Are Anime Fans Shy?

Why is your profile picture not your real face?

• Total voters
I'm not shy about myself liking animes, manga, etc. I'm a rather diplomatic person and I like listening(, which is rather an important thing for my friends xD), so I can befriend people rather easy. Maybe it's also because I like to avoid conflicts, but I adapt to people so they don't feel uneasy around me and if I get the feeling they don't like a particular topic I won't touch it. You could say I'm a quite careful person (who turns out to be crazy after you know him).

I used to be shy. Well I kinda am now but not that much anymore. :)

The only reason I'm not showing a pic here cuz even though I'm sure 99% of you people are nice there's still the 1% if you know what I'm saying. I've no problem with meeting/ talking with people tho. :)

I can be fairly shy, but usually a bit open with people I know. I don't think much of avatars. I used to use them, but when my reputation wouldn't hold up, I decided to give them up all together. I wouldn't want to show a picture of my real self, doubt it would be useful, and I do not have the technology to do so anyways.

Good question...We humans tend to go out of our ways in order to make ourselves seem more interesting in front of others.However we are never satisfied with ourselves,thus we tend to wear masks.
As for me...I'm a shy person but I can't deny that the fact from above is valid in my case either.

Well I'm not super social and don't party at all
I wouldn't say I'm shy anymore though

Last edited:
My reason here is that I don't wanna reveal my identity to anyone. Especially in college, since I don't know how my 'friends' will react when they see my... daily activities. Also, anime pics are cooler and I never take pictures of myself anyway.

Yes, anime fans are shy in real life because unfortunately anime and manga is not a popular topic that you can talk casually about in public. Not being able to talk about it makes us look like we have nothing to say, and in turn that makes us look like we are shy. That can't be changed unless you have friends in real life that are also Anime fans like you and they know what you're talking about. Of course it's not like that only for anime fans, there are many specific fandoms and people belonging to that fandom would find themself to be in that situation, like book readers or soccer fans if you are in united states, because in real life you cannot choose what kind of people you are going to be facing in everyday conversations.

However, a forum on the internet is widely frequented by people of the same interests, so you don't have to be afraid of talking about those things. What comes after, is that you also don't have to be afraid to showcase the things that you like in your avatar and signature since you have that ability. Not to mention that some people find it simply more comfortable and/or use that as a way to advertise their interests. For me, it's no longer that I can't show my irl picture to people since I can and I did (on another forum) but it's that I like to use my avatar/signature and showcase different things, things that would interest Anime fans rather than pictures of myself that would not allow me to show "how" and "why" I am a fan of something. Seems like a basic concept, really.

Well for me it's because everyone else has an anime character as their picture so it feels awkward to be the only one with my real life picture.

Thats only a stereotype and anyone who believes it is shortsighted. Of course, there are anime fans out there that are shy but mindlessly labeling all anime fans as shy is dumb. Hell personally, I look and act nothing like an anime fan. I consider myself a fairly outgoing person. I've done almost every drug imaginable, have 2 tattoos, and drink on a weekly basis but I'm actually a huge otaku.

Theres a time and a place for everything. You shouldn't haphazardly post your picture on every single account you've ever made on the internet. Not everything needs to be up front and personal. Even more so if your on these forums for eroge since technically lolicon material can be classified as underage content and thats putting things nicely. I'm not into it myself but in the eyes of the law, there have been cases where people have been arrested for questionable anime related content.

Last edited:
I can reveal my face any time, don't have any problems with being shy or so~ But yes I prefer anime characters better~

Shy to find a topic to start, feeling awkward and trying not to ruin the atmosphere... but I like anime characters :goodtea:

I am a mix of both. The reason I have an anime image and a handle name is that: first, it's the internet, I just feel like I have to have a handle name. Second is that my name is pretty long, I don't want to type that much (Plus, I tend to forget how to spell my name due to its length)

I was once a problem child in grade 5-6, I used to beat up other kids before they could beat me up. While I am in love with anime characters, I tend to not wear anime related stuff as it increases the risk of it being broken. I am shy if the person I am talking is more outgoing than I am though.

I rather not reveal my identity, is all, and like Emiko said I'd feel uncomfortable being the only one with a real life picture amongst all the anime ones xD

I don't think all anime fans are shy, it really just depends on the person. I use to talk to this anime fan who was pretty shy, but then there were people like my cousin and her friends, who would cosplay on the streets and make it blatantly obvious they liked anime.

For me, I'm more socially awkward than anything, which would make me not want to speak up in fear of making everyone else feel awkward. Over the years I've learnt to not care and embrace that awkwardness. Nowadays I'm more outgoing and act like a total goofball with people I don't even know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

AUO wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi is there Can you reupload this?
Sirvipe235 wrote on Shine's profile.
https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01042053.html

Could you please upload this game?I have spent months searching for it, but no luck at all.
Sirvipe235 wrote on Otokonoko's profile.

Do you think you could upload this game? Youv'e uploaded one by the studio before and i can't find this online anywhere.
Sirvipe235 wrote on ramori's profile.

Do you think you could upload this game? It was by a studio whose game you have uplaoded before!
Sirvipe235 wrote on HentaiCovid's profile.

Excuse me but could you upload this game? You uploaded onebyt he same studio before.