Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Discussion: Why do most otome games feel so healing yet underrated?

sfr1314

New member
Sep 25, 2026
18
24
I've been playing otome games consistently for years, and I've always had this thought I want to share with everyone here.

Compared to most male-targeted games that prioritize excitement, combat, and fast-paced stimulation, otome stories tend to focus heavily on gentle character growth, subtle emotional bonds, healing daily interactions, and slow-burn romance. They feel much more intimate and emotionally nourishing, especially when you're tired from real life.

It's interesting that even though the quality of writing, art, and voice acting in many otome titles is absolutely amazing, the genre still stays relatively niche and underappreciated in the overall gaming community.

I also notice a very unique charm exclusive to otome games: the male leads are usually written with deep, complicated personalities, traumas, and soft sides that you get to uncover slowly through your choices. It's less about pure visual attraction and more about emotional resonance and character redemption.

I'm curious what everyone thinks!

• What's your favorite thing about otome games that you can't find in other genres?

• Do you also feel otome stories are way more emotionally immersive than people assume?

• Any underrated otome title you want to recommend lately?

Feel free to share your thoughts, rants, or favorite character moments!
 
The reason otome are underrated ties to one word really : misogyny.
If you look at it it's not just otome but games targeted to a female audience, like Infinity Nikki recently.
But Otome are more looked down upon as it's romance, just like women/girls who read romance books are looked down upon. I've been told by a female friend that I was cheating on my boyfriend because they can't fathom we just play for entertainment, they think we can't make the difference between the game and the reality.
So of course most people would assume the stories are bad, they just think it's just romance and there are no true story at all, even some think that all ages otome have r18 content.
So yeah the reason it's underrated is just because society hates women and don't want us to read about romance because men know they can't keep up with the LI's lol!

But I feel like it's changing slowly and it's getting more accepted than it was 10 years ago for exemple. I think one of the main reason is the popularity of Love and Deepspace to be honest. With how much money they made, being in front of really other famous gacha games, everyone had to check it out to understand why it was so loved. Same with infinity Nikki that has quite the few male players.
If society changes and accept women it will get less looked down upon. Otome hate is just political after all.
 
To me, playing or listening to "healing" otome titles is a rather wholesome hobby; it feels as though my soul is being cleansed and refreshed.

When engaging with these games, I maintain a clear distinction between 2D characters and the real world. Men, however, often see it differently; they might accuse us of being unrealistic dreamers who set the bar too high because the in-game characters are so perfect—all while failing to reflect on whether they themselves are worthy of a woman's respect.

The gaming community is predominantly male, and many dislike the sentimentality and emotional nature of the male leads in otome games. They view these characters as lacking masculinity and dismiss the genre because it lacks intense combat, focusing instead on emotional resonance through storytelling and dialogue—elements that we women deeply value.

While "healing" otome games are highly regarded within the female gaming community, they naturally don't appeal to the male-dominated gaming sphere, where they are often looked down upon.
 
  • Like
Reactions: laranjinha
ii think my favorite thing about otome games is how much time you get to spend getting to know a character and watching your relationship with them develop. i love slowly discovering different sides of them. i know you can find this in other games too, but i feel like otome games put so much focus on the romantic and emotional development of the characters which makes it really special to me.
and yes definitely!! i feel like otome games can be so emotionally immersive, especially when you're really invested in a character and their story. sometimes even the smallest interactions can make me feel so attached to them and some routes genuinely stay with me long after i finish playing.
as for underrated titles, id say psychedelica of the black butterfly. i feel like it deserves more love, especially for its story and emotional impact ❤️
 
  • Like
Reactions: Marsik
The reason otome are underrated ties to one word really : misogyny.
If you look at it it's not just otome but games targeted to a female audience, like Infinity Nikki recently.
But Otome are more looked down upon as it's romance, just like women/girls who read romance books are looked down upon. I've been told by a female friend that I was cheating on my boyfriend because they can't fathom we just play for entertainment, they think we can't make the difference between the game and the reality.
So of course most people would assume the stories are bad, they just think it's just romance and there are no true story at all, even some think that all ages otome have r18 content.
So yeah the reason it's underrated is just because society hates women and don't want us to read about romance because men know they can't keep up with the LI's lol!

But I feel like it's changing slowly and it's getting more accepted than it was 10 years ago for exemple. I think one of the main reason is the popularity of Love and Deepspace to be honest. With how much money they made, being in front of really other famous gacha games, everyone had to check it out to understand why it was so loved. Same with infinity Nikki that has quite the few male players.
If society changes and accept women it will get less looked down upon. Otome hate is just political after all.

I really, really agree with what you said about misogyny being one of the reasons otome games are so underrated. It really does feel like the things women enjoy are constantly dismissed or undervalued by society in general, and I don't think it's limited to otome games at all.

What makes me especially sad is that male-oriented visual novels can be taken seriously and praised as games, and their franchises can expand into all kinds of other media and attract much larger fanbases. Meanwhile, it's hard to think of many otome games that have been given the same kind of recognition and opportunity to expand.

That said, like you mentioned, I do hope this will gradually change as society becomes more accepting. I really hope we can move toward a point where stories and media centered around women aren't automatically dismissed or looked down on simply because they're made for or enjoyed by women.

Sorry if any of my wording sounds a little awkward! I used a translation tool to help write this.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Marsik
I feel that otome games are my only spiritual food in this noisy world. The characters, stories, and world in games can bring me a sense of tranquility that cannot be found in real life. The visuals of otome games are very healing and warm, with a slow pace in daily life. I can also immerse myself in the game and feel psychologically in love, which I think is very wonderful.
 
  • Like
Reactions: nerim-w
They feel healing because they prioritize emotional vulnerability, meaningful connection, and quiet companionship over stressful mechanics. Yet, they remain underrated because mainstream gaming often dismisses visual novels as "just dating sims," completely overlooking their intricate writing, psychological depth, and atmospheric storytelling.
 
  • Like
Reactions: leylah1578
I often see the notion that otome games are just 18+ content for women, and women who play them are called all kinds of names because of it. It is so unfair and untrue; it just shows how prejudiced and dismissive mainstream gaming circles are against women.