Gun Violence: Can it be solved with greater gun control?

Legacy

一失足成千古恨
Elite Member
Feb 15, 2012
In the wake of unimaginable atrocities at the hands of guns, both in the United States and outside, is it time to get serious about guns?

While this is a huge topic, I think we can get some thought provoking discussion going. I think we should avoid simple answers, but really state why you think what you do. It would be awesome for the international (outside of the US) members to voice their opinion, since this topic is seen differently all around the world.

What do you think?

***Lets just keep the discussion civil. People probably will have different views, but that should not get people upset or give them the right to attack them. Just keep it civil and academic.**

In my opinion gun control is not the answer. A person who wants to make a mess will make it with a gun or with an axe. I find this just a birocratic way to keep guns of people in case there is a revolution. It really is that simple

Reactions: Legacy
In my opinion gun control is not the answer. A person who wants to make a mess will make it with a gun or with an axe. I find this just a birocratic way to keep guns of people in case there is a revolution. It really is that simple

Understandably. However, to use your example, an ax is a lot harder to conceal, wield, and murder large amounts of people when compared to a gun. While, a single death by any weapon is too much, it shows me how much more brutal and efficient guns are at killing people. Other then hunting, there is very little use for a gun that out ways its destructive potential. A revolution, at least in the United States, is highly unlikely. Allowing guns for such a purpose only allows for guns to be in the hands of crimnals and unstable people.

At least, this is what I believe, I am sure there are enough people who would try to convince me I am wrong. Which could be possible.

Hmm... the presence of guns actually has some subconscious effect on people which makes them more violent i think? Im not quite sure if gun control would be good or bad though... Some stuff like how people have to wait a week before they can get their gun can only help~

In my country it's a huge headache to get a gun... It can literally take YEARS to get a gun license, and then only for handguns, shotguns and bolt action rifles. Yet crime is still a huge issue, as the criminal does not care one little bit about if he has a license for his weapon or not. At the end of the day it seems that stricter gun control means that only criminals have guns :/

Source: Personal experience in RSA

In my country it's a huge headache to get a gun... It can literally take YEARS to get a gun license, and then only for handguns, shotguns and bolt action rifles. Yet crime is still a huge issue, as the criminal does not care one little bit about if he has a license for his weapon or not. At the end of the day it seems that stricter gun control means that only criminals have guns :/

Source: Personal experience in RSA

Undeniably that is probably true, but isn't the probably also that it is easy to get guns from out the country. So, while restricting gun's within the country may work, gun control in other countries is the issue for your nation. I am not that familiar with South Africa, but I assume that is where most of the guns are coming from. I know when I have studied Kenya, they are extremely concerned with small arms (hand guns, etc) coming across their borders. Wouldn't that prove my point, gun control works, but needs to be a global initiative.

I know when I have studied Kenya, they are extremely concerned with small arms (hand guns, etc) coming across their borders.
Meanwhile, Mexican gangs are purchasing all their guns from the states. And honestly, determined crime will always have easy access to such routes. Tighter gun control will at least keep guns out of the hands of the petty criminal and mentally unstable. Not to mention the children! I see no benefits for lax gun control.

As for the whole protecting our rights/revolution, do you really think if a country came to that point, the government would allow gun sales to the general public?

So... anyone aware that the more gun control and restrictive laws enacted.... creates higher crime/violence?

Coming from a friend of mine who is a retired Marine all he has to say is:

People kill people. Guns don't. Hell I left my f!@#ing AR-15 in the front porch once and did an experiment on it. I left my AR-15 where it was and came back to check on it an hour later. Guess what happened to it? It just sat there and did nothing. It didn't suddenly decide to have a mind of it's own and start growing legs and killing people itself.

Umm.... MoreDeath...

I read that in the comment sections on CNN. You really know the guy?

I never got why people keep using that quote, guns dont kill, people do blahblah. Well... guns are sold to these very people you speak of...

Hmm... i guess tighter gun control also mean less people are likely to have guns so if you have one then suddenly its easier to actually commit the crimes? So there needs to be a middle point where criminals are dissuaded but not every idiot could get a gun...

I don't like that argument because guns are the vital weapon that kills people. While it is true that a person is needed to use a gun and point it, that doesn't mean that it isn't the problem. A gun facilitates a person's ability to kill people with greater efficiency. They are designed for that specific purpose.

The point here is, guns need to be restricted in addition to solving the other issues that cause people to commit crimes. Restricting guns from people won't solve all the issues, but it's apart of the solution.

@moredeath-11 : That doesn't really prove a thing. All it would have taken was one person to use that and someone could have died. Just because on that day no one did, doesn't prove a thing.

I once heard that why there is so little gun control is because the white people view guns as the last piece of "protection" that they have. They might feel "safer" with a gun, simply because the Europeans have had such power in America...and to see that power go way...some might be afraid of what might happen.

Everyone should have guns. It should be a right not a privilege. And there should only be one law about guns: The one who first draws his gun is free kill for everyone else. That's how you control gun use. If you don't want holes in your body, keep yer gun in its holster.

^Very counstructive....

But wait now, how did u make a post with 3 characters?

I last night saw a show on TV, it's some guy talking about American news and stuff (it was my first time seeing it) and there he actually showed some facts that are real and just too funny. I mean the same agency that is suppose to control it has the same job for tobaco and alcohol... Well now I cant really remember, only if I could find the show...

Also there's said many things like that agency is being too limited. In example they can only...

Here it is... Genius

[video]http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/wed-january-16-2013-jessica-chastain[/video]

if you look carefully he added a dot at the end lol, but i agree, no greater gun control won't solve anything.

We should just ban ALL guns and then all wars would be with martial arts!

A word from a couple of my favorite satirists:

x1sduf7.jpg

IHm2BaQ.jpg

Hmm maybe they should make media more peaceful ;p Or spread some positive messages instead of leaving it mostly negative...

And just play Bob Marley on TV all the time. I bet that would lead to the world peace :P. But yea, someone's interest is that that doesn't happen

how many gun owners do u think r willing to give up there guns? ( 40-50% of US citizens own a gun ) if u said yes there willing to give up there guns then your most ignorant then you think, if they wanted to give up there guns they would have long ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

feschrfrvdh wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi. I need your help once again. would you upload ここから夏のイノセンス!OST?
nobis_c wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi, do you have the update for this? It got major bug fixes.
クロア×スクランブル to v24.04.24 / v1.092
tintin0821 wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
Hi, Nihonjaki90-san.
Could you reupload this game? Thanks in advance.
LazuH1KKA wrote on Shine's profile.
GuRu wrote on Esan's profile.
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/200828-innocent-grey-虚ノ少女《new -cast-remaster-edition%E3%80%8B-%E3%83%91%E3%83%83%E3%82%B1%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8%E7%89%88.1289457/を katefile または mexashare またはrosefileに再アップロードして頂けますか。