[Discussions] WOW #3 - May 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignis

Administrator
Admin
Oct 16, 2010

heading0.png

This is a discussion thread for WOW #3. Here you can ask questions, post comments, and even post your draft work for others to comment on. While you can edit your entry submission post and remake your entry as many times as you please before the deadline, if you think there's still something missing from your story, consider posting it here first if you'd like to ask advice from your fellow entrants.

The theme for WOW #3 is BLESSINGS.
Savour every moment, for what you take for granted could be someone else's lifetime desire.

This theme shouldn't be taken to mean "blessings" in the religious sense. It has nothing to do with religiosity and everything with having a general appreciative feeling for whatever you have so that you can make wine when life gives you sour grapes. I'm not sure that's the correct proverb, but whatever. By the way, don't drink if you're underage, mmkay? But I digress. While this theme may sound all positive and motivational, so did last round's theme of "wish", yet we had a handful of dark-themed entries. Let's see how far your imaginative talents can take you. Best of luck to all participants!

Theme inspired by none other than [MENTION=93850]|♚| KK |♚|[/MENTION], the official proprietor of this contest.

The deadline is on 31 MAY 2016.
You MAY edit your entry submission post as many times as you please before the deadline.

Please submit your entry before the deadline. If you're unsure about certain aspects of your draft entry, feel free to ask around in the discussion thread. You can have only ONE post in the entry submission thread, but you're not restricted from discussing the WoW as much as you want in the discussion thread. The deadline may be extended on our discretion if circumstances necessitate it, but it won't be shortened for no reason, so rest assured and don't rush. Take your time to make a masterpiece!

This thread is only for DISCUSSIONS!
To submit your entry, please go to this thread instead.

Oh, what a wonderful theme :bigeyes: Thank you [MENTION=93850]|♚| KK |♚|[/MENTION]; and Ignis!~

Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'll be able to enter in this one as exam period is almost here for me :deadsad: Shame, since I really adore this theme too!

With that said, I wish the best of luck for everyone that enters! :)

Oh my, this theme is so wonderful...~ Thank you [MENTION=2]Ignis[/MENTION]; for the lovely idea ♥

Oh, what a wonderful theme :bigeyes: Thank you [MENTION=93850]|♚| KK |♚|[/MENTION]; and Ignis!~

Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'll be able to enter in this one as exam period is almost here for me :deadsad: Shame, since I really adore this theme too!

Nah, the gratitude is all mine to all past and would-be participants :)

That sucks, but it can't be helped, I guess (which reminds me, my sister is having hers next week, too). Ain't nobody's gonna accept an excuse like "I slumped because I spent the time I could've spent on cramming studying on Internet contests" anyway. I'm looking forward to your future participation, then, with hopes that the future themes will attract you as well!

Oh my, this theme is so wonderful...~ Thank you [MENTION=2]Ignis[/MENTION]; for the lovely idea ♥
No problem; you were inspiring, anyway. Glad you like it!

You know what one of my blessings are?

It's you guys (girls: only apply to you if you are a girl) and I love all of you from the bottom of my heart which is located near my sternum...I think.

Yes, I love you even if you are male, Bromance.
If you are a girl...I guess....Sismance?

Anyway, you know what I mean. I don't need to explain.

Exams suck! I have one in thursday. I don't like it, I have to take it though. I want to have a nice future.

I am here browsing ASF because I've pretty much done what I could do....I think. I'll be fine

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah, the gratitude is all mine to all past and would-be participants :)

That sucks, but it can't be helped, I guess (which reminds me, my sister is having hers next week, too). Ain't nobody's gonna accept an excuse like "I slumped because I spent the time I could've spent on cramming studying on Internet contests" anyway. I'm looking forward to your future participation, then, with hopes that the future themes will attract you as well

Good luck to your sister! May she ace her exams with flying colours~ :cheerleader: Hahah, if only that could be considered a valid excuse for failing one's exams xD

I have no doubt that I'll love all the themes you and K-chan will come up with in the future :fulfilled:

Exams suck! I have one in thursday. I don't like it, I have to take it though. I want to have a nice future.

I am here browsing ASF because I've pretty much done what I could do....I think. I'll be fine

Agreed! I hope you do smashingly on your exams. Best of luck of with them! :fulfilled:

Also, it's nice to meet you, ancer_nyaa :) Your entry for WOW #2 was a lovely read! (That goes for everyone else who entered as well; you all did an amazing job!)

In my opinion, all the WOW themes are really inspirational; this one is too! Nice theme! :dthumbup:
Also, I noticed that poems are allowed this time... I'm just being curious, but is it a new rule that is going to be implemented in all WOWs from now on, or just made specifically for this theme?

It seems like it's exam week for a lot of people here... Good luck ancer_nyaa, Velenora and Ignis' sister for your exams! Hope you do well and defeat all those exams! :fulfilled: Mine is at the end of the month, but you know, I think homeworks are more annoying than exams :dead:

So....I'm currently accepting members for my Procrastination Club...so...uh, you in? I mean, we're both in a journey of Dark Souls Education ver. so why not be together in a club.

I don't know about your work but writing a research paper about the history of doorknob is not fun. Stay strong, brother, it will end some day.

(Disclaimer: History of Doorknob is something I am not researching. It is there for the sake of a joke)

Late reply but count me in for that club if it exists xD but wouldn't we all be procrastinating to join the Procrastinating Club itself?
I thought you were really working on History of Doorknobs when I was reading your post >.> Coincidentally, I also had a similar homework where I have to write on the history of one of the subjects I am taking... (It's not really relevant to the subject and not fun either but what can I say?)
Anyways, stay strong too!

Good luck to your sister! May she ace her exams with flying colours~ :cheerleader: Hahah, if only that could be considered a valid excuse for failing one's exams xD

I have no doubt that I'll love all the themes you and K-chan will come up with in the future :fulfilled:
Thanks, Vel ヽ(=´▽`=)ノ We'll strive to choose good themes in the future as well!

In my opinion, all the WOW themes are really inspirational; this one is too! Nice theme! :dthumbup:
Also, I noticed that poems are allowed this time... I'm just being curious, but is it a new rule that is going to be implemented in all WOWs from now on, or just made specifically for this theme?

It seems like it's exam week for a lot of people here... Good luck ancer_nyaa, Velenora and Ignis' sister for your exams! Hope you do well and defeat all those exams! :fulfilled: Mine is at the end of the month, but you know, I think homeworks are more annoying than exams :dead:
Glad you like them. I guess it helps that I try to snip a quote from someone famous to give more "oomph" to the theme. ;) And thanks for the wish! Hope you all ace yours, too. Now I feel lonely for not having exams approaching.

As for poems being allowed, I'm not sure. We'll see about that. This time around I just asked KK as I saw her being online briefly when I was about to make the new round. But we both like poems too, so why not?

I had this really good idea for this month......I forgot what it is.
Spend some time to ponder while in the bathroom. Usually works for me. No, I'm serious.

Can someone define "Taking It For Granted". I have knowledge on what it means but I just wanted to know it better.

Can someone define "Taking It For Granted". I have knowledge on what it means but I just wanted to know it better.
When you take something for granted, it means that you're used to having that something and expect that something to always be there, always available for you. You don't feel thankful for it as you only think it natural to have that something around.

For example, someone who was born into a wealthy family may take her riches for granted. Because she's never tasted poverty, she may expect to be wealthy for her life. She may feel that it's only natural for her to be rich and that there's nothing unusual about it. She may not know how it feels to have to break one's back working just to have breadcrumbs and can't even imagine such a condition happening to her.

This theme is centred on the idea of feeling grateful for everything you have, as what you've naturally had even from birth may be something others have to struggle very hard to obtain.

Reactions: ancer_nyaa
I remembered my "Golden Idea" after staying in the shower for a couple of hours per day. It wasn't that Golden

I remembered my "Golden Idea" after staying in the shower for a couple of hours per day. It wasn't that Golden
That's quite alright. As most financial analysts will tell you, an idea only plays a partial role in determining whether or not you'll succeed; the execution is where it matters. I'd argue that it also applies to writing (and virtually everything else).

Do you have a typical idea that you're thinking of turning into an atypical piece? Maybe we can help, like with suggestions and such? (Of course, it's fine if you'd rather keep it a secret until you post your entry yourself.)

Do you have a typical idea that you're thinking of turning into an atypical piece? Maybe we can help, like with suggestions and such? (Of course, it's fine if you'd rather keep it a secret until you post your entry yourself.)

I am making it a funny one....I think it will be funny...

I am making it a funny one....I think it will be funny...
I see. Not sure I'd be able to help with that, since, well, humour has to come naturally. Besides, I reside in the realm of blood and tears, not laughs. Nonetheless, good luck to you and looking forward to your entry.

I see. Not sure I'd be able to help with that, since, well, humour has to come naturally.

I'm fit for it since I am pretty sure I have ADD and it leads to a lot of stupid stuff. Whether it is a good one or not is up to the future

I'm fit for it since I am pretty sure I have ADD and it leads to a lot of stupid stuff. Whether it is a good one or not is up to the future
Oh, sorry to hear that. But, hey, if that makes you able to crack jokes easily, I'd say that fits pretty well with the theme, as there's always the good to be had within the bad :)

Mine became more of a Infomercial than a short story. Maybe, I have a talent for making really bad informercial. Well, I guess I'll skip on making 3D Landscapes

Mine became more of a Infomercial than a short story. Maybe, I have a talent for making really bad informercial. Well, I guess I'll skip on making 3D Landscapes
An... informercial. Okay. I don't know how you could end up writing an infomercial out of what was supposed to be a short story, much less what it has to do with 3D landscapes, or how skipping the latter could have any impact on the former, or why I think too much over the simplest of things...

Cough. In any case, I'll just see what you'll come up with.

All righty, take your time.
[MENTION=125499]8Laelia8[/MENTION]; Oh my, a poem. It reflects what I had in mind when I wrote the opening post for this round really well. I particularly like the last couplet of the first paragraph and how you emphasise on the value of both 'styles' of life, that there's always something to feel grateful for. I fixed the formatting in your post; I hope you don't mind. Thanks for participating!

Thank you very much :3 and no I don't mind at all, I was hoping there was a way someone could fix it haha. I'm not very clued up on forum features since I tend to lurk rather than join in.... it literally took me just over an hour to even get the spoiler thing to appear in the post when I hit preview xD

I tried to end my poem on a lighter note cos I have a tendancy to write really dark poems and I didn't wanna be entirely doom and gloom on this cos it's a really sweet and important theme :D
:lapi_cheer:

Thank you very much :3 and no I don't mind at all, I was hoping there was a way someone could fix it haha. I'm not very clued up on forum features since I tend to lurk rather than join in.... it literally took me just over an hour to even get the spoiler thing to appear in the post when I hit preview xD

I tried to end my poem on a lighter note cos I have a tendancy to write really dark poems and I didn't wanna be entirely doom and gloom on this cos it's a really sweet and important theme :D
:lapi_cheer:
I see. Glad to have helped. That's understandable; I guess there are some features you'll need to hear from others or try things out or see them in action to know how to use them, just like the smilies/stickers.

Ha, you're not alone in having such a tendency (at least for dark stuff in general; I rarely write poems). It's supposed to be a sweet theme, sure, but I wonder if anyone will manage to twist it―not necessarily in a negative way―to fit a dark-themed story or poem they're intent on entering.

Status
Not open for further replies.