Thought to buy a Microsoft Surface Pro 3

Dark Angel

Emissary Of Death
Feb 26, 2013
So i am in search to buy a Tablet i have had an iPad in the past but i wanted to try and a Windows based tablet. So i thought About Microsoft Surface Pro 3.

I found at store in my country Greece and they have stock and i am thinking to buy it. at 699 Euros.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3
Screen 12'' Clear Type Full HD 2160 x 1440.
CPU Intel Core i5-4300U (1.90 GHz).
VGA Intel HD 4400 shared μνήμης.
SSD 256 GB.
8 GB RAM.
Windows 8.1 Pro.

And i am also going to buy and the Microsoft Keybord-Cover

The machine is not for any kind of gaming it's strictly for my work email, word, power point, skype, web browsing.
[MENTION=2]Ignis[/MENTION]; your thoughts? Should i go for any net-book?

Why a Surface 3 and not a 4?
Anyway, I for one enjoy my Surface. Depending on your eyesight and distance to the screen, you might find it too small for prolonged office work, though. It's great on the go, but for longer stints get a dock and a real screen or two. ;)

Why a Surface 3 and not a 4?
Anyway, I for one enjoy my Surface. Depending on your eyesight and distance to the screen, you might find it too small for prolonged office work, though. It's great on the go, but for longer stints get a dock and a real screen or two. ;)

:hi: Coro, because i wanted a cheap solution and only for mobility reasons for those days that i will leave the office the iPad it's good but all the time sync with itunes it's became unreasonable. I won't work at the office with Surface i had many pcs that i do my work there. And as for the reason why 3 and not 4, well the 4 has starting price 1000 euros in Greece and i don't want to waste so much money in mobile solution.

Well, go for it then. ;)
While you can sync with OneDrive on the Surface, it's optional and I found the experience to be pretty seamless (and very much in the background, so you don't have to wait until it's done) too.

Well, go for it then. ;)
While you can sync with OneDrive on the Surface, it's optional and I found the experience to be pretty seamless (and very much in the background, so you don't have to wait until it's done) too.

I see, that's good. If the iPad Pro 12.9 OSX and not iOS (a huge i phone) i might go that way... but i can't stand this way to have a program to let you add what this think supports... And i sold my iPad Pro for this reason i felt that i don't have the freedom of a real OS like Windows or OSX.

Anyway the only that bugs me is the cover-keyboard / mouse pad, is this covering only the screen, and i wonder what i should do for the back-plate.

Yes, the keyboard only covers the front side. The back side is pretty scratch resistant, but if you're worried, you could always use a small laptop case to protect it. Given the Surface's size, there are a lot to choose from.

Yes, the keyboard only covers the front side. The back side is pretty scratch resistant, but if you're worried, you could always use a small laptop case to protect it. Given the Surface's size, there are a lot to choose from.

I will buy it ASAP online, they have 3-4 left and tomorrow the price will be 1000 euros... so i might better to get it now rather to loose the 300 euros discount offer.

Looks like I was late, and coro's already provided much more helpful replies (something I can't match since I have an Android tablet and not a Surface). If you still need an opinion, I just think it's a bit too powerful, especially when you already have a work PC and a laptop, and are looking for "a cheap solution and only for mobility reasons". I seem to recall seeing Surface Pro 3 with similar specs, but with 4GB of RAM and a 128GB SSD, retailing for around $500 or less (perhaps that's $600 for Greece, but still cheaper).

Looks like I was late, and coro's already provided much more helpful replies (something I can't match since I have an Android tablet and not a Surface). If you still need an opinion, I just think it's a bit too powerful, especially when you already have a work PC and a laptop, and are looking for "a cheap solution and only for mobility reasons". I seem to recall seeing Surface Pro 3 with similar specs, but with 4GB of RAM and a 128GB SSD, retailing for around $500 or less (perhaps that's $600 for Greece, but still cheaper).

The one that you are talking has starting price 759 euros. Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (Core i5/4GB/128GB/W10). And the one i got with better specks is starting at 1000 euros. But It was a good offer from this specific internet store (e-shop.gr) they gave 500 pieces with 300 euros discount and because i knew a person that works as a salesman at the store here at my hometown. He said to me that it was a good deal and a few pieces left. And this e-shop.gr store has a very good reliability and the most important they have opened stores in all the cites of my country and that's a very good thing. I suppose that was an offer to boost their sales for the Easter Vacations. I know it's too powerful for for a mobile solution but it will free me from having a tablet to be in slave from a specific program aka itunes and ipad pro... That's the reason i sold my iPad Pro 6 months old i got tired to trying to sync some files that i wanted and i need to convert in the type that Apple want's As i said in a previous post IF the iPad Pro 12.9" that i had was Running a complete OS like the OSX El Capitan whatever i would never have thoughts to sold it. But as it is the iPad Pro is nothing more than an iPhone or an iPod in 12.9" inches. I want to have my i shortcuts or some files to my desktop and not to open a file manager or the iPhotos to see photos. I also want o have my Folders at my desktop and not again open a a file manager. Those things made me to go at Windows side.

The one that you are talking has starting price 759 euros. Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (Core i5/4GB/128GB/W10). And the one i got with better specks is starting at 1000 euros.
Well, fuck me, I didn't think the price difference would be that much (it's $532 on Amazon). Sorry. Still, while it's nice that you got a discount, I don't think the difference in RAM and SSD size is worth that much price increase, especially considering that you get integrated graphics (no rendering, I guess?) on both the 4GB and 8GB editions.

I know it's too powerful for for a mobile solution but it will free me from having a tablet to be in slave from a specific program aka itunes and ipad pro... That's the reason i sold my iPad Pro 6 months old i got tired to trying to sync some files that i wanted and i need to convert in the type that Apple want's As i said in a previous post IF the iPad Pro 12.9" that i had was Running a complete OS like the OSX El Capitan whatever i would never have thoughts to sold it.
That I agree. For all the things I despise in Windows in particular and Microsoft in general, I'd still get a Surface than an iPad or any other Apple product.

Well, fuck me, I didn't think the price difference would be that much (it's $532 on Amazon). Sorry. Still, while it's nice that you got a discount, I don't think the difference in RAM and SSD size is worth that much price increase, especially considering that you get integrated graphics (no rendering, I guess?) on both the 4GB and 8GB editions.

That I agree. For all the things I despise in Windows in particular and Microsoft in general, I'd still get a Surface than an iPad or any other Apple product.

Well i am relieved that i was able to buy at the last minute one of those few machines that was left. And yes in Greece those small difference can make a huge gap between prices. And the thing is that i bought that with 300 euros discount in the price of the lower specs machine even lower in price... see the lower 759 an i bought 699 mine. So i am good. Even my self i hate the Windows 8-8.1 and 10. I am still working with windows 7 at my Alienware and my Server/Workstation the one at my office the one that has the Dual Xeon CPUs 32GB Ram 2xSSD Samsung Pro Evo 850 512GB and an nVidia FX Quadro works with Windows Server Edition <- but this machine is for exclusive work of AutoCAD, 3D Max Studio, Maya Studio and Photoshop. Also having those machines around why i should render at a Surface Pro? I don't see any reason to do!

The Surface Pro is only a replace of the older and USELESS ipad Pro! I have many documents like pdfs, powerpoint (i have so many) word files that i am typing when i am out from the office especial when i am with a customer and i am showing him a house or an apartment i want to have forms of those document already made (something iPad Pro couldn't convert) and open. Also i want those forms to have them from a shortcut at my desktop to open them any time i want without need to open a file manager to look for them and any time i will open to and add new data asap. I want as well to have full access to my hard disk any time i need to see all my file or system files! There was many times with iPad pro that failed to me when i were i with a customer and i was making a contract on the foot typing personal data to make the sheet and many times my iPad Pro even after saving the data when i was converted them via sync sometimes the forms where not as it was in the first file meaning i loose columns styles of fonts my digital signature and customers signature were not in place!

I don't know if an Android tablet would do those thinks as like a full OS like Windows table will do. I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (i replaced my old iPhone 6 Plus due multiple failures) Dust under the screen dead pixels and many others i was so mad and send it to hell! But in first glance the Samsung seems promising but i doubt that will it will be different the Android of the phones to the Android of the tablets (same as iOS for iPhones iPods to the iOS of the iPads)

I am still working with windows 7 at my Alienware and my Server/Workstation the one at my office the one that has the Dual Xeon CPUs 32GB Ram 2xSSD Samsung Pro Evo 850 512GB and an nVidia FX Quadro works with Windows Server Edition <- but this machine is for exclusive work of AutoCAD, 3D Max Studio, Maya Studio and Photoshop. Also having those machines around why i should render at a Surface Pro? I don't see any reason to do!
Yes, it wouldn't make sense to render with a tablet. Even if you're on the go and need to do some quick rendering for business purposes (and yes, I did mean 3D rendering like 3DSMax or ETABS), it'd be better to establish a remote connection to your office workstation and render there.

I have many documents like pdfs, powerpoint (i have so many) word files that i am typing when i am out from the office especial when i am with a customer and i am showing him a house or an apartment i want to have forms of those document already made (something iPad Pro couldn't convert) and open. Also i want those forms to have them from a shortcut at my desktop to open them any time i want without need to open a file manager to look for them and any time i will open to and add new data asap. I want as well to have full access to my hard disk any time i need to see all my file or system files!
I admit I'm not really familiar with the app environment for Apple devices, but putting shortcuts on desktop (or home screen, or whatever they call it nowadays) and other functions you mentioned are pretty basic―are you sure the iPad doesn't have that kind of functionality built in? (Or is it only available with the help of an app that costs $20 or more?)

There was many times with iPad pro that failed to me when i were i with a customer and i was making a contract on the foot typing personal data to make the sheet and many times my iPad Pro even after saving the data when i was converted them via sync sometimes the forms where not as it was in the first file meaning i loose columns styles of fonts my digital signature and customers signature were not in place!

I don't know if an Android tablet would do those thinks as like a full OS like Windows table will do
With regard to desktop vs. mobile environment, I personally use my Android tablet as essentially a reading device, mostly with PDF and EPUB files, though I don't do much writing on it (writing on mobile is terrible, and while keyboards like Swype make it slightly bearable, it's still crap). For my needs, it's sufficient. For syncing, I run my own file server that comes with its own sync app for Android and iOS, though for just a few files I find it more convenient to just use FTP. That's also how I transfer photos from my (also Android) phone to my PC after I stopped using Picasa Cloud and Dropbox.

I admit I'm not really familiar with the app environment for Apple devices, but putting shortcuts on desktop (or home screen, or whatever they call it nowadays) and other functions you mentioned are pretty basic―are you sure the iPad doesn't have that kind of functionality built in? (Or is it only available with the help of an app that costs $20 or more?)

Well it's given for the Apple not to give those things that it was suppose to be included to a complete OS but in iOS NOT! you have to download from app store extra program 3rd party not Apple's release and yeap this App costs around 5 euros? Also you can find some crap apps with ads for free and it's not recommended!

With regard to desktop vs. mobile environment, I personally use my Android tablet as essentially a reading device, mostly with PDF and EPUB files, though I don't do much writing on it (writing on mobile is terrible, and while keyboards like Swype make it slightly bearable, it's still crap). For my needs, it's sufficient. For syncing, I run my own file server that comes with its own sync app for Android and iOS, though for just a few files I find it more convenient to just use FTP. That's also how I transfer photos from my (also Android) phone to my PC after I stopped using Picasa Cloud and Dropbox.

That's why i love the Windows? Just copy my files in any USB file or SD Card? and move them? Why i should do more complex things?

That's why i love the Windows? Just copy my files in any USB file or SD Card? and move them? Why i should do more complex things?
Well, the time syncing becomes essential is usually when you're away, like in a conference or something, and have no access to your main PC. If you have physical access to your PC, sure, do that. That's what I prefer to, since I don't want important data to have to traverse the Internet unless necessary. Though the method I mentioned (FTP) is available across all platforms, not just Windows.

Well, the time syncing becomes essential is usually when you're away, like in a conference or something, and have no access to your main PC. If you have physical access to your PC, sure, do that. That's what I prefer to, since I don't want important data to have to traverse the Internet unless necessary. Though the method I mentioned (FTP) is available across all platforms, not just Windows.

I know FTP protocol and methods to have access at web server but (in my case) it's not something that i immediately needs, i have a 50GB at Mega but i only use for the PSD files. The most important is to have already all my sheets forms everything ready at my desktop for immediately access. And to tell you the truth from heart, today that i was testing out and exploring the machine i thing that iPad Pro was by far a huge joke! Just out from curiosity i tried rendering at Surface Pro and believe me i was impressed (not that i will do that again) but it's powerfull! No fragmention nowhere! 4K movies played without problems. But those things isn't something i will do again.

And the Mousebad & Keybord as cover is actually nice i mean it's even better than Apple's cover keybord (it doesn't have trackpad Apple's cover keybord) we need to mention that!

I believe i made the best choice for on the go. The notes with the pen device based at wacom's technology is superb.

I know FTP protocol and methods to have access at web server but (in my case) it's not something that i immediately needs, i have a 50GB at Mega but i only use for the PSD files. The most important is to have already all my sheets forms everything ready at my desktop for immediately access. And to tell you the truth from heart, today that i was testing out and exploring the machine i thing that iPad Pro was by far a huge joke! Just out from curiosity i tried rendering at Surface Pro and believe me i was impressed (not that i will do that again) but it's powerfull! No fragmention nowhere! 4K movies played without problems. But those things isn't something i will do again.

And the Mousebad & Keybord as cover is actually nice i mean it's even better than Apple's cover keybord (it doesn't have trackpad Apple's cover keybord) we need to mention that!

I believe i made the best choice for on the go. The notes with the pen device based at wacom's technology is superb.
I'd actually give credit for the tools themselves, actually. While I'd prefer Blender over 3DSMax if I were ever forced to make a 3D model (not that I can), it and other big names like Maya and AutoCAD seem to be pretty well made that they can do their job even on low-end machines.

Also, while I'm not versed in civil engineering myself, both my parents are, and thus I got to see a lot of it since childhood. I've seen people render using low-end laptops with i3 and no dedicated graphics card, but the rendering works anyway. Which is to say that, yes, it should work on a Surface Pro 3 (though obviously not as well as on a dedicated workstation).

4K movies aren't something that would likely see much advantage on a tablet, though. While the screen has an awesome resolution of 1440p, it's still physically small. Still, if you like watching stuff on the go, especially when you're forced to sit idly for a long time like on an airplane, that sounds great. :)

I'd actually give credit for the tools themselves, actually. While I'd prefer Blender over 3DSMax if I were ever forced to make a 3D model (not that I can), it and other big names like Maya and AutoCAD seem to be pretty well made that they can do their job even on low-end machines.

Also, while I'm not versed in civil engineering myself, both my parents are, and thus I got to see a lot of it since childhood. I've seen people render using low-end laptops with i3 and no dedicated graphics card, but the rendering works anyway. Which is to say that, yes, it should work on a Surface Pro 3 (though obviously not as well as on a dedicated workstation).

4K movies aren't something that would likely see much advantage on a tablet, though. While the screen has an awesome resolution of 1440p, it's still physically small. Still, if you like watching stuff on the go, especially when you're forced to sit idly for a long time like on an airplane, that sounds great. :)

Nah i don't have time to watch them in my house at my TV, and i will watch them at the Tablet? No way in hell! :lol: :XD: I just tested to see the integrated VGA the Intel HD 4400 how handle things :)
And a signature that i made for Evi, i made to the Surface for testing out the machine. Those things will not be able to do those things ever again.

As you said yes the lower specs laptops can handle AutoCAD but the 3 Modeling like adding exterior / interior walls design the houses / buildings some things an integrated graphics card can't handle and all the work goes to the cpu and i see many laptops especially the i3 to have fragmentation.

But there and the exclusive workstation laptops with AMD FireGL Cards or nVidia Quadro FX Cards that those things are a walk in the park. Not that a gamer's graphics card isn't able to handle those tasks, they do and very nicely! But it's better to have an exclusive graphics card for those kind of jobs.

Nah i don't have time to watch them in my house at my TV, and i will watch them at the Tablet? No way in hell! :lol: :XD: I just tested to see the integrated VGA the Intel HD 4400 how handle things :)
And a signature that i made for Evi, i made to the Surface for testing out the machine. Those things will not be able to do those things ever again.

As you said yes the lower specs laptops can handle AutoCAD but the 3 Modeling like adding exterior / interior walls design the houses / buildings some things an integrated graphics card can't handle and all the work goes to the cpu and i see many laptops especially the i3 to have fragmentation.

But there and the exclusive workstation laptops with AMD FireGL Cards or nVidia Quadro FX Cards that those things are a walk in the park. Not that a gamer's graphics card isn't able to handle those tasks, they do and very nicely! But it's better to have an exclusive graphics card for those kind of jobs.
Ah, I see. Yes, integrated graphics modules nowadays handle things much better than they did in the past.

You're right about the fragmentation issue—most rendering I've seen done with low-end laptops results in outputs that are typically not fully-fleshed architectural designs, but look more like the barebones of a construction. (Not sure what those are called in the field of architecture/civil engineering. My [limited] knowledge about 3D modelling mostly comes from modding games.) They also come out of tools like SAP and ETABS instead of AutoCAD and 3DSMax.

And yes, workstation cards are in a different line of products than gaming cards. Workstation cards aren't meant for gaming and vice-versa, though their high prices may also be due to firmware issues. Quadro is pretty much the standard for high-precision tasks in CAD and the like from what I've seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

TheB33 wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi can you please resend the games from 諾威水産? I've been looking them for some time even DLsite don't have these games
kihon wrote on Shine's profile.
Buying resources out of their own pockets, spending energy and effort, with almost no return so that everyone can enjoy the cultural and entertainment products of developed countries at almost zero cost walking in the dark to serve the light, they are real heroes
bg,f8f8f8-flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg
darkvita wrote on ramori's profile.