Phrase or Word Translation : Japanese <==> English

I hope someone can help me translating this

956369-MOUK77A.png

Thanks in advance

I would like to ask about the gobi dazo in this sentence.
気持ちが悪かったら、縁を切ってもらってかまわないんだぞ?
From what I know, da and zo are gobi used as strong affirmation by male. What is confusing me is the question mark at the end? This is the first time that I see dazo comes with the '?'. I don't know if it has any special meaning or not. Can someone help me clear my doubt?

In this usage, has been used in the sense of confirmation of a statement that before.
気持ちが悪かったら、縁を切ってもらってかまわない  んだぞ?(~だぞ?)

I decided to practice my Japanese by trying to translate some hentai. I figured hentai would be easier to start with. I need some help though. I tried using a dictionary to look up the words I didn't know but I just couldn't translate to sentences that made sense.

It starts out with this at the top of the page.

一週間前
1 week ago ( I think)

Then a guy is walking out the door and he says in the 1st bubble
アレ? (doesn't this mean that? Why would he say that while walking out the door?)

The girl behind him says
もしかして
たっくん
but I can't get these words to make sense.

Then the next frame is the girl by herself and she says
やっぱり
たっくんだ
and I thought I knew what these words ment but they make no sense.

Any guidance would be appreciated. I really respect the guys who were able to learn Japanese on their own because I am really struggling.

Jeffrey

I figured hentai would be easier to start with.
I'm not sure I can justify that, unless you mean hentai is easier because a great deal of the text consists of silly moaning sounds that at most only require a little creativity to avoid making them sound too dull. Otherwise, as hentai media is intended for adults, do expect more complex sentence structures (especially in narration).

Shounen manga are a good start. They have furigana and often the sentences are very easy to rewrite in English (unless there's some terminology dump).

一週間前
1 week ago ( I think)
Yes.

Then a guy is walking out the door and he says in the 1st bubble
アレ? (doesn't this mean that? Why would he say that while walking out the door?)
あれ is also a very common interjection. It simply means something like "eh?"

The girl behind him says
もしかして
たっくん
but I can't get these words to make sense.
もしかして is something like "could it be...", whereas たっくん is probably how that girl calls the main character or some guy. If those are the only words in the sentence, you could translate it as "Takkun, is it true that..."; "Takkun, don't tell me you..."; "Could it be... Takkun..."; etc.

Then the next frame is the girl by herself and she says
やっぱり
たっくんだ
and I thought I knew what these words ment but they make no sense.
やっぱり is a bit hard to translate accurately at times, but most of the time it's something like "after all..." or "as I thought..." See above for たっくん. だ is a copula. If those are the only the words in the sentence, you could translate it like "As I thought, it's you, Takkun!" or "So it was you all along, Takkun!"

Thanks for the help and the advice... I didn't know shonen had furigana. I snag some raw shonen and give it a shot. What do these translators that scanlate manga do when the translation doesn't make sense? It's real discouraging when you feel like your making good progress and you practice with some raw manga and then my translation makes no sense at all. Every time I think I'm getting closer to being able to somewhat read Japanese I get put into my place real quick and realize how little I know.

What do these translators that scanlate manga do when the translation doesn't make sense?
Personally, if I can't make enough sense from certain parts in a manga chapter or can't rewrite them well enough, I leave them and proceed to translate the rest with hopes that it will enlighten me better on the context (it almost always does). At the very least, if I can translate the rest of the chapter just fine, when I go back to the parts I left unattended I'll figure out that between A and C there's supposed to be B.

If nothing helps me understand it better, not even attempts to find out about it online, I have no choice but to rely on my reading comprehension and writing skills to be able to hopefully spice up good sentences that make sense in English, don't sound retarded, and fit well in the places of the missing pieces. This is just a last-resort solution, however.

Translation help again

This is from the Love chocolates and elections visual novel on the PSP.

ごはっこん, おめでと-ございます!

The 1st part is what I'm having trouble with. I've goggled on it and looked in 3 different dictionaries and other word lists as well. After the comma I think it's congratulations and the polite word. I'm just lost with the 1st part. Thanks!

Jeffrey

Hi thanks for the translation. I'm still a little confused.

ごけっこん - I get that kekkon is marriage now, but I'm confused about the ご (go) at the beginning. What does it mean?

Thanks,
JEffrey

Last edited:
Phrase or Word Translation Japanese t t English

Much of this song is in English, but I cant find a translation of the Japanese ? lyrics. Please help Thank you

Its No Game Part 1 by David Bowie on the Scary Monsters album:

Re: Phrase or Word Translation Japanese t t English

Much of this song is in English, but I cant find a translation of the Japanese ? lyrics. Please help Thank you

Its No Game Part 1 by David Bowie on the Scary Monsters album:

As for the music, a narration part of the lyrics is Japanese. He went to Japan to shoot a commercial and hoped that wanted to sing this song in Japanese. However, only a narration part seemed to be made with Japanese because the lyrics and music had been already completed. By the Japanese narration, a meaning similar to the lyrics was talked about.

- the lyrics

シルエットや影が革命を見ている
もう天国の自由の階段は無い

Silhouettes and shadows watch the revolution
No more free steps to heaven
It's no game

俺、現実から締め出され
何が起こっているかわからない
どこに教訓はあるか人々は指を折られている
こんな独裁者に卑しめられるのは哀しい

I am barred from the event
I really don't understand the situation
And it's no game

Documentaries on refugees
Couples against the target
You throw a rock against the road
And it breaks into pieces
Draw the blinds on yesterday, and it's all so much scarier
Put a bullet in my brain, and it makes all the papers

新聞は書き立てるさ

難民の記録映画
標的を背にした恋人たち
道に石を投げれば粉々に砕け
昨日に蓋をすれば恐怖は増す
俺の頭に弾を打ち込めば
新聞は書き立てる

There's always tomorrow when people have their fingers broken
To be insulted by these fascists - it's so degrading
And it's no game

Shutup! Shutup!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

TheB33 wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi can you please resend the games from 諾威水産? I've been looking them for some time even DLsite don't have these games
kihon wrote on Shine's profile.
Buying resources out of their own pockets, spending energy and effort, with almost no return so that everyone can enjoy the cultural and entertainment products of developed countries at almost zero cost walking in the dark to serve the light, they are real heroes
bg,f8f8f8-flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg
darkvita wrote on ramori's profile.