Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Buying Otome/BL CDs

Do You Guys Actually Buy Otome/BL Official CDs?

  • No, Never

  • Yes, Rarely

  • Yes, 1-2 CDs per Month

  • Yes, 3-4 CDs per Month

  • Yes, 5 and Above CDs per Month


Results are only viewable after voting.

BlackF

New member
乙女
Jan 20, 2026
69
77
I only (rarely) buy CDs that I really like or really want to support after listening to them from free online sources or borrowing from friends because honestly they're kind of expensive for me :cry:
It's sad because I really want to support the industry so it can grow bigger and more accessible and become more well-known.

What about u guys? What makes you decide that a CD is worth spending money on? Is it your favorite seiyuu, a specific LI, the story, limited editions/bonus tracks, wanting to support the series, or just because u simply could so why not?:unsure:
 
Same here. I rarely buy them now, especially with AI work scattered everywhere, it's getting a little bit annoying. I only want to buy one if an artist I know on Pixiv shares their cover art for the drama CD. Other than that, I look for drama cd with tags that I really love on DLsite (submissive men *cough* lol).
:akazukin_blush:
I don't think the seiyuu is the biggest reason for me to buy a drama CD. For me, it's always art first, then story, and seiyuu last.
 
  • Love
Reactions: Pancito and BlackF
Same here😭 Otome CDs can be pretty pricey, so I usually listen to the free stuff first and then buy it if I really like it. But sometimes the story or the samples are just so my type that I get way too curious, and if there's no free version, I just buy it lol.

I'm not really that into bonus tracks or limited editions though. I mostly just care about the main story. I especially prefer hardcore play, which is kinda rare in otome cd. So I tend to buy cds that seem like they'll have the kind of play I'm into!
 
  • Love
Reactions: BlackF
Yahh hehe same here. If there's a CD I really like but can't find anywhere online or trade with anyone, I'll just leave it in my cart and wait until there's a big sale of 50% off or more before buying it.

Even if I had more money than I do now, I'd probably still do it that way lol. I just HATE spending money on a CD only to listen to it and realize it's terrible, not what I expected at all or has a trope I absolutely hate :akazukin_tsk:
 
yup, but i just bought one lol, i will buy when it's discounted :p
 
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BlackF
Naturally, I can't buy everything I want, so I carefully select items I truly love or works I want to support and contribute to. However, even when I intend to be selective, I often end up buying more than planned, swayed by bonus items or sales 😅
 
Yes, although I don't buy them very often because, as others have mentioned, they can be quite expensive. When I decide to buy one, it's usually not because my favorite voice actor is in it or because it features a specific type of love interest. I'm usually drawn to the cover and artwork first, then I read the story to see if it actually interests me. I also tend to listen to the free preview before deciding. If everything catches my interest, then I'll buy it. For me, the artwork, story, character designs, and overall atmosphere matter much more than who the voice actor is.💟
 
I've bought around 120 drama CDs on DLsite so far — I usually pick them up during sales or promotions.

Often, I end up discovering a great voice actor just because I bought a CD with a good story. As for the cover art on drama CDs, I don't really care much about it — it doesn't affect the story. Of course, if the art is nice, that's a bonus. Who doesn't love a handsome guy with a great voice? xd
 
Same thoughts here! I rarely buy CDs, but when there is a big sale or discount on DLsite, I go all out and splurge 💸💸

As for what I think is worth spending on, I usually base it on the tags and story first, then on how good the sample is. I avoid using seiyuus as a basis as much as I can because I still want to discover more underrated yet talented CVs performing audio dramas with stories/scenarios I find intriguing. But ngl, if I see a favorite seiyuu of mine in a CD with tags I love, it will definitely be added to my cart immediately :LOL:
 
i'm really happy that i'm in a place where i can afford to nowadays! some seiyuu that i like are active on subscription platforms too so my money steadily sneaks away from me even if i don't have any new releases catching my eye
 
  • Like
Reactions: BlackF and Flowerr
I also only buy them once in a while, but usually when they are discounted (unless I see something that rlly piques my interest), I mainly look at the story and see who the VA is, and then decide whether I should buy after listening to the free sample, because I realise that there are certain sound qualities that I dont enjoy as much so I definitely need to hear how it sounds like first before buying!
 
  • Like
Reactions: BlackF
I usually buy my top 3 rank voice actor. Since I am kinda picky with voice and settings. I do not like drama cd with no plot. I love a little bit dark vibes plot, about strange village or summer vacation stories the most. Usually I buy drama cd in summer season. Probably I love cicadas noises.
 
  • Love
Reactions: BlackF
I usually buy otome cds whenever my favourite voice actor release them. Even though I know there will be a big sale in the future when the cds will be cheaper, I still buy them during the pre-order period so I can exchange for tokutens with others. Sometimes I might decide not to buy it if I don't like the settings.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BlackF
When I browse during a sale thinking, "I'll just take a quick look," I end up unable to resist and buying😆
It leads to new encounters, and even if I don't like, I just tell myself, "Well, it was only a discount, so it's fine."
 
for me, i have to like both the va and the story, i tend to get too excited and go overboard with my purchases so i have to restrict myself. i've only made a couple of purchases so far, but i try to wait for a sale unless its something i'm really excited to listen to.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BlackF
I'd really love to buy CDs, but it's quite inconvenient to get them outside Japan. I can only pick up a few occasionally when I join a group. Shipping issues really make it hard for me to purchase them.Saddd……
 
  • Like
Reactions: BlackF
More now than I used to, because DLsite is super convenient and easy to access. Getting access to content 20 years ago was a lot trickier.

Sometimes it's a matter of something going on sale. Sometimes it's finding a CD that I really like and wanting to support the creator. Sometimes it's just wanting to take a risk on something new.

I don't buy all the time, and a lot more of my money actually goes to games themselves. But once in a while, as a treat.
 
Last edited:
I like to buy physical copies, but since shipping is so expensive, I need to organize myself before getting anything or else I'll spend too much 😭 Also my main focus is in character songs and soundtracks, because they usually release bonus tracks or hidden tracks in those physical copies and there's no way of listening to them online. Wish Japan could make things easier for me...
 
  • Like
Reactions: failedwebsite
For me, it's all about the seiyuu and the plot! ♡ If my favorite VA is involved AND the story sounds good, my wallet is already in danger (¬‿¬) I always check the reviews first, though, because I'm not about to spend my money on a disappointing CD hehe. My wallet may be suffering, but at least I have standards! (≧▽≦)
 
Yeah, I collect both genre of drama cds on dlsite but they used to have way better sales and coupons a few years ago so I have drastically cut down on them along with that some tags are region-locked so I rarely look at the site now. Finally, I know the yen has been low for ages, but their prices on dlsite have risen quite alot along with my fav circles no longer produces any new cds or DJ VAs have retired too since when I started from the genre.

Then I still hope that my fav DJ VAs are doing well but most of the time I noticed he's just doing 3P cds, and it's v underwhelming but I know VA casting which will always be following new trends so he might be just less popular now than a few months ago too. Also, I have like so many cds of the same VA, settings, and scenarios already in my library, so it felt foolish to keep buying even more, but BLCD is just very slim pickings too that's not commercial cds.

TBH, my fav commercial VAs have moved on from the drama cd genre as they now mostly focus on games or anime series roles, so it's not like I'm missing out on them either in 2026. Also, the endless genAI covers is just p depressing me from looking at new upcoming works too 😔
 
Last edited:
Same, I rarely buy CDs, it's kinda expensive for me too. I also bought it if I like the seiyuu, or when I curious about it and the review is good, or when I already listened to the CD and I want to support them hehe