How to auto-translate RAW Manga

spoxxy

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2011
Hey all

I'm looking for a way to translate RAW Japanese manga into English on windows10 (via machine translation) just so I can have a basic understanding of the story.
I know that there are some tools out there like Capture2Text which lets you manually select the text to capture (via OCR) with your mouse and then it popup a window with the translation. It indeed can be useful to have such a tool at hand but what I'm really looking for is something that auto-detects all the Japanese text on an image file and then auto-translates it all to english and at the same time auto-replaces the original text (removes the Japanese text from the image) with the translated one (places the english text where the Japanese text used to be).
Preferably this would be done in batches so I could just select multiple images at once to be translated instead of having to manually do images one by one. It would then save/export the edited/translated images to my HD letting me in turn to open them with my favorite manga reader. It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to work as described.

In my searching the internet I found this app called ImageTrans https://www.basiccat.org/imagetrans/ which appears to do all I asked for. Looks like the app is done by a Chinese guy but he also seems to provide an english version of it, the thing is that the app is not available for free and I can't find any 'working' version of it anywhere else.

So if anyone has or knows any free app or method to do what I'm looking to achieve here please say so! I'd really appreciate any help I can get.

I don't think there's anything like that anywhere in the web. That program looks great. It's only 10 dollars, so I'd recommend you buy the program and try it out. Good luck!

Well I also found this free app called Manga Rikai https://sourceforge.net/projects/manga-rikai/ it is a step in the right direction but no cigar yet.

It runs over a webrowser where you load one or more image files at the same time and it will auto-detect almost all of the japanese text automatically for you with just a push of a button (thou it seems to have some problems detecting text that is not in a ordinary bubble with a white background) then you have to manually copy and run all of the japanese text it 'extracted' for you on your favorite translator and then you paste the translated results back into the app and it will now automatically atribute each bubble with japanese text an english translation (you mouseover a bubble with japanese text and it will automatically highlight it and give you the translated results referent to that bubble alone in a separate window at the top of the image).

My issue with it is that it doesn't replace the japanese text with english at all, it just shows the english text on a separate window and this makes it so you can't save the image with it's english translation on a traditional image file format (you can either A) save the translation script in multiple .json files each one corresponding to a image that you can later manually load in the app or B) save each image manually one by one in HTML format so later you can open it with a webrowser where you will see the translation on a separate window on top, thou this later option seems to make the japanese text always have a red shadow background while the first option only makes the text background turn red when you mouseover the japanese text).

I also found some extensions that somewhat do the job like https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/anity/dlifbagcoiffpplfbdmcgmfmcfbjpipb?hl=en unfortunately it doesn't look like you can drop multiple images at the same time into it plus it also seems you can't save the images with the english translations on them to your computer. It's really a shame because this extension does the job of automatically detecting and replacing the japanese text in the images themselves quite well.

I also found some extensions that somewhat do the job like https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/anity/dlifbagcoiffpplfbdmcgmfmcfbjpipb?hl=en unfortunately it doesn't look like you can drop multiple images at the same time into it plus it also seems you can't save the images with the english translations on them to your computer. It's really a shame because this extension does the job of automatically detecting and replacing the japanese text in the images themselves quite well.

Just want to point out for those interested that I recommend using this other extension instead which gives way better translation results Raw Manga Fan There's also the one called Ichigo Reader but it only translates a limited number of pages before you have to pay for unlimited access.

Needless to say that none of these extension allow saving the image with the translation text on them unfortunately.

Just want to point out for those interested that I recommend using this other extension instead which gives way better translation results Raw Manga Fan There's also the one called Ichigo Reader but it only translates a limited number of pages before you have to pay for unlimited access.

Needless to say that none of these extension allow saving the image with the translation text on them unfortunately.

Use GoFullPage Screenshot extension. It allows you to screenshot the images on the website.

I guess you could use GoFullPage to save the images with the translated text on them... but then again using an extension like Raw Manga Fan is just a better than nothing solution because in the end of the day what I'm really looking for is a simple way to load images from my HD in batches and automatically detect the raw text and replace it with translated text so I can have them saved altogether back to the HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

zhandie wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Sorry, could you re-upload this ?
[201030][Lose] 【DLsite限定特典付き】まいてつ 全部入り [v2.2 JPN/CHN]

The Mexashare links for parts 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 10, 11, and 12 are dead.
The Rosafile link seems to be online, but for I can't download it.
Additionally, I can't download the file from KatFile or Rapidgator either.
jsh wrote on Shine's profile.
Can u upload 春屋3D’s arlecchino?
micanh wrote on Lebedev's profile.
Since it was you who posted the Rakudai volumes, I chose to ask here. Do you have any plans to upload the novel's 19vol ?
fpqm127 wrote on Esan's profile.
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/120909-ジュピター-絶対監獄.1204055/

Can you please reupload this file katefile or mexashare or rosefile?

Thanks.
TheB33 wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi can you please resend the games from 諾威水産? I've been looking them for some time even DLsite don't have these games