Dubbed vs Undubbed?

Dubbed or Undubbed?

• Total voters
I apologize for reviving a dead thread. This is just a topic that personally find interesting. I find it especially interesting, since some of the people who I "discussed" this with seem to get offended by my answer. To a point where "discussing" this topic almost got me into a few fist fights.

When I was younger, I used to watch all television with captions. The volume of the television had to be kept low, so that I won't wake anyone up. Because of that,it didn't matter to me whether something was dubbed or subbed. I am also a very fast reader, so, it didn't bother me when I have to peek at the captions or subtitles, and then return to the show. As I got older, I no longer had to worry about waking people up (although I can still watch things without volume, but with captions). On top of that, in the early 90's, there was a French(??) claymation film (I forgot the title, and yes, I like foreign films, too) that I saw subtitled. Since this was more than 20 years ago, I don't remember much from that film, but I do remember liking it a lot. That was until I saw the film dubbed. After I saw it dubbed, I realized just how much of the dialog I missed from reading subtitles. From that point on, I understood the movie better, and I appreciated the subtleties of the movie a lot more then just watching the movie subtitled. After watching that movie dubbed, I would still watch things subbed, but only if there was no dubbed version. I still watch live action foreign films with subtitles. However, stop motion films and animes I strongly prefer to watch dubbed, to a point where I lose interest if it's subbed. This is because I feel cheated out of the dialog if I watch it subbed.

i'm fine with either, and i honestly don't understand why it's an issue. i usually like undubbed a little better. i end up learning a few words or so, which is nice, but i don't have the attention span to focus on it the whole time, that's why i like dubbed anime too

Depends on the dub or sub really... I've seen great and shit in both...

sometimes even dubs that are well done end up not doing it for me tho... like how Funimation does pretty good dubs but they seem to use the same exact VOs every single time which ruins it for me... then again I've seen a few shows where the original Japanese VO's are just plain shit or flat out annoying to the point no matter how good the sub is I'd still almost prefer an Animax dub

Reactions: uenchuceli
Let me udder some blasphemies. I'm an Evil, no good, dubbed watcher. My eyes like to watch the show. Focusing at the bottom of the screen, reading, I'm missing out. I've watched subbed shows in the past. Yes, the voice acting has passion. However, they might as well be speaking like Charlie Brown's parents. Why? I don't understand a word. Dual audio files are a God-sent. I'm more likely to find what I'm looking for among all of those sub purest files. My main issue... I need to find a dubbed release date list. All of you closet dubbed watchers, stand up. Enjoy your anime. If we wanted to read, we would have the manga instead. LOL End of blasphemies.

Okay, so I would have to go with dubbed, only because I'm an English speaker...eh...not really the only reason but what ever. I personally think that the American Anime Industry should try to find new and fresh talented Voice actor/actors cause I'm getting pretty darn tired of hearing Vic's voice for about 90% of all dubbed anime. Greg isn't so bad I actually think that if they both were to create a new persona in their voices that they would actually be better for it. I am sure all of us in this community forum would have to agree, that hearing the same tired voice for our favorite characters of manga that turn into an anime it gets pretty inexcusable. I personally believe that guy voice actors who have been doing one voice their entire life need to change it up and try something completely edgy. I do still believe the the American Industry should get more rights to animes so that the US can have more veraity in anime.

Too put it blundly if it's dubbed it sounds very very very horrible and in my opinion they just drill the anime or live serie into the ground and ruin the name of it.

It depends, in our country our dubbers are actually pretty good. The only thing that irks me is that when the channel promotes their new starlet as voice cast and ruins everything. Sometimes they fail to put back sound effects.

Dubbed for me..... I don't like reading subs and like the American Voices over Japanese Voices and language.

Subtitles & Original Audio (Japanese) or Just Raw (Japanese Audio no Subtitles)

I voted for un-dubbed ........ give it to me in Japanese with subtitles

even though I am a native English speaker (born American) ... I cant stand most all of the dubbing ... sadly too many of the dubbing voice actors read their lines like they are sooooooooooooooooooo bored and are only doing it for the paycheck ... that and some are hideously "wrong" for the character they are doing, they dont even sound close to the Japanese character voice

Japanese voice actors/actresses are masters of their craft

... sadly most all of the English dubbing voice actors are a pathetic joke at their craft

Dubbing is getting better. I'm a fan of Dual Audio to give a choice. A major drawback in English dubs, is the use of the same actors / actresses over and over again. They demand more money, and that's passed onto the consumer. Fresh blood with some training would work wonders.

I watch everything dubbed, but man oh man am I getting sick of the same voices, so I'm starting to go with subs now

i like raw, more than dubbed, but i also like subbed more that raw than less than dubbed. because dubbed can sometimes get the translation wrong.

Clannad just got licensed here in germany,saw the first episode (dub) and it is (as expected) horrible !
i never liked dubbed anime,it should be watched raw or subbed (subs can be horrible too though)

We had some pretty good dubs for old anime (like Yuu Yuu Hakusho or InuYasha) back in the days, but now I prefer the original voice not just for anime, but for anything else as well. Since I'm seiyuu fan, that doubles the thing :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

darkpachon wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
sorry can you upload again [110128] [Studio 邪恋] 操心術0 パッケージ版 is that the links are down
darkpachon wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
sorry can you upload again

[121130][STUDIO邪恋] 操心術∞(メビウス)

the links are down
umi131 wrote on Shine's profile.
request
can you upload this?

男装王子様系女子は爆乳爆尻マゾ娘っ♪
https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01166080.html/?locale=pt_BR
When you adopt a puppy from Hickory Ridge Goldens, you are not just getting a pet; you are becoming part of our extended family. We are dedicated to maintaining a lifelong relationship with our puppy owners, offering guidance and support as needed.
Jagger051 wrote on Esan's profile.

[Japanese] [160930][デジタルGパワー] 不幸な母さんとしあわせラブラブ生活

Links Broken, re-upload please