Fate Zero

Wow. If you weren't impressed by Rider before, you are sure to be impressed now.
So I was sitting here yawning at the inevitably boring teaparty by Saber/Rider/Archer until the former two started arguing about what a true King is. I literally had my mouth open at Rider's powerful speech (not to mention powerful voice acting, damn!). But it doesn't stop there, no, Rider finally shows his Phantasm Marble by summoning a whole army of his era. Animation quality went up by a notch too as Assassins got Zerg rushed left and right.

Effin' A. Saber looks like a clown after this episode. Poor thing.

Well, that was certainly refreshing after episode 10.
Episode 10 was really bad, to the point of being filler "moe loli fanservice" even if it was written for the anime by Nasu...

But it might have made this episode SO much better after that letdown. We finally get to see why Iskandar's attitude gets even Gilgamesh to respect him, and his reality marble. The animation was pretty good with the army, even if they did turn into black specs at times.

Still, the reveal is one of the few scenes we had to look forward to in this first half of the series and it certainly lived up to expectations, heh.

Saber’s Status:
☐ Told.
☐ Fucking Told.
☑ Knights of the TOLD Table

I love how Saber always get destroyed about how dumb her wish is. Get back in the kitchen and make Shirou sandwich.

Also lol'd @ Rider's last line to Saber and totally dismissing her voice totally.

Rider stole the show in both talk and action this episode. Still disappointed with this episode though. The reason for Iskandar finding Saber was cut, The reason for Assassin coming was also cut, Gil's theory of becoming King was cut, characterisation of caster couple was cut......cut cut cut cut... Many important foreshadowings/ impacts/ plots points/ emotional devices were all cut, along with horrible direction with horrible off model art.

Hmm...

Considering it was supposed to be plot driven, the episode skipped some important parts again..

Gill and Kirei's conversation also had a lot of animation issues with their faces changing almost every cutaway on top of sharing the same head with different features at times. Also got a bit ridiculous with how much foreshadowing they emphasized.

Could say the same about Saber and Irisviel since they shared the same exact head multiple times, just with different hair/eyes.

Still, I guess it needed to be done, and hopefully the animation will be better used in a fight scene.

But it really annoys me that episode 10 basically got Kara no Kyoukai level effects when it was pretty much filler, lol..

What I find with Fate/Zero is that most of the episodes are excellent when evaluated individually, but the net effect of them thus far is a somewhat stagnant plot.

In other words, as good as much of the dialogue is, not a whole lot of significance in the Holy Grail War itself has happened thus far.

Kayneth was knocked out and replaced by Sola-Ui, meaning that a Lancer team is still around.

The Assassins have all been eliminated, but Kotomine has been chosen by the Grail to continue on.

Between Kayneth and the Assassins, it's kind of like one competing pair out of seven being eliminated, I suppose. That's not terrible, but it's not much either for 12 episodes worth of Grail competition. With this in mind, I'd have no issue with dialogue-heavy episodes like this one if the action-oriented ones had resulted in more significant changes in the competition itself.

Now, that being said, for a dialogue-heavy episode, this was very good. Kiritsugu strategizing was genuinely fun to watch, as it's one of the character's strengths and puts some real focus back on the competition itself, which is good to see.

Saber and Irisviel's scenes weren't particularly exciting, but they did make for a good lighter contrast to the Kiritsugu and Kotomine/Gilgamesh scenes. Saber and Irisviel do have pretty good chemistry between them, and watching them care about and respect each other a lot has a sort of contagious effect for me, where it also makes me care about and respect them more as well. Irisviel's overall condition is certainly one that encourages great sympathy, and so it's good for that to provide added emotional investment here.

The highlight of the episode was definitely the Kotomine/Gilgamesh scene, though. It had that rare combo that often makes for such great drama: subtle but intense. The conversation between them has a slight poetic quality to it that kept it from becoming dull, but it was also comprehensible enough to follow without getting completely lost. Just the right amount of "talking in riddles", in other words.

PS: The budget cut in these two episodes are too obvious lol.

Wavered (*rimshot*) on Waver and Rider wayyyy to long really considering it was the finale for this half of the series.

Was nice to at least see Casters Cthulhu transformation in this season I guess. Although the budget for the episode was seemingly put into the last 20 seconds of the episode to make it look like it should have to begin with.

Still, leaves you with kind of a sour taste considering we will not see the continuation until April..

Still, leaves you with kind of a sour taste considering we will not see the continuation until April..

Seems like it's the "thing" to do for this season...and unlike Horizon which is doing essentially the same thing, only even longer wait, F/Z cuts off at an awkward frame. At least it wasn't much of a cliffhanger so I can forget about it until April.

About time Ryunosuke got some depth as a character. He had easily been the least interesting Master thus far and, with Caster's demise likely approaching, I was worried he'd meet his end as a fairly one dimensional serial killer. But that speech of his that managed to move even the great Bluebeard was not only compelling but also hilarious. It's clear they're a rather special pair to Urobuchi, what with how they basically described the way he likely goes about writing his stories, not to mention Caster pulling out freaking Chtulu, a known favourite of Mr. Butch.

I also love how the pursuit of entertainment seems to be a recurring theme in this series and how so many of the characters have voiced their ideologies on it. Last week we had Gilgamesh's morally ambivalent views on the matter and Kotomine being faced with some unpleasant truths regarding his own, and now this week we've got Caster and Ryunosuke speaking of God as if he were a mere entertainer himself, and even Waver scoffing at videogames for being low-class entertainment, before being taught yet another valuable life lesson from the larger than life and ever endearing King of Conquerors.

As for the end of the episode... certainly a cruel cliffhanger. Oh well, see you next time in April.

Hi again April, /me revives thread.

Its F/Z round 2 in every literal sense. Business picks up where we left off, with our heroes facing off with Bluebeard's gigantic octopus mob. Due to the regenerative powers, Saber and Rider combined cant do a dent on it. Mean while, Tokiomi runs into trouble controlling Gilgamesh (again), and Berserker joins the fray with his flashy fighter jet take-over. While fight ensures between gilgamesh and berserker, their masters face off with a men's talk, thats if, Tokiomi can be called a man (I guess so, since he produced 2 daughters, but...).

That whole confrontation only went to serve all support votes for poor Kariya, who i feel is more suited to be the girls' father. Easily the most pitiful guy in this franchise, his love for the girls and care for their well-being and futures are more sincere and straight-forward as a MAN. Unlike his counterpart in Tokiomi, who wishes to pit his daughters together on opposite ends of war eventually, calling the adoptation a blessing made me sick (lest already completed the novel, but dear Aizen-sama VA did a good job being the sickening wuss in Tokiomi). At this point, I really do not think there is anyone who wouldnt pity Kariya, let alone listening to the magician crap Tokiomi spouted. My highlight of the episode was this scene, as it brought good and powerful emotions for loved ones, in contrast to an irresponsible man.

CGs, CGs and more CGs! Octopus and fighter jets were one, berserker and his noble phantasm was sick. That air fight with Gilgamesh was a great scene to behold, never thought it would be done so well in animation. Gilgamesh doesnt really appear to be his overpowered status in F/SN, but watching him not breaking even a sweat in a crazy air battle with a crazy servant just goes to justify his point as King of Kings. Look at him go!

Other than the above 2 scenes, Ryuunosuke's death was inevitable, with that headshot!

We will see that chivalry spirit next week, so stay tuned.

Mfw Tokiomi is no longer in his basement lolol.

Truly glorious stuff, all around.

Great action, great dialogue, great character moments, great personality conflicts, great unpredictability - The full nine yards and then some.

It's anime episodes like this one that remind me why I became an anime fan in the first place. The great visual flourishes and superbly scintillating style of anime episodes like this one is something you just don't see outside of anime, imo.

And it did such a marvelous job of balancing all of the major characters to.

Berserker vs. Gilgamesh in a Stealth Fighter-style dog fight*, Tohsaka vs. Kariya, Caster laughing maniacally after his Immortal Monster swallowed a fighter jet whole, the death scene in this episode, and the trio of Saber, Lancer, and Rider all against Caster, was all pure gold, much like Gilgamesh's armor and priceless facial expressions. Just non-stop drama and suspense done to the most fitting visuals imaginable.

The new OP and ED are really good too.

No need for spoilers for this episode.

EXCALIBURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

No need for spoilers for this episode.

EXCALIBURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Except she adds "kusu" after the "ex" and sounds more like she's shouting "BARRRRRR". Much like caster and his "My dear JOHN!!"

the usual plot conveniences like usual and stuff like just 1 of Rider's soldiers describing their fight vs Cthulhu really got to me.

Not to mention Berserker versus Gilgamesh.. Reaction shots being used instead of showing the "berserker noble phantasm modified flares" that turned into incendiary bombs and blew up up his Vimana in that 4 second scene.

On top of everything else he used that originally was supposed to fucking hurt Gill to the point that the only thing that saved him from having to get serious or risk being defeated was Berserker seeing Saber and going off to try and destroy her like usual.

All added up into some "Oh really? We needed to see the spirit bomb build up instead of anything else..........?

Man I watch it with some reservation

For one thing I already read the novel

And I really don't like it this dark

1) I love how it doesn't feel like a single moment is wasted in this episode, but at the same time the plot movements are easy to follow. So it's neither too slow, or too rushed, just perfectly right.

2) Lots of great character moments all around. Gen deserves top marks for using the Holy Grail war has an excellent vehicle for multiple intriguing character studies. Now that these character studies are accentuated by explosive action scenes, they take upon them a greater drama and depth for me.

3) Good to see some real progression in the Holy Grail war, and I liked how Rider proclaimed that it would all come down to him vs. Gilgamesh. That was a bit arrogant of Rider, perhaps, but I also like how that shows that the competitive focus is starting to really tighten now.

R.I.P Diarmund.

There you have it, Kiritsugu shows his true colors. Probably one of the parts I was really hoping to see animated and done well, yet another part of me had serious sympathies. Yes, episode did everything HELLA done. Its almost better than the novel. What I really hate was, poor Lancer leaving us. Betrayed by his master just like his previous life, there's no way he would not hate and curse everything he stood and fought for. Poor Saber too, 'betrayed' by Kiritsugu and his ideals. Rest in peace Diarmund, you really were a great participant of the war.

Kiritsugu's 'first' conversation with Saber. Yes, like I mentioned months ago, they really do not talk to one another. They go through Iri as the messenger, and held their first talk in the episode. Talk of ideals, salvation and being the devil himself, Kiritsugu may sound all righteous and mighty, but you cant help but to agree and disagree at the very same time. Its this precious dialouges that make this show, and in this episode's case, it brought out the elements very well.

Back to the earlier parts, father getting shot while he saved an enemy, Kirei's first step into corruption has begun. I will refrain from more spoilers.

Excellent episode again, fight was dead awesome as it lasted, drawings still top-notch. The bullet rain was splendidly done too.

Oh Lancer, yet again you must die this way... (´・ω・`). Even Iri is pissed at Kiri's action.

Being lancer is suffering, luck lower than D indeed.

Good night sweet prince.

After Carnival Phantasm I could only imagine:
playing during the death or to show up in the credits, lol..

Anyways,

They really didn't do a very good job with the HEAVY dose of foreshadowing throuhgout the episode, lol. Even if you didn't know what was going to happen it would have been fairly obvious I'd think. Much like the other foreshadowing besides Kirei.

Either way, still enjoyable as hell.

Kiritsugu backstory episode next up before everything kicks into overdrive it seems.

Last edited:
IR5UI.jpg

The pacing in this episode felt rushed and the transitioning was jerky, but it was a good episode nevertheless. Finally Kirei breaks free from his shell and embraces his true nature, which is none other than reveling in the suffering of others. The scene during which he stabs Tokiomi was very well done in the sense that they managed to convey a tense, malicious aura, leading to the backstabbing.

I never liked Tokiomi, but I couldn't help sympathizing with him this episode, especially when thinking about Rin. And seriously, what was with Gilgamesh appearing and disappearing and reappearing around Kirei? He must be really bored.

On the other hand, Iri's growing weaker, and things are definitely not looking good for Kiritsugu. (Nor the remaining Masters.)

This was a surprisingly good rendition of one of my least favorite parts of the novels.

Honestly, I always felt that this interlude was sort of half-hearted as it was written; it just didn't seem to have much passion to it, and as a result, felt a bit by the numbers.

The staging of the adaptation (along with the extra material) really tied this episode into the themes of the rest of the series. I particularly liked the editing with Shirley asking him (in flashback) what kind of man he wants to grow up to be, as he's chambering the bullet in the gun. It feels obvious to write it, but it was effective as animated.

Additionally, I liked the parallels to Kirei's place in the last eps. Now, both have killed their own fathers...

I thought this episode was a surprisingly strong adaptation of a relatively weak part of the books. I'll be interested if they'll use the entire next episode to finish off the novel's Interlude, or just half of it. It could certainly fit a whole episode, but that does seem kind of a long time to spend in an extended flashback, even though I really love Natalia.

^ Similar feels about this part of the novel and now animated

New revelation of his past, on how he had a dear onee-san, how he killed his pops, and Natalia bringing him up as a mage hunter. Natalia is an awesome lady, seriously. She's easily a top favorite character in this franchise. Watanabe Akeno was the only one I thought fit for Natalia's voice, and sure ufotable didnt disappoint me by bringing her in. Her end was anti-climatic, though I am sure she's already anticipated the end when chatting with Kiritsugu.

So in spite of all these, is Kiritsugu really worth the pity? No. Not even a bit even till now. The way he led his life before and after deems a lot of unforgivable acts, which rubs off to his 'son' Emiya later in F/SN.

So with this over, our stage will switch to the final battle for the grail. Things literally get uglier from now on.

Hated it in the original, hated it animated.. Whole thing just leaves you wanting to see the actual story instead of something out of Tsukihime...

There's so many holes in the actual story it makes it a big "Ok whatever, it's just character development anyways." But the stuff just adds up again and again throughout it..

"Taiga's supposed to be just like Shirley..........?" "Bee's can't use air vents? "Doors are all it takes to stop ghouls now?" "That complicates and explains nothing about his bull shit almost made up on the fly abilities and powers as a magus he pulls out of nowhere sometimes.."

Just frustrates the hell out of you if you take this stuff as anything but a cheap excuse to give Kiritsugu some back story..

They even cut corners like crazy with the budget with things like Natalia's head/body was almost always just a recycling of the horrendous and cheap one they use for Gilgamesh and Kirei during all their dialogue heavy conversations...

:rant:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Glaymez wrote on Shine's profile.
Will you upload this game by any chance? That would be amazing

https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01198627.html - 犯られたままじゃおわれないっ!!
Mistersmiles wrote on ramori's profile.
Hi Ramori,

Could you please upload this? https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01197309.html

The draught seems to be over, and interesting games are coming out one after another.

Thanks a ton!
In the trenches desperate to play Shiro to Kuro no Alice
awsater wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
Could you update RJ01114470 please? It's in 12 parts, but parts 7 and 9 are missing. There are no problems with the rest.
Irish99 wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
Hello can you please reupload いたずらっ娘 ~うちの娘にかぎって to katfile or mexashare if you have the time.