my favourites.

Crime

Gosick - This is probably the most straight forward of my favourites. Not overly heavy, but extremely well written nonetheless. Great music, great art, great plot puzzles and great characters.

Seinen

Black Lagoon - Heheh, A bit of a twist on my normal preferred's, but well worth it. Great music, good art, amazing concept, and the most badass female character there ever was. :3

Honorable Mention

Girl Friends - This is actually a Manga, so I probably shouldn't put it on here, but it was so amazing that I'm doing it anyway. :P This is the sweetest and most beautiful romance I've ever read, or perhaps even seen. It's a Shoujo Ai about a girl who falls for her best friend, but it's so innocent and amazing that anyone, yuri fan or no, should read this in my book. ^.^

----------

Huh... That actually turned out to be more than I was expecting... But I don't think I can take any of them off. That's as short as I can make it to cover the ones that really deserve to be on the list. Looking through, I think I could probably state that the defining feature of a lot of these is actually the purity of emotion and love that they hold. That does mean a lot to me. :)

Amagami SS, Amagami SS plus, Guilty Crown, Full Metal Alchemist - Brotherhood, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, Lucky Star, The World God Only Knows, K-ON!, K-ON!!, Kore wa Zombie desu ka, Boku wa tomodachi ga sukunai, Freezing, Sekirei, Sekirei - Pure Engagement, Highschool of the Dead, Shakugan no Shana, Shakugan no Shana II, Shakugan no Shana III Final, Ichigo 100%. :)

high school of the dead, High school DXD, Elfen lied, Naruto, Fairy tail, Code geass and Gurren Lagann
I've watched way more anime but i think those are my favorites

Ghost in The Shell : It has the best character i have seen... Motoko, a really wide history and fantastic music.
Many things can be say about this anime i think the best one can do is get inform of it and then watch it.

Serial Experiment Lain : Awesome!... I have orgasms with this anime, Why i like it?... Do you have to ask!.

Ef a tale of memories/melodies : Beautiful is a word that can't describe this anime, extraordinary music, brilliant animation, amazing story, great characters and one of my favorites EDs -->Kizamu Kisetsu<--.

When They Cry Universe : If you don't know what i meat to say... shame of you.

For comedy I'd pick:
Mitsudomoe season 1 and 2

suspense/horror:
Another (I thought it was really well done and I even jumped once LoL!)

action:
Mirai Nikki (Didn't know where to categorize it as, but I really enjoyed it)

romance:
Kamisama Kazoku (Ever since I saw it, I've loved it)

mecha:
Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari (I loved how this played out)

Ok that is all for the moment. I could prolly go on and on ;)

Current List of favorite anime(will change in the future):

Drama/Romance:
Amagami
Amagami SS+
Ano Hana
Clannad
Angel Beats!
Myself;Yourself
Yosuga no Sora

Action:
Death Note
Elfen Lied(I guess I can call this action...)
Mirai Nikki
Deadman Wonderland
D. Gray Man
Highschool of the Dead

Comedy:
Beelzebub
Gin Tama
Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan
Sora no Otoshimono/Forte
To Love-Ru/Motto
Seitokai no Ichizon
Kore wa Zombie desu ka?(Currently watching the second season)

Non-categorized Anime:
KissXSis
Pokemon(Original)
Yu-Gi-Oh(Original)

I suck at critiquing so...

Clannad,
Air,
Kanon,
Shakugan no Shana,
Yu-Gi-Oh,
Valkyria Chronicles,
Pale Cocoon (OVA)
H2O: Footprints in the Sand,
Fortune Arterial,
Gosick

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Amgoose wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
This game recently got updated after 2 years

https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ351576.html
hc1992 wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
RJ274721 RJ312028 links are dead, please could you reupload these?
thebreaker2 wrote on Shine's profile.
RJ090136 ver 1.3
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/120127-ティー・エンタ・ぴー-ゴーストハウス・ガンスイーパー-ver-1-3.45161/

All download links are dead
Please could you reupload these using mexa.sh link?
thebreaker2 wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
RJ106740 ver 2
RJ132271 ver 2.02
RJ130405 ver 1.04
RJ127061 ver 1.06
RJ114347 ver 1.10
RJ086550 ver 1.24

All download links are dead
Please could you reupload these using mexa.sh link?