Getting a new laptop

Evdokia

Anime Researcher
Elite Member
Dec 14, 2013
You're welcome. If it's just a brightness/calibration issue, I doubt you'll need a new laptop. If it turns dim as DA mentioned, though, it may be early signs before dying. Though, if you use your laptop as desktop replacement (i.e. you don't need the mobility/portability), and other than the monitor the laptop is still otherwise fine, you may want to look into getting a cheap monitor.

Budget 1080p 22" monitors are pretty cheap nowadays; I don't know the price standards over there, but you may be able to get one below $100 (plus an additional $5 for the VGA cable or whatever connector you choose). This is getting a bit off-topic, though. :P

I took my laptop to a repair store and the told me that the inverter? or something like that is damaged and they wants 100 euros to change this inverter thing with a cable and and a new LCD Screen 15.6 1280x800 it's a very old panel they told me that it cost a lot to find the same. And the replacement for the panel is another 90 euros and all together plus 45 euros the money for the hours to repair the machine costs 235 euros i can buy an new laptop with that money! So it's time to graduate from my old hp.

i am looking for a new laptop now and my price range is up to 400 euros. I have found one that i like.

http://www.e-shop.gr/laptop-hp-15-b...a6-7310-8gb-128gb-ssd-windows-10-p-PER.901396

And i am awaiting also for Shishou to tell me his opinion about this machine.

My needs is always word excel power point the Blackboard from my university some photoshoping and some music internet browsing etch... i won't playing any games... but i remember Shishou saying to buy a machine with plenty of ram and with an SSD drive.

Reactions: Konstantinos
Re: SOTM#50 - March 2017

I took my laptop to a repair store and the told me that the inverter? or something like that is damaged and they wants 100 euros to change this inverter thing with a cable and and a new LCD Screen 15.6 1280x800 it's a very old panel they told me that it cost a lot to find the same. And the replacement for the panel is another 90 euros and all together plus 45 euros the money for the hours to repair the machine costs 235 euros i can buy an new laptop with that money! So it's time to graduate from my old hp.

i am looking for a new laptop now and my price range is up to 400 euros. I have found one that i like.

http://www.e-shop.gr/laptop-hp-15-b...a6-7310-8gb-128gb-ssd-windows-10-p-PER.901396

And i am awaiting also for Shishou to tell me his opinion about this machine.

My needs is always word excel power point the Blackboard from my university some photoshoping and some music internet browsing etch... i won't playing any games... but i remember Shishou saying to buy a machine with plenty of ram and with an SSD drive.

Seems decent in the first glance BUT the Shared Memory of the Graphics Card plus that it's an AMD Processor based machine i can't come to like them. But for the price range that you aiming it's definitely a good machine.

But anyway, i believe if we want to take further this conversation let's do it via VM or PM.

Seems decent in the first glance BUT the Shared Memory of the Graphics Card plus that it's an AMD Processor based machine i can't come to like them. But for the price range that you aiming it's definitely a good machine.

But anyway, i believe if we want to take further this conversation let's do it via VM or PM.

OK I will send a vm to both later.

[MENTION=2]Ignis[/MENTION]; & [MENTION=44312]Dark Angel[/MENTION]; I know it's off-topic that i will ask both of you, but please give me an option about this laptop. I will be going to Athens at Thursday and i might buy it from the store.

Thank you in advanced.

HP 15- ba037nv

AMD A10 P9600 2.4GHz
8GB Ram DDR4
256GB SSD
AMD R7 M440 2GB Dedicated Memory
Screen 15,6 1366x768px

Is it better than the other this one HP 15- ba071nd

Thank you,

I am very sorry for the off-topic.

[MENTION=2]Ignis[/MENTION]; & [MENTION=44312]Dark Angel[/MENTION]; I know it's off-topic that i will ask both of you, but please give me an option about this laptop. I will be going to Athens at Thursday and i might buy it from the store.

Thank you in advanced.

HP 15- ba037nv

AMD A10 P9600 2.4GHz
8GB Ram DDR4
256GB SSD
AMD R7 M440 2GB Dedicated Memory
Screen 15,6 1366x768px

Is it better than the other this one HP 15- ba071nd

Thank you,

I am very sorry for the off-topic.
I don't know about the price standards in Greece, but those laptops are overpriced. But more importantly: I really wouldn't recommend HP/Compaq laptops at all. HP is infamous for having overheating issues with its laptops. Seriously, just Google "HP laptop overheat" or similar words and you'll find plenty of stories about it.

My brands of choice would be ASUS, Acer or maybe Dell. ASUS and Acer are usually the best bang for your buck; however, they seem to have better batches of products in Asia than other regions (particularly North America), while Dell is usually more expensive (at least where I live).

A few years ago I would've recommended Lenovo as it's got solid products and a good hardware:price ratio, but the Superfish scandal made me sure I'll never buy another Lenovo product.

Also of note: depending on the price standards in your area, it can usually be cheaper to buy a laptop with a low RAM (but not necessarily low specs) then buying additional RAM yourself (e.g. getting a 4GB laptop, then buying 8 or 16GB of RAM yourself) rather than buying a laptop with 8GB as stock.

[MENTION=130212]Balsa[/MENTION]; I'll have to echo the others; yours is a magnificent entry, but the only semblance of a "white day" theme is that it features a good-looking guy :)

I don't know about the price standards in Greece, but those laptops are overpriced. But more importantly: I really wouldn't recommend HP/Compaq laptops at all. HP is infamous for having overheating issues with its laptops. Seriously, just Google "HP laptop overheat" or similar words and you'll find plenty of stories about it.

My brands of choice would be ASUS, Acer or maybe Dell. ASUS and Acer are usually the best bang for your buck; however, they seem to have better batches of products in Asia than other regions (particularly North America), while Dell is usually more expensive (at least where I live).

A few years ago I would've recommended Lenovo as it's got solid products and a good hardware:price ratio, but the Superfish scandal made me sure I'll never buy another Lenovo product.

Also of note: depending on the price standards in your area, it can usually be cheaper to buy a laptop with a low RAM (but not necessarily low specs) then buying additional RAM yourself (e.g. getting a 4GB laptop, then buying 8 or 16GB of RAM yourself) rather than buying a laptop with 8GB as stock.

This is the bare trute Ignis, The price here in Greece as you see is always high! I tried to help her out but the price range that she is looking for the cheapest choice in many stores are the HPs. I also hate them and also i hate even more the AMD because also the AMD in HPs laptop are also have even more overheating issues. But for this Price range that Evdokia is looking i cheap. At list to have some performance, because there are and some even more cheap machines but those don't have dedicated memory for their vgs and they use the stock intel HD 500 series, and all of them have a shared memory with the Ram.

Asus / Acer / Dell are the "Elite" brands and for the same specs that evi is Looking they want around 200-300 euros more of the price that you have seen up to now...

Anyway because we are adrift from the thread. If only Evi's house wasn't so small with those money i would defentetly build in order a small tower pc with monitor and it would be a great.

[MENTION=2]Ignis[/MENTION]; & [MENTION=44312]Dark Angel[/MENTION]; Asus / Acer / Dell are way out of my league! That's why i said to buy again HP/Compaq because the one i bought back at 2007 hp 1.7 GHz Centrino 2 GB Ram nvidia 7400 gs 128mb worked up to this day! Even as we speak i am typing through this machine, ok the panel gave up but for over 10 years that owned this machine i was so happy working with it. It did't have any problems. Well it was warm sometimes but it didn't have any serious issues.

That's why i am thinking buying again HP/Compaq.

And yes as Shishou said prices here in Greece are very high and we can't buy from amazon, bestgear, etch. Even if we bought an item from those stores the customs will have us to pay a penalty fee of the 24% tax of the original price of the item that we bought.

I moved our posts into a new thread so we don't have to worry about going off-topic anymore. Let me know if you'd like the thread title changed.

Asus / Acer / Dell are the "Elite" brands and for the same specs that evi is Looking they want around 200-300 euros more of the price that you have seen up to now...
Dell I can understand, but ASUS and Acer are "elite" brands? Really? They have a lot of budget laptops here...

At list to have some performance, because there are and some even more cheap machines but those don't have dedicated memory for their vgs and they use the stock intel HD 500 series, and all of them have a shared memory with the Ram.
Evi mentioned that she won't be using it for gaming, right? Basic office tasks don't require a standalone graphics card; however, it becomes complicated when you throw Photoshop into the equation.

Strictly speaking, a decent graphics card is only necessary if you do tasks that require processing, like denoising (Greycstoration, Topaz DeNoise, etc), but obviously, you'll be better off with a graphics card for doing graphics design. It's arguably even more important than an SSD.

[MENTION=2]Ignis[/MENTION]; & [MENTION=44312]Dark Angel[/MENTION]; Asus / Acer / Dell are way out of my league! That's why i said to buy again HP/Compaq because the one i bought back at 2007 hp 1.7 GHz Centrino 2 GB Ram nvidia 7400 gs 128mb worked up to this day! Even as we speak i am typing through this machine, ok the panel gave up but for over 10 years that owned this machine i was so happy working with it. It did't have any problems. Well it was warm sometimes but it didn't have any serious issues.

That's why i am thinking buying again HP/Compaq.
I see, good to hear. Of course not every single HP/Compaq laptop has overheating issues; it's just that stories of that happening are so common everywhere that you should be careful about that.

Anyway, I personally would no longer trust Lenovo, but they claimed that the Superfish adware was no longer being installed on Lenovo machines. If you're willing to take the risk, how about getting a Thinkpad? Hardware-wise, it's still solid, and the prices are decent.

Oh, also:
If only Evi's house wasn't so small with those money i would defentetly build in order a small tower pc with monitor and it would be a great.
Small, compact PCs with mini-ITX are getting less and less hipster. I'm thinking of building one myself, because my room isn't exactly big. There are a lot of mini-ITX cases on the market, and you can pack decent power into that small size.

You just need a monitor after that. As far as I can remember, the smallest 1920x1080 monitors I've seen are at 21.5", which aren't very big physically. Of course, there are plenty of smaller LCD screens, like 17" or even 15" if you really can't afford the physical space.

[MENTION=2]Ignis[/MENTION]; You are the best man! Also my self i made a small but powerful HTPC i bought a new tv for the living room so i made that small tool of destruction that's what i call it...

This is the configuration and it was very chip to made 315,34 Euro.

VGA Low Profile MSI GeForce GT730 4GB
Ram DDR3 6GB 2+4
CPU Intel Pentium G3258
Μητρική Κάρτα Gigabyte H81M-DS2
SSD Kingston V300 60GB

For the work that i am using it's powerful also i thought that an HTPC like this one should cover Evi's needs!
The only thing that i don't know is that if she wants to carry her computer everywhere so it's also and matters of mobility.

Hey thanks :) Yes, something like your HTPC would be good. While most people perhaps build HTPCs for home theatre uses, you can build something similar for daily needs. Just adjust the components to match your needs.

Personally, I'd go for a normal HDD instead of an SSD, especially if price standards in Greece are higher. If you want to save as much as you can, just get plenty of RAM (at least 8GB) and use your PC responsibly (don't install random programmes, etc). SSDs are fast, sure, but you have to consider whether the difference in prices is worth it. Overall, though, considering things there are overpriced, 315 EUR for that config isn't bad. It should be able to run games decently, too (just perhaps not the latest AAA).

The only thing that i don't know is that if she wants to carry her computer everywhere so it's also and matters of mobility.
Yeah, that's also a concern. Is Evi a student? If so, she'll almost certainly need a laptop anyway.

Hey thanks :) Yes, something like your HTPC would be good. While most people perhaps build HTPCs for home theatre uses, you can build something similar for daily needs. Just adjust the components to match your needs.

Personally, I'd go for a normal HDD instead of an SSD, especially if price standards in Greece are higher. If you want to save as much as you can, just get plenty of RAM (at least 8GB) and use your PC responsibly (don't install random programmes, etc). SSDs are fast, sure, but you have to consider whether the difference in prices is worth it. Overall, though, considering things there are overpriced, 315 EUR for that config isn't bad. It should be able to run games decently, too (just perhaps not the latest AAA).

Yeah, that's also a concern. Is Evi a student? If so, she'll almost certainly need a laptop anyway.

To be honest i would take the SSD over the Mechanical Driver always. Once you taste the sweet performance of an SSD you can't go back to a Mechanical Drive. Also it's and the heat! The mechanical Drives with 5400/5700/7200 RPMs are always making heat so the machine's temps are always rising. An SSD can dramatically stay cooler especially laptops. Example When i use to have a pare of Mechanical Drives at one laptop that i really loved working on it (and now Elli has it) was a Dell XPS x702L the palm-rest area around the mouse track was so damn hot that some warm days after 30 minutes you couldn't touch the palm-rest area. After installing a pare of 256 GB SSDs believe me this heat is gone forever even in the summer!

So i can't go back to a mechanical drive ever.

Even and without big Ram memory with an SSD installed the machine's performance is guaranteed!

To be honest i would take the SSD over the Mechanical Driver always. Once you taste the sweet performance of an SSD you can't go back to a Mechanical Drive. Also it's and the heat! The mechanical Drives with 5400/5700/7200 RPMs are always making heat so the machine's temps are always rising. An SSD can dramatically stay cooler especially laptops. Example When i use to have a pare of Mechanical Drives at one laptop that i really loved working on it (and now Elli has it) was a Dell XPS x702L the palm-rest area around the mouse track was so damn hot that some warm days after 30 minutes you couldn't touch the palm-rest area. After installing a pare of 256 GB SSDs believe me this heat is gone forever even in the summer!

So i can't go back to a mechanical drive ever.

Even and without big Ram memory with an SSD installed the machine's performance is guaranteed!

Edit : As i was looking around the stores i found some laptop that might interest you [MENTION=79545]Evdokia[/MENTION]; i found those offers for a few days at Public Stores also if you see they are many advertisements on TV and after watching those, i went to the store's site to find those machine and some of them are interesting and it's in your price range.

Lenovo Ideapad 110-15ACL - 15.6" (A6-7310/8GB/128GB/ R5 M430)
Laptop Lenovo 100-15IBD - 15.6" (i5-5200U/4GB/128GB/ 920MX)
Laptop Lenovo 100-15IBD - 15.6" (i5-5200U/8GB/128GB/ 920MX)

the Last Lenovo i believe is by far the best option in your price range Evi.

I am at University, I went to athens to give exams for the 3rd time a specific class that i failed to pass. Anyway i have a small house as D.A. said and because i don't know if i will move out or not, i would prefer to buy a laptop rather a small/mini pc. Because the laptop i can close the lid of screen and store the laptop in a drawer and free up space at my table to eat/read etch.

Edit : As i was looking around the stores i found some laptop that might interest you [MENTION=79545]Evdokia[/MENTION]; i found those offers for a few days at Public Stores also if you see they are many advertisements on TV and after watching those, i went to the store's site to find those machine and some of them are interesting and it's in your price range.

Lenovo Ideapad 110-15ACL - 15.6" (A6-7310/8GB/128GB/ R5 M430)
Laptop Lenovo 100-15IBD - 15.6" (i5-5200U/4GB/128GB/ 920MX)
Laptop Lenovo 100-15IBD - 15.6" (i5-5200U/8GB/128GB/ 920MX)

the Last Lenovo i believe is by far the best option in your price range Evi.

But you Shishou and Ignis told me that Lenovo was in the eye of a scandal... so i thought i souldn't look at them...
But i have to admit the last Lenovo seems powerful and it's in my price range!

I didn't have enough time to go at stores in Athens, if i am going to buy any laptop i will buy it online.

I am at University, I went to athens to give exams for the 3rd time a specific class that i failed to pass. Anyway i have a small house as D.A. said and because i don't know if i will move out or not, i would prefer to buy a laptop rather a small/mini pc. Because the laptop i can close the lid of screen and store the laptop in a drawer and free up space at my table to eat/read etch.

But you Shishou and Ignis told me that Lenovo was in the eye of a scandal... so i thought i souldn't look at them...

I didn't have enough time to go at stores in Athens, if i am going to buy any laptop i will buy it online.

About Lenovo, it's know that some specific Agency was installing a special firmware to spying/and provide special advertisements towards to their users. I don't know if the new Laptops o f Lenovo have this firmware and also i don't know if it'a a firmware somewhere installed in some parts of the BIOS? I believe only more specialized users can answer to those questions. But i don't believe that some one will want to hack your laptop and mostly you Evi.

But in the other hand you never know right? But those scenarios are very unlikely never to be happened at you!

Also from my side, it's better to buy a laptop based on Intel CPU. I don't know how good are the mobile solutions that AMD gives and i have had many bad memories with AMDs and i don't want you to risk with going with an AMD based laptop. The Intel i5 5200 with those 2 cores / 4 threads 2.3GHz is a very strong processor the light Photoshoping that you are doing your internet browsing the movies that you are watching the anime that you are downloading you will never find a way to take this processor to the maximum. Also and the nVidia 920MX with the 2GB Dedicate memory is a big plus! It will not have to spend resource the CPU while you are working with filters at photoshop, and not only at the photoshop but also and other programs as well.

And i am leaving for the end the matter of the 128GB of Hard Disk Space. Mostly you have an external disk, i am right? Use for backup anime mp3s the external disk that you have and leave alone without files or anything else the HD of the laptop. Well you can use and the laptop's Hard Disk but why to spend this space on files tha you won't use daily like the movies or the mp3's or the anime that you are watching. Keep your word file presentations whatever you have for your university at the laptops's hard drive (but also keep a copy as backup to the external drive plus and a usb stick) those are for more safety reasons.

Those are my advises and opinions from my side. I hope that i helped you.

To be honest i would take the SSD over the Mechanical Driver always. Once you taste the sweet performance of an SSD you can't go back to a Mechanical Drive. Also it's and the heat! The mechanical Drives with 5400/5700/7200 RPMs are always making heat so the machine's temps are always rising. An SSD can dramatically stay cooler especially laptops.
Two things:

1. The conventional wisdom is that SSDs consume less power than mechanical drives, and because they consume less power, they dissipate less heat. However, famed tech site Tom's Hardware did extensive testing and found that "battery runtimes do not increase when using flash based SSDs" and "most flash SSD products actually contribute to emptying your battery even faster".

2. Regardless of whether you use SSDs or conventional HDDs, in terms of laptop heat, drives are usually the least of your concern. CPU is the component whose temperature you need to keep in check first and foremost, followed by the GPU. Laptop components have higher tolerance than desktop, such that laptop CPUs can usually run at over 100°C for a little while before they overheat. However, that doesn't mean you should let your CPU go that wild. Drives, on the other hand, will usually stay at reasonable temps unless the laptop's ventilation is extremely poor (dust, etc) or the motherboard itself has overheating problems.

In the end, yes, I'm not going to deny SSDs are much more delicious than HDDs, and once you get a taste of SSDs you may never be able to go back to conventional HDDs. I just wanted to make sure Evi is fully informed before she decides on whether she'll get an SSD, an HDD, or a hybrid drive.

Here's what I know about Lenovo's Superfish scandal (this is going to be a bit long, so bear with me):

1. Lenovo was first busted for installing adware/spyware Superfish in February 2015. Security researchers and normal users alike revealed how Superfish was a big security risk, since it could intercept your connection to secure websites (emails, online banking, etc) by falsifying security certificates. It was later revealed that Lenovo had likely been installing Superfish on stock Windows that came with its laptops since October 2014.

2. When confronted about this, Lenovo insisted that Superfish wasn't a security risk, which was simply wrong. Lenovo maintained poor communication throughout the uproar, while users were sharing tips about revoking Superfish's fake security certificates, until Microsoft updated its Windows Defender to fully remove Superfish and destroy its fake security certificates. Lenovo stated that it was working together with Microsoft and McAfee to assist in cleaning Superfish.

3. However, half a year later, in August 2015, people at Hacker News began noticing how the BIOS (the firmware that sits at motherboard level, beneath your OS, usually inherent to the PC/laptop itself) in Lenovo's laptops would install Superfish on clean Windows installs. Previously, Superfish was thought to exist only at the OS level, such that reinstalling your OS fresh or removing it with anti-virus programmes (like Windows Defender, mentioned above) would clean it. Apparently, this was wrong.

4. The new discovery in August 2015 found out how Superfish could be present even on a fresh Windows install: the BIOS would replace a key component of Windows called autochk.exe with its own version, then this modified autochk.exe would put Lenovo's update components with full administrative rights in your system directory. It would then connect to Lenovo's servers and install Superfish.

Here's some reading if you'd like to know more. Some of these are extremely technical, however:

Techdirt: Lenovo In Denial: Insists There's No Security Problem With Superfish -- Which Is Very, Very Wrong.
Techdirt: Superfish Keeps Digging Deeper And Deeper Hole: Still Refuses To Acknowledge Seriousness Of What Its Software Did
Techdirt: Thought Komodia/Superfish Bug Was Really, Really Bad? It's Much, Much Worse!
Reddit: anyone want to share a script that checks for the presence of the Superfish cert?
Errata Security: Extracting the SuperFish certificate
PCWorld: Bravo! Windows Defender, McAfee updates fully remove Lenovo's dangerous Superfish adware
Hacker News: Lenovo is now using rootkit-like techniques to install their software on CLEAN Windows installs

The summary: what Lenovo did tarnished its brand name. It was unethical, stupid, and put people in serious security risks. It employed techniques commonly used by malware purveyors and malicious hackers. It didn't acknowledge its mistake even after it was busted and shamed, and repeated it later. Personally, I used to like Lenovo (especially its ThinkPads), but now I can't trust them anymore. I won't buy their products anymore.

However, after they got busted for it again in August 2015, they claimed that they'd stopped doing Superfish installs since June 2015. That means you only have to avoid Lenovo laptops released between October 2014 and June 2015. If you're willing to believe them, then yes, they're a good choice. The laptops DA linked are good. They still rank high in terms of hardware:price ratio.

Also from my side, it's better to buy a laptop based on Intel CPU. I don't know how good are the mobile solutions that AMD gives and i have had many bad memories with AMDs and i don't want you to risk with going with an AMD based laptop.
AMD isn't inherently bad, but I'll have to agree here: if you want to have a smooth ride with your laptop, with the best compatibility and no issues, I suggest buying a laptop with an Intel CPU and nVidia graphics card. However, best avoid using a laptop with an nVidia graphics card if you have Win7.

nVidia has a technology called Optimus on its laptop graphics card, meant to help save battery by switching between the nVidia card and integrated graphics depending on its needs. Sadly, this often results in graphics-heavy programmes like games not properly using the graphics card and relying on integrated graphics instead. You can force a game or app to use the graphics card, but in my experience, this often doesn't work properly with 64-bit programmes on Win7. Win8 and up should be fine.

Two things:

1. The conventional wisdom is that SSDs consume less power than mechanical drives, and because they consume less power, they dissipate less heat. However, famed tech site Tom's Hardware did extensive testing and found that "battery runtimes do not increase when using flash based SSDs" and "most flash SSD products actually contribute to emptying your battery even faster".

2. Regardless of whether you use SSDs or conventional HDDs, in terms of laptop heat, drives are usually the least of your concern. CPU is the component whose temperature you need to keep in check first and foremost, followed by the GPU. Laptop components have higher tolerance than desktop, such that laptop CPUs can usually run at over 100°C for a little while before they overheat. However, that doesn't mean you should let your CPU go that wild. Drives, on the other hand, will usually stay at reasonable temps unless the laptop's ventilation is extremely poor (dust, etc) or the motherboard itself has overheating problems.

In the end, yes, I'm not going to deny SSDs are much more delicious than HDDs, and once you get a taste of SSDs you may never be able to go back to conventional HDDs. I just wanted to make sure Evi is fully informed before she decides on whether she'll get an SSD, an HDD, or a hybrid drive.

It's interesting but i don't believe the most tests from many sites. My real life experience seems a bit different but i can't also deny the tests. In my experience many times while working with a specific laptop i see a small difference of only 10 - 15 not big deal compare to the mechanical drive that it used to have, but even so those 10 - 15 minutes minutes where crucial. I don't know in the long term how my battery will go and i don't know after some cycles my battery's condition will be.

I am agree in everything that you said of the heat source that is the CPU & GPU but even so, if you reduce a little bit the heat even from the Hard Disk Replacement to an SSD that doesn't rise temperature, will only do good to the whole system generally. Well if you are a technician or you know how to do it, it's given to say that someone will replace the thermal conductor paste with a better one i did that my Dell x702L Day one i bought it my technician on call for our office took the laptop and replaced all the thermal conductor paste and i was amazed to see in some areas the didn't even apply conductor paste on them!! terrible and it was a high priced Dell.
Also this Dell was came with the i7-2860QM 2.5GHz & 16GB DDR-3 1066MHz & nVidia 555 Dedicated 3 GB and because that laptop came with the nVidia 3D Vision System with 3D Glasses, the system from factory was always disabled the HD-Intel 3000 VGA chip that was included in the CPU and it wasn't able to have the Optimus mechanism/system? because all the nVidia 3D Vision system disables the Optimus things and doesn't allowed to work the HD-Intel 3000 VGA.
Here is an article for my Laptop Dell x702L but with smaller CPU and Ram.
After changing also the mechanical hard disks to SSDs the temperature at the palm rest became so cooler and even the whole chassis of the system feels cooler too!
This machine it was my partner until 2013 that i bought an Alienware M18 R2 with i7-3820QM a CrossFire 2x Radeon HD 7970M and 32GB and 18" Inches Screen (yeah back then i was into playing GTA V & Battlefied & Crysis) This is what i am still using up to those days. Here is an article. Not to mention this machine was offered 3 Hard Disks and you can have and a 3 way Raid if you wanted too!

Anyway we went to far. And i become passionate when it come to the technician staff thought i don't know to fix them.

In the end it's on [MENTION=79545]Evdokia[/MENTION];'s mind of what to choose she read the whole thing about the scandal of Lenovo. If she wants to buy a Lenovo i strongly believe the last option with 8GB Ram & 128GB SSD is the best combination.

[MENTION=2]Ignis[/MENTION]; I don't know if i am wrong but for safety reasons isn't there any possible way to upgrade the bios of this Laptop with a hacked version that it's clean from superfish and it doesn't allowed the system to connect at lenovo's servers?

But there is also and a chance that this laptop is definitely a newer model 2016, so it might also not to have anything "weird" installed at it's bios...?

[MENTION=2]Ignis[/MENTION]; & [MENTION=44312]Dark Angel[/MENTION]; Thank you both, i don't know very well Lenovo but many people are talking very brightly and my self i am amazed with their prices and the specs that they offer. I want to buy the last combination that Shishou is suggesting but i am afraid of this "superfish" thing. Is there any possible way to know if this new machine will have it? How i can check it before buying it? And let's just said that i bought it, where i can see or with what way i can search test my machine to see if this thing is installed?

I don't know. But i must admit that machine is very appealing to me.

[MENTION=44312]Dark Angel[/MENTION]; I have 2-3 WD My Passport 2.5" External Disks all of them are at 1,5TB you know for backup / anime / mp3s / movies and many many many documents psd files photos etch... So this thing not to have many files like the one mentioned i am doing it even now at my old laptop. I am never having them at the hard disk of my current machine.

Also Flash News my WiFi card from my laptop isn't working any more. Good news with 2,5 euros i bought a yellow cable that looks like a bigger telephone clips and i am having connected my rooter with this cable. Great!!!

If i will buy this Lenovo, can i do a clean install of Windows 7; I kind don't like the Windows 10 and i hate even more the Windows 8-8.1

Also if i spend 56 Euros more at 556 euros (total) How does it looks this HP ProBook 655 compare to the Lenovo?

Here are the specks
AMD PRO A10-8700B 1.8GHz up 3.2GHz?
Ram 8GB
SSD 256GB
AMD Radeon R6
Full HD 1920x1080
Windows 7 Professional
2.3KG

It seems very promising but i don't know About the AMD thing that Shishou is saying that isn't good!

Also i found and this Asus Vibobook R540YA-DM181T

Here are the specks
AMD A8-7410 2.20GHz up to 2.50GHz
Ram 8GB
SSD 512GB
AMD Radeon R5
Full HD 1920x1080
Windows 10
2 KG

Also how is this machine compare to the Lenovo? Is it worth the 80 euros more?

My price range was restricted to 500 euros total. But if there is a chance to buy a good machine with a bit higher price like those 2 i can do something and buy them.
But i want you both from your hearts are those two machine worth those extra money? Or i should stick with Shishou's Lenovo suggestion?

Also i can't find anywhere if those two laptops have separate memory for their graphics card or they use from the Ram of the system.
Anyway i know i have been to both of you a big big big big burden but please your opinions are crucial in this matter. I don't want to make any mistake, and i want to spend this money in the best possible way for a laptop in this price range.

Thank you!

Also if i spend 56 Euros more at 556 euros (total) How does it looks this HP ProBook 655 compare to the Lenovo?

Here are the specks
AMD PRO A10-8700B 1.8GHz up 3.2GHz?
Ram 8GB
SSD 256GB
AMD Radeon R6
Full HD 1920x1080
Windows 7 Professional
2.3KG

It seems very promising but i don't know About the AMD thing that Shishou is saying that isn't good!

Also i found and this Asus Vibobook R540YA-DM181T

Here are the specks
AMD A8-7410 2.20GHz up to 2.50GHz
Ram 8GB
SSD 512GB
AMD Radeon R5
Full HD 1920x1080
Windows 10
2 KG

Both looks very good the only that pains me is that they are AMD based CPUs i don't mind having an AMD VGA but the CPU's of her it's something that i am not getting along with. Also both machines have A Shared Memory for the VGA AMD Radeon R5 & R6.

So i went to look up for those two laptops, i will start with HP first and then with Asus.

The HP AMD Radeon that is included into the processor AMD PRO A10-8700B explains here and also here is another review for this specific HP ProBook G655 G2 As you will see here as a stand alone the GPU has already a 512 MB if and only there is only one memory dimm installed on the Laptop. And in a case that the Laptop will take a second dimm (more ram) will share some part of the ram of the system... That's a nice deal.
Also seems the AMD A10-8700B isn't as bad i think that it might be... Another review about the processor here and his scores isn't that bad for this price range...

Now for the ASUS as far i see the AMD A8-7410 2.20GHz ~ 2.50GHz seems pretty good for it's price. Basically it's the same story the Processor with the VGA as the HP's. But if you compare theA10-8700B from HP to Asus's A8-7410you see that Asus's CPU is way behind the HP's... In the other hand Asus has a 512GB SSD that a very good thing compare to HP's 256GB SSD Drive.

Also here is Compare AMD A8-7410 vs AMD A10-8700 and to the Intel i5 500U Of Lenovo's

As you see in any test the A8-7410 falls back against to A10-8700. But the clear Winner is the i5 500U.

It's pretty difficult to choose... If it was in turns of Luxury nice exterior material and a Combination of good CPU Performance and Graphics and moderate HDD Space and has an Full HD Screen 1920x1080p i would go straight way to the HP no questions asked...
If it was for Raw Power and performance and i didn't care so match for the external look and the materials (plastic) or the HD-Ready 1366x768p screen i would choose the Lenovo.
As for the Asus... Well the CPU is really giving me a hard time to select it. But the Looks of the exterior the 512GB SSD would make me to buy t? It has the same screen as the HP a Full HD 1920x1080p it's unquestionable a good laptop at this price range... but i can't come to like it's processor, it falls way back from HP's...

Evi i can't decide to tell you what you should buy not that, i don't have also clear mind as we speak. But in my eyes the laptop that (has everything and not excels in anything) is the HP.

It would better to hear and [MENTION=2]Ignis[/MENTION];-san opinion. He has more knowledge and has better ways to explain things better than me.

Apologies for the late reply. I had internet problems.
[MENTION=79545]Evdokia[/MENTION];

Is there any possible way to know if this new machine will have it? How i can check it before buying it? And let's just said that i bought it, where i can see or with what way i can search test my machine to see if this thing is installed?
There's only one way to make sure if a Lenovo laptop has Superfish before buying it. Look up the model and see when it was officially released by Lenovo. If it's not between October 2014 and June 2015 (December 2015, for example), it should be safe. Otherwise, you need to actually have the laptop first with Windows installed. Go to C:\Windows\System32 and see if there's any file named LenovoUpdate.exe or LenovoCheck.exe. If you find them, that means the laptop has Superfish.

If you have advanced networking knowledge (or are willing to try things out), you can use tools like Wireshark to monitor and analyse your network connections for anything suspicious. You can also use a tool called Resource Monitor that already comes with Windows by opening start menu, typing perfmon /res in the search bar, then pressing enter. Resource Monitor has a network monitoring tab that you can use to see if anything tries to connect to Lenovo's servers.

If i will buy this Lenovo, can i do a clean install of Windows 7; I kind don't like the Windows 10 and i hate even more the Windows 8-8.1
Provided you know how to install Windows from scratch, yes, you should be able to. Make sure to do an actual clean install: boot into BIOS, wipe out the entire hard drive partition, repartition it as you need, then install your Windows of choice. If you can get an empty laptop (with no OS whatsoever installed; they're usually kind of grey area items) that's even better as you can save some money.

My price range was restricted to 500 euros total. But if there is a chance to buy a good machine with a bit higher price like those 2 i can do something and buy them.
But i want you both from your hearts are those two machine worth those extra money? Or i should stick with Shishou's Lenovo suggestion?
I personally think the Lenovo laptops DA linked earlier are better. As DA mentioned in his post, the graphics cards in those HP and ASUS laptops you linked use shared memory, and as far as I know, AMD Radeon R5/R6 is integrated graphics instead of a dedicated GPU. That's probably what makes the prices relatively cheap, but on the other hand, the HP laptop has a 256GB SSD and the AMD one has a 512GB one.

In other words, the cost distribution is stupid. You get a large SSD, which jacks up the price considerably, but not a dedicated GPU and only integrated graphics, which makes the price lower. This means that the bulk of what you'll pay goes to the SSD. Since you have a limited budget, if you want an SSD but you don't game, 128GB should be enough to put programmes you use everyday. The rest of the money can be allocated for a laptop with a dedicated GPU.

Oh, lastly, avoid buying computers with "up to" claims, especially with regards to CPUs. They can be misleading by referring to "burst" (short periods in which a CPU executes instructions) or even overclocking. If a seller says the speed of a CPU they're selling is "2 GHz up to 3 GHz", that likely means you won't get close to 3 GHz most of the time.

[MENTION=44312]Dark Angel[/MENTION];

It's interesting but i don't believe the most tests from many sites. My real life experience seems a bit different but i can't also deny the tests. In my experience many times while working with a specific laptop i see a small difference of only 10 - 15 not big deal compare to the mechanical drive that it used to have, but even so those 10 - 15 minutes minutes where crucial.
Fair enough, but the methods are explained. Your experience is valid, of course, but also anecdotal and may differ from others. That's the thing about benchmarking: you try to get results are as accurate as possible by making sure that every test is done in an identical environment and conditions. If computer A with a 7200 RPM HDD is used for browsing the internet, and computer B with an SSD is used for gaming, the SSD in computer B may be hotter.

Is this because SSDs are inherently easier to get hot than conventional HDDs? Maybe yes, maybe no. It could mean that, or it could mean that in computer B, gaming heats up the CPU and GPU, making the motherboard hotter and by extension the SSD. In other words, anecdotal measurements are likely inaccurate. (That's the short version of it, anyway. But your post provides a range of nice citations. :))

@Ignis; I don't know if i am wrong but for safety reasons isn't there any possible way to upgrade the bios of this Laptop with a hacked version that it's clean from superfish and it doesn't allowed the system to connect at lenovo's servers?

But there is also and a chance that this laptop is definitely a newer model 2016, so it might also not to have anything "weird" installed at it's bios...?
Yes, but it's by no means simple. Unless you can afford the time, skill and risk, it's much better to just avoid Lenovo altogether if you're worried about Superfish. Check out Libreboot. I'll admit that I've never used it myself, though, so I can't help much with that.

But yes, as I mentioned, according to Lenovo itself, Superfish only existed on laptops released between October 2014 and June 2015. Newer laptops are hopefully safe.

[MENTION=2]Ignis[/MENTION]; & [MENTION=44312]Dark Angel[/MENTION]; once again i thank you both from my heart. Also i have some nice news. I told my parents for the problem with my laptop and that i am in searc for a new one, and my father will also give some extra money around 250-300 euros as a present. And i am thinking to look at a different higher price range now. I will try to buy one that it will last me around the same years just like my older hp that i am typing from this as we speak.

So the final Price Range will be around 750-800 euros. And i will also going into Public Stores & Plasio Stores & e-shop to see some laptops in the stores at the weekend.

Also there is one more store that take every kind of laptop without limit the age of the laptop and give around 50-100 euros discount. I think this must be a Chain of Kotsovolos stores or Media Markt? I can't remember i will see later that i will have more free time.

So now keep in mind until the end of the Friday - Saturday to find a nice machine. Please post here if you think any machine that is good in this price range.

Thank you both!

[MENTION=79545]Evdokia[/MENTION]; That's good to hear :)

I measure computer hardware prices by North American standards, so they may be more expensive over there. I'm looking at items in lower ranges starting from around US$700 or €650, use XE.com to convert to EUR. See if anything strikes your fancy.

There are also a lot of "hybrid" tablets (the kind that you can be converted between being a laptop and a tablet) at that price range if you like them (I don't recommend them, though). There are more on the $700 - $800 range Amazon page, including an option to choose between Win7 and Win10. Win7 laptops may be more expensive in terms of hardware:price ratio nowadays.

[MENTION=79545]Evdokia[/MENTION]; That's good to hear :)

I measure computer hardware prices by North American standards, so they may be more expensive over there. I'm looking at items in lower ranges starting from around US$700 or €650, use XE.com to convert to EUR. See if anything strikes your fancy.

There are also a lot of "hybrid" tablets (the kind that you can be converted between being a laptop and a tablet) at that price range if you like them (I don't recommend them, though). There are more on the $700 - $800 range Amazon page, including an option to choose between Win7 and Win10. Win7 laptops may be more expensive in terms of hardware:price ratio nowadays.

Those are amazing prices but i doubt that they will be priced the same in Greece. And if any of us will bough something from amazon or ebay or from any other country we have problems with our customs. We have to pay a tax fee are 24% the price of the same product that is been selling to a Greek stores. And many times some of those electronics they might blocked at the customs just as what happened with me back in the days when the 1st Gen iPad was released and it was never imported in Greece. And i had so big problem to get passed from the customs and man... i payed the double price as if i bought two iPad rather one to take my iPad from the customs office.

The only way to buy something from US or another country is to have someone that lives there, unpack the machine without the original packaging then put into the suitcase to pass as a personal item of the traveler from the customs. In any other case you have to pay the fee... Yeah i know we are so f@#keD with our laws...

[MENTION=2]Ignis[/MENTION]; i found some awesome Dell machines but they are cheap because they have setup and sold with Linux. Can those Linux to fromat them and have installed whatever windows [MENTION=79545]Evdokia[/MENTION]; likes? Because the giving them with very good hardware and very good specs but i don't know what happens with the linux settings or has anything to do with other more perplexed settings like bios settings etch... So if it's possible can she buy any of them and then format the disk without having problems?

[MENTION=79545]Evdokia[/MENTION]; & [MENTION=2]Ignis[/MENTION]; Look those machines...

Those are Linux Pre-Installed OS

Dell Inspiron 5559 (i7-6500U/8GB/256GB/Radeon R5 M335/FHD/Linux)
Dell Inspiron 5567 (i7-7500U/8GB/256GB/Radeon R7 M445/FHD/Linux)
Acer Aspire F5-573G-71SH (i7-7500U/8GB/256GB/GeForce GTX 950M/FHD/Linux)

This one with out OS - So you can choose whatever OS you like Windws 7 - 8 - 10 Linux?

HP ProBook 450 G4 (i5-7200U/8GB/1TB + 128GB/GeForce 930MX/FHD/No OS

Windows 10 Pre-Installed OS

Dell Vostro 3568 (i5-7200U/8GB/256GB/Radeon R5 M420/FHD/W10)
Lenovo IdeaPad 510-15ISK (i5-6200U/8GB/256GB/GeForce 940MX/FHD/W10)

Anyway those machines i see them to met my own tastes i believe it's a must have at 2017 year a Full HD screen at your laptop. and if memory serves well the Lenovo and Dell machines wears IPS Panels in other word you can see the colors of the screen in any angle you can.

Well i am very glad that your parents will help you. Really i felt way better with those results!

The good thing Evi, is that some of the stores that i send you is taking back your old laptop but not all of them gives the big Discount like Media Markt & Kotsovolos chain stores.
The Public Stores and Plaisio stores they only make the discount of 50 euros by only if you paid via credit card or installments.
And you can give at Ioannina there is a specific store that buy old electronics tvs laptop that is taking for recycle. You can sell your laptop at this store for about 50 up maximum 100 euros depends on the year how much was wear-off the machine is. but even the 50 euros if you take from selling at them your old laptop it might help you to rise more the price target for your new laptop.

Here is an example of what you can buy at 850 euros. (the worst case scenario that you sold for 50 euros the old laptop)
Lenovo Y50-70 (i7-4720HQ/8GB/256GB/GeForce GTΧ960M/FHD/W8)

I will search to see which of those stores are close enough at radius from 50-150km from your home. The most close is Ioannina so you have an idea for he distance and the time you need.

Those are amazing prices but i doubt that they will be priced the same in Greece. And if any of us will bough something from amazon or ebay or from any other country we have problems with our customs. We have to pay a tax fee are 24% the price of the same product that is been selling to a Greek stores.
Yes, I understand. I've been through that myself two times when I had to import electronics with exorbitant import taxes. Regarding the price difference, well, that's where you chime in, since I don't speak Greek and can't recommend local store links to Evi :)

[MENTION=2]Ignis[/MENTION]; i found some awesome Dell machines but they are cheap because they have setup and sold with Linux. Can those Linux to fromat them and have installed whatever windows [MENTION=79545]Evdokia[/MENTION]; likes? Because the giving them with very good hardware and very good specs but i don't know what happens with the linux settings or has anything to do with other more perplexed settings like bios settings etch... So if it's possible can she buy any of them and then format the disk without having problems?
It should be possible, yes. I purposely didn't try to look for laptops with preinstalled Linux just in case Evi would rather have a laptop she could use right out of the box. If a laptop comes with Linux, that's better, because the price doesn't get inflated by Windows. You'll have to work with the BIOS, so you need your Windows installer on a DVD or something. Make sure to wipe out the entire disk partition so the Linux MBR (master boot record) gets erased as well.

i believe it's a must have at 2017 year a Full HD screen at your laptop.
That's a matter of taste, I guess. I'm personally fine with lower resolutions like 1366x768 on my laptop, because the screen is physically small compared to desktop monitors, and 1080p on 15" displays makes things look so compact.

Of the laptops you linked, I think I'd pick the Lenovo with preinstalled Linux (setting aside my distrust for the brand). The HP ProBook is nice in that it has no OS (although I still wouldn't recommend HP for reasons I've stated before), but it's comparatively too expensive for a laptop that doesn't come with anything preinstalled and a 128GB SSD. Perhaps the 1TB HDD makes it expensive. If Evi is fine with installing Windows on her own, maybe some other OS-less laptops that are more price-efficient would be good?

At last i am done with the disconnections / reconnections of my ISP change from Wind to Vodafone at last i am at Vodafone as we speak the first post from the new ISP. I hope that i will have a happy internet browsing experience.

[MENTION=2]Ignis[/MENTION]; I understand what i should do in the case that Evi will buy a Laptop with pre-installed Linux and need help to install windows! Many thanks for the tip!

Also i found this Store [MENTION=79545]Evdokia[/MENTION]; They buy ASAP your laptop in any condition even if it's totally broken screen or broken plastics with the minimum price of 70 Euros. Contact them. Also they have Sotres in Athens, Thessalonikh, Ioannina, Patra. So if you go at Ioannina to buy laptop from the stores that i Linked in the previous post go also and sell for recycle your laptop at their store! I believe you laptop will worth a bit more than 70 euros. This will help you to go into a higher price range laptop.

Also one more laptop with no OS.
Asus K550VX-DM026D (i5-6300HQ/8GB/256GB/GeForce GTX 950M/FHD/No OS)

This one here has also a Quad Core Processor it's definitely a good machine!

In the case that you sell successfully your laptop here are some laptops Between 850-870 euros.

Lenovo Y50-70 (i7-4720HQ/8GB/256GB/GeForce GTΧ960M/FHD/W8)
Lenovo IdeaPad 510-15ISK (i7-6500U/8GB/256GB/GeForce 940MX/FHD/W10)

But in my Eyes even without going into the 870 euros price range that Lenovo Y50-70 (i7-4720HQ/8GB/256GB/GeForce GTΧ960M/FHD/W8) at 859 euros i believe this machine is the best choice. You might think that it's processor seems old? i7-4720HQ but in reality is a real Quad Core processor all the other i5-6300U or i7-7500U (the U) is for lower power consumption models and they are a dual core processors. Don't get me wrong and those processors are to damn fast but they can't compare with a real Quad Core like the i&-4720HQ. And that specific laptop it's the Gamer's Line of Lenovo so i believe it's way more better build than the more cheaper series.

If you need anything else post here.

[MENTION=2]Ignis[/MENTION]; & [MENTION=44312]Dark Angel[/MENTION]; I see all the laptops carefully. And i come to conclusion that i won't buy a Linux based / pre-installed laptop. Also I will not buy a laptop without os because the money that i will pay to someone to install a copy of windows is near the same. So it's better to buy an already pre-installed windows based laptop.

Also, [MENTION=44312]Dark Angel[/MENTION]; i called to the recycling store that you mentioned and as it seems that they can buy my laptop but it's not worth more than 70 euros as you might thought. But that ain't matters. No that i can sell and earn those 70 euros are enough to cover a small portion of the price difference. Anyway i made an appointment at their store at 11:45 am at Ioannina to give my laptop. And afterward i will head to the stores to see in close the laptops of your links.

The Gamer's Laptop the last lenovo seems very nice and i done a small research this laptop has red leds under the keyboard so nice and i like it. Also i read somewhere that the software of this laptop has an option to change the color of leds so imagine a nice pink... Keep dreaming my foolish self of a full pinky colored laptop...
[MENTION=2]Ignis[/MENTION]; i am very grateful for helping me out as well! Also your guidance and the way you explain things and the patience that you have to write and explain so many things are out of this world!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

nobis_c wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
Just a heads up, you might want to prepare to update this soon. It suffers from no-progress bug that is currently under rapid debugging.
Scheduled to be fixed on May 1st at 22:00 JST.
聖騎士リアナ
ballball1110 wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi these link were dead,could you please reupload these?
[200816][はーとこれくと] 【逆痴漢電車】イケないことしてア・ゲ・ル~藍川栞 編~ [RJ293748]
ballball1110 wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
Hi these link were dead,could you please reupload these?
[200918][知恵の実] 後輩日菜の誘惑キャンプ♪ 大自然の中で朝まで汗だくナマエッチ【KU100】【電車の音 川の音 虫の音 超臨場感フォーリー】 [RJ298895]
[201101][知恵の実] 何って?彼氏とエッチする時のイメトレだよ!!-幼馴染の妹が突然やってきては、僕をエッチの練習台にしたがる件-【KU100ハイレゾ】 [RJ304879]
dfree wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Saw you posted this recently. Do you have any other works by Snow3d (such as https://fantia.jp/products/545063) that you don't mind sharing as well?