What do you think of Windows 10?

What do you think of Windows 10?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Overall, its definately an improvement to windows 7 and they are moving slowly towards touch screen monitors.

So, what are these "improvements" for a regular user like me?

I havn't tried W10. I don't really trust an OS with built in marketed advertising aka spyware. I don't like to see ads in Solitaire. I would hope the pro retail version isn't as bloated.

I prefer to be in control of my system. I always customise my OS for a minimalist look and would not be using that default desktop. I have no touchscreen tablet or a need for a digital assistant either.
Exactly. I also just remembered that Windows 10 comes with a pre-installed Candy Crush. Urgh.

Reactions: Tee
So, what are these "improvements" for a regular user like me?
Well, I've only had it for 2 days but so far, its superior in every way. Lets see here, from the average user's standpoints, Everything is much more organized and it allows for a very in-depth amount of personalization. You can customize almost every aspect of the basic interface. It might not sounds like much but the amount of time you save doing basic stuff like opening folders, getting to applications, getting to mail, adjusting system settings or other stuff is going to improve which will ultimately save you time in the long run. All of those small things although miniscule in time will add up. The default programs it comes installed with are nifty too. The overall impression I had was that everything is integrated with organization and convenience in mind.

A few problems I've encountered so far is some programs do not work and for some reason my printer too. If you play alot of Eroge(which is my own personal reason for coming here) then your probably familiar with Text-Hook programs(AGTH or ITH) in combination with some form of machine translation(atlas, translation aggregator) when playing VNs. Unfortunately, ITH does not work on windows 10 but ITHVNR does.

One of the things I really wanted them to add was Tabbed Folders but they didn't so I guess my suggestion to Microsoft was ignored. The mistake Microsoft had with windows 8 was that they tried to change everything such as the basic interface too much and thats primarily why most people have a low opinion of it. Of course with any unfamiliar thing, it's always going to take time to adjust but the potential is clearly there.

I'm apart of the Windows Insider program so I knew about Window 10 Previews keylogger but I think the final build doesn't have that now. The reason for the keylogger was to see how the make windows 10 better etc. The final build of Windows 10 is ok but if your worried about privacy there has always been some cases where companies dont protect it. The way to make privacy safe windows 10 is to use local account and turn off the features that take hold of your private information. The thing is I see there point of view on finding out peoples personal data but they are going about it the wrong way in my way of thinking.

Well, I've only had it for 2 days but so far, its superior in every way. Lets see here, from the average user's standpoints, Everything is much more organized and it allows for a very in-depth amount of personalization. You can customize almost every aspect of the basic interface. It might not sounds like much but the amount of time you save doing basic stuff like opening folders, getting to applications, getting to mail, adjusting system settings or other stuff is going to improve which will ultimately save you time in the long run. All of those small things although miniscule in time will add up. The default programs it comes installed with are nifty too. The overall impression I had was that everything is integrated with organization and convenience in mind.
In what sense is it much more organized? Or rather, what exactly? The Microsoft stuff in Windows 7 is organized as well, obviously. I can easily make changes in the control panel, if I so desire. What I install myself, I can choose where to put it (apart from some configurations, save games etc which often go in the user folder). And yeah, personalization. I've done that. I've deactivated a lot of bloat software which made my PC a lot faster. If I want to see the weather or anything of the sort, I can activate it again (or I spend less than 10 seconds looking on the internet where I always am anyway). As far as I know, you adjust system settings only once, so it's not much time saving. Getting to applications? You mean putting shortcuts on the desktop, on the task bar, the start menu or somewhere else? That possibility has been around for a while... The default programs don't mean much if you either don't need it (they will just bloat your PC) or if you already have better ones. The only software I use from Microsoft is Microsoft Office and that, I installed myself.

For decades, many programs have some level of tracking to help devs. The problem is average users have no clue if they really turn off that 'feature' and exactly what information is being given out. These days all companies have obligations to lets say higher powers. Theres plenty of other 3rd parties looking to exploit anything connected to the internet for personal gain.

As for marketing, I can understand it when browsing websites, but adding that to default applications feels too invasive and looks tacky. I guess this appeals to mobile users who will think nothing of it, seeing ads in everything is ok to them.

In the future they'll be purchasing Cortana voice changing dlc using platinum gems or by filling in questionnaires for an hour.

In what sense is it much more organized? Or rather, what exactly? The Microsoft stuff in Windows 7 is organized as well, obviously. I can easily make changes in the control panel, if I so desire. What I install myself, I can choose where to put it (apart from some configurations, save games etc which often go in the user folder). And yeah, personalization. I've done that. I've deactivated a lot of bloat software which made my PC a lot faster. If I want to see the weather or anything of the sort, I can activate it again (or I spend less than 10 seconds looking on the internet where I always am anyway). As far as I know, you adjust system settings only once, so it's not much time saving. Getting to applications? You mean putting shortcuts on the desktop, on the task bar, the start menu or somewhere else? That possibility has been around for a while... The default programs don't mean much if you either don't need it (they will just bloat your PC) or if you already have better ones. The only software I use from Microsoft is Microsoft Office and that, I installed myself.
I've only had it for a few days so I'm not sure on the specifics but they say a pictures worth a thousand words. Everything you see on the left side is completely personalized the way I set it up. Don't read too much into the programs themselves, those are just what I personally use a lot. You can adjust expand it, change size of icons and move the icons around like a jigsaw puzzle. They don't necessarily have to be right next to each other. Theres much more but its difficult for me to explain when actually asked lol

11h9gqx.png

As I previously mentioned, The good thing with Windows 10 is that Microsoft didn't change it TOO much(Windows 8 changed it interface too much and got bad reputation for it). If they did then users would have to completely re-adjust and it would detract users from switching OS because they aren't familiar with it. As it stands now, I can recommend upgrading to windows 10. It wouldn't take long to familiarize yourself with it since its basically an improved version of windows 7 and most importantly, its a free.

I'm on Windows 10 and this is the last time in a lifetime I will upgrade my system to a newer version of Windows. You know why? Because Microsoft released a new Windows build too early. It's only been freaking 3 years and they decide to bring "Windows 10" to the market. Windows 8.1 was rubbish and they didn't even bother to fix Windows 8 whether it had any bugs or not. I might be wrong about that but still. I don't think I'll ever upgrade my system again unless technology and computers become way better and more advanced and something new comes in. They plan to make touch screen monitors. I don't like putting a finger on my pc screen or even getting smudge on it. lol. What makes them think I'll buy a touch screen PC? .-.

I've only had it for a few days so I'm not sure on the specifics but they say a pictures worth a thousand words. Everything you see on the left side is completely personalized the way I set it up. Don't read too much into the programs themselves, those are just what I personally use a lot. You can adjust expand it, change size of icons and move the icons around like a jigsaw puzzle. They don't necessarily have to be right next to each other. Theres much more but its difficult for me to explain when actually asked lol

11h9gqx.png

As I previously mentioned, The good thing with Windows 10 is that Microsoft didn't change it TOO much(Windows 8 changed it interface too much and got bad reputation for it). If they did then users would have to completely re-adjust and it would detract users from switching OS because they aren't familiar with it. As it stands now, I can recommend upgrading to windows 10. It wouldn't take long to familiarize yourself with it since its basically an improved version of windows 7 and most importantly, its a free.
So it's pretty much the same as your standard start menu? Mine lists the latest applications that I used and I can put whatever links to applications etc there if I want to. The only thing that I can't do is adjusting the size but that's where the desktop comes into play. And why need a start menu in general, when you can have whatever you use on your screen? You can adjust the size and place it however you want. I can put 192 folders/shortcuts and whatnot there (on my 24'' screen) and even more if I activate free placement. Alternatively, if you don't want to place anything anywhere, just press the start button on your keyboard, type "word" and press enter to open Microsoft Word (not even the mouse is needed for that). That works with applications and folders alike.
So in essence, I have three options (four, if you count placing shortcuts in your taskbar) to get to my program/folder at the same speed or even faster than what you described/showed.

I'm on Windows 10 and this is the last time in a lifetime I will upgrade my system to a newer version of Windows. You know why? Because Microsoft released a new Windows build too early. It's only been freaking 3 years and they decide to bring "Windows 10" to the market. Windows 8.1 was rubbish and they didn't even bother to fix Windows 8 whether it had any bugs or not. I might be wrong about that but still. I don't think I'll ever upgrade my system again unless technology and computers become way better and more advanced and something new comes in. They plan to make touch screen monitors. I don't like putting a finger on my pc screen or even getting smudge on it. lol. What makes them think I'll buy a touch screen PC? .-.
It's the same for me. I have absolutely no interest in a touchscreen. So any features/programs for that is wasted effort and unneccessary bloatware on your system. Luckily, I'm never one of the early adopters. I'm not there to iron out bugs and I saw what happened to the XP people who switched to Windows Vista as early as it was available.

I'm really impressed by Win10. I upgraded from Win7 on my laptop, which I use for work and everything else. I didn't have to install a single programm again, everything worked like it did with Win7 and it boots and shuts down in around five seconds (on Win7 it took around half minute on my six year old laptop).

Primarily I upgraded because of the gaming features I'm looking forward to, like the cross play feature and the XBL-app. I just started the XBL app once, but so far I didn't have the time to try out everything. And if everything works fine I wouldn't mind to upgrade from Win7 on my pc too.

On the other side I can say that it's not really "finished", since some "features" aren't available in all regions so far. Cortana for example will only work if you choose the right region settings, but anyway, MS said they will add more regions and languages later. But yeah, for me it's not really useful, since I won't use it, haha.

The upgrade took me around one and a half hour and I haven't noticed anything so far that worked under Win7 but not under Win10. And I'm really happy about the performance boost, so for me the upgrade was worthwile. Now I'll test it for a few months until I upgrade my pc and there I hope I'll see some improvements in the gaming section as well, since I'm primarily using my pc for work and not for gaming.

After seeing many review about Windows 10, anyone concerned with forced security update and Cortana that can track most of computer activities?

Windows 10 is "good". I can see this new OS as bad if I want to but objectively, it's good. The new UI is pretty nice. There's a cool tablet mode too.
Tablet Mode
It's all pretty neat (albeit all I have said so far are pretty wishy-washy)
The only(?) problems are privacy settings, and as above mentioned, Cortana and forced security updates.
As to if I'm concerned, I'm half concerned.
I have encountered people on the internet having a Disk use percentage problem (Constant 100%) solved by disabling update
settings (disable background downloading/installing) a while back.
The forced security update might pose a problem for old computers that can't take it. I personally don't give a damn about it.
I still have no idea how it'll affect me and so far, it hasn't ruined my computer.

As for Cortana, it's so ambiguous that it's scary:
(If people haven't read the privacy statement, here ya go)
... Microsoft collects and uses various types of data, such as your device location, data from your calendar, the apps you use, data from your emails and text messages, who you call, your contacts and how often you interact with them on your device. Cortana also learns about you by collecting data about how you use your device and other Microsoft services, such as your music, alarm settings, whether the lock screen is on, what you view and purchase, your browse and Bing search history, and more.
Source : Cortana
The UI is a definite UP like others said. My Programs are working fine (except for Adobe media encoder, not that anyone need to know). I'm kind of surprised no one talked about Edge.
Edge is pretty limited, but it's better than chrome in terms of memory usage while being as fast as chrome.
I'm one of those lucky ones that didn't get many problems I had to troubleshoot.

Despite these pros and cons, it's still nice, I'm a simple man and so far it's nice.
(Kind of sucks that I lost all my custom tiles I made for windows 8.1)

As for Cortana, it's so ambiguous that it's scary:
(If people haven't read the privacy statement, here ya go)
... Microsoft collects and uses various types of data, such as your device location, data from your calendar, the apps you use, data from your emails and text messages, who you call, your contacts and how often you interact with them on your device. Cortana also learns about you by collecting data about how you use your device and other Microsoft services, such as your music, alarm settings, whether the lock screen is on, what you view and purchase, your browse and Bing search history, and more.
Source : Cortana
As long as this only applies if Cortana is activated, I don't have to fear anything, haha.
Furthermore you can still manage the information Cortana collected in the cloud, which also means deletion, if I'm not wrong. At least this is the description of Cortana on Win10, and if it's true, just deactive it and done.

It's the same with other os and os for mobile phones ... In the end I think the companies don't even inform the user about half of the information they collect. And just because Android for example doesn't inform about collecting of information, this doesn't mean they don't collect information from you.

I rated Windows 10 "good"
I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and never used Windows 8, so I cant say much about the difference between Windows 8 and 10. For me it feels like a prettier Windows 7 with some Windows 8 features (like the square thingy). Windows 10, compared to Windows 7, does boot faster and is overall faster. I never wanted to use Windows 8 because I disliked the whole screen of squares (whatever it is called, guess you know what I mean) so Windows 10 was a great opportunity for me to get a newer, faster OS while I am not forced to use the squares.
Finally I rated Windows 10 "good" because I disliked the Windows 10 Search. Windows 7 would list me like everything with "XXX" in the name but Windows 10 does not do that. For example when I search for "Diablo" on Windows 7, Windows 7 would list me "Diablo III" but Windows 10 does not do that somehow.

I never wanted to use Windows 8 because I disliked the whole screen of squares (whatever it is called, guess you know what I mean) so Windows 10 was a great opportunity for me to get a newer, faster OS while I am not forced to use the squares.
Yup, that is precisely why most people shun windows 8. I mentioned this a few times in my older replies. The interface was too different from what they're use to. The majority of human beings in general are resistant to change. It was a smart move on Microsoft's part to revert back to windows 7's interface and slowly go from there.

I recommend people do a defrag/optimization of their computer once they upgraded to windows 10. It took me over 6 hours to complete but it will noticeably speed up ur system.

Just upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 today.

At first look, it seems like the transition to the new system will be okay. Some observations:

Basic desktop shortcuts haven't changed. What ran before appears to run now.

The folder display seems a bit more cluttered than I like, but tweaking is possible.

Cortana looks like a good addition.

I'm already starting to learn to use the Live Tiles, adding, deleting, and changing what I want. Simple enough.

Not too happy about what they did with the Library, but there are work arounds, and I suspect they'll change things later.

Not too thrilled about the changes to the Start button's program display, but maybe I'll get used to it.

The new default video player isn't very good, but I still have WMP and MPC, so I can re-associate file types as necessary.

Only been playing with Win 10 for a few hours, but I'd give it a B, so far. We'll see how time, experience, and Win 10 updates change that.

From a practical aspect, eventually, Microsoft will stop supporting 7, 8, 8.1... like they did XP and Vista, so the sooner I get used to Win 10, the better.

Edit:

Had a few more hours to fiddle with Win 10, time to revisit some earlier impressions.

The main thing is, after a bit of experimenting, I have turned the Start button into a reasonable facsimile of the Win 7 format I'm used to. This addresses the Library, Start, and Live Tiles.

Figured out how to clean up the initial folder display clutter.

I'm getting happier with Win 10.

Last edited:
I haven't read all the posts up to date. But what I can say is that I'll be waiting for the Windows 10 Pro Installation Disc with the product key for OEM. Since I have a tendency to do a clean install at a yearly basis.

I haven't read all the posts up to date. But what I can say is that I'll be waiting for the Windows 10 Pro Installation Disc with the product key for OEM. Since I have a tendency to do a clean install at a yearly basis.

You can download Media Creation tool to clean install but you must use free upgrade from current OS to Windows 10.After it install Windows 10 already.You can format and install because Windows 10 use network and product id for get key to register this computer.If you want play VN japanese game on Windows 10.You can do it but Windows 10 doesn't work well and check counterfeit games if you login with Microsoft account.

You can download Media Creation tool to clean install but you must use free upgrade from current OS to Windows 10.After it install Windows 10 already.You can format and install because Windows 10 use network and product id for get key to register this computer.If you want play VN japanese game on Windows 10.You can do it but Windows 10 doesn't work well and check counterfeit games if you login with Microsoft account.

Sounds like an OS I wouldn't want to use since I do have a lot of Visual Novels from various places... orz

Free antispy tool for Windows 10
www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

And about, win9 if you look more close, you see all problem, start from words Update. Before, Update to win9, check your software to a completable witch win 9. If you not sure, just del. About why i not Update to Win9... I just wait when out Seagate DiskWizard for Win9, i dont want lost 1TB from my HDD, i keep Emu-Games, and music too. When out i update. Write now Seagate get Certificate from Microsoft for this program. Just need wait, like i mention before 1-2 month and all be fine.

Reactions: ねねかちゃん
Been using Win 10 for a while since I last posted. I'm used to it now. Decent system overall.

I find windows 10 to be okay.
Merely because I am confused by the layout
of everything.

With windows 98 it was so simple.
Now this leap into the future is complicated.

I find windows 10 to be okay.
Merely because I am confused by the layout
of everything.

With windows 98 it was so simple.
Now this leap into the future is complicated.

With a bit of experimenting and tweaking, you can make it look similar to whichever version you're used to.

Windows 98? That goes back a ways. I still have a primitive vintage laptop tucked away, that uses MS-DOS 3.1

With a bit of experimenting and tweaking, you can make it look similar to whichever version you're used to.
I am a no hoper with technology.
I just get my dad to help me usually xD
I am sure if I took the time....
maybe I could? Who knows...

Free antispy tool for Windows 10
www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

And about, win9 if you look more close, you see all problem, start from words Update. Before, Update to win9, check your software to a completable witch win 9. If you not sure, just del. About why i not Update to Win9... I just wait when out Seagate DiskWizard for Win9, i dont want lost 1TB from my HDD, i keep Emu-Games, and music too. When out i update. Write now Seagate get Certificate from Microsoft for this program. Just need wait, like i mention before 1-2 month and all be fine.
Seagate Diskwizard doesn't work well for me.I got Seagate Backup plus 4 TB and use this method before.I decide by use clean disk on cmd to delete MBR and create GPT Disk.Because the stock come with MBR-Hybrid.I think you can use Rufus to clean install with UEFI mainboard well.

Thank to give link a software to stop collect data in Windows 10 from Germany.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

TheB33 wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi can you please resend the games from 諾威水産? I've been looking them for some time even DLsite don't have these games
kihon wrote on Shine's profile.
Buying resources out of their own pockets, spending energy and effort, with almost no return so that everyone can enjoy the cultural and entertainment products of developed countries at almost zero cost walking in the dark to serve the light, they are real heroes
bg,f8f8f8-flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg
darkvita wrote on ramori's profile.