Living in Japan as a (Young) Expat

Would you like to live in Japan?

• Total voters
Oh... Sangkyuu.. I really appreciate it, you are a big help for me to go back to Japan (But it's not like I'm using you as a stepping stone. Really).
And for everyone information, when you return from Japan to your country (after understanding and following the way Japanese people live) You will be the most popular guy in school, cause you can keep your cool. ^_^ (Well, that happens to me...)

Reactions: Uninstall
It's always a pleasure SainTPrime! Good to know what I do is worth writing about!
And yes, returning from Japan is a shock, though.
I didn't really like living in Japan as I was really used to living in the West but I realise how much better it is now. I'm sure many Westerners have had similar experiences. I'm not sure how it is for people who'se homes are already Asia since Japan would be a lot closer to home and even though Japan is quite an isolated country during history and geographically the cultures & traditions aren't as much of a shock. Everytime I return to Indonesia I feel that there is more influence from other Asian countries, especially Japan - and Japanese norms and culture could help develop the country socially. Perhaps we can learn from the rapid development of Japan since the War.

Anyways I'm getting ready to write a bit more in a moment!

I believe that Indonesia can be as advance as Japan, due to many factor of similarities and advantage.
But as everyone can see, corruption, conspiracy, greed, and capitalism can be found everywhere... even the world can't advance if things like those keep growing and growing...

I'm looking forward for every thing that your going to write... >_<

Part 7: (Life at) Home and TV

Home in Japan, where you will spend most of your days; obviously very important.
Let me tell you; if you live in an MEDC and a decent house, you will have to get used to Japanese houses. Honestly.
Japan is about 70% mountainous or forested - which means that the large settlements are usually around the coasts. Which means that about 130 million people live in that 30% of 380.000 km2. So unless you'll be living in the country sides. Expect your house to be pretty damn small. Really damn small.
Especially in the large cities like Tokyo, not only will your house be small but if your parent's work doesn't financially help for housing, it will be mad expensive!
Since earthquakes are common in Japan (I've mentioned it before), the houses are made of different material than in many other countries - for one, the walls are thin - it won't be hard to hear your neighbours, and likewise it won't be hard for your neighbours to hear you, so be considerate about noise, volume, etc. You will notice how annoying it can get if your neighbour likes to watch TV all day in a pretty loud volume.

So generally the housing conditions is pretty bad - especially the insulation. Japanese homes aren't really insulated well, I believe most of the windows aren't double layered (plus the thin walls) so you will get cold in the winter, and it will be ridiculously hot in the summer, and it will be impossible to live without AC. Also, we don't really use central heating to heat up the house - instead kerosene, or electronic space heaters are used. Luckily kerosene is easy to obtain, there will be a man carrying a large truck with kerosene every week, like an ice cream man with the music and all. Then you bring him the containers and he'll fill them up at a cheap price. Here is how you use them.
There's a lot more trouble when it comes to having a house in Japan, but since I didn't have to worry about it then, I'm afraid I can't share any experiences.

Edit / I have just done some research, and it turns out in Hokkaido the house insulations are much better because of the harsher winter climates.

Now moving on to the subject of TV.
This subject will have multiple opinions - it really is a matter of taste.
Personally, I found Japanese TV rather amusing (maybe because I could understand it), many people don't. I can agree if I think from a different perspective.
No matter what, Japanese TV will amuse you for the first few weeks or so. Then perhaps you'll start to find it boring. because Japanese (cable) TV is always the same. Somehow most of the TV programs are "light". So interesting documentaries, and so on is pretty hard to find. Most of it is talk show, cooking show with the same people called "Talents". They sit in a decorated stage where they discuss current events, and laugh laugh laugh laugh and laugh. It can be funny but I understand that some people just will get bored of it. Then there's the food part where they'll cook food which is like 1/10 of the program, then they eat it and discuss how good it was for the rest of it.

Also, you'll find that lots of stuff is always dubbed in Japanese, not subbed. If there's a film in another language, they'll dub it; heck - they even dub CNN and BBC and other international news channels in Japanese, which may be frustrating to those having trouble. But I suggest to do your best and practice Japanese as hard as you can!

Of course there's Anime too but I rarely watched Anime to have anything to say about it. I may do some research on this, ask some friends who do watch Anime and of course if any of you have experience, please elaborate!
These were experiences of cable TV, I'm sorry I have no experience of digital.

Anyways thanks for reading, if you have any questions, please go ahead and ask!! ヽ(○・▽・○)ノ゛

Reactions: Evac
I have read the whole thing. Everything. Good job kiddo! With the way you delivered everything, it sounded like a professional or a good tour guide. Are you sure you're still a CHILD? XD

I like how you pieced everything together including the details, the "flavor", being precise about the topic, etc. Although you might want to avoid being redundant in some of the parts but it was no big deal in this article specially with the repetitive use of the term "close or open doors for the future" so don't worry.

Being also a fellow Asian, I can somehow understand most of what is happening there or shall we say, "the daily life" 'cause in the place where I stay, it's pretty much the same. Manners, courteousness, daily walkathon hassle, TRAIN ISSUES, mobsters, high expectations, and budgeting. Hahahaha. I just don't know about the mental differences part like, a 17 year old having wits of a 19 year old and maturity of a 12 year old hahaha. Although I certainly do not look like a native of my country or someone from Asia (yes. I look "strange") I was still able to make friends easily and discrimination still happens but not very severe as in other countries though. And yes, tall or big westerners can also get a little intimidating sometimes XD (I'm just 5'4 in height and I do not really look like my age. I could even get mistaken for a high schooler most of the time =_=")

I also walk a lot when I go to work (even when I was still studying), and use the trains or metro rails a lot and yeah, expect to get pushed in to the wall and see some naughty stuff happen. It's not as likely as it is in Japan but I already saw something like that happen twice or thrice.

About the high expectations, let's just say I'm kinda lucky that my folks weren't so strict. They're "balanced" when it comes to discipline and everything. And yeah, politics could also get kinda under-handed here sometimes and the stuff with big organizations being very influential is also hardly to miss. I mean, I guess it's just like this even in the other parts of the world.

Creepy hospitals? I would love to see those hahaha. The health centers and hospitals here are just plain boring. It's literally BORING and LIFELESS including the people who work there. Lifeless in a sense that, they're like, "lack" this sort of entertaining or catchy character that I think they should show when they entertain patients and those who seek consultations.

It has been my dream or goal to visit Japan and stay there for a couple of months or weeks (or until when my travel expense budget takes me XD) even that I've been kinda aware of how it is like there in real life. My fascination about everything in there still haven't changed. ^^

But all in all, it was a great article, I like it and it was very helpful so arigatai. (Sorry for the long critic response too. I just like reading interesting articles like this and leaving good comments/critics. XD)

I have read the whole thing. Everything. Good job kiddo! With the way you delivered everything, it sounded like a professional or a good tour guide. Are you sure you're still a CHILD? XD

I like how you pieced everything together including the details, the "flavor", being precise about the topic, etc. Although you might want to avoid being redundant in some of the parts but it was no big deal in this article specially with the repetitive use of the term "close or open doors for the future" so don't worry.

Being also a fellow Asian, I can somehow understand most of what is happening there or shall we say, "the daily life" 'cause in the place where I stay, it's pretty much the same. Manners, courteousness, daily walkathon hassle, TRAIN ISSUES, mobsters, high expectations, and budgeting. Hahahaha. I just don't know about the mental differences part like, a 17 year old having wits of a 19 year old and maturity of a 12 year old hahaha. Although I certainly do not look like a native of my country or someone from Asia (yes. I look "strange") I was still able to make friends easily and discrimination still happens but not very severe as in other countries though. And yes, tall or big westerners can also get a little intimidating sometimes XD (I'm just 5'4 in height and I do not really look like my age. I could even get mistaken for a high schooler most of the time =_=")

I also walk a lot when I go to work (even when I was still studying), and use the trains or metro rails a lot and yeah, expect to get pushed in to the wall and see some naughty stuff happen. It's not as likely as it is in Japan but I already saw something like that happen twice or thrice.

About the high expectations, let's just say I'm kinda lucky that my folks weren't so strict. They're "balanced" when it comes to discipline and everything. And yeah, politics could also get kinda under-handed here sometimes and the stuff with big organizations being very influential is also hardly to miss. I mean, I guess it's just like this even in the other parts of the world.

Creepy hospitals? I would love to see those hahaha. The health centers and hospitals here are just plain boring. It's literally BORING and LIFELESS including the people who work there. Lifeless in a sense that, they're like, "lack" this sort of entertaining or catchy character that I think they should show when they entertain patients and those who seek consultations.

It has been my dream or goal to visit Japan and stay there for a couple of months or weeks (or until when my travel expense budget takes me XD) even that I've been kinda aware of how it is like there in real life. My fascination about everything in there still haven't changed. ^^

But all in all, it was a great article, I like it and it was very helpful so arigatai. (Sorry for the long critic response too. I just like reading interesting articles like this and leaving good comments/critics. XD)

Just want to say things short... Which part of Asia did you live in? (Just curious... )

Just wanted to post here and tell you something positive. I haven't read it all yet, just one part. But I do hope to come back and do so later. A lot of information here at least you put down for us. Thanks for it all.

[MENTION=27188]SainTPrimE[/MENTION]

Not to be rude or to offend you or anything but sorry, I have to decline answering that ^^
Personal reasons/matters I guess.

Thanks a lot [MENTION=13241]Ein[/MENTION], really appreciate your feedback (○´∀`) and thanks for reading it all!!
And yes I'm pretty sure that I'm really still a child, I'm 17 right now, at high school living under my parents' roof
Haha I don't look like my age either, people mistake me for a middle schooler

I think the problem of racial prejudice is because Japan is really new to foreigners - in fact Japan didn't allow any foreigners enter or leave the country until Commodore Perry opened forced the gates of Japan open in the 1850s. And still Japan is an isolated countries so Japanese people simply aren't used to foreigners by blood. So as foreigners, especially if you are from far away, it can be hard to make friends with Japanese people.

And about the creepy hospitals - yes they really really really are creepy compared to where I am now, the lighting is bad, the walls are yellowish-brown... and the doctors are evil!

Also thanks [MENTION=25661]GenKiDan[/MENTION] , glad you guys can learn something!

[MENTION=25346]Uninstall[/MENTION]

High five. XD
So I guess that would also mean that I should be prepared when people starts crazy rumors about me like being a freakish vampire, a weird simulacrum-like creature or just plain something "inhuman". Hahahaha XD

And about the hospitals, that just piqued my interests even more. Thanks for the encouragement, I'll be sure to add Japanese hospitals in my list of overseas coverage for grotesque or horror photography. I don't mean to offend but I really do like visiting creepy places and taking pictures and stuff. XD

Not to be rude or to offend you or anything but sorry, I have to decline answering that ^^
Personal reasons/matters I guess.

No, No, No.. It's my fault.. Hontoni sumimasen....

Haha I suggest going hiking at the countryside, I did that a lot with my uncle - we'd find creepy stuff; abandoned sheds, abandoned gravestones in the middle of the forest, some mad ugly insects and whatnot
(´∀`。c)

If you want to do some coverage on the horrors of Japan... The Shrine (The old ones... I don't know about how the new ones looks like cause i have never seen one) is your best bet, and as Uninstall said... the hills are quite creepy...

No it's okay. My response was kinda unexpected too so I also apologize XD

[MENTION=25346]Uninstall[/MENTION]
"abandoned gravestones in the middle of the forest" and "mad ugly insects".... SUBARASHII!!!
Now I really sound like a total loony. But hey, seriously, stuff that you don't get to see everyday are #3 in my must see list or my interest list. So if folks ask the things that interest me, I tell them straight about those things. Hahahaha :XD:

Probably because I'm just damn bored at my average daily and seemingly "autonomic" life.

Haha I should cover bugs one day. Oh, Japanese country sides and bugs. I hope I will never see any of you again! Freaking twisted beings!

How about good food or the surprisingly amazing cheap street foods and also those expensive but really worth it ones?
Food is always an interesting topic no matter how odd or creepy it could get too. ^^

Yeah I might cover that actually, thanks for the suggestion o(゚∀゚)o
Though tonight I think I'll talk about climate, time and trains (I think I've noticed it before)

I agree with you..
But if you are looking for unique culinary dishes and many variety of food, visit Indonesia (Man, I sound like a tour adv... lol)
But every culinary has It's own 'thing' as I would like to say, in some area of Japan if you already tasted the food from one area ex. Kyoto region then you try the same dish in different area.. like Kanto or etc.. It will taste really different.. (this is what I experienced..)

Oh, right the train schedule.. I miss my first day for school because of it.. >_<

Last edited:
I'll be expecting that again ;)

I'm no gourmet but yeah, you can really say that the same dish will not certainly taste the same in other places. I had this what folks so called "Licorice" flavored candy when my father gave me one when I was still little and I was instantly in love with it. When I was looking for other licorice candies as I grew up, I noticed the difference in the taste and could now tell the good ones from the bad ones. XD

More or less like that..
By the way... you said that you like to photograph creepy stuff, right?
I might be rude to say this, so, sorry in advance.. Are you.. by any chance.. Into Occult stuff (like photographing and searching ghost or other spiritual forms. Not some thing extreme like.. you.. know....) ?

More or less like that..
By the way... you said that you like to photograph creepy stuff, right?
I might be rude to say this, so, sorry in advance.. Are you.. by any chance.. Into Occult stuff (like photographing and searching ghost or other spiritual forms. Not some thing extreme like.. you.. know....) ?

I am also fascinated by those ^^
Esoteric art, paintings, drawings, sketches, everything not so ordinary to say. XD
But of course, I'm not so obsessed to the point I would totally engage with those stuff and activities. I'm fully aware of the risks and the undertakings about those stuff and I just enjoy them on the "artist's" and "curious learner's" level ^^

Oh.. I see... I see....

By the way.. Where did Uninstall go? heheheh... I'm waiting for the rest of the article...

I used to have this huge realistic plan to move and live in Japan for a few years, but sadly things with my girlfriend won't allow me, I am staying here in Canada to help her adapt to life here in the future, also she is very hateful towards Japanese people (probably the fact shes Chinese, born and raised, she likes there music and games and other media etc...but its convinced they are boring, rude, and evil.) Either way I would like to live there someday! Good info in the post, I knew a lot of this stuff on personal research and family and friends who have been to Japan, but great post for beginners!!!!

Also don't get me wrong, I love my girlfriend like crazy!!! I am just hoping she can open up more, I know there cultures have a bad past, but I wanna help her not have stereotypes and accept its not all that bad!!!!

Last edited:
I used to have this huge realistic plan to move and live in Japan for a few years, but sadly things with my girlfriend won't allow me, I am staying here in Canada to help her adapt to life here in the future, also she is very hateful towards Japanese people (probably the fact shes Chinese, born and raised, she likes there music and games and other media etc...but its convinced they are boring, rude, and evil.) Either way I would like to live there someday! Good info in the post, I knew a lot of this stuff on personal research and family and friends who have been to Japan, but great post for beginners!!!!

Also don't get me wrong, I love my girlfriend like crazy!!! I am just hoping she can open up more, I know there cultures have a bad past, but I wanna help her not have stereotypes and accept its not all that bad!!!!

I know how she feels. My parents are very hateful towards Japanese people due to the bad blood between Chinese and Japanese in the past. Though they aren't against me listening to JP music, anime and learning the language, they don't want me to ever get a Japanese girlfriend xD. Ahh well, that's Chinese parents for you.

Yeah, I understand how she feels and why, she does not mind I like anime or Japanese music, or that I want to learn the language, she just gets bothered if I have too many Japanese friends offline and online, she was iffy with me learning Japanese at first, but she still loves and accepts me, and I won't ever need to worry about the Japanese girlfriend thing, because I got a girl like her~!

Lots of Chinese people like Japanese things...like media, games, anime, etc, just not the people!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

tim30069 wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
https://www.suruga-ya.jp/product/detail/145073022
hello, do you have this drama cd ,thank you!
AsterN20 wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Can you reupload [Magi White] エグザミネイター?
nobis_c wrote on ramori's profile.
Hi, if you would reup the mexashare links for this one, that'd be great. Thanks
未亡人沙苗
nobis_c wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
Hi, would you reup this old one please? Thanks
白濁淫乳カルテ
Liuying wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hello,Sir.!
Could you updata 裏の賭け麻雀 借金娘の敗北種付け生活
New update seem to have added EN