Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Do you prefer Live2D and other sprite animations? Or is it something you don't care for?

usagi-k

Active member
Elite
極乙女
Nov 7, 2025
267
749
afaik it is only licobits titles that have live2D integrated in them and i personally really enjoy it ! when i first played uchronia i found it a little suprising to get used to but i soon became a big fan of how it looks ! visually it's so alive and interactive and they improved upon it so much more in unlogical !! in unlogical i reallyy enjoyed seeing how small shifts in expression were conveyed through the live2D simply by having the pupils dilate or having their eyes shift around similar to how people do when theyre thinking ^^ it's the same in lmm too since there's been moments where the expressions of the characters on screen change as the dialogue goes on almost as a live reaction to what they are hearing !!!

in sins of kaleido while the sprites arent animated i was still a big fan of how they utilised them ! sprites would often shift mid dialogue and they included a lot of visual comedy through the sprite work which was really amusing to me !!! i remember distinctly a moment where eugene was crouched on the ground and as heath continues to talk we slowly see eugene's sprite shift back up ^^ it made me laugh quite a bit ><

blinking sprites and mouth moving sprites are common in most titles now but i still appreciate those too ! anything that can help the game feel more alive with its interactions ! since through small things like this the reaction of the characters feels more realistic to the situation & you get to see lots of variations in expressions ! i wanna know if other people enjoy them just as much as i do or is it something you dont pay attention to? or maybe you find them uncanny to look at ^^;;
 
Personally, I appreciate it when they have the live 2D sprites, but it's not something that decides whether or not I play a game. I typically stick to free games or mobile so the ones I've encountered that use live 2D tend to be less focused on romance and more on wacky shenanigans which is why I don't actively seek them out. But over all it's not a primary factor I consider.
 
I love it when games use Live2D for sprites, but it bugs me when they don't change the characters' clothes. I prefer seeing the sprites wear different outfits depending on the event. Sometimes, you only get to see the outfit changes in the CGs.

Because of that, I think having static sprites where only the mouth or eyes move is honestly good enough lol or even not moving at all. I just want to see the characters wear different outfits!

Also, if they're going to use Live2D for the sprites, I really hope they can make the CGs animated too. Some eroge already do that!
:alice_orz:
 
When Live2D is used, the characters feel much more expressive and lively!
Like some of the others have said, I don't feel like I need to specifically look for games that use Live2D, but I'm always happy when a game has it.
I'd be happy to see more and more systems like this being introduced to make games even more enjoyable!
 
  • Love
Reactions: usagi-k
Depends how the rigging is done. I'm a big fan of beautiful still sprites even if they have no animation, in some cases I do think the movements are too excessive or don't really fit the style but in general good live2D is awesome since it can give the character more expressiveness
 
  • Love
Reactions: usagi-k
It honestly depends.

I really liked the Live2D sprites in Hakuoki on PS3, it's a shame they didn't have anything like that in the other versions of the game. The characters felt really alive, I liked seeing them breathing and their hair moving in the wind.

On the other hand, I'm really not a fan of the Live2D sprites in Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 4. They're really off-putting and remind me of that one vtuber concert that became a meme. I love the game anyway since I love TMGS, but I wish the sprites didn't throw me off so much.

It depends on the execution, but generally speaking I would love to see more variety in how otome games present their characters rather than every game having still 2D sprites.
 
  • Love
Reactions: usagi-k
I do love live 2d or just any sprite doesn't have animation I know it's expensive to do any movement so I'm not really picky as long it's flows well
 
  • Love
Reactions: usagi-k
I like Live2D, but sometimes it moves too much. The best Live2D I've seen is in Twisted Wonderland - they don't shake like an earthquake's happening and move naturally. And they change clothes, too! It's probably very expensive, so I can only hope seeing something similar in otome games 😔
 
  • Love
Reactions: usagi-k
I love them, theyre so immersive and lively and makes the world feel more alive. It definitely enhances the experience but I wouldnt say not having it would greatly damage the quality of the otome. That said, i would love more of them... I wish more commercial otomes had the same budget and production quality as mainstream games 😢
 
  • Love
Reactions: usagi-k