Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

When Did You First Discover Otome and How Did You Get Into It?

I first discovered it when I saw a beautifully illustrated CG on a forum. I asked around and learned the name of the game from other users, and gradually I started to find out more and more about it
 
When I was in high school, I really enjoyed watching Japanese anime, especially those about love. For example, DIABOLIK LOVERS and Hakuoki (there are also many other exciting anime) are very addicted. Later, because the female protagonist in the animation can only be with one male protagonist, and I also like other male supporting role, and want to be with other male supporting role, I accidentally found that there are video recordings of the game, surprised that there are games, and there are many male protagonists in the game, including the male protagonist I like, and then slowly learned about the otome games, and began to play games. Now I rarely watch animation, and play a lot of games!
 
oh, back when i was a child with unrestricted internet access, i stumbled upon utapri on an anime pirating website. i thought this "prince-sama" thing was interesting because the only princely figure i knew of was usui takumi from kaichou wa maid sama. downloaded the utapri anime, and then found out from other forum it originates from a game.

pretty much fell into the otome anime rabbit hole after that, then came the emulator where i could dabble psp titles. there was an attempt to run diabolik lovers on my potato phone. it ran, but i swear to god i had no idea what i was reading lmao. it was all in japanese! bless the tumblr translators.
 
I found them pretty late, when mobile otomes became popular and well-known, as I didn't have any consoles
 
I first discovered otome games through social media, and I became interested after seeing the characters and storylines. I eventually tried playing one myself and started exploring more otome games from there
 
I think I found a few while scrolling through the google app store like mystic messenger, then I got my pc and found out there were more otomes that I could play now
 
This is a bit of a long story, but here goes: it all started when I was watching shoujo anime—it was my favorite demographic (and still is), along with shoujo manga. Anyway, when I started watching my first reverse-harem anime, I fell in love with that genre above all others—along with romance—and began looking for more of those stories, checking if there was a manga or something similar I could read. Then I stumbled upon an anime (I don't remember exactly which one) that had a tie-in game, so I started digging deeper. (It's funny how, for my hobbies or things that interest me, I'll search and read through the most obscure corners of the internet every day, but if it's a school assignment or a serious responsibility, I do the bare minimum as quickly as possible XD). I wondered how I could get those games, but since I didn't speak the language or know how to use an emulator, I had to settle for the occasional image I'd see online; I really wanted to play them, but those two barriers stopped me. Years of searching and waiting went by; I could only look at CGs, settle for promotional anime about the otome games coming out back then, or read manga based on those stories. Then, one day while browsing out of boredom, I found a site run by someone who translated otome games into my language (sadly, that site doesn't exist anymore, though thankfully I found a backup where I could download that person's patches—I'll be eternally grateful for that). There was a game called Sh[in]e; I downloaded and played it, and the obsession to find more games to play kicked in again. I came across a program called Visual Novel Reader (as it was known back then) and tried to play a copy of Amnesia: Later I'd managed to get, but it was only in Japanese. I learned to use an emulator, and since I didn't know how to use the translation program, I tried over and over until I finally got it working—though the translation itself was terrible. So I got discouraged and left it at that, playing the games with language patches I found online every now and then—until I came across the English version of Amnesia: Memories. The problem was that I didn't understand English either. However, I figured that since English is a more widely known language, there had to be a screen translator for it. Sure enough, I stumbled upon Capture2Text; I set it up and learned how to use it until I was able to finish the game. Afterward, I kept looking for more English patches—the next one was Heart no Kuni no Alice. As time went on, the tools improved and more content became available; I learned to use an emulator and am even gradually learning Japanese. And I guess that pretty much sums up my story.
Whenever I play an otome game based on an anime I used to watch back then, I always tell my present self: "You know, if I told the little girl I used to be—who watched those otome-based anime and dreamed of playing the games—that she'd eventually get to play the very thing she wanted so badly... I swear, she wouldn't believe me."
 
Last edited:
Diabolik lovers anime from years ago iirc.. i watched playthrough of the game after anime because I couldn't play lol. (I don't even remember everything...)
 
Last edited:
i saw there was a new game coming out and saw a bunch of edits on tiktok so i was interested and ended up buying it and from there on i liked otomes lol
 
I first played BL games called 'Struggle Under Me,' and gradually, while playing different games, I expanded my interests into the otome genre. It feels like the order is all mixed up--;;
 
I discovered the visual novel "Angelic Serenade", went on to play "Symphonic Rain" from the same company, then found out about games marketed towards female audiences in an online forum