Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Do you like Minigames or Puzzles in your VNs?

I like puzzles, but do not always feel like doing it. I think I can handle them when they're optional or sparce.
 
Minigames are okay, but I don't really like to play puzzles. If I can skip the minigames, it saves me a lot of trouble to save my time so I can play more efficiently.
 
I like them as long as it's not too tedious. JackJeanne's rhythm mini games were cute at first but there's only a handful of songs with no variation between the 7 routes. If the upcoming sequel also recycles the same few songs I hope they inplement a feature where you can skip the rhythm game if you already cleared it with a good score in a previous playthrough.
 
They are quite enjoyable if there is a logical solution, not some random "weeell let's try them all, it doesn't make any sense". They can give hits and answers for the story, so most of the time I need moar. They can also be perfect change of pace.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DoDoPopping
I like it because it's funny. Some developers really go out of their way to make it look as absurd as possible.
 
I like them, as long as they're not too repetitive, but sometimes I just want to read and I am too lazy to do them, so I also like having the option to skip them.
 
If it's fun, why not?

I don't think otome games or BL games have to be visual novels. KOEI's otome games are a good example of how these genres can work with different types of gameplay.

However, if a developer adds new gameplay mechanics just to be different instead of making the game more enjoyable, I'd rather they didn't. It can hurt the game's pacing and make the overall experience less enjoyable.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DoDoPopping
Mini-games and puzzles are fun during the first playthrough but only if I get the option to skip them afterwards because it's a pain to do the same thing over and over again.
 
Yes, but I don't want it to be the entire focus, to be able to experience it in the first run but not in the second, bc can be quite tiring
 
Yes, any VN that tries to change it up in any way can be refreshing. Minigames and puzzles can be one avenue for that, but also unique UI or interaction mechanics can help. The minigames/puzzles need to make sense though and be justified by the story, and to Eril's point above if the minigames and puzzles have no replayability they should be able to be skipped after initial completion. (Skips for more challenging content is also welcome--for example, this isn't otome, but if anyone played the Sonic VN "The Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog" and experienced how difficult some of the minigame segments can be, having them be skippable was a welcome accessibility feature).
 
  • Like
Reactions: DoDoPopping
Nice to meet you. I enjoy puzzles and mini-games at first, but I get bored easily, so I gradually lose interest.(´・ε・`)‪
 
In theory it's a good idea, but I'm finding that not a lot of the ones I've seen are implemented well ┐⁠(⁠ ⁠∵⁠ ⁠)⁠┌ RBL had ones that genuinely ticked me off every time I had to do it. But JJs I adored. If I remember, I did like amnesia's mini games, but I played that so long ago I barely remember. (Time for a replay?)
 
Either way, I don't want the design to be too simple.
I love those wonderfully clever ideas that make you feel like your brain cells are getting a massage.
For mini-games, I'd like them to be the kind you can really get absorbed in and keep coming back to.
For puzzles, I want that kind of surprise where you keep thinking about them,
and when you finally realize the answer, you're just like, "Ohhh, THAT'S it!"
You could also combine the two and make puzzle mini-games lol.
 
  • Like
Reactions: b3rryb3rry
I love it!!!! I love distractions and I love dopamine!!!

I'm a sucker for mini-games in general, not just in VNs. One of my favourite games of all time is Yakuza for this reason. I love holding up the story to go play mahjong then karaoke then dancing then bowling etc. etc.

Same goes for my favourite otome games. I love making Valentine's chocolate and competing in Sport's Day in Tokimeki Memorial, and I love playing cards and washing dishes and making parfaits in Amnesia Crowd.

I think it helps break up the gameplay and keep me interested. I hate doing the same thing for too long, or becoming too aware of a repeating game loop.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DoDoPopping
I like easy and cute minigames. It breaks the story but in a fun way. It makes me focus more and I remember the route better. Hard puzzles? Maybe not, but cute ones YES!