Dubbed vs Undubbed?

Dubbed or Undubbed?

• Total voters
I go for undubbed, all the way.
Even if that mean I watch the series without sub and not understanding what the characters are talking about.
But once a while, you tend to get what they're meant, though you don't really know what their mean actually.

On other note, I found dubbed version of Mahou Shotengai Abenobashi(Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi) is quite good to listen to. They use Southern(US) accent to relate with the Kansai accent, where the location of the anime took place. And the voice actors/actress of the dubbed version sure put their heart into their characters.

it figures.
no one voted for the dubbed

voted for undubbed. love the voice of the seiyu. there's a lot of feeling in their words. i don't mind reading the subtitle as long as i can enjoy their voices. :happy:

it's the old way of putting spoilers xp.

it hurts my ears hearing other dubs. nothings better in life than hearing those sweet moe voices.

epic fail of spoiler.

definitely undubbed, even if the dubbed one is decent enough for the ears.

I once walked into an anime store in DC and walked right back out because they were selling dubbed anime.
WHY?!

I know some weeaboos can't handle the Japanese, but I think they should go learn Japanese first in that case.
As for myself, I watch both subbed and raw anime, but prefer Korean-subbed since it makes a lot more sense than English subbed ones.

Undubbed plain and simple. I absolutely loathe dubbing and I will avoid it as well as groups known for dual audio releases, unless they are the only one with the release of an anime I want to watch.

Undubbed Definitely!

Its The original
And dubbed sounds sometimes Weird to me dunno why :/

That's how I feel. To me the characters sound better in Japanese whereas English leaves a lot to be desired. I just don't feel that an English actor is capable of portraying the characters as they should be.

I used to watch Bleach dubbed and it wasn't until they had to stop to allow time for more episodes to be dubbed that I ventured in to the undubbed. I found that the voices were more fitting to the characters and that it wasn't difficult to keep up with the subtitles.

Since then I haven't watched a dubbed anime :)

The two or so odd times i've watched a Dub, i just couldn't shake the feeling that it had something to do with Justin Beiber!!! whats worse is that at the time Justin Beiber was still sucking thumb.
Simply put i wouldn't watch a Dub as they always feel too artificial lifeless and always do not pass on the emotion and feeling that the undubbed shows do, alot of the true feelings a scene should invoke it the audience is lost. I feel if i watched a Dub of Kanon or any other truly emotional shows and even comedy for that matter, i would not feel the show for what it really is. This is something i noticed before i could even understand a single Japanese word!!

PS. big brother sux in comparison to Onii-chan :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Perplexing
OMG what have i done ? I voted for the dubbed when i can't even stand seeing dubbed anime on TV. Frankly i don't see the point of replacing the original seiyus' voices by such crap. It's a disgrace to the animation and makes me feel dizzy :D

I don't mind either really. It depends on if I watch it dubbed or undubbed first. I get used to the voices after the first episode I watch, so it feels weird for me if I switch between undubbed and dubbed on the same anime.

What I'm about to say is might contradict with my earlier statement, which I prefer undubbed or dubbed version.

The dubbed version for The Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi (Abenobashi Mahou Shotengai) rather good, IMO.
The VA for the dubbed version really put their soul into the acting(is that the correct term?).
Since the anime mostly use Kansai dialect, the dubbed version used the Southern accent to match it, which I found quite fit right in.

*Watched the dubbed ver. in Youtube - dunno if they still in there though.*

I prefer subtitles over dubbed, because it always sounds wrong when they translate it. Not to mention the english voice actors just aren't as good.

English or Japanese Language?

I know this topic is overdone, but I wanted to put my personal take on this subject into a new thread.

It all depends on what you watch first. For example, my first anime series watching were Dragon Ball Z and Pokemon in English, and in Japanese the characters just sound weird. But then I watched Naruto and Bleach in Japanese and when I watched the English version I thought 'No good.'

Then there are anime that sound great no matter if it's Japanese or English, like Devil May Cry, Fullmetal Alchemist/Brotherhood and Samurai Champloo.

I think there are pros and cons to both sides.

Japanese Pros: More emotion and cute voices. Japanese voices are able to release more emotion through their voices and Japanese girls have the best voices in the world, whether for the cute or the badass. Just watch Moka from Rosario + Vampire and you'll see what I mean.

English Pros: For English speaking people, instant acknowledgement of what they are saying while staying focused on what's happening. Good voice acting, when it happens. Good at acting in emotion moderation when needed.

Japanese Cons: Overdone voices. Sometimes they can get carried away. Extreme high pitched girl voices. There's almost one in every series where a cute girl's voice is taken way past cute and into the realm of severely annoying. English Subtitles. Not everyone can concentrate on the action and read the subs without missing something crucial, or watching something crucial but miss what they said in the subs. It does happen!

English Cons: Bad voice acting. There's less emotion than in the Japanese acting and the series becomes dull or boring because you can't connect to the characters. This is a big one. Many anime series have been tortured to death from English dub companies *cough*4kids*cough*

So for me, both Japanese and English dubbing is good and bad. Depends all on your personal experience and preference. Now share your experience and answer after mulling over what I've said. I know that I have a good point in this topic. But I want to hear what you have to say.

Commander Kitsune signing out.

Reactions: Will98
Re: English or Japanese Language?

There are few, I repeat, few English dubs that I found interesting to listen to.
One of that example is the Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi. They use the Southern accent to replace the Osaka-ben used in the original.

Watch the different between the f**king English dub and the f**king original, and tell me which one is f**king better? :P

Last edited:

True. That one was good. Another is Avatar: The Last Airbender, but I haven't heard the Japanese script, or even know it exists as it's a Nickolodian production. But it clearly takes on some anime traits. Goes to prove that anime can kick ass where ever it's made.

Another is Azumanga Daiou. I love the English version. Very well acted.

Last edited:

Well here's my deal with this. I've been watching anime since I was 16. During my early days I watched a lot of dubbed shows on TV, however once I got into anime I ventured in to buying them (on VHS back then) and on some occasions I had no choice but to view them with subtitles.

Now back then I dreaded subtitles with a passion, but in order to watch certain shows i had no choice so I dealt with it. After a while I stopped watching anime altogether and I ventured into other hobbies and such.

It wasn't until about 7-8 years ago I happened to stumble upon anime once again and I renewed my love of it with shows such as Trinity Blood, Blood+, Inuyasha, Full Metal Alchemist, and Bleach. All of which were dubbed shows. About 3-4 years ago I ventured onto the internet and found that sites like TPB had a lot of anime shows available for downloading. I started to grab a few shows and when I had the time I started one up.

This happened to be Kono Minikuku mo Utsukushii Sekai. Which opened me up to a wider selection of anime as I never knew there were so many genres out there at the time. After a while I had gone through several shows that were on TPB and I nearly exhausted my choices so I moved on to BBT and I was strictly going for dubbed anime. Around this time Bleach which was my fave stopped to allow time to dub more episodes. I wasn't happy about it because I was really into the show so I found that here in America we was 4 seasons behind Japan.

I started grabbing the shows knowing full well that they was subbed and after a few episodes I got used to the subs. From this I started getting other shows that were subbed because I had become accustomed to reading subs while watching the shows.

Around this time as well I grew to love the Japanese voices and language to the point that I couldn't stand to here English actors anymore. For myself I feel that to not listen to an anime in the original language it was produced in is wrong because to me those voices are what the production companies chose to personify the characters. Odd I suppose but it's how I feel.

Since this time I have not been able to listen to English dialogue and in my opinion there is no pros only cons. Your pros listed to me for the English language isn't much of a pro in my opinion because I find it to be very easy to see what is happening while reading the subs, however I understand not everyone can but after seeing as many shows as I have it becomes quite easy lol.

I'm not really knocking the English dialogue as I did rely upon dubbed anime for years but not anymore. :)

Edit

Avatar: The Last Airbender is not an anime by the way :)

Never supported dub, never will.

Watched my first animes when i was still around 6, first few titles being CSS, Slamdunk, Flame of Recca and Cyberteam in Akihabara. Had early exposure, but that was before i turned serious at 13.

Dubbed ones have never been good in any ways in my opinions, i relied on subs(still relying now though, because the sub groups are fast) for a period of time until around shortly before i turned 16, by then, i can understand raws properly. For me now, the language itself comes naturally like another tongue already, or else i cant possibly be reading visual novels too.

During the transition period being 13 to 16, i have adored my seiyuus and watched shows which are full of the top seiyuus. Although it pains to say now, i can identify majority of the seiyuu voices, but sometimes i am dying to say the name while the thoughts of 'i know this voice, but i forgot the name!' ringing through my head. Jap voices, jap songs, i do not support any dub of any form, even though they have invested efforts into it. It doesnt sound right, and will never too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Perplexing

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

nightfall35 wrote on FlowerTradeWinds's profile.
thebreaker2 wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
RJ106740 ver 2
RJ132271 ver 2.02
RJ130405 ver 1.04
RJ127061 ver 1.06
RJ114347 ver 1.10
RJ086550 ver 1.24

All download links are dead
Please could you reupload these using mexa.sh link?
trenx wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi, any chance of getting this game?

妻の面影残る娘に、疼く欲情 ~俺のモノで教えてやる!~ アパタイト https://www.dlsite.com/pro/work/=/product_id/VJ01002091.html

Thanks for your time
pin13 wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hello, do you think you can upload this please?

https://www.dlsite.com/girls/work/=/product_id/RJ01110786.html
Ghiaccio wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
Hello.
Is it possible to reupload the RJ336575?