what's your ideal Otome Game ?

I thought that there's largely two types of otome games: simulation-based, and novel-based.
Simulation-based have stat raising, fighting, exploration, or mystery-solving as a prominent feature that is needed in the game. (ex. Wand of Fortune, Eikoku Tantei Mysteria, La Corda, TMGS)
Visual Novels are choose-your-own-adventure games. (Ex. Amnesia, Kamigami no Asobi, Hiro no Kakera) They can incorporate mini-games, but it's not the main aspect of the story.

Recent otome games have been leaning towards visual novels, where "correct" choices gives you "love points." They give users quicker gratification and the doki-doki feels, which is great for people who are just getting into the genre.
On the other hand, games that are simulation-based, which used to be the mainstream before Hakuouki in 2008, are declining in number. So newer gamers are more accustomed to otome games being more visual novel-like.

It's only natural for people to have different ideals, but when we talk about ideals, I guess we should consider which side we lean towards.

I thought that there's largely two types of otome games: simulation-based, and novel-based.
Simulation-based have stat raising, fighting, exploration, or mystery-solving as a prominent feature that is needed in the game. (ex. Wand of Fortune, Eikoku Tantei Mysteria, La Corda, TMGS)
Visual Novels are choose-your-own-adventure games. (Ex. Amnesia, Kamigami no Asobi, Hiro no Kakera) They can incorporate mini-games, but it's not the main aspect of the story.

That's a great point, and thanks for mentioning "Choose you own adventure" games. :gakuran_thanks:

@ Shiiromay
That's a good point of view. An objective one at least, so I guess you have a point ^^
Let's say we just have different opinions about these things.

But, hey, aren't we straying off the topic ? xD

PS : I like the concept of "choose your own adventure", but there are usually lots of limits for a plot... or more like, there would be too many possibilities ! So I really liked how they did it in Amnesia :D

@Mizuno

Thank you ;)
Yeah, to each their one :D

Mmm, we talked about the versions of ideal otome games in "ideal otome game" thread, so who knows. Maybe it's the off-topic. :nyanmusu_confused:

I don't think discussing if any gaming elements have a spot in ideal otome games is offtopic, just discussing minigames in all games was.

My ideal otome game will forever be a VN that sticks to a standard pick-reply formula X:

In my humble opinion, when the plot is just average, mini-games are really suitable. When the game's plot is a fine masterpiece, then I see no meaning in them.

But it's really rare to find a masterpiece (to my personal preference), so I do prefer simulation games rather than just visual novels. Like, tokimeki memorial, I wouldn't be able to play that game without all the extra content of raising status and everything, since the plot per si is just too common. So most of the time I find myself looking for interative games... By the way, is there any other otome game like Prince Maker?

:gokiko_blush:

In my humble opinion, when the plot is just average, mini-games are really suitable. When the game's plot is a fine masterpiece, then I see no meaning in them.

But it's really rare to find a masterpiece (to my personal preference), so I do prefer simulation games rather than just visual novels. Like, tokimeki memorial, I wouldn't be able to play that game without all the extra content of raising status and everything, since the plot per si is just too common. So most of the time I find myself looking for interative games...

I couldn't agree more. :nyanmusu_agreed:

By the way, is there any other otome game like Prince Maker?

Perhaps "Long Live the Queen"?

But it's really rare to find a masterpiece (to my personal preference), so I do prefer simulation games rather than just visual novels. Like, tokimeki memorial, I wouldn't be able to play that game without all the extra content of raising status and everything, since the plot per si is just too common. So most of the time I find myself looking for interative games... By the way, is there any other otome game like Prince Maker?

:gokiko_blush:

What about Dear My Sun from D3 Publishers?
You have two options for a son, and there'e three types personalities per boy.
It's a very interesting game where the main character, for the first time in otome games (I think) is a mom.

There are also other games like, Ayashi no Miya and Palais De Reine, if you want to "nurture" kingdoms instead of kids. ;)

Reactions: Taah
I don't like games that just set up scenario of girl-meet-boys, boys-eat-girl like this one (I think this game is for masochist people . All I could see is the girl being abused by those vampires). I personally like games featuring a strong/tomboyish protagonist, or at least she has the ability to stand up for herself and people she loves. One more thing about the ideal otome game in my mind is the setting. It's OK to use school setting but the story should be interesting and unique, not just boring daily life and teenager feeling issue. That's my thought about an ideal otome game. :)

What about Dear My Sun from D3 Publishers?

Ohmygosh, this is game is so what I want to play, but sadly I don't have a PS2 anymore. But tell me, have you played? Is the japanese level too high?

There are also other games like, Ayashi no Miya and Palais De Reine, if you want to "nurture" kingdoms instead of kids. ;)

I will also check them out!

I don't like games that just set up scenario of girl-meet-boys, boys-eat-girl like this one (I think this game is for masochist people . All I could see is the girl being abused by those vampires).
I was first confused at "boy-eats-girl" but then I rofled when I looked at the link. XD

Ohmygosh, this is game is so what I want to play, but sadly I don't have a PS2 anymore. But tell me, have you played? Is the japanese level too high?

Hmm, I'm a native speaker so I'm not so sure how to answer your question. (I haven't played it btw, I watched my friend play through one route though) The language was simple and colloquial, but it's been such a while so I'm not so sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

nobis_c wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Is it possible to update these?
まものす to v24.04.03
Zookeeper Mission! 2 (JP ver) to v23.12.08
Rann wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
Hi, please upload love n live lucky teacher V 2.0.0 :(

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2445340/Love_n_Life_Lucky_Teacher/
eiennosora wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
[RJ397008][モルモットのゲージ] 魔法少女リカとモンスター化ダンジョン
A new version is now available, can you PLEASE reupload this one? Thank you.
eiennosora wrote on Shine's profile.
[RJ397008][モルモットのゲージ] 魔法少女リカとモンスター化ダンジョン
A new version is now available, can you PLEASE reupload this one? Thank you.
Kallenarmaya wrote on Stetmann's profile.
Nice to meet you!
Thank you so much for the piece you posted, I really appreciate it!

I would like to ask you, do you have the "交わる男女と恋心♥汁だくセ●クス" and "凜子スペシャルドラマCD" of "退魔忍 秋山凛子"?

If so, I would like you to post them!