Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

How do you feel about a guy playing otome?

I have to be honest and say that when I see a guy playing otome or female-gaze works, my respect for them bumps up a lot. I know that it's not really indicative of their values and principles, but at the very least being exposed to those kind of media will give them a bit of an idea what women consume and what women want in this patriarchal world.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ufoufufu
If a guy likes otome games, that's fine. I don't care, so why not? If he likes them, let him play.
 
I think it's straight up offensive to tell someone they can't or shouldn't play a game because of their gender. If a guy likes otome games, he should be allowed to play them. If a girl likes, I dunno, racings games or first person shooters, she should be allowed to play them. Games exist for enjoyment. If you like it, why shouldn't you be allowed to play it?

Otome games, by definition, are female protagonists with male love interests. It doesn't make sense for someone to demand that BL be included in these games. Same as I wouldn't include female love interests in a BL game. However, if a creator WANTS to make a game where you can pick your protags gender, or a game that includes both male and female LIs... there's nothing wrong with that, either.

I don't see the point in demanding an otome game have BL, or a BL game add female LIs because they are two different genres meant to cater to two different tastes. Nothing wrong with either of them. I also don't see the point in getting mad about a creator wanting to make a game that allows more freedom regarding your protagonist's gender, or different options regarding your LIs - so long as it's clearly labeled on the tin. If I know what you're selling, then it's way more likely that I'm going to be happy with what I'm buying. There's clearly a market for all three kinds of games.

Last... I don't think there's anything wrong with someone who likes a game that is BL or otome creating fanfiction or fanworks that don't align with the original vision of the game. Fanfiction is an escape from cannon. Take any movie or tv show or game, and you're likely going to find someone creating both straight and LGBTQ+ fan content for it. What's the problem? It's something they enjoy, they're not hurting anyone with it, and they're not forcing you to consume it. Just because I don't like reading about, I dunno, Loki/Darcy doesn't mean that I'm going to be mad at other people for drawing/writing/enjoying it. Or just because I think Tony/Loki is adorable doesn't mean I'm going to shove it down everyone's throat.

As long as fans respect each other, there's no reason we can't all have different tastes.
 
Last edited:
i don't really mind. it's their choice what games they enjoy.

but i do feel a bit strange and uncomfortable when some guys demand that the mc should also be customizable as a male character. i mean, otome games are made mainly for a female audience, so i think women should also have a space where they can enjoy games made with them in mind.

it also bothers me when people play otome games just to bait others or start arguments for views or content. i remember there was an incident where a guy played an otome game for content, but the comment section ended up with people mocking women who play otome. i remember how uncomfortable it made a lot of women feel, especially when otome is supposed to be a space where they can enjoy fanservice made for them.

that said, i don't think all men who play otome are like this. if they genuinely enjoy the game, i have no problem with it at all. for me, it's more about how people behave in the community. toxic people can be anyone, regardless of gender.

personally, i just want otome communities to be a comfortable and safe space for everyone who genuinely enjoys these games.
 
Anyone can play otome games, gender doesn't matter. In fact, I'd probably be excited if I found out a guy I'm friends with or any random dude plays otome games. As long as they don't play an otoge just to look down on the genre
 
I think it's okay for people of any gender to play any kind of games as long as they don't attack and influence others. Self-germination of enclosure