Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Help! Impulsively Bought a Japanese Game!

yayayayayaw

New member
Oct 1, 2026
8
10
I placed an order for Sullyland Nursery Rhyme... Without any formal knowledge in Japanese...

So I'm planning to use this occasion to study the language while I'm at it... I heard there's an OCR app to help with translation when your Switch is docked. But that's for translating righ? Is there any app to translate and study at the same time? Like automatically adding vocab to your Anki?

Also is there any tips for first time jp players? I'm afraid I'll end up dropping the game because of the language barrier :(
 
Your story is really relatable as that is exactly how I started learning Japanese, impulsively buying a game that looks pretty. Mine was Toki no Kizuna. 😂 I don't know about the specific OCR app you're asking but you could check out this guide by Blackflag. It's for emulation/playing on a PC but it might help you get started!

As for tips, I don't have a specific one; in my opinion it really depends on your hunger/desire to learn and patience! I remember forcing myself to consume media in Japanese (music, books, YouTube, changing my smartphone/PC language 😂, etc.). Also, the book "Read and Write Japanese Scripts" by Helen Gilhooly really helped me a ton when I was starting out, it's simple and very easy to understand.

Engross yourself in the process and remember that it takes time, but you'll get there and it will feel so very rewarding. 🩷
 
  • Like
Reactions: yayayayayaw