Win10- Having some issues with Japanese filenames.

Souldrake

Nov 21, 2015
Hello. I've recently reinstalled windows (going from win 7 to win 10) and am having some issues with Japanese filenames. Specifically filenames that are from files downloaded from Japanese game sites such as dlsite.

Now, I have installed Japanese language support and IME. IME works and I can rename a file in Japanese and it works just fine.
Non-Unicode is set to Japanese. Locale/Location: Japan (I'm really in Taiwan, but that shouldn't matter)
Computer has been restarted (many times since)

Issues:
-- Using the Japanese IME in JWPce doesn't seem to work properly-- another issue I would love to fix as I use JWPce quite often. Notepad works just fine... not JWPce =/

-- My main issue is file names in .zip files downloaded from some Japanese sites still show up as garbled letters and this prevents games from running properly. I have contacted dlsite, specifically, and they sent me a self-extracting .exe file and *that* worked properly, however, I would like to resolve this issue so that I don't have to do this every single time for my own sanity as well as theirs.

EDIT: also of possible note. No matter whether I download a Japanese game via site or torrent, the readme.txt files are always garbled text =/

Any help available for this? I don't recall ever having this issue in Windows 7. =/

Current version: Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

I've run into the exact same problem with DLsite files. I solved it by using Locale Emulator together with WinRAR or 7-zip. Strangely, the LE + WinRAR combo has sometimes failed to produce readable filenames. That is, with some archives, the extracted filenames still come out garbled. LE + 7-zip, however, has never failed me.

Note: LE only works with 32-bit exes.

If all else fails, extract your Dlsite archives in a VM running a JP version of Windows. That's what I used to do.

As for garbled text files, LE can probably help with that (but, again, the 32-bit limitation). Or you can use a text editor with the native ability to switch between character encodings. For example, EmEditor allows you to view files in any encoding (you'll usually want Shift-JIS).

I've run into the exact same problem with DLsite files. I solved it by using Locale Emulator together with WinRAR or 7-zip. Strangely, the LE + WinRAR combo has sometimes failed to produce readable filenames. That is, with some archives, the extracted filenames still come out garbled. LE + 7-zip, however, has never failed me.

Note: LE only works with 32-bit exes.

If all else fails, extract your Dlsite archives in a VM running a JP version of Windows. That's what I used to do.

As for garbled text files, LE can probably help with that (but, again, the 32-bit limitation). Or you can use a text editor with the native ability to switch between character encodings. For example, EmEditor allows you to view files in any encoding (you'll usually want Shift-JIS).

Hmmm.. Thanks I will give those a try and see if that works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Koskas wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hello, Could I please you update this game Yokai Art: Night Parade of One Hundred Demons to the new version v2.3.3?
prmx wrote on FlowerTradeWinds's profile.
can u reup RJ068000 pls
hc1992 wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
RJ404334 RJ01078356 links were dead, please could you reupload these?
breslan wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, can you please reupload this game?
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/010928-eelcom-detection.992689/
Thanks in advance.
nobis_c wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Sorry Ryzen, this one got updated too recently
ルルカと大魔導士のエロトラップダンジョン to v24.04.25