What makes something an anime?

walimd

Jun 11, 2015
This is a question I have pretty strong views on. I don't know why, but I can get strangely heated over this.

What do you think makes something 'anime'? Does it have to be made in Japan, by Japanese people? Does it simply have to come from Japan? Be in Japanese? Include sushi (wut)?

Personally, I think anime is a style. Anyone from anywhere can make an anime, as long as they use the anime style. In my opinion, saying it's only anime if it comes from Japan is like saying pizza is only pizza if it comes from Italy.

What are your thoughts?

Hmm... If this a anime topic be should, then please pay attention that anime related topics (or if about games are then please in Game Talk section etc.) only in the Anime Talk section set, because this is a violation vs. to rule(s) of ASF, okay?

But I guess, because you're still fresh on the forum, you can't for that...:goodtea:

[MENTION=26]KingArturia[/MENTION];

This is a question I have pretty strong views on. I don't know why, but I can get strangely heated over this.

What do you think makes something 'anime'? Does it have to be made in Japan, by Japanese people? Does it simply have to come from Japan? Be in Japanese? Include sushi (wut)?

Personally, I think anime is a style. Anyone from anywhere can make an anime, as long as they use the anime style. In my opinion, saying it's only anime if it comes from Japan is like saying pizza is only pizza if it comes from Italy.

What are your thoughts?
Anime are anime because they come from Japan, it is as simple as that.

Haven't seen this one myself but look at the artstyle:

horriblesubs-panty-and-stocking-with-garterbelt-03-480p-mkv_snapshot_03-56_2010-10-20_14-03-14.jpg

This is an anime as well.

Looking at the print medium, they work with the same distinction. And it makes sense.

Manga are from Japan.
Manhwa are from South Korea.
Manhua are from China.

...is anime not a original Japanese term: It's from the English term animation in Japanese converted...

Btw, in anime counts also western cartoons, like The Simpsons or Tom & Jerry etc.

That's known but considering we are typing in English, we are taking the view from a non-Japanese person. For us, something like Manga is clearly defined. Anime was also clearly defined until some people started arguing otherwise. Following their line of arguments, the question is: "Where do anime end and cartoons begin"? What I posted above could rather easily be categorized as a cartoon (looking at the artstyle (even though that's not everything)). But what about Avatar? For me, the artstyle says cartoon but almost everything else says anime. In the end, people would never reach an agreement which is why almost all people say that anime are cartoons made in Japan (with animation work done elsewhere more than often -.-).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Mistersmiles wrote on ramori's profile.
Hi Ramori,

Could you please upload this? https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01168783.html

Thanks a ton.
seviness wrote on Shine's profile.
can you reupload this? thx.

✨Shine✨[240412][グラス] 洗脳悪堕ちSRPG~トルカ教団の野望~ [RJ01166925]

Isagi wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, can you please upload this?
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/request-rj01183696-ムラムラ村-or-muramuramura-ピンクコーポレーション-新米olの淫らな闘い.1472795/
Thanks
Anchobee wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, thanks for the upload of RJ01150742, seems like you locked the rar for mp3 so can I have the pw for it?