How to spell the character name?

ArtoriaPendragon

Fate/stay night
Elite Member
Sep 13, 2016
Hi there! I've been reading the light novel 「ハズレ枠の【状態異常スキル】で最強になった俺がすべてを蹂躙するまで」that will be animated and on air in July, I like the heroine "セラス・アシュレイン" very much, she's a beautiful high elf princess. But I have a question how to spell her name, it can be "Seras Ashlain" in English and "Seras Ashrein" in German. I don't know which is correct, or her name originated from other Nordic languages?

It is normal for people's names to be spelled or pronounced differently in different languages, especially when languages do not use the same base character set.

Usually you would go with the spelling of the name that pertains to the language you are currently speaking/writing. In English, that would be "Seras Ashrain" since that is the localized spelling for her character in English. For German, if there is not an official localization you could either use the English one or the "Ashrein" spelling and both would be correct.

The "Ashlain" spelling sounds like how a Japanese person would pronounce the other versions, meaning that the 'original' name by the author was probably something like Ash-Rain and then the author localized it into Japanese. The official localization makes sense from that perspective.

Reactions: Foxgloves
It is normal for people's names to be spelled or pronounced differently in different languages, especially when languages do not use the same base character set.

Usually you would go with the spelling of the name that pertains to the language you are currently speaking/writing. In English, that would be "Seras Ashrain" since that is the localized spelling for her character in English. For German, if there is not an official localization you could either use the English one or the "Ashrein" spelling and both would be correct.

The "Ashlain" spelling sounds like how a Japanese person would pronounce the other versions, meaning that the 'original' name by the author was probably something like Ash-Rain and then the author localized it into Japanese. The official localization makes sense from that perspective.
I see. It is possible that the author localized "Ash-rain" into Japanese and then I hadn't considered it might be a compound word.

Nice answer! Thank you very much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

DarkSniper wrote on Shine's profile.
AUO wrote on Shine's profile.
Can you reupload this?
アオハループ
nobis_c wrote on Shine's profile.
Also, could you update this one please? The bugs are horrendous and they put many additional features. Thanks.
アノ子は僕の性奴隷
Morisoba1988 wrote on Shine's profile.

[240117][VRゲーム屋さん] 【VR】学びな日常~あなたの部屋が女の子たちのたまり場に!?~ [RJ01133621]

Do you have the latest versions of these?
nobis_c wrote on Shine's profile.
A reupload request. Do you still have this in your database?
お兄ちゃんは私だけのものなんだからっ!!