Fav Tales game and why? (for those who liked them)

adeadfrog

Retr-Otaku :)
Sep 23, 2011
What's your fav Tales game out of all (if you had to name one), I played most of them (all except Xillia) ever since I was little and loved all the battle systems/cutscenes/plots whether it be in 3D or 2D. So which one do you like most and why? (mother ship titles/remakes only, no spinoffs)

If had to pick one out of the ones I played, I'd say Tales of Destiny 2, since it had a really difficult battle system (for me anyway), only letting you do Spirit Blaster once per battle, and rune bottles served a bigger purpose in it than any Tales game b4 it (since you could combine equip for effects). Took me a looong time to beat it over a course of 1-2 years, even with the eng menu patch I used. After beating it, now I'm all pumped up to see Reala (protag. from ToD2) as a bonus boss on ToG-f whenever it gets localized to PS3 ;) .

I think most ppl tend prefer Tales of the Abyss (or maybe I'm wrong) based on what I've heard, but I'd put it 2nd to ToD2 in my opinion.

My First Favorite Tales Series is Tales of World Radiant Mythology because it's kinda fun you can change job so you don't be boring abou same skill and there is some optional job/quest you can do. The second one is Tales of Legendia cos the story is very funny to me and i like the main Character Senel.

if i had to choose....

1. Symphonia - Game Cube (reason : Collet)
2. Abyss - Play Station 2 (reason : Tear)
3. Destiny - Play Station (reason : the very 1st tales i played... that means before millenium)

Someone give me some good points of the entire series??
Personally, I know of the series and its many different spin-offs, but I have never actually played the game, only once watching Tales of Abyss back then.
If they are fun, I have no problems going in and play some, because I can borrow some of my friend.

Personally, I know of the series and its many different spin-offs, but I have never actually played the game, only once watching Tales of Abyss back then.
If they are fun, I have no problems going in and play some, because I can borrow some of my friend.

you can try Tales of Destiny Play Station 2 Remake for start!
good story and easy to understand plot!

Hehh, I only have a ps3 though. I may wanna borrow Vesperia and Xillia from my friend, since he completely does not know japanese text, he says his xillia is gonna sit there and rot when time comes. Lol. I may have brought it from him if it was R2 version, sadly its R3.

I've only played Tales of Phantasia, Symphonia, and Vesperia. My favourite Tales game would have to go to Vesperia. I really enjoyed the new combat system and the free-roaming mechanic. I beat it on the 360 a couple years ago and just recently picked it back up on the PS3. My Japanese knowledge is enough to get a brief understanding of the dialogue and the items/skills. This time around, I plan on going for a platinum trophy so I'll be committed to this game for the next few months.

Following up would be Symphonia and Phatantasia, in that order. I wanted a good RPG for the gamecube and at the time, knew of the Tales series from Phantasia. Phantasia because I was new to the SNES emulation scene and it was fully in english, so I played that after Link to the Past.

Wow lots of different replies, I guess I was wrong about abyss (even though it's still great). Glad to hear all these opinions :) ,

you can try Tales of Destiny Play Station 2 Remake for start!
good story and easy to understand plot!

the Director's Cut is also great, reason: Leon's Side (of course :P )

Last edited:

I'd go w/ any title from the main series if I were you, I liked all the ones on PS3, Vesperia and Xillia are awesome (I'd also reccomend ToG-f if u get the chance :) ) .

The spinoffs are alright, but the ones from main series are always best, I think

Last edited:
I've only played Tales of Phantasia, Symphonia, and Vesperia. My favourite Tales game would have to go to Vesperia. I really enjoyed the new combat system and the free-roaming mechanic. I beat it on the 360 a couple years ago and just recently picked it back up on the PS3. My Japanese knowledge is enough to get a brief understanding of the dialogue and the items/skills. This time around, I plan on going for a platinum trophy so I'll be committed to this game for the next few months.

Following up would be Symphonia and Phatantasia, in that order. I wanted a good RPG for the gamecube and at the time, knew of the Tales series from Phantasia. Phantasia because I was new to the SNES emulation scene and it was fully in english, so I played that after Link to the Past.

wow, i've only played those 3 as well. i did like symphonia the most though. just personal bias.

Is there any Tales games for PC, coz I gotta feeling I haven't venture into that genre in PC gaming.
Ain't got no console to play console games.

Tales of the Abyss is my favorite, ,ostly because i liked the characters and the story.
Symphonia comes at 2nd place though.

Tales of Symphonia was my favorite Tales game, with Tales of the Abyss being second in the list. I just got Tales of Vesperia in today though, I can't wait to give it a try ^^! And sadly I don't think that there are any Tales games for the PC alexsdu.. Not to my knowledge at least.

Reactions: alexsdu
Tales of Destiny is my fave tales followed by Symphonia and Abyss. ToD was so cool cos I loved that all the characters had their own unique swords. I'm cliche like that =X

Is there any Tales games for PC, coz I gotta feeling I haven't venture into that genre in PC gaming.
Ain't got no console to play console games.

Well, there aren't any on PC Tales titles that I know of (or I could be wrong, anyone can correct me if so), but they're are emulators that can play some. I'd recommend just buying the consoles for the newer ones, it's really worth it if you already have a console (or would consider), I think anyway.

Dolphin kinda sucks for ToS (the NGC one @ least..) because of the sound for me when I tried it (perfect on console/Wii), but ToS2 would be perfect for PC (can't remember which rev I used for dolphin though) if you look up some compatibility for your emulator ;) .

Tales of Phantasia plays perfectly on many snes emus out there (I recommend snes9x) w/ an eng translation out, plus the ones on PSX ( Tales of.., ..Destiny, ..Eternia/..Destiny II, ..Phantasia, etc.), would also be perfect to test on an ePSXe 1.7.0 emu if you have it.

There are so many on PS2 I really can't list them all right now (hard to miss :P ), get yourself a PCSX2 somewhere and use that (if you hadn't). If you've got good PC specs, PCSX2 should play most Tales games. It can be a slow emu @ times (for me), but you should have no prob if you tweak some settings.

I recommend getting consoles, but emus are a great work around if you rather use your PC for gaming.

BTW speaking of Tales, anyone else played ToV yet?

I recently got it for my 360 (which eventually RLOD'ed :( ) awhile ago, so now now I'm getting the import on PS3 (w/ Patty Fleur! :P ) lol.

Super-excited :cheering:

Hmm, my fav would be Tales of Eternia and then Abyss.

I like tales because the battle system. It's like playing a fighting game.

Tales of Eternia simply because that is the only tales games I played where all of the characters are likeable and Reid reminds me of myself a little bit:D

hmm...i like all tales game^^...but i think my fave is eternia...reason?..hmm...because it's the first

one tales game that i played...

My favorite was Tales of the Abyss, because it had some feelings put to it + it had Jade ahaha that guy = hysterical. Oh yeah and it was also my first one I've played.

Mythology cuz it the 1st one I played.... Plus you create your own player while having a team of past tales in them....

hmm...yeah that jade pretty harsh:>...too bad there's no summon :/

Tough decision. It's either Tales of Phantasia or Eternia for me. Having access to so many Mystic Artes is what made Rid my favourite character in the beginning. Plus, being voiced by Akira Ishida was a bonus for me. Both games had a multitude of bosses which I liked and I really loved the move sets each character had in those two games. Phantasia characters had the most broken move set ever. Both had their pluses and rarely any cons in my opinion, so I'd say these two were my favourite. The only problem being is that the older Tales games (Phantasia, Eternia, Destiny(PSX version)) did not have access to Grade Shops or to put it specifically, new game plus bonuses. The remakes all did, save for Eternia since the PSP version was a direct port of the PSX version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Panda_409 wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
sorry,https://www.anime-sharing.com/members/nihonjaki90.129971/ link is dead,can you reupload it?thank u!
a3526370 wrote on Shine's profile.
https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01031777.html
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/230414-色仕掛け工房-淫魔てんぷてーしょん-ver23-08-21-rj01031777.1302627/
please upload version 2.0.0 thanks!
AUO wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi is there Can you reupload this?
Sirvipe235 wrote on Shine's profile.
https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01042053.html

Could you please upload this game?I have spent months searching for it, but no luck at all.