Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Do you have a favorite background or setting in otome games or drama CDs?

hydre

New member
上級乙女
Sep 14, 2026
95
113
What kind of setting would you like for the story? I like games based on fantasy or historical settings! The art is very beautiful!
If there's a little mystery and horror, that's my type!
But for listening to CDs, something more realistic is better. Things that can happen at school or in everyday life.
How about you all?
 
I love fantasy, historical, and modern settings equally (plot always number one!). I even love things like the omegaverse AU too lol. This one is really rare for otome tho, because it's mainly used in BL. Fantasy and historical settings have always fascinated me, while modern settings always make me feel relatable and close.

As for drama CDs... I think I have more fantasy and historical ones that are part of a series, while the modern-realistic ones tend to be standalones. If I actually count them, I probably own more modern drama cds than historical/fantasy.

Well, sometimes I avoid historical settings lol, because old or early modern Japanese (like Edo period) is too hard for me to understand.

:boys_down:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Rudy_2489
Fantasy setting is definitely my favorite setting especially when it has a whimsy feel 😄 I also enjoy when the art is vibrant and colorful in otome games/drama cds.
 
For games, not sure if this will make sense, but I definitely prefer games set in modern times, close to the present day, with the story taking place in either real-life towns or fictional locations (like WakuDeki, where Mihana is still located in modern-day Japan). I don't mind games set in made-up worlds, a distant future or the past, but they seem a bit harder to approach for me. The slice of life, day-to-day feel, even if other elements are mixed in, seems to pull me in the most, since there is little to no worldbuilding to be done, with only some additional elements necessary for the plot. Grandiose fantasy worlds are harder for me to get into since the worldbuilding can definitely make or break a game for me. I dislike things not making sense or not being presented in an understandable manner, and when I'm left with questions that weren't answered in the end (´;ω;`)
 
I also prefer historical and fantasy based setting, i play modern and sci-fi as well but if i have to choose between 2 games which to play first i'd definitely choose the historical/fantasy one over any other
 
  • Like
Reactions: Hisami
My appetite and desire for different backgrounds is bottomless. Depends on my mood if I play a historical or fantasy setting game I would like to play a modern setting one next. Though least favourite one for me is high school setting ones with no particular plot or other elements.They used to be so prevalent so maybe cause of that
 
I think my favorites would be mystery settings, especially ones with a detective or investigative vibe. I also really love fantasy, especially when the world itself has something interesting or different to discover. 👀
And lastly, I really like stories set in specific time periods, especially historical settings. I feel like they give the story a very particular atmosphere.
 
When it comes to otome games, I prefer historical settings the most—especially those with a European historical vibe.

As for otome dramas, however, I prefer office or school settings; I'm not too keen on fantasy settings for audio dramas because it's hard to clearly visualize what's happening (since I don't understand Japanese very well) 😅.
 
I'm also a big fan of fantasy or anything mystical/fantastical really. Even fairy tales are a welcomed sight, or a historic japanese setting. Those fantasy genres really give the writers full creative liberty to come up with some amazing plots though I admit the execution is oftentimes lacking due to textdumping all that worldbuilding into multiple paragraphs. Tbh I'm not that picky when it comes to genres I do think modern slice of life stories tend to be more boring unless the premise is really interesting (paired with horror for example).

For dramacds I'm also open for any genres. My absolute favorite drama CD is a suspense, thriller modern life one (逃暴者 ~ナオヤ編), the immersion is top notch and that's usually what I'm looking for in dramacds, the more immersion the better (seriously this dramacd is absolute PEAK, if anyone is looking for insanely good voice acting and sfx placement then this is the one. First time I listened to it I felt my heart beating through my chest). There are a lot of series made by rejet that I enjoyed, those tend to be more on the fantasical side instead of modern one but the darker vibe to it is something I enjoy too. For dramacds it might be a bit harder though, I usually only tend to go for 1-2 types of guys and since those are usually rare I grab any genre they exists in. If I had the choice I'd avoid anything office/idol related unless it has a dark spin on it. 🤔
 
I know having modern high school setting in an otome is meant to be cliché, but honestly I don't feel like there are that many! It feels like there are more otome games with fantasy or non-modern settings, especially in recent years. I actually find it refreshing when an otome game has a classic school setting like Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side or Storm Lover Kai, it feels comforting and nostalgic.

I do also really like Taisho era media, I love the fashion and the mix of western and Japanese aesthetics. Butler LIs in a Taisho era setting are my favourite!!