Thread: H Games wiki

Nobody expects the... Inquisitor's Avatar
    Thanks
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation First ClassThree FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

H Games wiki

This thread is for discussion of the H Games wiki.

FAQ
    • Anybody is free add their own H game wiki to our H games wiki. It can be for any game from any publisher.
    • The captcha code is hgames (if prompted)

I will add more information and helpful links to this post down the road.
    Last edited by Inquisitor; March 11th, 2014 at 07:25 AM.
    Ignore This Signature

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inquisitor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Overall activity: 0%
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Re: H Games wiki

Hello everyone,

I'm currently working on the H Games Wiki. I created new templates for company and game pages and I'm currently changing all game pages to the new template.

While that's happening I also hunt for unlinked game pages or just check the orphaned, uncategorized or unlinked pages sections to see what else should be fixed.

I'm also writing some tutorial pages for basic page creation.

Random thoughts:
    • Except for game pages, there are some modding and even translation related articles spread over the wiki. Maybe those should be moved to their own Namespace and get a "Modder's portal" frontpage.
    • There's an abandoned (unlinked) HGames_Wiki:Community_Portal that may be useful for the Help: Namespace or on the main page.
    Inquisitor likes this.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hmoeller For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience PointsThree Friends

Hi,
    I'm currently trying to reorganize the stuff in the wiki. Would be great if you could come over and help us getting the wiki up to date.
    I am also working on a bot for mass changes, but it's far from beeing completetd.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trololove For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by trololove View Post
    Hi,
    I'm currently trying to reorganize the stuff in the wiki. Would be great if you could come over and help us getting the wiki up to date.
    I am also working on a bot for mass changes, but it's far from beeing completetd.
    You already helped a lot. What do you mean by "if you could come over and help us getting the wiki up to date"?

Quote Originally Posted by hmoeller View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'm currently working on the H Games Wiki. I created new templates for company and game pages and I'm currently changing all game pages to the new template.

While that's happening I also hunt for unlinked game pages or just check the orphaned, uncategorized or unlinked pages sections to see what else should be fixed.

I'm also writing some tutorial pages for basic page creation.

Random thoughts:
    • Except for game pages, there are some modding and even translation related articles spread over the wiki. Maybe those should be moved to their own Namespace and get a "Modder's portal" frontpage.
    • There's an abandoned (unlinked) HGames_Wiki:Community_Portal that may be useful for the Help: Namespace or on the main page.
    It's a great idea with the modder's portal. Please post if you have some links you think I should add to the first post.
    Ignore This Signature

Thanks
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor View Post
    What do you mean by "if you could come over and help us getting the wiki up to date"?
    Getting a suitable logo, propably some custom skin for the wiki and reorganizing content (I am a bit unhappy with the content structure; I am thinking about creating subpages).
    I am planning to get some CSS and wikiscript skills as soon as I am done with my bot, so I can help creating a custom skin (only with coding the skin, I am a horrible designer / drawer) and write a few own plugins for the wiki.
    Currently I am thinking about a voting tool for hgames concerning following categories (subject to change):
    • Graphics
    • Story
    • Interactivity
    • H

That should help people to decide wether the game is worse to download or not (I experienced this with Happy End Trigger: I downloaded that huge game and had to discover that my templates on the hgames wiki have more interactivity then this piece of ****). I already did a template for this, but I personally think it's useless since it would only reflect the oppinion of the latest editor.
    Oh, and yes I have great plans for the wiki... propably enough for the next 10 years...

I am also looking forward to the release of mediawiki v.1.23 which will bring great new features(VISUAL EDITOR(!!)).
    Last edited by trololove; March 11th, 2014 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Forgot something (shame on me)
    Inquisitor likes this.

Thanks
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by trololove View Post
    Getting a suitable logo, propably some custom skin for the wiki and reorganizing content (I am a bit unhappy with the content structure; I am thinking about creating subpages).
    I am planning to get some CSS and wikiscript skills as soon as I am done with my bot, so I can help creating a custom skin (only with coding the skin, I am a horrible designer / drawer) and write a few own plugins for the wiki.
    Currently I am thinking about a voting tool for hgames concerning following categories (subject to change):
    • Graphics
    • Story
    • Interactivity
    • H

That should help people to decide wether the game is worse to download or not (I experienced this with Happy End Trigger: I downloaded that huge game and had to discover that my templates on the hgames wiki have mor interactivity then this piece of ****). I already did a template for this, but I personally think it's useless since it would only reflect the oppinion of the latest editor.
    Oh, and yes I have great plans for the wiki... propably enough for the next 10 years...

I am also looking forward to the release of mediawiki v.1.23 which will bring great new features(VISUAL EDITOR(!!)).
    You have some great ideas! I'd love to see the voting feature implemented! That would be a great help to new users although some of the old games might not get many votes, meaning they could easily be over/underrated.

Regarding custom skin I'm more reluctant. There has been a general consensus in the mod club that we hated the Wikia skin and preferred the MediaWiki default skin. This is primarily because the of the typeface and heading styles. I wouldn't mind a different color scheme, though I would prefer it to be HF/AS like, which would mean it probably should be rather minor.

I think it should be possible to update to the new MediaWiki version, but I prefer the pure text editor because it is much easier to see what's what and I have permanently disabled Wikia's visual editor. In addition I have often seen that other contributors edits done with the visual editor ending up effing up the page hierarchy.
    Ignore This Signature

Thanks
    Achievements:

That would be a great help to new users although some of the old games might not get many votes, meaning they could easily be over/underrated.
    I also see that problem of over/underrating, but I am a bit into algorithms and already made up a small concept how to prohibit major over/underrating.

Regarding custom skin I'm more reluctant. There has been a general consensus in the mod club that we hated the Wikia skin and preferred the MediaWiki default skin. This is primarily because the of the typeface and heading styles. I wouldn't mind a different color scheme, though I would prefer it to be HF/AS like, which would mean it probably should be rather minor.
    What do you mean with "the Wiki skin"? I am thinking of a more refreshed skin like this one(transperancy, propably even a changing background image, depending on the article you currently have opened), but for me it's more important to get a better navigation system into the skin - propably with a plugin which is integrated in the skin.

I think it should be possible to update to the new MediaWiki version, but I prefer the pure text editor because it is much easier to see what's what and I have permanently disabled Wikia's visual editor. In addition I have often seen that other contributors edits done with the visual editor ending up effing up the page hierarchy.
    Oh, the visual editor is already out? I thought it's only bundled with the 1.23 preview ^^. When you say that it messes up the page code, I can only agree with your desicion to disable it.

Thanks
    Achievements:

Nah, I think the visual editor on Wikia is their own. I wouldn't mind enabling the visual editor at all. Most edits will be fine using it and many contributors don't like to have code in the text when editing.

Regarding the skin I guess we are in opposite camps, lol. With skin I obviously mean everything from fonts, colors, background etc. I prefer the standard MediaWiki, but I'm open to trying some things, like a different background image on for instance the front page of each specific wiki.
    Ignore This Signature

Thanks
    Achievements:

Ok, I see your point. I think we can postpone the discussion about the skin until I have a concept and know what's possible anyway ^^

Thanks
    Achievements:

Maintenance report #1

I am starting mass maintenance of all Illusion games: Changing all pages to the new hgame template.
    Aprox. Time: 60 minutes.
    1. Adding the "maintenance in progress"-notice to all pages which will be changed [18:14:17 - 18:16:57]
    2. Replacing the old template with the new hgame-template [18:20:08 - 18:41:01]
      ---> Some things got messed up by the bot, gonna fix that before proceeding with the next step [18:45 - 18:55]
    3. Converting the old templates, so they can be used in the new one [18:56 - 19:03]
    4. Removing the maintenance notice [19:07:23 - 19:12:56]

Total time: [18:14:17 - 19:12:56] 59 minutes
    So far everything worked, but I had to correct some things manually. In some cases the template can't be used correctly, because the pagename is not the same as the template name.
    Last edited by trololove; March 12th, 2014 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Maintenance complete

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trololove For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information